Not directly A10 related, but this review of the HTC One Mini might quell some of the screaming about the specs around these here parts:

My encounter with the HTC One mini underlines the increasing irrelevance of specs to the smartphone user experience. HTC managed to chop the One�s processing credentials in half without introducing any tangible performance shortcomings. The One mini betrays its budget limitations with a disappointing battery and a smaller feature set, but the fundamental experience of using it is nigh on identical to the senior One. That means you get both the good and the bad aspects of the original: stellar display and sturdy construction, but also unhelpful software and a substandard camera.
    Read the rest here: HTC One mini review | The Verge

Interestingly enough, the review points out two other things that people have been criticizing the A10 for: camera and display, and says that they can be or are the most important things that will attract customers.

Thoughts?
    07-29-13 10:36 AM
    Not directly A10 related, but this review of the HTC One Mini might quell some of the screaming about the specs around these here parts:

Read the rest here: HTC One mini review | The Verge

Interestingly enough, the review points out two other things that people have been criticizing the A10 for: camera and display, and says that they can be or are the most important things that will attract customers.

Thoughts?
    The writer can determine that, yes, however, the uninformed buyer will go 'Wow, is that good?' The associate will say, 'Oh yeah, it's better than_________!' It is human nature to want more bang for the buck. Thanks for quoting, by the way!
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-29-13 at 01:59 PM.
    07-29-13 10:43 AM
    The mini, by definition, is not a premium device. It's absolutely fine to sell a lower spec device for less than a higher spec one as the savings on components are being passed onto consumers. Consumers weight up the price-performance ratio and buy accordingly.

I think the fundamental issue with the A10 is that Blackberry fans were hoping for something to go toe-to-toe with the market leaders, and its specs means it is not the device to do this. Combined with Blackberry's track record for charging top prices for mid-tier specs, it doesn't look like a winner. Plenty of threads around here on this subject. I think it has been flogged to death.
    07-29-13 10:48 AM
    The mini, by definition, is not a premium device. It's absolutely fine to sell a lower spec device for less than a higher spec one as the savings on components are being passed onto consumers. Consumers weight up the price-performance ratio and buy accordingly.

I think the fundamental issue with the A10 is that Blackberry fans were hoping for something to go toe-to-toe with the market leaders, and its specs means it is not the device to do this. Combined with Blackberry's track record for charging top prices for mid-tier specs, it doesn't look like a winner. Plenty of threads around here on this subject. I think it has been flogged to death.
    Thank you. Therein lies the "main" problem.......the increasing "relevance" of the A10 specs.
    07-29-13 01:09 PM
    That's the thing... did BB ever announce that this is supposed to be their top-of-the-line, flagship, whatever whatever?

Not saying it's ideal, but for all we know, the REAL bomb could be up the pipeline...
    07-30-13 10:56 AM
    That's the thing... did BB ever announce that this is supposed to be their top-of-the-line, flagship, whatever whatever?

Not saying it's ideal, but for all we know, the REAL bomb could be up the pipeline...
    Well Heins basically hinted towards it saying that a high end smartphone would be coming later this year. The A10 is most likely that.
    07-30-13 11:02 AM

Thank you! It seems pretty obvious. Comparing the specs of the HTC One Mini to the A10 is comparing apples to oranges. They are completely different devices meant for different purposes. The mini will be a lower end device priced probably around $99 or so with a contract while the A10 is aimed towards the higher end market. The A10 is clearly not a high end flagship device that BlackBerry will try to pass it off as.
    07-30-13 11:05 AM
    Thank you! It seems pretty obvious. Comparing the specs of the HTC One Mini to the A10 is comparing apples to oranges. They are completely different devices meant for different purposes. The mini will be a lower end device priced probably around $99 or so with a contract while the A10 is aimed towards the higher end market. The A10 is clearly not a high end flagship device that BlackBerry will try to pass it off as.
    Of course, I wasn't trying to compare the specs between the two phones.

I'm focusing on that quote from the article about the increasing irrelevance of specs altogether. Who says that flagships need to have insane specs to compete? The article seems to be suggesting that they don't.

Granted the regular HTC One does have pretty good specs. Who knows what the next generation of flagships will look like?

It seems like all you need is just one or two major features that are immediately and obviously apparent: screen and camera.
    07-30-13 11:24 AM

The thing is, it doesn't matter what Heins said or didn't say, it is what the consumer expects and believes. The BB10 OS is far and away better that BB7. The Z10, Q10 and Q5 represented in the minds of the consumer BlackBerry's push toward the future. With that the consumer expects, and rightfully so, that every device that follows the three listed will move the bar even further. The A10 does not appear to do that, it seems to just be holding the line (so to speak).

To the consumer the next BlackBerry should be a top of the line phone when viewed against all the other devices being offered and sadly the A10 isn't even top of the line when viewed through the narrow prism of just BlackBerry.
    07-30-13 11:40 AM
    Of course, I wasn't trying to compare the specs between the two phones.

I'm focusing on that quote from the article about the increasing irrelevance of specs altogether. Who says that flagships need to have insane specs to compete? The article seems to be suggesting that they don't.

Granted the regular HTC One does have pretty good specs. Who knows what the next generation of flagships will look like?

It seems like all you need is just one or two major features that are immediately and obviously apparent: screen and camera.
    The screen and camera are the 2 biggest mistakes. But here's the thing: BlackBerry has nothing right now that sets them apart from the competition. That means that the A10 won't be noticed in a Verizon or AT&T or whatever store. And why should people notice it and why should they buy it? It isn't a real upgrade from the Z10. And what would make an iPhone or Android user buy it when they already have great established phones. There's nothing about the A10 that is screaming "I AM AWESOME! Take a chance on me!" In order to stand out, the A10 will need bigger and better specs to compete
    07-30-13 12:06 PM

Then Why do people pay a premium for an iphone with mid tier specs? Don't use th os is optimized ecuse because BB10 is optimized for the hardware too.
    07-30-13 12:17 PM
    thankyou, at leats someone see`s reason. The A10 can be lower specced than its rivals so long as its price reflects its specs.
    07-30-13 12:20 PM

Funny my Z10 does compete with the new market leaders (GS4, HTC one) without the "high end specs" everyone keeps wanting to see in the A10. Why put a quad core just because? or is it to reduce battery life?
    07-30-13 12:22 PM
    Then Why do people pay a premium for an iphone with mid tier specs? Don't use th os is optimized ecuse because BB10 is optimized for the hardware too.
    Well because it's an iPhone. Apple has that great brand image. Plus, I don't think I would call the iPhone 5 mid tier. Maybe now, but when it came out it was definitely high end.

Funny my Z10 does compete with the new market leaders (GS4, HTC one) without the "high end specs" everyone keeps wanting to see in the A10. Why put a quad core just because? or is it to reduce battery life?
    Because consumers generally don't know that. They just compare specs. They will look at the A10 side by side the GSIV, iPhone 5s, Note III, etc and say "Oh well since this one is only dual core, it must be slower". And there won't be that many people out there who would own the A10 to convince people it is worth it. BlackBerry doesn't have the brand image and popularity that Apple or Android has. And the processor and RAM specs COULD be overlooked by some consumers IF the screen was much better and the camera was much better. Or even if there was a larger app selection.
    07-30-13 12:30 PM
    BGR has an article saying the next Kindle Fire HD will use a Snapdragon 800. Top end specs at rock bottom prices. Interesting business model!
    07-30-13 01:16 PM
    After reading all the various discussions I do agree that some specs don't matter. For example, user experience is more important than dual-core or quad-core. And after a certain point increased screen resolution doesn't matter (720p is fine).

However, there are still some specs that matter! It needs to have enough RAM because BB10 is RAM hungry. It needs enough memory because music and books take up a lot of space. It needs a big battery so we don't have to worry about charging it (unlike other phones). And it needs a big camera so that it can deliver high quality photos.

Let's be intelligent about the spec discussion. Some matter and some don't!
    07-30-13 06:47 PM
    Because if you see the benchmarks iPhone's dual-core outdid quad-cores from around the same time.

Apple makes their own processors as opposed to getting it from Qualcomm like every other manufacturer.
    07-30-13 07:41 PM