I have seen some older posts claiming the official Blackberry Z10 media dock can be used with a Z30, but mentions "It will hang over a bit"

I have also seen the sellers of the official Blackberry Z10 dock with a note in the description "Does not work with Z30"

So, my questions are:
    Who is right?

Anyone here tried it?
    02-22-14 03:46 PM
    I have the Z10 OEM dock and there's no way my Z30 will fit in it.

Posted via CB10
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-22-14 04:48 PM
    I have the Z10 OEM dock and there's no way my Z30 will fit in it.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info.
    Could you describe a bit more detail, just so I have better understanding of the differences?
    02-22-14 05:00 PM
    It may work if someone is willing to modify the ends of the Z10 dock, however I am not sure. Only a theory that I have right now. Would be great if someone with an extra and a Z30 could give it a try.

Posted via CB10
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-22-14 06:27 PM
    The dock is designed specifically to fit the Z10. The device fits snugly, on its side, and connects via the USB port. The Z30 is obviously a larger device...simply won't fit in the BB OEM dock.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-23-14 05:51 PM
    I modified a Z10 dock and it works for the Z30. It was not the OEM dock, it was one off Amazing but I basically just took off the two ends that of the dock that curve up with a set of pliers. It's not beautiful, but the dock sits on my nightstand beside the bed so no one sees it. I use the Z30 power cord and it works fine, bedside mode and everything. Took me 2 minutes to plier off the plastic ends.

Posted via CB10
    HotFix, DaFoxGrey and greatwiseone like this.
    02-23-14 07:05 PM
    So basically, the USB and HDMI ports on the Z10 type docks are in the same alignment as a Z30, so other than the cradling and edges of the Z10 dock housing, the Z30 would line up and plug in?
    One could, with some skill, tools, and materials, modify a Z10 dock to let a Z30 fit?

The next question, for the users of an OEM Z10 dock on their Z10, is the dock a "Smart Accessory" like the OEM docks for the BB7 devices?
    Those docks had a chip or something that would trigger user options set for the devices, such as mute notifications when plugged in or go into bedside mode when plugged in.
    Or is that just a legacy function no longer used with BB10?

Reasoning behind my questions, is that I do miss my docks.
    For both of my previous Blackberry's I had desktop docks for work and home.
    I had the office dock options on my device set to mute and the home one set to bedside, that way I got my notifications at work without bothering coworkers and wasn't woke up at night with emails coming in, but had full notifications while I was carrying the device.
    02-24-14 08:48 AM
    So basically, the USB and HDMI ports on the Z10 type docks are in the same alignment as a Z30, so other than the cradling and edges of the Z10 dock housing, the Z30 would line up and plug in?
    One could, with some skill, tools, and materials, modify a Z10 dock to let a Z30 fit?

The next question, for the users of an OEM Z10 dock on their Z10, is the dock a "Smart Accessory" like the OEM docks for the BB7 devices?
    Those docks had a chip or something that would trigger user options set for the devices, such as mute notifications when plugged in or go into bedside mode when plugged in.
    Or is that just a legacy function no longer used with BB10?

Reasoning behind my questions, is that I do miss my docks.
    For both of my previous Blackberry's I had desktop docks for work and home.
    I had the office dock options on my device set to mute and the home one set to bedside, that way I got my notifications at work without bothering coworkers and wasn't woke up at night with emails coming in, but had full notifications while I was carrying the device.

No, the dock is "dumb." The OS does not recognize it as anything other than a USB charger unfortunately.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-25-14 08:21 AM
    But when you do plug it in you get the little shade that drops down from the top that you can then drag down ( or sideways since it's on its side) to enter bedside mode.

Posted via CB10
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-25-14 09:07 AM
    Thanks all for the information.
    02-25-14 11:30 AM
    But when you do plug it in you get the little shade that drops down from the top that you can then drag down ( or sideways since it's on its side) to enter bedside mode.

Posted via CB10
    Correct - but plugging into a USB charger does the same thing. The phone doesn't "know" that it's in a dock.
    02-25-14 03:03 PM
    These docks seem to have been made freely available on amazon, i have bought a few already. they aqre available on most of amazon sites so far (.ca, .de, and .co.uk) all for around 10 plus delivery.

I am definitely going to try and chop those sides out, with some luck luck not only the Z30, but also the playbook fits as well. when i've done it i'm gonna post up some before and after pics.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-25-14 03:28 PM
    I modified a Z10 dock and it works for the Z30. It was not the OEM dock, it was one off Amazing but I basically just took off the two ends that of the dock that curve up with a set of pliers. It's not beautiful, but the dock sits on my nightstand beside the bed so no one sees it. I use the Z30 power cord and it works fine, bedside mode and everything. Took me 2 minutes to plier off the plastic ends.

Posted via CB10
    So you just took pliers to remove the ends? Can you post a picture? I got one for my Z10 and want to make one for the Z30 as well. Any recommendations as to how to do that would be appreciated. Thanks!
    04-24-14 12:48 AM
    These docks seem to have been made freely available on amazon, i have bought a few already. they aqre available on most of amazon sites so far (.ca, .de, and .co.uk) all for around 10 plus delivery.

I am definitely going to try and chop those sides out, with some luck luck not only the Z30, but also the playbook fits as well. when i've done it i'm gonna post up some before and after pics.
    Did you ever get around to doing this? Would appreciate any tips on getting rid of the sides...
    04-24-14 12:49 AM
    I filed them down, but there is a slight inward lip on the back that has to be filed as well. Already ruined one, need to find the time try again on another. But I reckon with enough time and patience it will work for the Z30 and the Playbook.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy white Z30 rocking 10.2.1.2947
    Last edited by raxamillion; 05-05-14 at 02:31 AM.
    04-25-14 05:49 PM
    I filed them down, but there is a slight inward kip on the back that has to be filed as well. Already ruined one, need to find the time try again in another. But I reckon with enough time and patience it will work for the Z30 and the Playbook.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy white Z30 rocking 10.2.1.2947
    Do you have any photos?

I Would like to get a multimedia dock for my Z30.
    05-02-14 05:28 AM
    You could use an NFC tag on the dock to tell the phone to do something when it is cradle in it. I have purchased a number of Z10 docks and I am going to remove the end tabs so that my Z30 and Playbook can fit in it.
    05-02-14 06:54 AM
    As I'm sure you know there are a number of after market docks for the Z10. The official one is a nice, hefty chunk of metal with a full sized HDMI port on the back. I imagine it would be a chore "shaping it" to fit a Z30.
    05-02-14 07:31 AM
    A careful dremel tool could do the shaping

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 07:15 PM
    Just bought a few off eBay to try for my z30 & playbooks, will keep you posted when I get them. Does anyone know if the USB OTG function will work thru the dock usb?

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 09:50 AM
    Here you go. The fit is snug, so I may have to shave a little off what is remaining of the front tags. Both my Zed30 and my PlayBook fit quite well.

Via my Zed30
    Attachment 269173
    05-10-14 11:22 AM
    The pics doesn't seem to load, any chance you can re-post? Any chance you could check if otg works thru it?

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 12:23 PM
    Hmm, it shows up on the crackberry app on my phone ok. I'll try again later on my laptop. I'll try the usb-otg as well, I have a portable hard drive I can try out.

Via my Zed30
    Rad_Book likes this.
    05-10-14 02:07 PM
    Try this image. I may take those front tabs off, i don't think they need to be there. As another poster noted, the back edge at the ends also need trimming back a little as they curve inwards to help cradle the original Z10 shape. There is enough screen edge exposed on the bottom edge to enable swiping up.

I attached a USB flash drive to the cradle using a usb-otg cable, put my phone in the cradle and it was found ok. I also tried a couple of hard drives. As soon as I connect them, I get a hub notification stating USB device problem. I'm guessing it may be down to power requirements not being met through the phone. I enabled USB mass storage mode on the phone and connected my phone/cradle to my laptop, where it found the SD card on my phone.

To be honest, the USB and HDMI ports on the cradle are just pass through connectors, so whatever works on the phone, will work on the cradle.

Media dock question.-img_20140504_165738_edit.jpg
    Rad_Book and DaFoxGrey like this.
    05-11-14 06:07 AM
    Thanks so much for doing that, I am now counting the days for my cradles to arrive.

Posted via CB10
    vserghi likes this.
    05-11-14 08:48 AM