I have a Z30 in an Otter Box Commuter case. The other day I was at the marina working on my boat. My pickup truck was parked beside my boat and I put my Z30 on the tonneau cover on the back of the truck so I could hear it if it rang.

A couple of hours later, I finished up what I was doing, loaded up my tools and headed for home. I got out onto the highway and hit the hands free button to call my wife that I was on my way home. A message appeared on the display saying "no phone connected". That was strange I thought.

I then had the sickening feeling that the phone was still sitting on the cover. I immediately pulled over and checked. No phone...anywhere.

I then headed back to the marina. Just outside the marina on the highway I spotted a black object in the middle of the road. I pulled over and ran over to investigate. It was my phone
    I bent down and snatched it as a car was speeding towards me

I then looked at the phone. Still working.

Not a scratch. Not on the case, or anywhere on the phone.

I then got back in my truck and the phone connected via Bluetooth...i then called my wife and said "you wouldn't believe what I just did".

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 06:04 PM
    you are one crazy-azzed person!
    Glad the phone was safe too!

BTW Welcome to CrackBerry!
    05-22-15 06:15 PM
    I'm inspired! Next game of pond hockey and the puck is lost...Q10 in Defender case, you're up!

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 06:49 PM
    I and my wife have the same combination. It is the best phone/case combination that night have ever used....I like the Incipio Z10 case a little better though, it isn't as slick as the plastic backed commuter.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 07:42 PM
    I got hit by a Car at 65 MPH on my motorcycle. I had 4 broken ribs, a punctured lung among other things. My phone in an Otterbox Defender had not a scratch. Used it to call my wife when I came to.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 08:18 PM
    I got hit by a Car at 65 MPH on my motorcycle. I had 4 broken ribs, a punctured lung among other things. My phone in an Otterbox Defender had not a scratch. Used it to call my wife when I came to.

Posted via CB10
    Wow that is quite a.m experience you went through. We're glad you are apparently okay after all that.

And incidently, it's a very good thing that "Trauma Surgeon " wasn't the attending physician because he would have been transfixed by your phone /case and may have not even noticed your injuries.

Just saying....

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 08:57 PM
    ...while I am quite happy that my $45 investment in a case saved my $600 phone, I have to admit that when I was rushing back to the marina there were 2 things crossing my mind:

1. Should I replace the (obviously) smashed z30 with a Passport; or
    2. Should I go for the Classic?

Now I will just have to wait.

@Jimk345 - ouch. At 65 mph, I would say you're pretty lucky too - as well as your phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 09:25 PM
    I had a Motorola brick phone. No case. Put it on the roof of my car and packed my stuff in it. Then I drove off. I reached over to dial it and there was no phone. I realized what I had done and went back to the parking lot. The attendant handed me the phone in Two pieces, the battery and the phone. I slapped them together and it fired right up. Those old motorolas were tough. Can't see most modern phones surviving that experience without a case.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 10:32 PM
    I have a Z30 and a Otter Defender, the military has me parachute out of planes and I just put the phone in my uniform pocket and have never had any problems with my phone being damage. Now I on the other hand have had my share of bumps, bruises, scratches and cuts on these jumps!

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    05-22-15 10:59 PM
    Yea that commuter case is made well esp for the z30
    05-23-15 06:37 AM
    I have the Commuter and the Defender for my Z30. Both great cases. I count on the protection at construction job sites that I work on.

I kind of favor the Defender due to the holster and magnet combo. I do have a Seidio holster that I use with the Commuter but I still prefer the Defender.

Only beef with the Defender is the built in screen protector bows up off the screen a little and I have to use a little more pressure to type and swipe.

Otterbox has always been my favorite on many phones. Great cases.

VZW Z30 STA100-3 / 10.3.1.2744
    05-23-15 11:55 AM
    I tried the Otterbox Defender with a Z30, but I find the swiping from the edge of the screen to be more difficult than I like.

Also, the bulk of the case is bothersome.
    05-23-15 03:39 PM
    I have the Commuter and the Defender for my Z30. Both great cases. I count on the protection at construction job sites that I work on.

I kind of favor the Defender due to the holster and magnet combo. I do have a Seidio holster that I use with the Commuter but I still prefer the Defender.

What Seidio holster works with the Commuter case?
    05-23-15 03:40 PM
    What Seidio holster works with the Commuter case?
    Seidio Dilex for the S5. I did put a little heat on the bottom part of the holster to loosen it just a bit. Works perfect though. You can even pull the felt back on the holster and add a magnet to activate the sleep mode when holstered if you want to.

FF22 and Elite1 like this.
    05-23-15 05:51 PM