Soooooo...after several times back and forth between the Z10 & the iPhone 5...and now going with my hearts desire to come back to BlackBerry after being away, looks like I should have nice Z30 in my hands in the next few days or so. I'm pretty excited, but I hope that I'll be patient enough with the OS10 this time to fully appreciate what so many here are enjoying. I really want to like the Z30.

First off...are there any here who left the iPhone 5/5s for the Z30?

How do I switch my information over? Will it transfer from iCloud any way?

How do I turn off iMessage?

Will my Gmail email account transfer seemlessly as it did on my legacy devices?

All in all...what do I need to do/learn/setup to make this a more user-friendly experience for me, a possible ex-iPhone user?

Any help here will be very much appreciated.
    05-30-14 02:25 PM
    Soooooo...after several times back and forth between the Z10 & the iPhone 5...and now going with my hearts desire to come back to BlackBerry after being away, looks like I should have nice Z30 in my hands in the next few days or so. I'm pretty excited, but I hope that I'll be patient enough with the OS10 this time to fully appreciate what so many here are enjoying. I really want to like the Z30.

First off...are there any here who left the iPhone 5/5s for the Z30?

How do I switch my information over? Will it transfer from iCloud any way?

How do I turn off iMessage?

Will my Gmail email account transfer seemlessly as it did on my legacy devices?

All in all...what do I need to do/learn/setup to make this a more user-friendly experience for me, a possible ex-iPhone user?

Any help here will be very much appreciated.
    I left my iPhone 4S for BlackBerry.

I recommend an app called Device Switch. It's free and you download it on your iPhone and your BlackBerry. Also check out Dropbox for your cloud needs - it's baked into BB10.

Turn off iMessage in your notification settings on the iPhone. Do it now to make sure it takes even though your new Z30 isn't here yet. Test receiving messages from other iphone users with iMessage turned off. You should have your bubbles with them be green instead of blue.

Gmail is seamless.

As for the switch, BBM me if you have any questions! I'll try to help out as best I can. Everyone's transition is different because they'll all have different usage needs. :-)

Pin:3341EECB

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    05-30-14 02:35 PM
    Oh, and buy an SD card. You'll want the extra memory if you're coming from an iphone with a lot of built in storage. I'm running with a 64gb SanDisk. I love the flexibility of having all my stuff on a SD card - something I didn't get with my old iPhone.

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    05-30-14 02:37 PM
    I have an iPhone 5 (company issued) and a Z30 (personal). I prefer the Z30 by a large margin. Aside from the good advice already offered, I'll add these.

How to Setup Gmail on your BlackBerry 10 Device

How to prevent deleted Gmail messages from archiving when synced using IMAP

For an IMAP account (such as Gmail), you have to select the sync period option when setting up the account. Use the standard email setup, until you get to the screen that gives you the option to toggle on/off contact/calendar sync. Tap "Advanced" at the bottom. Scroll to the very bottom, and set the "Initial Retrieval amount" to "Forever" (or your preferred sync period). You can also set your sync interval here as well. Note that if you'll be syncing a lot of messages, you should be on WiFi, unless you have a very generous data plan.

Enjoy your new device!
    05-30-14 02:44 PM
    Once you use the Z30 an iPhone is going to feel tiny.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 02:44 PM
    You will love the Z30. Me being an Android user, I was able to seamlessly switch over to BB10.
    05-30-14 03:08 PM
    Thanks for the help...and offers to help further. That's one thing that I've enjoyed being here since 2007...and lurking before that, and that's the family atmosphere here with most members wanting to help & share knowledge. Not all, of course..but most. I see members that have been here for years!

I know the times I tried the Z10, within a day I was frustrated with the gesture-led OS10 and couldn't wait to get back to my comfy iPhone. I was told to give it a week of total immersion before passing judgement so that's what I'm going to do. The member I am trading with (Rav) even offered to trade me back for my iPhone 5 if I totally hated the BlackBerry after a week of immersed use. Great member...can't ask for a better deal than that!

So, we'll see how it goes this time. I'll give it the shot it deserves anyway, and maybe I'll be a full fledged Crackberry again!

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    05-30-14 04:09 PM
    It just occured to me that you may find these helpful as well.

BlackBerry 10 "Getting Started/Tips"
    05-30-14 04:29 PM
    It just occured to me that you may find these helpful as well.

BlackBerry 10 "Getting Started/Tips"
    Thank you sir. And, yeah...I'll probably need at least that.
    05-30-14 04:50 PM
    If you don't see the answer in that tips page, you know where to find us!
    05-30-14 04:54 PM
    When you activate your icloud account on your phone it might be helpful to use @me instead of @icloud if your account goes back to the @me days. For some reason in my case anyway, success is 100% if I create my icloud mail, contacts and calendar account with @me whereas it's hit and miss with @icloud.

If you only use a gmail account but use the desktop mac interface for calendar and contacts, then ensure that preferences in both those desktop applications your gmail account is activated.
    05-30-14 04:56 PM
    Thanks again for all the help. I'm ready to get this show on the road!

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    05-30-14 10:06 PM
    I've also switched from iPhone 5s to Xperia z1 and now to Z30..let me tell yiu..this is the best productive phone I've ever had..

Love the hub everything I want in one place. Best keyboard on the planet!!

Typing is so much joy now

Sure you'll love it..let us know your feedback.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 10:29 PM
    Excited to hear your thoughts on BB10 and the Z30. If you're coming from an IPhone 5 I'm sure you'd love the speakers and great battery life.

Let me know as well if the screen resolution does not bother you that much since it's "only" 720p.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 10:44 PM
    Always nice to be home!

Posted via my Kick @ss Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    05-30-14 10:48 PM
    Just curious, but if you've been going back and forth between the iPhone 5 and Z10 then shouldn't you have experience with BlackBerry 10 which is identical to the OS on the Z30?

Not trying to sound off putting or anything, just a honest question.
    05-30-14 11:06 PM
    I left iPhone5 for Z10 then to Z30... never regret.. used iPhone5 for less than 2 months.

Posted via CB for Z30
    The Big Picture likes this.
    05-30-14 11:10 PM
    I had for more than 5 years android but i started with the Z10 and have now the Z30 with balance (work/private) but I also tested the nokia lumia 925,Apple 5S and samsung Galaxy S5. These are the company phone's . Windows is better in some ways then Apple 5S or Samsung Galaxy but it's not beating Blackberry OS because BB hub is better, keyboard is better and i love icons and gesture.

In my opinion BB10 OS is best followed by Windows, ios and last android.
    05-31-14 06:02 AM
    I left my iPhone 5S for the Z30. I still have a Nexus 5 because I am a fitness geek and need to have my Jawbone UP24 sync with Nexus. Wish OS10.3 is here, I heard that it will allow some fitness gadgets to sync. Am giving my "old" iPhone 5S to a sibling.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    05-31-14 08:11 AM
    Just curious, but if you've been going back and forth between the iPhone 5 and Z10 then shouldn't you have experience with BlackBerry 10 which is identical to the OS on the Z30?

Not trying to sound off putting or anything, just a honest question.
    And an honest answer...yes. But, I was so put off and frustrated at the learning curve required to get comfy with the OS10 (gestures and hub) vs. what I have been used to that I quickly took the first opportunity to come back to what I knew...and that was, and is the iOS. I must confess though that I a mobile freak through and through, and although it's comfy...I'm getting a bit bored with iOS as a whole. I need a little excitement in my life!

I am going to do my best this go around, to give due diligence to immersing myself in the OS10, so that I can really give it a fair shake. Let's face it, it's not ALL BlackBerry fanboys/fangirls here raving about the experience around here. There has to be some truth to it. But, I've also heard many say that if you aren't prepared for a learning curve, you won't appreciate the benefits.

Frankly, the only thing that I am having some trepidation about is the volume issue with the earpiece speaker on incoming calls, in anything but a perfectly quiet environment. I have around a 60% loss of hearing in my "phone ear" (please don't tell me to switch ears!), and a phone with a pretty loud/clear max volume adjustment is required to suit me. Let's face it...at the end of the day, this device is a PHONE first and foremost, and if I can't hear clearly without having to constantly be fiddling around trying to find a mysterious "sweet spot"...it's a dealbreaker for me no matter how wonderful & magical the OS10...or any OS is. The iPhone 5 is passable in this respect, and the Android leaders (Samsung/HTC) have this figured out. So...I'm hoping this, of all things, is a winner with the Z30 that's winging it's way to me.
    gokulesh likes this.
    05-31-14 08:46 AM
    I just got my Z30 two days ago and I switched from an iPhone 5s. I'm on t-mobile I've added my Gmail account and had contacts sync with my Z30. I installed device switch app on both my iPhone and Z30 and un selected the contact sync option and just synced photos, videos and calender so I don't have double contact names showing up on my new phone. Also I have a Samsung 64gb pro memory card installed so I had to move all my photos to the memory card after sync process.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 04:17 PM
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm curious. don't you miss the apps from iOS? Or is your phone just used for productivity and the app store is irrelevant?

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 05:16 PM
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm curious. don't you miss the apps from iOS? Or is your phone just used for productivity and the app store is irrelevant?

Posted via CB10
    The apps aren't irrelevant. However, between BB World and the Android apps available via Snap, I have almost everything I need. About the only thing I'm missing is Hangouts. That's definitely not enough to make me use my iPhone over my Z30.
    05-31-14 05:41 PM
    check this
    05-31-14 05:49 PM
    Alrighty then! FedEx just dropped the Z30 I was shipped by a CB member (Rav) a few minutes ago...and although I can turn it on, boot it up and try any calls or "swiping" right now...my initial impression of the hardware is that it's awesome. I am shocked that a phone with a 5" screen can feel so comfortable in my hand. MUCH moreso that a Samsung or HTC device. The construction seems solid, which is something I am a total stickler for...and it's balanced. Although I had handled a tethered one at my VZW store, I'd never actually held one & I'm impressed.

Now, to get home in a couple hours, slip my nanoSIM from my iPhone into the Z30 and make a few calls. If the earpiece volume is passable...then I know that the device will probably be a keeper.

More to come.
    06-03-14 05:32 PM
59 123