Hello all.

My name is Dane, and I've been a part of this website for a long time.
    Can't consider myself a very big Blackberry fan, despite owning a few devices over the years.

My first smartphone was the Storm 9530, which I thought was decent at the time, but eventually the OG DROID came out and captivated me more than any other smartphone could. I have always loved Android, and still do (my recent ownership list includes: LG G2, Moto X, Note 3, Nexus 5, HTC One, Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus.......).
    I've also dabbled with the iPhone 4S when that came out, as well as the Lumina 925 which I sold a few months ago. I even owned the Z10 for a period last year, until I moved to T-Mobile and purchased the HTC One.

I'm a total tech geek... really. I have no idea how my girlfriend still loves me. lol

Being such a smartphone wh**e, I constantly go back and forth checking the different sites, keeping up-to-date on the latest goodies. Recently I've been intrigued with the Sony Xperia Z2 and the countless HTC One (2) leaks.
    But for some damn unknown reason, I have not been able to get the Z30 out of my head.
    Now I just recently got my Galaxy Note 3 (4-5 weeks), and my Nexus 5 has been sitting on my desk collecting dust since I got it.

Today I saw a seller on eBay selling the STA100-5 variant. He only had a few in stock, so I had to think quickly. I ended up selling my Nexus 5, and purchasing the Z30. I'm so excited. I've always liked BB10, but thought it was extremely under-polished a year ago with my Z10. I'm excited to put the Note 3 down for a while and experiment with what BB and the Z30 have to offer today.

If you read that all, I salute and thank you. I'll probably post some impressions here in the next couple days, in case anyone is interested in yet another Android fanboy's opinion on BB.

***Oh, and I purchased the phone at 2pm here in CA. The seller shipped the phone, and it is being delivered tomorrow morning before 10:30am....from Canada. Free shipping. That guy is a damn rock star if you're looking for a STA100-5.

*******FIRST IMPRESSIONS*******

Well, I've been using the device for about 24 hours, so these are gonna be some non-cohesive, preliminary thoughts on the phone, operating system and how those compare to Android.

I am a big time stickler for build quality... if something rattles, shakes or moves I have serious issues. I'm OCD like that. I had an iPhone 5s for about 2 days until I realized the shaking home button was driving me insane. So I'm extremely pleased to report that the Z30 is one of the best built devices I've used. Sure, it could have been made of aluminum like my old, beloved HTC One (which I consider the best phone as far as build quality). However, the combination of heft and feel create a wonderfully solid device --- nothing shakes, rattles, flexes or bends. So hardware quality gets an A+ from me, which is quite an accomplishment in my book.

As far as the device looks, I'm in love. I don't understand the negativity surrounding the aesthetics of the device around here. While the phone is somewhat thick by today's standards, the sleek, rounded corners create a svelte look that oozes class. I love the look and feel of the glass weave, and I like how the plastic/metallic chin ties in with the frame and creates a unique look from the front. So another solid A here for looks.

So moving into the operating system, I'm pleased to see tons of maturation from my z10 early last year. The OS has really grown up and become even more fluid that what I anticipated. Blackberry has impressed me. Sure, the iconography could be vastly improved... the current icons look a little dated. Menus such as the settings and the hub could also use a visual makeover, but at this point I'm honestly just nitpicking.

I'm a huge fan of the gesture based UI... it really creates a one-of-a-kind experience. The overall performance and fluidity is definitely on par with what is offered by Android, iOS, and windows phone.

It's only been 24 hours, but do I miss Android? It depends. One thing Android does better than anyone is create an open canvas for the user to set up and customize. You can root, add launchers, icon packs, etc and completely change the way the device is used. I love that about Android, and that feeling will never change. But what BlackBerry has created is the single best "closed" operating system in terms of the overall user experience. This device is just plain fun to use because of the gesture based UI. It's unlike anything currently on the market, and it is a damn shame that BlackBerry doesn't get the respect it deserves. As an Android fanboy, I sincerely hope that BlackBerry can turn things around here, and that people can consider them a viable option once again.

In order for this platform to succeed in a convoluted marketplace, it will have to polish up the UI, and find some way to attract quality developers. Snap is awesome, but not everyone is going to be able to use it, or want to use it.

This device isn't going to eliminate Android from my life... I'm a two phone kind of guy after all, but what this device has done is convince me that BB10 is the best second platform for me (I've tried having both Windows phone and iOS in conjunction with Android....they just were not for me). I'm excited to be a part of this community once again.

Oh, and DAT keyboard. Damn.
    Last edited by Jdane07; 03-13-14 at 03:36 PM.
    zclash, Graahle, R Field and 23 others like this.
    03-11-14 08:44 PM
    Report back with your thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 08:47 PM
    From what you mentioned, the seller is from Canada so it's a safe bet that the Z30 should have the OS 10.2.1 update! Please keep us posted and don't spend too much time with it otherwise you're girlfriend might get jealous!

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 likes this.
    03-11-14 08:48 PM
    Dayum, I wish I could afford that many phones...

Posted via CB10 for BlackBerry Q10
    03-11-14 08:54 PM
    I can relate. I too am a phone wh**e. Just when I got rid of my Nokia Lumia 1520 I had for a month and told myself that I will chill with my 4s. I saw the vid of bye bye blackberry by JC. Started looking into the Z30 and I want one now! LoL
    bungaboy and Jdane07 like this.
    03-11-14 08:59 PM
    Dayum, I wish I could afford that many phones...

Posted via CB10 for BlackBerry Q10
    Haha it's a stupid lifestyle, quite honestly. I'm only able to do it as I'm living with my folks while finishing up school and have a good bartending gig here in the tourist capital of California (Napa Valley).

However, the process of buying off-contract and reselling for near full retail is rather simple, and is what truly allows me to switch it up so often. I'll be slowing down here soon though, gotta build the savings up while I can.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    emkay47 likes this.
    03-11-14 08:59 PM
    I can relate. I too am a phone wh**e. Just when I got rid of my Nokia Lumia 1520 I had for a month and told myself that I will chill with my 4s. I saw the vid of bye bye blackberry by JC. Started looking into the Z30 and I want one now! LoL
    That video led me to searching on eBay for deals. Haha good stuff.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-11-14 09:00 PM
    enjoy the Z30, it's a wonderful device.... until you move onto the next device
    andy957 likes this.
    03-11-14 09:02 PM
    LoL! I can relate.

I'm a total phone wh**e as well and have had pretty much every high end phone out there (still have a GN3, Iphone 5s, 4s, GS3, and my Q10).

Once I get the impulse, I have to have it lol!

Right now I'm loving the Q10 but am really intrigued by the Z10, Z30, and eventually Q20. I would like to get my hands on one of these soon.

Sent from my BlackBeezy Q10
    03-11-14 09:11 PM
    Boy!! I thought I was impulsive but you really put me to shame. Hope you enjoy the Z30.
    A little impulsive and a little reckless but who am i to talk, I am the same way. You won't regret your latest purchase.
    Must be a guy's thing to have these kind of impulses like how women have periods? ;p

Posted via CB10
    nick13b, PALeafs67 and imandroid like this.
    03-11-14 09:15 PM
    Must be a guy's thing to have these kind of impulses like how women have periods? ;p

Posted via CB10
    Dude. Wow.
    Skatophilia likes this.
    03-11-14 09:18 PM
    Great Dane! Sorry couldn't resist

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    Jdane07 and BerryRipe like this.
    03-11-14 09:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Dude. Nice.

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    03-12-14 01:48 AM
    Uhn. Hey, there are some female gadget geeks as well.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-12-14 02:24 AM
    I can also totally relate to being a phone wh***. I want to go the Porsche design store here but am afraid to go because I know what will happen (I WILL walk out with a P9982 if I dare go there) If it wasn't for the fact that the specs are like a Z10 I would grab it in a heartbeat. LOL
    03-12-14 02:41 AM
    Hey, OP, you are not alone. ahahahha. I too love all these hi tech gadgets and am somewhat impulsive. Right now I have about 14 phones-some android and some blackberries. I just keep coming back to the Blackerry phones and waste my monies on the android phones and continue to do so. lol. When I am playing with my phones (installing newer OS or roms(in android)) I am totally zoned out and my girlfriend can't understand my extreme passion for hi tech stuff. hahahaha. Next on my list is the Z30 then the Q20 and probably more after that. By the way, I don't have the heart to sell my unused phones-I just keep them around as "reference" points and backups. lol
    03-12-14 03:28 AM
    It's a double double for them whereas we get a regular impulse

Uhn. Hey, there are some female gadget geeks as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 05:10 AM
    I'm always interested to hear Android lovers hopefully unbiased opinion on BB10.

Only because I've been itching to switch to Android device "just to try it out" and possibly "see what I am missing", but with BB 10.2.1 and android app support, BB is making it really difficult for me to leave.

I really don't want to own and carry 2 devices. My Z30 is just so damn hard to give up right now.
    03-12-14 08:37 AM
    Just make sure you load up the latest 10.2.1 OS. Legrand has the autoloaders posted on here. Do it before you load anything on the device as it will wipe everything.

Have fun. You will love it. Oh and sideload the Amazon App Store so you can easily install Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-12-14 08:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not to mention shoes and clothes LoL

My amazing BB Z10 - OS 2141 also on my Z30 and now Q5 backed up with my 32g PlayBook in the wings
    03-12-14 11:28 AM
    For the next person in the USA that's buying a BB10 device from a Canadian source, ask them to include a Canadian MicroSim. Most sellers will have one laying around that they aren't using and will gladly include it. By doing so, you'll always have access to any updates that are released (but withheld by USA carriers). No more being screwed over by TMobile, Sprint or ATT. For Verizon users, your only hope is Sachesi though.
    03-12-14 12:37 PM
    Love threads like this. Good for you for being open-minded about all of the available options for smartphones.

I'm using a Z30 after toying with a few Androids and iPhones. I was sold on the Z10 at launch, but looking back now, BB10 was so underdeveloped at that point.

Where we are now with it, I'm confident you will love the Z30 and BB10. Just be patient, as there is a minor learning curve and a bit of techy tinkering to do.

Hope you enjoy it!
    tsi200 and bungaboy like this.
    03-12-14 12:49 PM
    I hear you I have had Every 4gLTE Phone Verizon Has to offer I think I have set a record 135 New Activations in 3 years. Just this last month so far I have had a 4s,5s,5c,Note3, Maxx and an Ultra.... All different Phones anyway I just Ordered the Z30 From Amazon for 49.99... 2 day ship. I am going to give Blackberry another try. I had T-mobile for23 years started when they where Voicestream in 88 switched to BigRed a few years ago. I had several Blackberrys with T-Mobile and always liked the ease of use. Anyway I will post my review here in a few days.
    03-12-14 01:30 PM
62 123