Standard default settings sets the encryption to off
    Same on my Z10 and Z30.
    Is your device connected to any other type of network?
    Do you have link enabled over wifi on your device?
    Is your card set to mass storage mode?
    You might wanna turn those options off and see if it helps
    Or maybe even put your phone in flight mode and then try turning the encryption of

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    12-16-13 01:35 PM
    You're right, it does sound like a management software issue and maybe that is a part of the phone that is out of kilter. I asked the supplier to my university and they don't think that's an issue, and also one phone came straight from BB. I use my university's email but that is all so I don't see how they could be messing with the settings.
    12-16-13 04:04 PM
    I turned off link and put on airplane mode but no dice. I don't know how to find out if the card is in mas storage mode or exactly what that means. Aren't all media cards for storage?
    12-16-13 04:14 PM
    If you go to Settings > Storage and Access > USB Mass Storage, you can toggle it on and off. Additionally, there have to be some settings either connected with the SIM card or based on the phone that make you encrypt your storage media (SD card). As I stated previously, my company makes all storage devices connected to the computer to be encrypted before use (sounds like you have the same thing).
    12-16-13 04:26 PM
    Do you have any email accounts on the device? Can you do a factory restore doing link and skip all setup (do not sign into BlackBerry ID or configure accounts)? Also do this with NO SIM or SD card inserted. Do not restore a backup.

After getting past initial setup screen insert the SD card. If it doesn't encrypt then put in your SIM.

If it doesn't encrypt then sign into your BlackBerry ID.

If it doesn't encrypt then sign into your email account. One by one.

If it doesn't encrypt then let me know. If it encrypts at any step let me know what step.

Is any of your email through Exchange ActiveSync?

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 09:37 PM
    Maybe instead of link, backup using FireChest, just to avoid any issues that people have been experiencing restoring from Link.

And yea what was suggested above is a good option, more likely to isolate what is calling it that way.
    Also I would probably try with a freshly formatted memory card

12-17-13 04:41 AM
    I have tried many if not all these solutions and nothing works. Repeated calls to technical support seem to indicate that the problem is endemic to the software. Apparently there are now complaints also from some Z10 owners. I think BB made a mistake and either intended something silly or got it into the software by accident. Now we have to see if they will fix it. If all the Z30s have this problem they will get a lot of complaints. If they don't correct it they will soon have no individual customers. It could be due to the new orientation toward corporate customers, some of whom no doubt want this peculiar arrangement. But a device that can only encrypt and not decrypt is surely a loser outside of a few security conscious companies and agencies. Thanks for all the suggestions. If anyone has a phone with my problem and succeeds in decrypting their media card, please please let me know how!
    12-17-13 06:41 PM
    You seem to be the only person with this problem. I own a Z10 and a Z30 and the lady has a Q5 and none have forced encryption upon us.

9700 ~ 9900 ~ Z10 ~ Z30
    12-17-13 10:03 PM
    I thought I was alone and that someone could help with a fix but Rogers technical support says they are now getting complaints from Z10 owners.
    12-17-13 10:45 PM
    I thought I was alone and that someone could help with a fix but Rogers technical support says they are now getting complaints from Z10 owners.
    I've got a Z10, my mum has 2, my boyfriend has one as well.
    2 other friends of ours and 2 of my aunts have Z10's, no one has ever had this issue.
    I have a Z30, and no issues there.

I'm not saying that it's not true or that Rogers lied to you, but I wouldn't be so hasty to believe everything they have to say, they aren't exactly pro-BlackBerry at the moment. And I've noticed with carriers across the board, they will say whatever they need to shift any blame off themselves. In all fairness it could have to do with an update that Rogers pushed to devices.

A better bet might be to open a support ticket with BlackBerry and see if any other Rogers users in forum are experiencing the same, since I haven't seen this issue posted around the forums.
    Again I'm not saying that you aren't experiencing the problem or that this is not potentially an issue others are facing

12-18-13 04:50 AM
    I would like to open a support ticket with blackberry but so far haven't figured out how to do it. Is this on their support page? I'm not very good at wading through complex web pages. Maybe I missed it.
    12-18-13 10:55 AM
    I would like to open a support ticket with blackberry but so far haven't figured out how to do it. Is this on their support page? I'm not very good at wading through complex web pages. Maybe I missed it.
    I'll see if I can help find some more info for you.
    But you can also try tweet them, they seem to be quite responsive and could be quite quick

12-18-13 11:07 AM
    Just encrypt your music. You said yourself that it's not that important, so no worries if you have to reformat the SD when the problem is solved. Just sounds like you are making a big issue out of this. If it really is a deal breaker than you could try a leak or NON Rogers OS

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 11:33 AM
    Just encrypt your music. You said yourself that it's not that important, so no worries if you have to reformat the SD when the problem is solved. Just sounds like you are making a big issue out of this. If it really is a deal breaker than you could try a leak or NON Rogers OS

Posted via CB10
    I'm with Rogers on both a Z10 and a Z30. This isn't carrier-side. I think the university must have a hand in this. Either that, and I'd like not to take it there, but it's possible the OP is just full of it.

9700 ~ 9900 ~ Z10 ~ Z30
    12-18-13 02:31 PM
    You need to call Rogers and be transferred to BlackBerry support.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 03:46 PM
    I'm pretty much resigned to tossing the media cards when I wipe the device unless as someone suggests they can be saved by a reformat. I thought this was a defect that could be fixed. It does seem strange that you are forced to encrypt and there is no way to decrypt although BB advises doing so before wiping the device. I have spent a lot of time already talking to Rogers and BB support but no one can help so I think I must give up. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
    12-18-13 10:12 PM
    Umm totally gives you the option to de-crypt the phone or SD card, just turn encryption off. And yes you can always re-format the SD card on a computer.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 11:32 AM
    It gives you the option to decrypt it, but it doesn't seem to work.

For me, it just says decryption has been interrupted.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 03:23 PM
    One last note. As you can see from the previous comment I am not alone. Blackberry confirms that this is an issue, a bug, that supposedly will get fixed some day. In the meantime we have to live with it. What I do is copy everything to the phone memory so when the card is erased I won't lose it all.
    01-20-14 04:52 PM
    I have just had the latest update come through this morning 30/01/2014 on my Q10, about 2 hours ago, i am now being forced to encrypt the phone with a password, it says my administrator says i have to do this!! I am the administrator!! (personal phone)
    I dont have a media card installed, i never had a password set before the update, ever, i now cant get into the phone without putting in the password and i cant turn off the encryption or the password.
    This phone is a personal phone purchased by me with my own cash, not on any corporate network, i use Gmail and Hotmail, internet, im on the phone all the time and never set a password in the past as im always on it.
    Has anyone else just had this update come through? (if you have it pending don't update or you will be force to encrypt your phone as well as your media card.

Not sure what to do next, ( apart from continue and put in a password and keep putting in a password every time i want to use the the phone, which will get right up my nose very very quickly and is already annoying me that some one is forcing me to do something that i don't want to do.)

J.
    01-30-14 01:23 AM
    Just put a token password. Problem solved. Like 11111
    01-30-14 02:01 AM
    So glad to see I am not alone in this. Just had this issue pop up on my Z10 after doing the 10.2.1 update. Very frustrating. I have no issue with using a password but it isn't ideal when your device informs you that some administrator wants you to encrypt you device when you are your device's admin. I hope a fix for this comes out soon. Just know you aren't alone.
    01-30-14 11:00 PM
    Hey, I just replied to another thread on this (Couver 81's actually) because I had this problem as well. I found out that it was my university email account that was causing the "your IT admin requires you to encrypt" message to appear on my personal device.

After many restores, wipes, and backups I found that the message showed up right after I re-added the university email account. However, I learned that I could just simply delete the account and I am no longer being forced to encrypt my device without the option to decrypt it. Andrewf604 you said you use your university email account, so maybe that's also what's causing your issue.
    02-01-14 12:41 AM
48 12