The netgear option actually has a review of a person using it with no problems on amazon, so I just might try that.

Z30, a bit in the heavy side but the Carbonate beta case rocks!
    01-26-14 10:35 AM
    I also bought a dongle that has mirracast, Dnla and you have to use the Ezcast software to connect to it. Works from my pc, my friends android but not when I try with the z30 running the Ezcast app for android. I also have an android pc stick wich has mirracast on it, they see each other for a second but then disconnect. ....

Z30, a bit in the heavy side but the Carbonate beta case rocks!
    That is exactly my issue with this Tronsmart product.
    01-26-14 11:54 AM
    If anyone is having issues connecting to their BB10 device, it is imperative that you update the firmware on your miracast dongle to the most recent update. A lot of the dongles ship with older firmware that doesn't support the protocols that BB10 uses. This happened to me. And once I updated to the most recent firmware it works beautifully with every single device in my house that has miracast or widi. Please let it be known that if you are using a dongle, the type of TV has absolutely NO impact on whether you see the miracast feed or not.

Overall Miracast is quite amazing, granted there is a half second delay between an action you do on your phone and what shows up on the scree, but for video, photos, web browsing, presentations or even streaming music it works extremely well.
    So, can you recommend a specific receiver/adapter, please? I'm using a Z30 for video and I'm concerned only with performance, not cost.

Thanks.
    02-01-14 09:28 AM
    So, can you recommend a specific receiver/adapter, please? I'm using a Z30 for video and I'm concerned only with performance, not cost.

Thanks.
    If money is no concern, why not just get a new TV with miracast built in?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 09:38 AM
    If money is no concern, why not just get a new TV with miracast built in?

Posted via CB10
    I think that it's safe to say that his comment about the cost was reflecting to a difference in units running, $30 to $90 let's say...

There's a massive difference when comparing a$60 unit and a new TV for $3500.

Just saying

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 12:59 PM
    I think that it's safe to say that his comment about the cost was reflecting to a difference in units running, $30 to $90 let's say...

Just saying

Posted via CB10
    Seriously. I hugely appreciate the constructive comments on both sides. We're talking home and work both (this is for watching training videos of which I have tons to go through) and yes, I'm thinking of the difference between $30 and $90 when I say it's no object. (At the high end, I'm sure there's a point where I could pay the performers to just repeat the performance for me live on-site whenever I want to see it, right?)

And do we really know that a built-in would perform as well as or better than an adapter?

The information I'm seeing online about these things so far, after having done considerable reading of reviews, is that it can be spotty performance at best. Two things I've seen that seem to be worth noting are that the line of sight and lack of interference from other signals are important, and that having a device with the most recent firmware that's most compatible with the new version of Miracast in the BB10 10.2 phones is also important.

Beyond that, I'm really lacking for anything that seems to offer meaningful reassurance as to consistent, reliable performance -- even at the $90 level and even given that I'm just watching training videos that mostly consist of talking heads and I really don't need high-quality video reproduction... though a consistent, smooth stream without breaking up or choppiness would certainly be nice.
    02-01-14 04:44 PM

Thanks.
    I've been using the Actiontec Screenbeam and works perfectly with my Z30 and the rest of my household devices (Q10s) as well as my dad's microsoft surface Pro and friends' android smartphones.

Here's the link: ScreenBeam Pro by Actiontec - WiDi & Miracast Wireless Receiver - USA / Canada- SBP-U1
    02-02-14 01:25 PM
    Thx, I'll see if I can find one over here ( and sell the other dongle and android stick which are gathering dust)

Z30 Pooooooooower!!!
    02-02-14 10:39 PM
    Odd how these things all get modest reviews wherever one looks, regardless of the brand and model. I will consider this one, though. I appreciate it.

By the way, for using my Z30 to watch videos on my TV (and to use the TV for anything else I might be doing on the Z30 at the time), I've come upon two interesting considerations while spending altogether too much time reading forum posts these past few days:

1. An HDMI cable will almost always do better than wireless. To put it another way, an HDMI cable will always provide absolutely flawless performance. (All kinds of lengths are readily available, either with a mini-USB end or with a separate adapter).

2. If that cable stuck in the side of the device is an inconvenience -- and even if it isn't for that matter -- once you've got your Z30 showing its display on the TV, an infinitely more practical way to control the device than using your finger on the screen is with a Bluetooth mouse!

WOW! What a discovery that was! I picked up a Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse at Best Buy (T630 for Windows, and works great on my Z30 -- and even matches the color scheme of the Z30 for good measure). It paired right up, and now I'm leaving the device on the table and I'm looking only at the TV screen -- and doing everything on the TV with my mouse that I was doing before with my finger on the device! No difference in operation whatsoever, and, uh, infinitely more efficient!

Stoked!

(I also picked up an HP Bluetooth mouse but it's going back. I don't have the model with me. It's not as easy to control for the size of my hand as the Logitech, doesn't look nearly as cool as the Logitech -- white with gray -- and it has a right button and a scroll wheel that are useless with the Z30. The Logitech, on the other hand, has no scroll wheel and you just have one wide flat surface for clicking, as if it was just one big button. Perfect! They should be bundling this with the Z30!)
    00stryder and PatrickMJS like this.
    02-02-14 10:55 PM

Just saying.
    Hey, no disrespect was intended. There are a lot of people for whom a new $3,500 tv wouldn't be an issue at all. His expression "money is no object" is often the attitude of those kind of people. Plus, I totally would assume a brand new high end tv would have better Miracast hardware than could reasonably be expected in a sub$100 accessory. Just sayin'...!!!

Posted via CB10
    bbmtna likes this.
    02-03-14 09:47 AM
    ... by the way, for using my Z30 to watch videos on my TV (and to use the TV for anything else I might be doing on the Z30 at the time), I've come upon two interesting considerations while spending altogether too much time reading forum posts these past few days:

1. An HDMI cable will almost always do better than wireless. To put it another way, an HDMI cable will always provide absolutely flawless performance. (All kinds of lengths are readily available, either with a mini-USB end or with a separate adapter).

2. If that cable stuck in the side of the device is an inconvenience -- and even if it isn't for that matter -- once you've got your Z30 showing its display on the TV, an infinitely more practical way to control the device than using your finger on the screen is with a Bluetooth mouse!

WOW! What a discovery that was! I picked up a Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse at Best Buy (T630 for Windows, and works great on my Z30 -- and even matches the color scheme of the Z30 for good measure). It paired right up, and now I'm leaving the device on the table and I'm looking only at the TV screen -- and doing everything on the TV with my mouse that I was doing before with my finger on the device! No difference in operation whatsoever, and, uh, infinitely more efficient!

Stoked!

(I also picked up an HP Bluetooth mouse but it's going back. I don't have the model with me. It's not as easy to control for the size of my hand as the Logitech, doesn't look nearly as cool as the Logitech -- white with gray -- and it has a right button and a scroll wheel that are useless with the Z30. The Logitech, on the other hand, has no scroll wheel and you just have one wide flat surface for clicking, as if it was just one big button. Perfect! They should be bundling this with the Z30!)
    Go Logitech!

I have the Logitech bluetooth mouse, model V470. It works really good on both the Z10 and the PlayBook.

Before that, I had the Apple bluetooth mouse (I think it was called the "Magic Mouse" or some other catchy name) and it also worked good for pointing and clicking. But the Apple mouse's scroll feature didn't work on the PlayBook. The Logitech V470 has a scroll wheel that works fine on the PB.

I agree with your comment about the stability of the signal over hdmi. And I use the cheap hdmi cables sold here at Memory Express. I have a good home theatre system and it never disappoints.

The Logitech mouse coupled with the Apple BlueTooth keyboard is a sweet way to interact with the Z10 on a big screen.

Sometimes you just need to have a wireless connection though... such as when we were out on the deck listening to music streaming over DLNA (aka "Play On") to my $80 WDTV media centre to my home theatre. while on the deck, I was able to use the Z10 for calls and messages all while the music stream played continuously with a hiccup. Unlike my Apple-loving friend next door who tried to use his ipad to play music over his Apple TV during a cocktail party. The music started being distorted and skipping and he turned it off and couldn't figure out how to get it working again (cuz as ya know "it just works") so he put on some cds.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 10:20 AM
    I need to learn about DLNA. But, yeah, one of the many things that makes BB10 superior to the rest is the ability to use Miracast while doing all else.

I checked and the model of HP Bluetooth mouse I had tried was the Z5000. Not advisable! Not only is the scroll wheel "not" functional (interesting that yours was on your Logitech with your Z10) but a gesture to swipe up from the bottom to reduce an app doesn't even work either (I only tested the camera app but I'm sure it's universal) -- while that type of gesture works flawlessly with the Logitech Ultrathin Touch &630.

The only thing lacking for me, though, when using this Logitech Bluetooth mouse with my Z30, is that I can't do a "two-finger" swipe down from the top for the Magnifier (another amazing but little-known feature of BB10 phones, though I really don't need it when viewing on a TV anyway), and I can't do a two-finger swipe up from the bottom for a keyboard, either. Not that I expect to have much need for a keyboard, and I suppose that when I click in an editable field the keyboard always comes up anyway so I shouldn't need to manually invoke it (well, it "almost" always comes up when clicking in a text field when using my finger on the device screen, so we'll see -- and at worse I can always go to the device anyway, so it's no biggie -- and of course there's always a Bluetooth keyboard if I really, really felt the need for it).
    02-03-14 03:58 PM
    ... and I can't do a two-finger swipe up from the bottom for a keyboard, either. Not that I expect to have much need for a keyboard, and I suppose that when I click in an editable field the keyboard always comes up anyway so I shouldn't need to manually invoke it... and at worse I can always go to the device anyway, so it's no biggie -- and of course there's always a Bluetooth keyboard if I really, really felt the need for it).
    Ermmmm... if you invoke the phone's keyboard with your BT mouse and you aren't using a BT keyboard, don't you need to "go to the device anyway"? So, excuse me, but what again is the "problem" caused by not being able to do the 2 finger swipe from the bottom with a mouse?

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 06:57 AM
    Ermmmm... if you invoke the phone's keyboard with your BT mouse and you aren't using a BT keyboard, don't you need to "go to the device anyway"? So, excuse me, but what again is the "problem" caused by not being able to do the 2 finger swipe from the bottom with a mouse?Posted via CB10
    Ermmmmm.... Once the on-screen keyboard displays I can, uh, prolly use the Bluetooth mouse to "click" on the "keys" on the on-screen keyboard exactly as if I was tapping on them with my finger on the device, right?
    02-04-14 11:07 AM
    Odd how these things all get modest reviews wherever one looks, regardless of the brand and model. I will consider this one, though. I appreciate it.

By the way, for using my Z30 to watch videos on my TV (and to use the TV for anything else I might be doing on the Z30 at the time), I've come upon two interesting considerations while spending altogether too much time reading forum posts these past few days:

Stoked!

I was considering buying that mouse just yesterday but wasn't sure how well the gestures would work!

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 11:18 AM
    ...I also picked up an HP Bluetooth mouse but it's going back. I don't have the model with me. It's not as easy to control for the size of my hand as the Logitech, doesn't look nearly as cool as the Logitech -- white with gray -- and it has a right button and a scroll wheel that are useless with the Z30. The Logitech, on the other hand, has no scroll wheel and you just have one wide flat surface for clicking, as if it was just one big button. Perfect! They should be bundling this with the Z30!
    I was considering buying that mouse just yesterday but wasn't sure how well the gestures would work
    I should also mention that that the Logitech V470 bluetooth mouse has both a left and right button and a scroll wheel:
    - the scroll wheel works perfectly for scrolling up or down webpages, thru pages of photo thumbnails in the pictures app, and for scrolling inside text boxes such as this one, and other places where you would expect it to work,
    - the left button works as expected and a long press on the left button is "mostly" the same as a long press on the screen.
    - the right button works for a swipe up from the bottom of the screen or a swipe down from the top of the screen. And it also brings up a choice of "paste", "select" or "select all" when you do a right click.

This is the one that should be bundled with the Z10 & Z30, or whatever is the current Logitech model since the V470 I have is about 3 years old... and still rockin'!!!
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 02-04-14 at 02:34 PM.
    02-04-14 12:13 PM
    I should also mention that that the Logitech V430 bluetooth mouse has both a left and right button and a scroll wheel:
    - the scroll wheel works perfectly for scrolling up or down webpages, thru pages of photo thumbnails in the pictures app, and for scrolling inside text boxes such as this one, and other places where you would expect it to work,
    - the left button works as expected and a long press on the left button is "mostly" the same as a long press on the screen.
    - the right button works for a swipe up from the bottom of the screen or a swipe down from the top of the screen. And it also brings up a choice of "paste", "select" or "select all" when you do a right click.

This is the one that should be bundled with the Z10 & Z30, or whatever is the current Logitech model since the V430 I have is about 3 years old... and still rockin'!!!
    That's very interesting. But can you please double-check that model number? Logitech V430 is coming up as a headset, not as a mouse.

EDIT: Well, not really as a headset, either.
    02-04-14 12:24 PM
    That's very interesting. But can you please double-check that model number? Logitech V430 is coming up as a headset, not as a mouse.

EDIT: Well, not really as a headset, either.
    Oooops, my bad... it's the Logitech V470. Thanks for spotting that. I'll go back and edit the previous post.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 02:32 PM
    Oooops, my bad... it's the Logitech V470. Thanks for spotting that. I'll go back and edit the previous post.

Posted via CB10
    Looks interesting. The newer version is the M555b. Both have very good reviews.
    02-04-14 03:49 PM
    I should also mention that that the Logitech V470 bluetooth mouse has both a left and right button and a scroll wheel:

This is the one that should be bundled with the Z10 & Z30, or whatever is the current Logitech model since the V470 I have is about 3 years old... and still rockin'!!!
    I just want to clarify, please, before I buy a V470 or M555b, that those functions you're describing are with a Z10 or Z30 phone, is that correct?

Thanks.
    02-07-14 12:31 PM
    I just want to clarify, please, before I buy a V470 or M555b, that those functions you're describing are with a Z10 or Z30 phone, is that correct?

Thanks.
    We have both the Z10 & the Z30 here and yes the V470 works the same on both.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 02:08 PM
    Anyone had experience with using miracast on 2013 Samsung smart tv's? Been trying to use the miracast on z30, my dad's nexus 5, and my laptop, and couldn't get it to work. I wonder if the Samsung miracast only works with Samsung devices....

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 06:04 PM
    Anyone had experience with using miracast on 2013 Samsung smart tv's? Been trying to use the miracast on z30, my dad's nexus 5, and my laptop, and couldn't get it to work. I wonder if the Samsung miracast only works with Samsung devices....

Posted via CB10
    You need to connect your TV to Wifi and perform the firmware update.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 06:36 PM
    I just purchased this, will post an update once I get the product and let you guys know how it works out.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=291054750902

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 07:34 PM
    You need to connect your TV to Wifi and perform the firmware update.

Posted via CB10
    I already upgraded the firmware to the newest firmware when I got the TV. Still not working. I have a f6300...

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 01:35 AM
68 123