I'll give it to apple. They make it look like the new device is the problem when it is in fact the apple product that is flawed. Disgusting tactics and I am happy to have left them.

Posted via my Z30
    anon(5061193) and .pinkberry like this.
    02-19-14 11:43 PM
    I message turns into its own data msg reception. Turn off data on your iPhone and it should go away I guess
    02-20-14 01:16 AM
    I had to switch back to iPhone for this reason and carrying two phones bc of it! Not anymore!

Posted via Amazing Z30
    In my work, I just can't be without texting even for one day.. and I swapped back also.. then last night.. swapped back again!!!! HUGE thanks to all who answered and I am happy to see that other people had that problem and now have the fix....
    02-20-14 06:50 AM
    It took my wife's phone weeks even though I did everything correctly to receive texts from iPhone. Personally I think someone should launch a class action law suit against apple for holding numbers hostage. It is an old problem and they k of it but choose to make it difficult.

I have even heard people getting brand new phones, never had an I product but the new number they are assigned by their carrier used to be an Iphone number and they can't even receive texts.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 07:58 AM
    If there is money to be made I am sure that someone would launch a suit against apple. However I think they are just doing the bare minimum to prevent an class suit against them.

However I am sure that it's possible for apple to fix the issue. They can make iMessages bounce back if they aren't delivered after a certain period of time thus advising the sender and giving him the option to send by SMS

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 08:44 PM
    wow ppl still text?
    02-20-14 09:04 PM
    I am trying... It is my family that I am concerned with.. They are actually mad that I switched... and then with the texting problem they are already saying "I told you so"....
    They told you what? That Apple engages in shady business practices and manipulative marketing to keep people paying too much for feeble products?
    BCITMike likes this.
    02-20-14 09:36 PM
    They told you what? That Apple engages in shady business practices and manipulative marketing to keep people paying too much for feeble products?
    Agreed. That can also apply to all big corporations. In order to feed the beast, what you pointed out needs to be done.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 10:02 PM
    Funny thing is that I was reading about this issue in Apple forums and they all blame Android (when someone switched to Android) for the issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 11:06 PM
    Funny thing is that I was reading about this issue in Apple forums and they all blame Android (when someone switched to Android) for the issue.

Posted via CB10
    Lol. I have seen some of that in the iMore forums, but most of the educated users over there understand that it's an iMessage issue. There isn't even an argument for it being anyone else's fault. Those that think otherwise just have to be ignored. I use and like to use my iPhone for some things but this issue ticks me off really bad. It's a pain to deal with.

Sent using Tapatalk
    02-21-14 06:39 AM
    It took my wife's phone weeks even though I did everything correctly to receive texts from iPhone. Personally I think someone should launch a class action law suit against apple for holding numbers hostage. It is an old problem and they k of it but choose to make it difficult.

I have even heard people getting brand new phones, never had an I product but the new number they are assigned by their carrier used to be an Iphone number and they can't even receive texts.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, unfortunately while technically you CAN sue for anything, no one would take the case because their are "no real damages" to recover". Unless you could prove Apple's intent and then show that you were monetarily damaged their really is no case.

The solution would be simple. When you get your new phone, instructions should be included and it should be made known to the consumer. Should be part of the device swith process at the store or activation over the phone.

I'm not an iPhone fan by any stretch, but I think it's a technical feature they built in for the purpose of iPhones recognizing iPhones without forward thinking about when people switch devices. Definitely short sighted on their part.

It should be like when you port a phone from one carrier to another. If you have free Verizon to Verizon and a friend switches to Sprint, Verizon and your phone know it's not still calling a Verizon phone.

There was an additional mix up as well. Before iOS7 there was a setting that the default setting was "Send as SMS when iMessage Unavailable" so when an iPhone sent to any phone if iMessage didn't go through, would go through to any phone as SMS whether prior iPhone or not. With iOS7, that feature there but disabled, so people don't know to enable it on their end.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 on VZW from Philly
    02-21-14 07:11 AM
    Eventually they will have to fix it. If they neglect it, it can be viewed as monopolistic behavior since it advantages them.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 04:17 PM
    I remember other people having similar issues. I believe the had to have Apple disassociate their phone number from I message. I'm sure someone else can give you a more detailed reply.
    This is correct, their servers keep your number and send it to Imessage as opposed to text.

Hate solves nothing, Respect gains everything!
    02-21-14 04:38 PM
    Eventually they will have to fix it. If they neglect it, it can be viewed as monopolistic behavior since it advantages them.

Posted via CB10
    I mentioned that to Apple and they said it should be common practice to diassociate your number when switching platforms and thus it is not their responsibility to "fix anything" since there is a simple method for the consumer to switch. Said it's the consumer's responsibility.

It's a total BS answer IMO, but legally they may be right?

02-21-14 05:00 PM
    Yeah, but nothing... both numbers work. I used 1800 my iPhone, and only needed my mobile phone number for them to dissociate it with Imessage.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 06:30 PM
    Before switching to any phone from iPhone Go to settings scroll to iMessage and turn off the imessage setting. After its turned off you will be fine with the new device.
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    02-21-14 07:16 PM
    It's called marketing strategy

Z30 STA100-2
    02-21-14 07:47 PM
    I mentioned that to Apple and they said it should be common practice to diassociate your number when switching platforms and thus it is not their responsibility to "fix anything" since there is a simple method for the consumer to switch. Said it's the consumer's responsibility.

It's a total BS answer IMO, but legally they may be right?

Not exactly right. Tobacco companies had used that argument for a long time... Consumers can just quit. But they made it difficult for consumers to quit. Same with iMessage.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Gatmyer likes this.
    02-21-14 07:53 PM
    Not exactly right. Tobacco companies had used that argument for a long time... Consumers can just quit. But they made it difficult for consumers to quit. Same with iMessage.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    I guess their point is that it is very simple to either turn off iMessage before switching, call 1800MYAPPLE, or go to the website. Thus it is very easy to switch.

The problem is nobody knows they have to do these things until they switch and realize the issue is occurring.

I'm certainly not agreeing with Apple. I'm just saying the method is easy if you know it's required. I simply think when you switch the carrier should explain that as most people don't know about it.

So you could argue Apple should release the number when you switch, but they won't.

Again, I'm NOT defending Apple keeping the number stored as an iPhone.

02-21-14 08:19 PM
    I turned out to be a easy fix... I don't blame Apple for not telling people about it.. Why should they make it easy to go to the competition? I am sure their legal teams have made sure that it is legal. We, as consumers need to keep this in mind and to let people know about this. The only way to make a company change is to hit them in the pocketbook... and I did my part with my switch and I will be sure to get as many people as possible join me...
    anon6040766 likes this.
    02-22-14 05:58 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD