Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Hi,

I lost my Z30. Without going into details, it was in a situation where it could have easily been returned to me at Lost & Found but never showed up.

I waited 4 days to show up at lost and found and then went to protect.blackberry.com and locked device, wiped device etc but it was not reachable and says it would perform these actions as soon as connects to wireless\celluar network.

I had personal files, most of it configured to be on the micro SD card.

If this SD card were removed, can it be read? I am hoping BlackBerry with its reputation of being most secure phone in world means the SD card has some encryption...

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
    03-20-15 08:40 AM
    Did you have the device password protected? If so you are totally fine.
    03-20-15 08:45 AM
    The SD card is not encrypted by default. So it will only be encrypted if you actually enabled encryption.

If you didn't, then yes, anyone can take out the SD card and access it using any other device.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 08:48 AM
    Do/did you have Blackberry Protect enabled? Just log into BB Protect and you can try to locate your device, or just issue a wipe command and the device will wipe itself. The SD card, not sure if that get wiped also, but I think not..
    03-20-15 08:59 AM
    Do/did you have Blackberry Protect enabled? Just log into BB Protect and you can try to locate your device, or just issue a wipe command and the device will wipe itself. The SD card, not sure if that get wiped also, but I think not..
    Lol

To recap, if your SD was is encrypted, anyone can read it. If you don't have a device password, anyone can access the phone and also disable encryption on the SD if you had it enabled.

A huge mistake was believing someone would give it back.
    03-20-15 09:14 AM
    Do as Carl said and you will be able to locate your phone. Sign in with your BlackBerry ID on BlackBerry Protect on any computer or phone and choose locate device. You can either wipe it or lock it at this point also. Keep us posted

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 09:56 AM
    To be clear. If the SD card is not encrypted, it can be read by anyone. If it is encrypted, you can only read it or decrypt it in the same phone. That's why one has to decrypt cards before doing a wipe. ... Even the same phone can't decrypt the SD card if the phone is wiped.

If the phone is password protected it is harder to get into.

If the phone is encrypted, it is pretty safe.

The best security hardware in the world is no use if you don't activate the various Mesures.

Best to login to BlackBerry Protect and wipe the phone. Keep trying, the person who "found" your phone may charge it up and turn it on.

Your SD card is in the wild if it's not encrypted.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    Last edited by Chris Chin; 03-20-15 at 12:28 PM.
    03-20-15 11:33 AM
    Hopefully, this situation will work out.

But I do password protect the phone but I do not encrypt my sdcard. Remember that if the device fails the sd card's encryption is tied to that EXACT phone and the system. So data on the card can be lost if the phone dies without your having a backup. Also, if you Security Wipe the phone, the encryption key is wiped and the card would NOT be accessible (unless decrypted in advance).

I try not to keep any very personal data on my card but keep that in Internal Memory where it is protected by the phone's password.

Everyone has their own system
    baarn likes this.
    03-20-15 12:58 PM
    Hopefully, this situation will work out.

But I do password protect the phone but I do not encrypt my sdcard. Remember that if the device fails the sd card's encryption is tied to that EXACT phone and the system. So data on the card can be lost if the phone dies without your having a backup. Also, if you Security Wipe the phone, the encryption key is wiped and the card would NOT be accessible (unless decrypted in advance).

I try not to keep any very personal data on my card but keep that in Internal Memory where it is protected by the phone's password.

Everyone has their own system
    how does encryption play with reading files off the computer from the phone?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 01:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, I'm not an sd-card encryption person at all. I have just read threads where the phone died and was replaced and the encrypted card could not be readin a new phone (tied to the physical phone). And also stories where folks wiped or used an Autoloaders and forgot to decrypt in advance and lost access to the card's contents. And restoring data/settings did not fix that issue. Card data is gone.

I THINK that if connected via wifi sharing or usb, with the encrypted card in the phone, you can access files and backup or copy stuff. BUT someone else will have to verify that.
    03-20-15 01:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    you are basically screwed. Remember if you could pop the SD card that was encrypted on the phone in a PC and read it then its totally pointless to encrypt it to begin with.

I would never encrypt a SD especially if what was on it was of huge importance. If something happens to the phone (SD card slot messes up, you have to wipe the device, water damage etc) then the SD card is pretty much junk as you will never be able to pair it back to the phone.
    03-20-15 01:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think you can actually still access files in the SD card via the two network folders that show when you plug in your phone to the computer's usb (the device decrypts and serves up the files for you to access them). So, in theory you can back up the contents manually (copy/pasting, or using something like synctoy).

You just have to make sure you do it regularly.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and OneofLittleHarmony like this.
    03-20-15 05:47 PM
    I would rather lose my own data from a failed SD card than expose my data if my phone is lost. Encrypt your blackberry device and SD card. Password protect your phone.

Posted via CB10
    Chris Chin likes this.
    03-20-15 05:52 PM