For Christmas I received the Jawbone Jambox.

I was excited to connect it to my new Z30 via bluetooth but when I paired it and played a music file I was disappointed with the excessive crackling sounds - especially since my phone was no more than 14 inches away from the Jambox. Sure, the devices paired easily but the sound quality is crap. I was expecting waaay more from the Jambox and was concerned I had a defective product.

Since I'm home for the holidays I had a chance to test the speakers using my Mom's iPhone 5 running IOS7 and my dad's new Samsung Note III.

I was not pleased with the results.

The Samsung Note III paired with the device and played the same exact music file with no crackling. The sound quality was decent.

The iPhone 5, however, was where the real surprise was - the speakers sounded amazing. All those reviews I'd read which praised the Jawbone immediately made sense. The Jawbone and iPhone are practically made for each other. After hearing the difference in sound quality I was really sad. :-(

There is no point in keeping the Jambox if the sound quality sucks. It's okay with a direct connection but part of the appeal of a mobile speaker is the ability to connect via bluetooth. I don't want to sacrifice audio quality because I prefer BB10.

Does anyone have any feedback? Have you experienced this problem? Do you know of a way to fix it? Do you have exceptional and identical sound quality between the iPhone and a BB10 device (preferably Z30)? Do you have any suggestions for other speakers?

The Z30 speakers are so good that I can probably live without an extra bluetooth speaker system so I could use the credit for some desk speakers. I'll take suggestions on that front, too!

*Not sure if it matters but I'm running the 1055 leak and plan on upgrading to the 1925 soon.
    Last edited by SmileDahling; 12-30-13 at 05:54 PM. Reason: *additional detail
    12-30-13 05:52 PM
    For Christmas I received the Jawbone Jambox.

I was excited to connect it to my new Z30 via bluetooth but when I paired it and played a music file I was disappointed with the excessive crackling sounds - especially since my phone was no more than 14 inches away from the Jambox. Sure, the devices paired easily but the sound quality is crap. I was expecting waaay more from the Jambox and was concerned I had a defective product.

Since I'm home for the holidays I had a chance to test the speakers using my Mom's iPhone 5 running IOS7 and my dad's new Samsung Note III.

I was not pleased with the results.

The Samsung Note III paired with the device and played the same exact music file with no crackling. The sound quality was decent.

The iPhone 5, however, was where the real surprise was - the speakers sounded amazing. All those reviews I'd read which praised the Jawbone immediately made sense. The Jawbone and iPhone are practically made for each other. After hearing the difference in sound quality I was really sad. :-(

There is no point in keeping the Jambox if the sound quality sucks. It's okay with a direct connection but part of the appeal of a mobile speaker is the ability to connect via bluetooth. I don't want to sacrifice audio quality because I prefer BB10.

Does anyone have any feedback? Have you experienced this problem? Do you know of a way to fix it? Do you have exceptional and identical sound quality between the iPhone and a BB10 device (preferably Z30)? Do you have any suggestions for other speakers?

The Z30 speakers are so good that I can probably live without an extra bluetooth speaker system so I could use the credit for some desk speakers. I'll take suggestions on that front, too!

*Not sure if it matters but I'm running the 1055 leak and plan on upgrading to the 1925 soon.
    I've got a Jawbone (Big) Jambox and I don't get any weird crackling sounds when I am streaming from my Q10 or PlayBook, (nor did I get any crackling sounds when I had my old Bold9900). The majority of music I stream through the Jambox is classical so any weird sound quality issues would soon become apparent

The only times I have had other people's phones connected to the Jambox it has been for conference calls (the reason for purchasing the Jambox in the first place), and I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality between my Q10 (and previously Bold 9900) versus various iPhones and Androids

Suggest you try your Jambox with another Z30 - especially one that has the official (non-leak) software on it
    12-30-13 06:06 PM
    I have a Bose Soundlink Bluetooth II and I use it with both my Z10 and PlayBook. Both (all three, really) sound absolutely gorgeous on it. I was in b Worst Buy with the new Z10, hiding behind a kiosk while streaming Anna Von Hausswolff's "Ceremony" album while auditioning the various bt speakers there, and you should have seen everyone come over to that section as it was playing on the Bose. Everyone was smiling as well. It doesn't have NFC though.
    I also have a pair of Nokia Play 360 bt speakers and they have NFC, which the Z10 connected to and played over with aplomb. Not as rich sounding as the Bose but no snap, crackle or pops are heard.
    All this using the Neutron Music Player as well.
    OP, either it is the Jambox itself or the bluetooth coding it uses. Believe me, I consider most gizmos and their purported tricks as well advertised lies, smoke and mirrors, from experience. I was greatly and pleasantly surprised at how well the Z10 performed its tricks with my speakers though.
    12-30-13 06:26 PM
    Wait! I take it back, sort of ...
    If you have any kind of effects processing heavily on the player (such as surround sound or the EQ settings overcooked) you will hear artifacts. Or bad recordings (low crap bitrate downloads from pirate [read: Stolen!] sites.
    12-30-13 06:35 PM
    I've got a Jawbone (Big) Jambox and I don't get any weird crackling sounds when I am streaming from my Q10 or PlayBook, (nor did I get any crackling sounds when I had my old Bold9900). The majority of music I stream through the Jambox is classical so any weird sound quality issues would soon become apparent

The only times I have had other people's phones connected to the Jambox it has been for conference calls (the reason for purchasing the Jambox in the first place), and I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality between my Q10 (and previously Bold 9900) versus various iPhones and Androids

Suggest you try your Jambox with another Z30 - especially one that has the official (non-leak) software on it
    If I knew anyone else with a Z30 I'd test it in a heartbeat! Sadly, it's like finding a camel wandering the streets of Los Angeles.

I'm thinking of purchasing the Neutron player and seeing if I can tweak it to perfection. I've been put off by a few reviews saying it's too complicated and the price but maybe it's a worth a shot.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 07:07 PM
    Well, so far you've only gotten rid of the possibility that it's a defective Jambox.

Next things to test are

* Is it your music file? Try other music files. Your music file just might be corrupt.
    * Is it your music player? Try playing music through other apps. Try playing YouTube. Try doing a speaker phone call on it. Your music player might just have a bad setting or bug.
    12-30-13 07:20 PM
    My understanding is that many of these music players are specifically calibrated for iPhone and Android and they often have some.kind of disclaimer telling you this. I've experienced a similar problem with my z30 and just opted to use my iphone4 and it worked perfectly

Posted via my Z30
    12-30-13 07:59 PM
    Update: still experiencing artifacts during bluetooth audio connection

I downloaded Neutron and played with the settings. Didn't seem to help. I also downloaded Monodio and strangely didn't experience much crackling using that. I experienced the most crackling with native music player...strange.

I drove to BestBuy and connected via bluetooth to a premium looking Sony bluetooth speaker. I experienced a *lot* of crackling via the native music player and not a lot using Monodio. No crackling was present if I directly connected with the cable.

I really hope it's the leak that's causing these issues. I'm upgrading to 1925 tonight and hope I have better news to report.
    12-31-13 01:59 AM
    I had the same with your leak version on z10 even in my car!
    Did not have that on the z30 with the newest leak.
    Please note that there are advanced settings in Bluetooth settings to optimize it. I didn't write down if some standard settings changed from 1056 to 1925

Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.1925 powered cb10
    12-31-13 02:42 AM
    Please note that there are advanced settings in Bluetooth settings to optimize it. I didn't write down if some standard settings changed from 1056 to 1925

I think this might confirm it - it was the leak giving me problems.

Sound quality is decent post-1925 update. It still has some distortion but at this point I think that's just Jawbone and not necessarily because of a faulty bluetooth connection.

1925 also fixed my camera lag! Go figure. :-)

Whew!
    12-31-13 03:41 AM

Sound quality is decent post-1925 update. It still has some distortion but at this point I think that's just Jawbone and not necessarily because of a faulty bluetooth connection.

Whew!
    12-31-13 03:41 AM
    I have a Z30 running a Official 10.2 release. I have a Sony BT speaker and it sounds beautiful when connected to my Z30. I tested it originally in Best Buy. I was quite pleased that I could just wave my phone over it connect initially via NFC then establish the BT connection and just walk away. I roamed around the store and discovered it stayed with me all the way across the store and no crackling at all. I did buy a pair of BT Motorola headphones and they crackled a lot. I got rid of those and went for the cheaper LG BT Head phones and I get no crackle.
    12-31-13 06:47 AM

Whew!
    Good news that it is now working ok - note: if I set the volume to maximum I do get a little distortion, but I have just tested this with a friend's Android and it is exactly the same (playing the same mp3 file)
    12-31-13 10:37 AM
    It's definitely not the audio processing on the Z30 unless you have some effect causing it to clip (go over the threshold) which would sound like crackling. The audio quality that BB10 produces far surpasses anything out there, at least in the mobile realm. A professional audio engineer assured me that nothing comes close.

So, barring amateurish effects settings in your player, it's either your bluetooth connection or the audio file itself.

Good luck!
    12-31-13 12:18 PM
    when you first get the Big Jambox, it does make those crackling sounds. both that i have were the same and after using them for a bit those noises took off. even the Mini Jambox was that way for me

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 01:50 PM
    It's the blue tooth on the leak. Upgrade to 1925 and it should fix the issue. Bluetooth streaming on 1055 was a disaster for me...

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 10:03 PM