They burn!!!

I'm a BlackBerry addict, but when using the BlackBerry Z30 I get eye strain. I never had it with the BlackBerry Q10 or even the Nokia Lumia 925. I don't know if it's the super amoled screen vs lcd, the size or just the background color. It's almost a deal breaker. Is there any tips being offered or is the BlackBerry Q10 a better choice? I like the BlackBerry Z30 but it's a pretty big issue if it makes the phone unusable for me

Posted via CB10
    turcberry likes this.
    07-08-14 02:33 AM
    You know the Q10 and Z30 both use amoled...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-08-14 02:36 AM
    So have you tried to adjust the screen settings? Brightness? Not sure i understand the issue. The screen on the Z30 is very similar to the Q10, just one is square and the other rectangle. They both have super amoled screens.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 02:37 AM
    Shut off your phone and go to sleep. Tomorrow is another day!

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    07-08-14 02:37 AM
    Try blinking more? :s
    07-08-14 02:46 AM
    No problems here

Maybe you need glasses

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes and agarwal.apar like this.
    07-08-14 02:58 AM
    So have you tried to adjust the screen settings? Brightness? Not sure i understand the issue. The screen on the Z30 is very similar to the Q10, just one is square and the other rectangle. They both have super amoled screens.

Posted via CB10
    I get that they're both very similar screens, but at the same time they do have different resolution, size, and even the PPI thing. The problem may have existed with the BlackBerry Q10 but since it was a tinier phone it may have been ignored altogether.

I love the phone, but maybe it's phone size. Would increasing the brightness help the phone and how would brightness affect battery life (it being the number 1 battery drain), increasing font hasn't helped me, and I've noticed that a lot of white themes seem to help more.
    07-08-14 03:01 AM
    Dark theme vs. light theme? I don't have the z30, but by don't think it is possible to change the background colour.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 03:02 AM
    Font size?
    07-08-14 03:49 AM
    I get that they're both very similar screens, but at the same time they do have different resolution, size, and even the PPI thing. The problem may have existed with the BlackBerry Q10 but since it was a tinier phone it may have been ignored altogether.

I love the phone, but maybe it's phone size. Would increasing the brightness help the phone and how would brightness affect battery life (it being the number 1 battery drain), increasing font hasn't helped me, and I've noticed that a lot of white themes seem to help more.
    What's is it that bothers you about the screen? I did noticed a difference between the z10 and z30 as the z10 seemed somewhat more defined (due to higher ppi density).
    Other than that on brightness it's the exact same thing. You say you never noticed it on a q10, it will then make sense as the letters on it seem larger due to its resolution scaling and smaller on the z30.
    Higher resolution = smaller letters.
    Do you by any chance suffer of tired vision or have a hard time with desktop/laptops higher definitions?
    I mention this because many enterprise clients when moving to an upgraded computer/tablet or mobile device often complain the letters are too small, this is usually due to higher screen resolution on their upgraded devices.
    Don't worry you will get used to it in no time, you can also adjust the size of your font on your z30 options. If not then make sure you contact your optometrist he/she may be able to help. Good luck and enjoy your new device.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    07-08-14 04:08 AM
    How far from your face do you hold your phone? Do you have a visual impairment / eye wear? Here are a few suggestions.

It could be that you are too close and crossing your eyes. I have my brightness at minimum, white balance warm and hold my phone about a foot away.

Avoid using your phone in the dark. Hold it up at eye level to keep your posture upright. Take a break and look away from the screen every few minutes (you might be enjoying your Z30 too much ;P ). Don't squint. Get an eye exam.

Even though you used other phones, the Z30 might be grabbing your focus for longer periods than you think. I used Windows Phone 8 and hated how often the screen goes blank when switching apps. This could be giving your eyes a short break. On the Q10, looking at the keyboard could be doing the same.
    07-08-14 04:50 AM
    For me it was the low PPI. I just couldn't look at the screen for too long without my eyes bothering me. Eventually I sold it. I understand your feelings.

Sent from the Pad using Tapatalk.
    07-08-14 06:41 AM
    Try blinking more? :s
    I love when this site is playful and funny...LMAO
    07-08-14 08:08 AM
    They burn!!!

I'm a BlackBerry addict, but when using the BlackBerry Z30 I get eye strain. I never had it with the BlackBerry Q10 or even the Nokia Lumia 925. I don't know if it's the super amoled screen vs lcd, the size or just the background color. It's almost a deal breaker. Is there any tips being offered or is the BlackBerry Q10 a better choice? I like the BlackBerry Z30 but it's a pretty big issue if it makes the phone unusable for me

Posted via CB10
    My problem with the Z30 is at the end of the day I look at how much battery is left and I cannot believe my eyes
    07-08-14 08:34 AM
    You know the Q10 and Z30 both use amoled...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    So does the Lumia 925
    07-08-14 08:45 AM

I don't think the phone is the problem? Might be your eyes.
    07-08-14 09:36 AM
    No she has a point. Compared to my z10, the z30 seems to bring of eye fatigue sooner

I just tried the trick of lowering brightness to the least and changing the white balance to the warmest and it helped!

Yes it's a BlackBerry. If you have something bad to say... speak to Easton!
    itsachickthing likes this.
    07-08-14 10:28 AM
    Maybe everyone should stop looking at their phones so much and enjoy the world,.go outside and see life ect. Then your eyes won't hurt.

Posted via CB10
    Nayalm, mk2234, lift and 2 others like this.
    07-08-14 10:30 AM
    For me it was the low PPI. I just couldn't look at the screen for too long without my eyes bothering me. Eventually I sold it. I understand your feelings.

Sent from the Pad using Tapatalk.
    The only time I notice is when text is so small that it would be straining to try and read it. In normal use, 295 PPI is smooth all around.

LCD TVs and monitors are nowhere near such high pixel densities but people "tolerate" them.

I suppose this is the classic case of "never go back" once you've tried 320+ PPI. I'm content with my Z30's display. I hope I don't get to hate it after trying the Z10 or other higher PPI device.
    07-08-14 10:35 AM
    Maybe everyone should stop looking at their phones so much and enjoy the world,.go outside and see life ect. Then your eyes won't hurt.

Posted via CB10
    LOL! I work indoors and it's boring sometimes. =\

Sent from Blue 32 using Tapatalk Pro.
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    07-08-14 10:53 AM
    The only time I notice is when text is so small that it would be straining to try and read it. In normal use, 295 PPI is smooth all around.

LCD TVs and monitors are nowhere near such high pixel densities but people "tolerate" them.

I suppose this is the classic case of "never go back" once you've tried 320+ PPI. I'm content with my Z30's display. I hope I don't get to hate it after trying the Z10 or other higher PPI device.
    I think if it hadn't been for me loving my Z10, iPhone 5c, and Note 3, I'd have been okay. Though low PPI wasn't 100% the clincher. The phone was just a bit too heavy for the size. I really hope they'll release a Z50...

Sent from Blue 32 using Tapatalk Pro.
    1magine likes this.
    07-08-14 10:55 AM
    Is this with still or moving imagery?

I notice some of this, sometimes, when I'm tired, while scrolling a page -- especially if the scrolling is not smooth, for one reason or other (...such as android wrapper overhead, but I get it quite a bit in core BB10 interfaces, too).

OLED screens have very distinct switching, which, whilst highly desireable, can exacerbate a problem with discrete steps of motion at low framerates:

If your eye is trying to follow a line of text on a scrolling page, the eye will move ahead at the estimated constant speed that the text appears to move, but when the line is in actuality staying in one place for a relatively long duration and then in an instant jumping a tiny bit up the screen, over and over again, you will detect a discrepancy, that will come across as motion blur, and/or judder, and cause eye fatigue.

If you experience less of this with an LCD screen, that is because those have a bit of image retention - a pixel can only switch from one colour to another so fast, which used to be a big problem in early LCD displays, where you could see ghost image trails left behind moving things. It is better today, but still present, and in this case the temporal softening/blurring can be perceived to have a slight beneficial side effect, introducing a bit of what we might rather incorrectly call "motion blur".

The real solution (which is technical - not much the user can do about it, alas), is to make sure things move consistently and at a high frame rate.

(EDIT: ...but what one can do as a user, as a stop-gap "solution", at times when this particular problem occurs, is to "simply" avoid tracking moving imagery: e.g; Don't read whilst slowly crawling the text up. Instead put a page's worth up and read it through, held statically in place, scroll it up a hefty bit, rince, repeat... :7)
    07-08-14 11:06 AM
    Maybe OP need to sleep more. First post shows 2:33AM.
    Anyway there are many thing that can be done to adjust display for a more comfortable experience.
    07-08-14 11:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    You realize of course, the site is called Crackberry? Not sure anyone here is looking for an intervention or a detox. Also, one more thing, I have my Z30 with me everywhere. I used it on the 4th to take pictures and videos of family and friends. To play music while sitting outside on my deck. To help a friend who was lost, navigate to my home, to locate a cool burger recipe, to quickly shop Amazon for music and a new apron, to call my youngest who had walked to the lake to watch fireworks, to BBM my wife while she was out shopping, and of course to receive and respond to dozens of e-mails. Our devices are incredibly useful tools, and if used that way are not disruptive to our lives but enhance them. If you ignore company to bury your head in Angry Birds, then surely you need to give your usage a rest, but I'm not sure that's the OP's issue, or for that matter most other folks I know.
    07-08-14 11:08 AM
    You realize of course, the site is called Crackberry? Not sure anyone here is looking for an intervention or a detox. Also, one more thing, I have my Z30 with me everywhere. I used it on the 4th to take pictures and videos of family and friends. To play music while sitting outside on my deck. To help a friend who was lost, navigate to my home, to locate a cool burger recipe, to quickly shop Amazon for music and a new apron, to call my youngest who had walked to the lake to watch fireworks, to BBM my wife while she was out shopping, and of course to receive and respond to dozens of e-mails. Our devices are incredibly useful tools, and if used that way are not disruptive to our lives but enhance them. If you ignore company to bury your head in Angry Birds, then surely you need to give your usage a rest, but I'm not sure that's the OP's issue, or for that matter most other folks I know.
    I'm pretty sure I use my Z30 more than you,its pretty much attached to my hand.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 11:11 AM
89 123 ...