So my brother and I headed to our local verizon store. He is almost completely decided on a Z30 (currently iPhone 5). They obviously don't carry the Z30 so my brother asks if another local location has it in stock.

The rep instead starts glorifying the Samsung Galaxy S5 and how my brother could walk out with it today! Without skipping a beat I laugh and tell him I would rather have no phone than have a galaxy phone. It was mostly a joke but it seemed to hit a chord. That rep left and we were helped with another for the remainder of the time.

I was joking when I said it but I told my brother before hand that they would try to sell him a Galaxy. They even tried to sell me a Galaxy when I went to pre-order a z10 the day it was made available for pre-order. I guess I was slightly annoyed that it happened again. (For the record I understand the Galaxy phones are very powerful and capable I just dislike them very much.)

So anyways, the other rep starts bashing BlackBerry phones and says he hated the z10 when it came out. He tried to sell my brother on other phones that have the "best ratings". It was fun to see the confused look on his face when he looked up the Z30 on the Verizon website and saw a perfect 5/5 rating.

Just thought I'd share

Edit: I didn't post this because I taught the verizon rep a lesson or "told him off". I honestly felt pretty bad about what I said as soon as I said it. This post was intended to show how much the reps at some verizon stores push galaxy/android phones too much(not all reps do this, and not all phone reps are bad people). It also was intended to show the negative perception some reps still have about blackberry and that the reviews for the phones are actually quite good.

My title is misleading, I wrote from a guilty perspective and not as if I had taught the rep a lesson. I genuinely felt bad about my response to the first rep.

Now we can peacefully continue the discussion
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by nkotselas; 06-15-14 at 09:17 PM.
    06-14-14 01:18 AM
    Lol what a loser. These people know nothing.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-14-14 01:22 AM
    Samsung, Apple. Samsung ? Apple???? SAMSUNG?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-14-14 01:24 AM
    For the average consumer, the Galaxy likely is the best bet, generically. That, coupled with certain enticements from Samsung, lead to a no-brainer for a sales rep trying to make a dollar. It should not be surprising.

It gets a little cloudier when a customer asks for a specific device but is attempted to be dissuaded.

You have to remember, these reps don't want returns. Likely, the Galaxy devices have the lowest return rate.
    06-14-14 01:29 AM
    Likely, the Galaxy devices have the lowest return rate.
    You just made that up... regardless the customer demands something you provide what he or she wants...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    bungaboy, lift, sk8er_tor and 7 others like this.
    06-14-14 01:32 AM
    I agree that the phone might be well liked by many which can lead to less returns but I believe it is a known issue that verizon employees push the sale of Android phones too hard. Even apple fans complain about it.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 01:45 AM
    I sometimes wonder if these sales reps actually make a higher sales commission on Samsung and other branded phones

I mean to have so much personal interest in what a consumer should or shouldn't buy can only mean they get something out of it too
    06-14-14 01:56 AM
    I've never worked in the cell phone industry but I have worked in commercial sales. And companies would offer SPIFF's (sales promotion incentive fund) for various products in their line.

For example Delta faucets would promote model "x" for the month of June every one sold = $5 extra commission. So even though the retail store had faucets by many manufacturers, that month every associate pushed that model.

So I'd venture to say SPIFF's are the culprit. And of course which handset each salesperson is most familiar with.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.296
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    06-14-14 02:06 AM
    I think anyone who goes into a Verizon store and asked for a BlackBerry this happens. No wonder they not selling in the states. And no advertising what so ever here in the states. None,0, nudda, ziltch, no where no how. I blame #blackberry for that.

Posted via CB10
    Sean Fanelli and SonyainTx like this.
    06-14-14 05:25 AM
    Personally, I've never had a Verizon rep entice me about an Apple or Samsung device. I guess I'm just forward and confident about what I want. Even when my storm was running on fumes and had to be replaced, they never did that. However, had a rep that bashed BlackBerry, but never enticed me about getting something other than that.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 06:10 AM
    You just made that up... regardless the customer demands something you provide what he or she wants...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Making things up is precisely what these reps unfortunately do..

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 06:24 AM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    I see a lot less Samsung returns than anything else. Just saying

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 06:37 AM
    Actually, the iPhone has the lowest return rate, followed by the Samsung Galaxy phones. I'm not at all drawn toward anything Samsung since they are all so flimsy and toy-like compared to the iPhone, Z30 or even the new HTC devices.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    06-14-14 07:10 AM
    As far as I know Samsung offers some sales reps kickbacks to push it's phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 07:16 AM
    I don't see no point on forcing someone be it friend or family to to get BlackBerry or any other phone and just let them buy whatever they are comfortable with. Average consumer probably will buy galaxy or iphone and even if you convince him to get BlackBerry they will probably change it to galaxy or iphone in few weeks cuz of app gap and I know many of you will jump SNAP but we all know everyone is not geek like us
    My dad is 55 years old owns iphone and he downloaded many games and apps and I can't tell him hey dad get BlackBerry and then sideload snap then use your google account then download Ohh and if you want to buy an app or game use your PC buy it then check it with your SNAP

Posted using my Q10 with double type keyboard issue
    06-14-14 07:20 AM
    I've never worked in the cell phone industry but I have worked in commercial sales. And companies would offer SPIFF's (sales promotion incentive fund) for various products in their line.

For example Delta faucets would promote model "x" for the month of June every one sold = $5 extra commission. So even though the retail store had faucets by many manufacturers, that month every associate pushed that model.

So I'd venture to say SPIFF's are the culprit. And of course which handset each salesperson is most familiar with.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.296
    I'm lucky, my store doesn't often do spiffs on specific brands, they do them based on level service being activated or if a device is EOL. Ironically the last bonus spiff was on BB10. I have a Z30 in my store that I brought in for a customer and the only one side eyeing it to buy is me lol.

I do know that I PERSONALLY don't sell based on spiffs. I'd rather the customer get the phone that will work best for them... They'll be happier. I actively discourage the practise in my reps as well as it causes nothing but problems. Others, though, do go based on spiff... A Rogers dealer I know won a M8 by selling 5 and he pumped the hell out of that phone. Is it a good phone? Yes, and I own one. But I don't like the practise he seems to swear by.

It only leads to upset customers and more work for us.

Now back to me ignoring the urge to buy that z30.

Sent from who cares, it shouldn't matter.
    06-14-14 07:34 AM
    The Z10 was hate-able on Verizon when it first came out. Random reboots requiring an OS update that took forever to release. It was the least reliable release of the Z10 in the USA. It was not what BlackBerry needed on launching their new OS. That phone has a 4.1 rating and I am sure a great deal of the poorer ratings come from the early adopters. One can understand someone on Verizon who stated they had real troubles with that phone when it was first released.

As to the 5/5 rating I have a Verizon account myself and looked and while there are individual 5/5 ratings - the phone itself is 4.8 on 168 reviews so they are not all 5/5. The GS5 btw has a 4.6 rating on over 3500 reviews I would say all in all similar.
    06-14-14 07:34 AM
    Likely, the Galaxy devices have the lowest return rate.
    I don't know about this.. but in Malaysia, Samsung is the leading brand.
    And just recently, I noticed many major shopping complexes have Samsung sales and service centers located in it.
    And most of the time, it's crowded with people taking numbers to check on their phone. Some with internal problems and some defects.
    And some just look clueless. LOL.
    And they wouldn't spend on the service part in their shops if the defects or returns is relatively low, would they?

Posted via my Astro Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3175
    rockitnyc likes this.
    06-14-14 07:43 AM
    I'm lucky, my store doesn't often do spiffs on specific brands, they do them based on level service being activated or if a device is EOL. Ironically the last bonus spiff was on BB10. I have a Z30 in my store that I brought in for a customer and the only one side eyeing it to buy is me lol.
    It's typically the manufacture that offers them, not the retail company. For example Samsung may offer $5 for each Galaxy 5 sold in the month if June, then maybe another model for month of July.

Now back to me ignoring the urge to buy that z30.

You can no longer resist. You must have the Z30. It is your destiny. Don't deny your destiny. Go to the light. Step into the light.
    Receive with great joy the beautiful device awaiting you in the light. Be brave. Don't look back. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.0.296 & Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.296
    gebco and kbz1960 like this.
    06-14-14 08:01 AM
    I
    It's typically the manufacture that offers them, not the retail company. For example Samsung may offer $5 for each Galaxy 5 sold in the month if June, then maybe another model for month of July.

You can no longer resist. You must have the Z30. It is your destiny. Don't deny your destiny. Go to the light. Step into the light.
    Receive with great joy the beautiful device awaiting you in the light. Be brave. Don't look back. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.0.296 & Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.296
    I know how it works. I manage a retail location. We just do it differently than most. Although you know how reps get villified on this board heh.

kbz1960 likes this.
    06-14-14 08:14 AM
    I hate Samsung so much. Not just phones, but electronics in general. To many people I know got burned by Samsung. They take your $$$ and run.

Posted via CB10
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    06-14-14 08:22 AM
    He tried to sell my brother on other phones that have the "best ratings". It was fun to see the confused look on his face when he looked up the Z30 on the Verizon website and saw a perfect 5/5 rating.
    lol, this is what we should do when an annoying reps comes along:

Would you please pull out your gorgeous S5 and go to your carrier website? yeah go to the Z30 customers' review section please... tell me what you see there... no apology is not accepted but thank you for doing that.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    06-14-14 08:57 AM
    For the average consumer, the Galaxy likely is the best bet, generically. That, coupled with certain enticements from Samsung, lead to a no-brainer for a sales rep trying to make a dollar. It should not be surprising.

It gets a little cloudier when a customer asks for a specific device but is attempted to be dissuaded.

You have to remember, these reps don't want returns. Likely, the Galaxy devices have the lowest return rate.
    ... working at the largest national telecommunications carrier, I can tell you they don't have the lowest return rate, not by a longshot.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    06-14-14 09:19 AM
    I sometimes wonder if these sales reps actually make a higher sales commission on Samsung and other branded phones

I mean to have so much personal interest in what a consumer should or shouldn't buy can only mean they get something out of it too
    Like moody stated, certain spiffs, but even BlackBerry 10 devices had their spiffs. Our commission comes in the form of service sales and not actually selling the hardware itself.

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob and dragon77 like this.
    06-14-14 09:21 AM
    This may put me at odds with some, but for those of us who work serving people, it is very off-putting when people are rude and disrespectful. I don't want to deal with condescending people, I certainly don't want to listen to their point of view because when a person will treat another person in a demeaning way there is really nothing I want to learn from them! I think those of us who want to move BlackBerry forward, can represent BlackBerry better by being part of a friendly interaction where perhaps both parties can gain from the experience, and BlackBerry users don't start being viewed as being arrogant know it all's.

And let's face it, it would be awfully nice if the people who are paid good money in the Marketing Dept at BlackBerry actually did their job... the Rogers Rep came to the employee appreciation day BBQ at a larger Ontario hospital with a dummy Z30 and no Z10. He had a functioning HTC and Samsung Note (not sure exactly which models) and was pushing a samsung mini. I would have loved to see how the Z30 functioned as I have been thinking of paying the early upgrade fee to get one. Also at the local Walmart, their Z10 appears to have the capability to work but is non functional. Why is this?!? We seem to care more about the success of BlackBerry than the people who are paid to care.

And there is so much rumour that we can't even keep it straight, and yet we expect salespeople who hear misleading and erroneous things in the media, and may even be fed inaccuracies from their management to know the facts at all times.

So maybe we should try being people that people like to spend a few minutes talking to, and maybe one person at a time we can be part of the solution instead of possibly being part of the problem.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 09:23 AM
90 123 ...