Ecosystem and specs are not the deciding factor. It's the personal choice of the consumer looking for a phone. That could be anyone from age 15 to 70.

Not everyone cares or even knows about ecosystems (for phones) or the specs. They just want it to work when it's needed.

I think some people in this thread are mistaking me for only speaking of the specs. It's the OS as well. The ecosystem. The specs are just the butter, and these specs show that BB is continuing to just be "also ran" in that regard while offering arguably the 4th best ecosystem in the smart phone market behind even Windows Phone.
    08-08-13 01:05 AM
    It's unbelievable that people still keep bringing up this non-sequitur in every Z30 topic... just *WHAT* way do you think Apple or its iPhone is relevant to BB or its upcoming new phone, seriously?
    The relevance is that specs are not the end all and be all. Yes there is a degree of "it's Apple we'll buy anything they put out" BUT it also shows that you can have a great, successful phone WITHOUT having the greatest specs! That's all I'm saying.
    08-08-13 01:08 AM
    the G2 has already flopped. Early reviews say the software and GUI design are horrible. If BB wants to lead the pack they need to act more like Apple and just recently Motorola with the Moto X. Forget the specs and focus on the experience.
    I would agree with you, but I can't. On android you're not limited to a certain UI, so if someone doesn't like the UI they can just have it running stock Android and with those specs I'm sure they wouldn't be regretting their purchase.
    08-08-13 01:09 AM
    I would agree with you, but I can't. On android you're not limited to a certain UI, so if someone doesn't like the UI they can just have it running stock Android and with those specs I'm sure they wouldn't be regretting their purchase.
    You're not limited to the UI if you root your phone. Not everyone is prepared to do that. Most users wouldn't go there if you paid them; they find the prospect--and what they perceive as risk to the device--as too intimidating. I'd call it a more drastic step than sideloading apps on BB10, and I don't expect most users to even do THAT.

TBH, I'm not crazy about the "specs don't matter" argument because it comes across as so much sour grapes, but there are a couple of things worth pointing out here:

1) The SG4 is arguably the best-spec'd phone out there right now, and we started seeing discounts on it almost immediately. It is selling well below Samsung's projections.

2) If specs WERE the most important thing to consumers, LG would be trouncing even Samsung. The Optimus series has consistently been among the best when it comes to specs for the past couple of years. The trouble is, LG has had a reputation for so-so hardware design and clumsy UIs and ultimately that seems to have held them back.

I agree that specs are a fairly big consideration to many users. They're at least somewhat important to me, for sure, but I'm more concerned about overall usability. If the UI is smooth, if the phone is reliable, if the navigation is simple and intuitive, I might be prepared to compromise on specs, because the usability is ultimately going to dictate my experience with the device more than the actual hardware.
    Unbiased Tech and Houshinto like this.
    08-08-13 01:29 AM
    You're not limited to the UI if you root your phone. Not everyone is prepared to do that. Most users wouldn't go there if you paid them; they find the prospect--and what they perceive as risk to the device--as too intimidating. I'd call it a more drastic step than sideloading apps on BB10, and I don't expect most users to even do THAT.

TBH, I'm not crazy about the "specs don't matter" argument because it comes across as so much sour grapes, but there are a couple of things worth pointing out here:

1) The SG4 is arguably the best-spec'd phone out there right now, and we started seeing discounts on it almost immediately. It is selling well below Samsung's projections.

2) If specs WERE the most important thing to consumers, LG would be trouncing even Samsung. The Optimus series has consistently been among the best when it comes to specs for the past couple of years. The trouble is, LG has had a reputation for so-so hardware design and clumsy UIs and ultimately that seems to have held them back.

I agree that specs are a fairly big consideration to many users. They're at least somewhat important to me, for sure, but I'm more concerned about overall usability. If the UI is smooth, if the phone is reliable, if the navigation is simple and intuitive, I might be prepared to compromise on specs, because the usability is ultimately going to dictate my experience with the device more than the actual hardware.
    Yea but think of the people that would be buying that phone. It would be tech geeks who need to have the latest and greatest in specs and they will do it. Also most consumers don't care about the version of android or whatever skin it has, they just want it to work well and have a ton of apps.

I largely agree with you though, but I think LG is over their reputation because I think I remember them selling 10-20 million in the Optimus Series.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 01:43 AM

Oh and the GS4 is still selling very well, just not as much as the S3, but I think they still sold like 20 million S4s in 3 months which is very good.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 01:45 AM
    You do realize iPhone also are never super spec'd out either!
    No, they aren't fully specced, but as everyones argument that BB10 doesn't need full specs because the OS is built for the device, this surely applies to iOS too. cant have that argument both ways, however the ecosystem on apple devices is far greater. case in point, 6 months past Z10 launch, where is the BB docking station we heard about? when I say ecosystem its far more than apps.
    iTunes vouchers, plentiful accessories, lots of apps (doesn't matter if you use 1 or a hundred, it IS a factor for end users) and lots of 3rd party accessories like music stations etc all count. heck theres even that new chevy with some iOS In car features, but where is BB10 in car?

the G2 has already flopped. Early reviews say the software and GUI design are horrible. If BB wants to lead the pack they need to act more like Apple and just recently Motorola with the Moto X. Forget the specs and focus on the experience.
    wait a minute, we decry websites for making reviews on Z and Q devices before they've had chance to use them fully, yet we back those same sites when the situation is the same but for a competitor? again, the argument goes both ways for sure, so to say the G2 has flopped is being a tad silly.

As for the Moto X, thats not even on the same level as the Z30, most sites I read said device wise even though the CPU/GPU/extra 2 core thing was cool, the main selling point over any other device would be the customisation available for the actual device. please see my reply to PK in regards to ecosystem. either way, the Moto X has the specs in the X8 processor to provide that delineated experience, the Z30 it seems doesn't.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-08-13 02:16 AM
    The Z30/A10 better be like $100 cheaper than this on contract.
    precisely.

BB can release mid-range hardware if they want, but if they expect it to SELL it had better arrive with a mid-range pricetag too.
    08-08-13 03:36 AM
    That website is such a joke though. All they do is kiss BlackBerry's rear and post hyperbole nonsense. They don't even try to hide their bias towards BlackBerry and will happily post incorrect information just to get BlackBerry's fanboys to share it. Which you just did. Haha so I guess it is working out for them.

But yeah, no keep dreaming the phone has 2GB of ram.
    - Is it me or you did not get the point of my post?? let me school you a bit. After I posted the link (showing that speculations can go on and on) I said 'How about this for once stop speculating on rumor's ... reserve your judgement when the phone releases' - this sentense means - To stop believing everything out there and wait (patience) till the device is officially launched!!

Understood fanboy?? Read properly next time
    08-08-13 04:25 AM
    All still running android that is slow

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 04:29 AM
    looks like a samsung... wish they'd be more creative with designs
    All phones, be it whether Samsung, LG, etc. are all similar cause they're Korean companies (except HTC and Huawei who're Taiwan and Mainland Chinese companies).
    08-08-13 05:00 AM
    Oh and the GS4 is still selling very well, just not as much as the S3, but I think they still sold like 20 million S4s in 3 months which is very good.

Posted via CB10
    S3 sales 50m end of March 2013. S4 20m first two months. Safe to say S4 will outsell S3 by March next year
    08-08-13 05:44 AM
    LG products are just average. Nothing exciting about the G2.
    08-08-13 07:16 AM
    So just because you think they are the market leader, they are welcome to put out crap on a stick? That's how mediocrity becomes the norm.

Posted via CB10
    That's what blackberry did.

Posted via CB10
    gatorboi352 likes this.
    08-08-13 07:41 AM
    This is the first thread where I haven't seen Blackberry diehard defend them........
    Perception is everthing to the masses. Maybe folks here can keep saying "doesn't need to spec'd out cause the OS is optimum", but to the general consumer.....they get that right.

2013 is basically done....but yet they come out with a phone with sub par specs, awesome Blackberry?
    gatorboi352 likes this.
    08-08-13 07:49 AM
    iPhone is the market leader. They can put out sh!t on a stick with that App Store.
    They (Apple) is not the market leader actually.
    They ship just under half the amount of phones as Samsung does per quarter.
    They do have a higher margin per phone than Samsung but not enough to counter Samsung phones selling at more than twice the rate.
    08-08-13 08:12 AM
    iPhone is the market leader. They can put out sh!t on a stick with that App Store.
    In LA maybe, not in Europe.
    08-08-13 08:15 AM
    I believe BB bashing is now a sport! I hope it doesn't make the next Olympics.

In the face of it all...

...Go BB!
    08-08-13 08:15 AM
    I can not believe that you said that!

Yes we all know that the iPhone does not have the best spec. But I really taught that you understood that the iPhone doesn't have to, they arguable have the best ecosystem out there and provide a very simple and easy to use device.

BlackBerry does not have the following, the reputation, the apps, or the content that Apple has. So BlackBerry CAN NOT play the same game that Apple does.

I don't believe that they can compete in a spec war with the likes of Samsung (R&D, Buying Power, Builds many of their own components) either, but until they have a much more robust ecosystem, and/or something that REALLY sets at BlackBerry apart. They do have to compete in some way...
    08-08-13 08:27 AM
    A finger print scanner for unlocking ones phone is a game changer in my opinion. VERY kewl bit of tech. Something BB should and truly MUST do as well. For the phone that supposedly has the best security, that is a no brainer.

For me, I simply do not see (although it seems to be getting better), the massive marketing campaign I would have expected from BB since january. Just not there.

as for iPhone, samsung? they just dont do it for me...never did.
    Absolutely Love my Q10 and not at all "embarrassed" about it. Are there some apps missing that I would like to see on it? you bet, but not enough of an issue for day to day use. Not when I have a battery that can go 2-3 days without charging.

stk
    08-08-13 09:16 AM
    A finger print scanner for unlocking ones phone is a game changer in my opinion. VERY kewl bit of tech. Something BB should and truly MUST do as well. For the phone that supposedly has the best security, that is a no brainer.

For me, I simply do not see (although it seems to be getting better), the massive marketing campaign I would have expected from BB since january. Just not there.

as for iPhone, samsung? they just dont do it for me...never did.
    Absolutely Love my Q10 and not at all "embarrassed" about it. Are there some apps missing that I would like to see on it? you bet, but not enough of an issue for day to day use. Not when I have a battery that can go 2-3 days without charging.

stk
    HP had a fingerprint scanner in its Laptop 5 years ago and it was terrible. Lenovo then followed with face recognition in its Ideapad laptop and that sucked even more. Dirty fingers, don't know who you are is what Siri would say
    08-08-13 10:24 AM
    Agreed!! But probably too late, Z30 in production, they won't scrap it now

Posted from my amazing Z10
    They dont need to scrap the phones. I LOVE my Z10, build, OS, everything... but they need to keep going at a much faster rate with updates and new quality apps. like i said, the specs dont matter as much as they used to... as long as people can do everything they want to do waiting 0.3 seconds or 0.5 is not that big a difference, and with BBs keyboards a lot of time is SAVED so that is a plus
    08-08-13 10:52 AM
    Android phones are selling not because of exaggerated
    specs. It's because Android os is cheap. Android OEMS get their licences gratis. To differentiate from each other they wage a spec war. HTC is tanking despite their One flagship. LG is hardly a high end manufacturer, so we'll see how well their effort sells in a market inhabited by a Kronos (Samsung). Going forward the mobile market is an os shoot out not a spec war.
    Don't buy the marketing of the OEMS camera quality is all down to software interpolation not megapixels. As for screen resolution even with 6/4 vision you won't differentiate a screen resolution above 300 dpi so what is the point of 1080p resolution on a 5 inch screen?
    Exactly. And the audio playback. They don't give the hardware for the audio but as much as I love 24 bit/192kHz playback, you won't notice a difference between it and 14 bit with any phone speakers and only with headphones or IEMs that cost more than the phone, which most consumers don't own nor will purchase. Bad 24 bit/192kHz is worse than good 14bit so I hope the chip is good.
    08-08-13 11:29 AM
    lets be very clear, to most the visual change from Z10 to Z30 is a bigger screen and an extra row of icons. never seen a phone company do that before lol.

I honestly believe the biggest danger to BlackBerry is themselves. as many have said they simply have taken their foot off the gas with advertising so no matter what they make they will still have that perception issue
    08-08-13 11:56 AM
    Really? Still comparing BBRY to Apple?

Apple don't even need to try to sell tens of millions of phones, BBRY can't even sell a tenth of what Apple sold with all the ideas they have.

As a number 3 or even 4 in this market, you can't sit back and relax like the number 1.
    08-08-13 11:56 AM
151 ... 34567