Hi I am getting my Z30 in a few days and am just learning about the miracast technology, i was wondering if anyone uses it and had some recommendations of which one to get or if they are all the same.
    On ebay there are several hdmi dongles and don't really know the difference, or if they will work with and hdmi display. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

Z10 and waiting for BB10 SLIDER
    04-03-14 04:53 PM
    Hi I am getting my Z30 in a few days and am just learning about the miracast technology, i was wondering if anyone uses it and had some recommendations of which one to get or if they are all the same.
    On ebay there are several hdmi dongles and don't really know the difference, or if they will work with and hdmi display. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

Netgear pvt3000 or new belkin one. On amazon. Get the technical names then ebay the exact model. Cheers.

Also some panasonic blu ray players have miracast built in.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 04:57 PM
    Good idea to ask here first, as many (most?) of the cheap dongles will NOT work because they require software (EZcast) on the handset to configure and link with them that is not available on BB10 and the Android version does not work on BB10 devices.
    There is actually a pretty limited selection of confirmed working dongles. There are already threads about it, so search and read them if you don't want to wait for an answer here.
    *Note that the Belkin and Netgear adapters are $50-$80 at Amazon. I have not seen an inexpensive, small form factor dongle yet that is confirmed compatible with our Z30's.
    04-03-14 05:01 PM
    Netgear pvt3000 or new belkin one. On amazon. Get the technical names then ebay the exact model. Cheers.

Also some panasonic blu ray players have miracast built in.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks going to look into those models

04-03-14 05:02 PM
    Good idea to ask here first, as many (most?) of the cheap dongles will NOT work because they require software (EZcast) on the handset to configure and link with them that is not available on BB10 and the Android version does not work on BB10 devices.
    There is actually a pretty limited selection of confirmed working dongles. There are already threads about it, so search and read them if you don't want to wait for an answer here.
    I did a quick search here "miracast" didn't see much, but yes when I get back to a pc I will look a little further, but nice to know not all work, glad I didn't buy one yet. Thanks

04-03-14 05:05 PM
    04-03-14 05:53 PM
    I have only tried it a couple of times with my new Panasonic TV...stuttered and was not smooth...my TV is wired via Cat 5 cable...my phone was via a fairly far wifi....theb again I suppose it talks directly to the TV wifi.

I have a new Panasonic Blue Ray player I could maybe try as well

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 05:59 PM
    I have the NetGear PTV3000 (got it from Amazon.ca) - best one I've tried. works as advertized - zero stuttering etc. Mirrors the screen of my Z30, plays all videos, music etc and anything I can throw at it. Highly recommend it.
    04-03-14 06:08 PM
    I recommend a ten dollar hdmi to micro hdmi. I stream movies all the time, and it barely drains the battery since you can hit the lock Hutton and turn the display off. The movie will still play with no issues. I played 2 movies a couple weekends ago and only used 25-30 percent battery. That's 4+ hours if streaming.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 06:51 PM
    I've used the p2tv3000. It works, but I do get some lag when streaming YouTube.

Posted via CB10
    dicarolla likes this.
    04-03-14 07:16 PM
    I have toshiba tv can I use Miracast? :/
    And what I need to connect to my tv!?

Posted via CB10 - Q5
    04-03-14 07:39 PM
    I recommend a ten dollar hdmi to micro hdmi. I stream movies all the time, and it barely drains the battery since you can hit the lock Hutton and turn the display off. The movie will still play with no issues. I played 2 movies a couple weekends ago and only used 25-30 percent battery. That's 4+ hours if streaming.

Posted via CB10
    Ya i have a wire, just like to play with new toys, i heard the z30 has good battery life so wanted to test it out...

04-03-14 09:29 PM
    I have toshiba tv can I use Miracast? :/
    And what I need to connect to my tv!?

Posted via CB10 - Q5
    That's what I was asking, what people are saying is pretty much go with the netgear pvt3000 that connects into your display, then you can send your screen signal from your z30 to the display wirelessly. Also they are saying not to just get any miracast hdmi dongles because they probably will not work.

04-03-14 09:34 PM
    I have only tried it a couple of times with my new Panasonic TV...stuttered and was not smooth...my TV is wired via Cat 5 cable...my phone was via a fairly far wifi....theb again I suppose it talks directly to the TV wifi.

I have a new Panasonic Blue Ray player I could maybe try as well

Posted via CB10
    Ya i have an old samsung, bought it the year before smart tvs started to come on the market, and it's hooked up to my pc

04-03-14 09:57 PM
    I have the NetGear PTV3000 (got it from Amazon.ca) - best one I've tried. works as advertized - zero stuttering etc. Mirrors the screen of my Z30, plays all videos, music etc and anything I can throw at it. Highly recommend it.
    what he said

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 10:49 PM
    My next TV will have miracast so that I won't need an adapter or dongle. Here's some info on LG TV's that support miracast & NFC:

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...tv/connect.jsp

Posted via CB10 from my Z30.
    04-04-14 09:30 AM
    Price looks good, not sure I want to be the guinea pig though, I'll try to see if anyone has tried it...

04-04-14 02:20 PM
    My next TV will have miracast so that I won't need an adapter or dongle. Here's some info on LG TV's that support miracast & NFC:

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...tv/connect.jsp

The dongle is good for traveling I think, but when buying a TV I think it's best to find one with the most options because usually you would like to keep it for 10 years or more if possible. I know I'm not buying a new one until mine dies, also has to be in a good price range, they drop in price pretty fast. That's my opinion on tvs at least, maybe others think different...

04-04-14 02:26 PM
    The dongle is good for traveling I think, but when buying a TV I think it's best to find one with the most options because usually you would like to keep it for 10 years or more if possible. I know I'm not buying a new one until mine dies, also has to be in a good price range, they drop in price pretty fast. That's my opinion on tvs at least, maybe others think different...

I'm with you. I normally buy the largest I can afford with the most new features so that it's relevant for at least a few years. And yes, the lifespan of a tv should at least be 10 years.

dicarolla likes this.
    04-04-14 03:05 PM
    Here are 2 examples with and without a dongle I like to share. Each one has its own merit.

Example 1: No dongle

Most home TVs are not ready for Miracast if they are older than a year or so. This is my case. So instead of buying a new TV I accessed my Z30 media files via a disk player (I needed one anyway) from , say Sony (Model BDP-S5100) for $90. This model allows 2 options for playing media content from the Z30.

Option 1: The Z30 is the Miracast server and the diskplayer accesses the files via its own remote control device from your phone via the local WiFi link. One has to allow file sharing on the Z30 via Setting/Media Sharing/Share Music, Pictures, Videos or the player cannot access those files.

Option 2: The Z30 is the Miracast server and the diskplayer is the 'dummy' player, i.e. it renders your movie by sending it to the TV via an HDMI cable. This time you don't need to share you files via Media Sharing. To play your media content, i.e. music, pictures or movies one uses the 'Play on' feature on the Z30.

E.G. you start a movie, select the more button , select 'Play on', wait for the Miracast device to appear, (e.g. in my case BDPS5100), select the Miracast device, wait a bit and the movie will play on the TV.

Example 1 works only if the Z30 and player are on the same WiFi network and the player IP address has been selected via the Z30 media sharing option. Of course, if one has Internet via the network one can play Netflix and many other services directly via the Sony player directly from the Internet. This is an alternative to upgrade one's TV without tying up the Z30 as a rendering device playing Netflix movies.

Example 2: With dongle (Gateway)

I you want to get the best Miracast experience you need a special dongle as suggested in other threads. I bought a Viewsonic WPC-370 for $120, which has HDMI, VGA and Phillips stereo outputs for HDMI TVs, overhead projectors, PC monitors and stereo speakers. This is basically a WiFi video and music gateway with more reach then a Bluetooth gateway.

This device duplicates whatever is on your Z30 screen: Netflix movies, YouTube movies, Z30 movies.
    If you buy a dongle check the file formats that dongle can support. This one supports .mp3, .3gp (BB 5 & 6 movie format which the Sony player does not support) and .mp4 files (and many more) without a problem. You don't need a home WiFi network to use this device because it has its own WiFi access point built in.

WPC-370 is good for people who need to make a PowerPoint presentation but don't know what to expect at the customer for hardware or networks. Anyhow, it worked great for me watching the 'Olympics' live via the CBC Sorchi Android app or watching a Netflix movie without a glitch. It has other features but this thread is about Miracast so I stop here.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 09:11 PM
    Here are 2 examples with and without a dongle I like to share. Each one has its own merit.

Example 1: No dongle

Most home TVs are not ready for Miracast if they are older than a year or so. This is my case. So instead of buying a new TV I accessed my Z30 media files via a disk player (I needed one anyway) from , say Sony (Model BDP-S5100) for $90. This model allows 2 options for playing media content from the Z30.

Option 1: The Z30 is the Miracast server and the diskplayer accesses the files via its own remote control device from your phone via the local WiFi link. One has to allow file sharing on the Z30 via Setting/Media Sharing/Share Music, Pictures, Videos or the player cannot access those files.

Option 2: The Z30 is the Miracast server and the diskplayer is the 'dummy' player, i.e. it renders your movie by sending it to the TV via an HDMI cable. This time you don't need to share you files via Media Sharing. To play your media content, i.e. music, pictures or movies one uses the 'Play on' feature on the Z30.

E.G. you start a movie, select the more button , select 'Play on', wait for the Miracast device to appear, (e.g. in my case BDPS5100), select the Miracast device, wait a bit and the movie will play on the TV.

Example 1 works only if the Z30 and player are on the same WiFi network and the player IP address has been selected via the Z30 media sharing option. Of course, if one has Internet via the network one can play Netflix and many other services directly via the Sony player directly from the Internet. This is an alternative to upgrade one's TV without tying up the Z30 as a rendering device playing Netflix movies.

Example 2: With dongle (Gateway)

I you want to get the best Miracast experience you need a special dongle as suggested in other threads. I bought a Viewsonic WPC-370 for $120, which has HDMI, VGA and Phillips stereo outputs for HDMI TVs, overhead projectors, PC monitors and stereo speakers. This is basically a WiFi video and music gateway with more reach then a Bluetooth gateway.

This device duplicates whatever is on your Z30 screen: Netflix movies, YouTube movies, Z30 movies.
    If you buy a dongle check the file formats that dongle can support. This one supports .mp3, .3gp (BB 5 & 6 movie format which the Sony player does not support) and .mp4 files (and many more) without a problem. You don't need a home WiFi network to use this device because it has its own WiFi access point built in.

WPC-370 is good for people who need to make a PowerPoint presentation but don't know what to expect at the customer for hardware or networks. Anyhow, it worked great for me watching the 'Olympics' live via the CBC Sorchi Android app or watching a Netflix movie without a glitch. It has other features but this thread is about Miracast so I stop here.

Posted via CB10
    Very nice write up thank you.

Posted via Z30 on CB10
    04-04-14 09:39 PM
    Okay, I took a chance and ordered this (used my Amazon rewards Points). It took a couple of weeks to get here - didn't realize it would be shipping from China. Anyway, it arrived today.
    The device is MANUALLY switchable between DNLA mode and Miracast mode by way of a small button on the side. As soon as it is placed it in Miracast mode, my Z30 finds it as a Miracast Device, connects to it, and mirrors the display just fine.
    So, this device DOES work. That's all I can say after a very short test period. I have not tested range or reliability. I am using it at fairly close range right now and have not noticed any issues with the video's I tried. Still, movies I downloaded from BB World are the only thing that would not work, sadly, presumably because of annoying DRM issues. I even had issue playing those movies using a HDMI cable connected through my HDMI reciever - they only worked if I plugged the HDMI cable directly into my TV. Everything else seems to be working.
    04-17-14 05:23 PM
    Okay, I took a chance and ordered this (used my Amazon rewards Points). It took a couple of weeks to get here - didn't realize it would be shipping from China. Anyway, it arrived today.
    The device is MANUALLY switchable between DNLA mode and Miracast mode by way of a small button on the side. As soon as it is placed it in Miracast mode, my Z30 finds it as a Miracast Device, connects to it, and mirrors the display just fine.
    So, this device DOES work. That's all I can say after a very short test period. I have not tested range or reliability. I am using it at fairly close range right now and have not noticed any issues with the video's I tried. Still, movies I downloaded from BB World are the only thing that would not work, sadly, presumably because of annoying DRM issues. I even had issue playing those movies using a HDMI cable connected through my HDMI reciever - they only worked if I plugged the HDMI cable directly into my TV. Everything else seems to be working.
    Just curious before I order this device, how do you find the android netflix app work with it? Does it display in full screen view? Would you mind testing how far from TV you have to be before it stops working? Thank you for your help.

Posted via swift BlackBerry �? Z30!
    04-17-14 06:04 PM
    Busy schedule, but will do further testing when I get a chance.
    04-17-14 09:56 PM
    Busy schedule, but will do further testing when I get a chance.
    Awesome thanks for the info, definitely let us know how netflix is, if it works well I'll probably pick one up.

Z30 and waiting for BB10 SLIDER
    04-17-14 11:02 PM
27 12