09-06-13 11:11 PM
372 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    The ONLY reason BB10 is not on PlayBook is due to the 1GB ram. In terms of processing power, PlayBook has ample and in fact, if you recall, early developer releases of the BB10 Alpha devices included only 1 active processor core.

So we know BB10 can run on a single core processor with 2GB of ram. However due to the way it multitasks active applications, it does require more than 1GB ram to keep all threads singing and dancing. This was sometimes evident even on PlayBook OS when the occasional app would drop because the system runs out of system memory for active applications.

When you say "specs" what you are really referring to is "ram". And from what we've seen, BB10 requires just a tad more than 1GB ram to operate with multiple apps running.

The core OS itself is VERY efficient and doesn't require high specs at ALL in terms of processing power. What it DOES require is 2GB of ram to rock out, and that's exactly what it's getting on current and future devices. As for processing power? Dual core is more than enough for a platform like BB10 and with the continual architecture improvements in modern dual core mobile processors, it's quite possible we'll be seeing anything from 20 - 30% boost in processing speed when the new BlackBerry model drops.

For me, this boost is excellent and when combined with the constant refining of BB10, the new BlackBerry will no doubt be the smoothest BlackBerry device ever - giving other competitors a run for their money, regardless of specs.

Think "power to weight" but for smartphones. It may not have an octo-core, but it's light in terms of OS efficiency, so it needs less.

At the end of the day, does the new BlackBerry do all I require it to do and more? Most probably.
    Will I be getting one? Most definitely.
    RAM is a "spec" in the sense we are referring to.
    07-11-13 06:35 PM
    I thought they had said the Z10 would be good for the next 10 years.............I guess the platform
    07-11-13 06:43 PM
    and yes it is always better to have a pick up diesel even if you use it like a car....but it is there for when you need it...( that power)...

so they should have made the Z with 32 or 64 internal memories with expendable slot...

so that all the gamer junky would have had all the space required for them.........
    07-11-13 06:47 PM
    PlayBook has ample and in fact, if you recall, early developer releases of the BB10 Alpha devices included only 1 active processor core.
    whoa now, let me stop you right there, they were dual core processors running with both cores enabled, they were actually 1.5ghz OMAP 4460`s, which I believe was the same as the PlayBook 4G, which is what the OS originally was (a 1280x768 version of OS2, but not modified for that screen size so touch points were `iffy` at best). heres some specs for ya Spec Shootout: Dev Alpha A vs Dev Alpha B | CrackBerry.com.

obviously I could well be wrong as I was only about the tenth in line in orlando when they first started handing them out,
    07-11-13 07:00 PM
    why is BGR showing something they hate so much.
    07-11-13 07:07 PM
    hmm guess i was wrong. Still strange that bgr has BB devices pics bbefore community and is following BB this close .Closet fan much??
    07-11-13 07:26 PM
    For once I'm too lazy/don't have enough time to go through every post in a thread before posting a question I hope has been answered already:

I have repeatedly read and re-read both the BGR article (starting yesterday) and the CB article (starting today) and I can find NO SPECS WHATSOEVER about the A10 in either article, other than some vague mention.

Where are these detailed specs people keep talking about??
    07-11-13 07:32 PM
    For once I'm too lazy/don't have enough time to go through every post in a thread before posting a question I hope has been answered already:

I have repeatedly read and re-read both the BGR article (starting yesterday) and the CB article (starting today) and I can find NO SPECS WHATSOEVER about the A10 in either article, other than some vague mention.

I think blaize point them out on the first couple pages
    07-11-13 07:53 PM
    •5" OLED/HD/WXVGA, 1280X720, 24 bit color, S Stripe Pixel Arrangement, 295PPI
    •BlackBerry OS 10.2
    •8MP Rear Camera with Flash, 5X 2MP Front Camera
    •MicoUSB, HDMI
    •2800mAh Battery
    •802.1b/g/n - HotSpot
    •NFC/DLNA/MicroSIM

And that's all I'm willing to give up... right now... cause there's different versions
    07-11-13 07:55 PM
    I think blaize point them out on the first couple pages
    What article is this? I'm not talking about some old speculation, I'm talking about what is supposed to be recently discovered info from the last 24 hours or so.

Can you please tell me where that info is found in the following articles?

CB article July 11:
    First image of the BlackBerry A10 leaked! | CrackBerry.com

CB article July 10:
    BlackBerry 9720 and flagship BlackBerry A10 still set to release later this year | CrackBerry.com

BGR article July 10:
    BlackBerry A10 Astro, BlackBerry 9270 Photos Revealed in Exclusive | BGR
    07-11-13 08:14 PM

Bla1ze listed some specs. He also stated that there was going to multiple versions, however, he also stated this :

You're not getting a 1080p screen.
    We are currently living in the land of 1080 screens and quad core processors. I am driving a quad core 1080 screen Ferrari right now. I don't want a VW Golf.

Mr Bla1ze, if you're buddy buddy with the powers that be with BB, please straighten them out. IDGAFF if someone else gets credit for this, but I think that they should goto HTC and buy a million or so Ones, slap BB10 and the BB symbol on it, and call it the A10. It's win win.
    07-11-13 08:15 PM
    As BB users we know it doesn't "need" to be over spec'd to run well. Unfortunately, what's needed and what the market dictates is needed to be successful are 2 different things. What does the next BB really need? Marketing for one. If it's not going to truly have the specs to compete, it needs to look or sound like it does. Have you heard of the Retina display? What's the Z10 screen called? Have you heard of iTunes? What's BBs software called? Link?, like the guy from Zelda? Why does everyone know what processor is in the S4 and the iPhone? Because they tell you! I know, BB tells you on their site it has the Qualcomm S4, but it's listed at the bottom of specs, almost in hindsight. It's actually got a great name from a marketing standpoint. I keep hearing about all these "billions" that BB has - well it's time to pony up Blackberry. If the A10 is going to have a 720 screen, fine, but call it something you can market -"Our new cutting edge Pixelator 5000 is our best screen ever!". Only a dual core processor you say? "Our ultra-fast Twin-Fire ™ processor keeps things moving!" Need to keep everything sorted and synchronized? No problem, keep organized with Blink ™ ! (see what I did there?)
    Seriously though, without the right marketing, even if they do have comparable specs, it won't matter.
    And that leaves apps. How many dozens of threads have we seen about app A and app B ? BB needs to have the flavor of the week. I have heard countless people say " Can you get ______ on that? No? Oh, I have to have _____ on my phone."
    But that brings us back to marketing. They need to market to sell and sell to get the apps. It's going to be tough. Of course, this all may be the beer talking, so just ignore me
    Jeremy Bivens likes this.
    07-11-13 08:31 PM
    As BB users we know it doesn't "need" to be over spec'd to run well. Unfortunately, what's needed and what the market dictates is needed to be successful are 2 different things. What does the next BB really need? Marketing for one. If it's not going to truly have the specs to compete, it needs to look or sound like it does. Have you heard of the Retina display? What's the Z10 screen called? Have you heard of iTunes? What's BBs software called? Link?, like the guy from Zelda? Why does everyone know what processor is in the S4 and the iPhone? Because they tell you! I know, BB tells you on their site it has the Qualcomm S4, but it's listed at the bottom of specs, almost in hindsight. It's actually got a great name from a marketing standpoint. I keep hearing about all these "billions" that BB has - well it's time to pony up Blackberry. If the A10 is going to have a 720 screen, fine, but call it something you can market -"Our new cutting edge Pixelator 5000 is our best screen ever!". Only a dual core processor you say? "Our ultra-fast Twin-Fire ™ processor keeps things moving!" Need to keep everything sorted and synchronized? No problem, keep organized with Blink ™ ! (see what I did there?)
    Seriously though, without the right marketing, even if they do have comparable specs, it won't matter.
    And that leaves apps. How many dozens of threads have we seen about app A and app B ? BB needs to have the flavor of the week. I have heard countless people say " Can you get ______ on that? No? Oh, I have to have _____ on my phone."
    But that brings us back to marketing. They need to market to sell and sell to get the apps. It's going to be tough. Of course, this all may be the beer talking, so just ignore me
    Well, listening or not, more-of-the-same will get the same or worse results. So, something has to change. Marketing is a good start.
    07-11-13 09:27 PM
    I find my Z10 to be better than other phones in some areas. It's sure as tall as most phones too, yet not as wide usually.

And you know... The Z10 performs very well. I'd expect the A10 to perform just as well.

So yeah, you'll get your bragging rights. Just don't get into an apps fight or it may get ugly.

By the time the A10 releases there will be more apps. All people want are the big name apps ie instagram so apps wouldn't be such a big deal anymore. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 09:52 PM
    BlackBerry is never going to make a come back without conveying what the bb10 can accomplish. The biggest hurdle is the unwarranted negative onslaught from the press. If you search BlackBerry, once you get past their own advertising sites , it's gloom and doom from there on in. Other companies have amazing marketing to offset this kind of thing. Of course, we will buy BlackBerry. If other potential buyers don't have marketing eye candy, they will be forced to research if they're at all interested. After reading ten negative articles on the first search page, it's game over. Things will never change if BlackBerry doesn't attack this issue. Without powerful marketing, it's game over. Frustrating!

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 11:31 PM
    That doesn't mean he's right just because he works at BlackBerry. We've all heard the story of so and so person being a manager who said this and that with the wrong info. Not everyone has the same level of exposure to information, which is the same for any company. Can you imagine how fast anything would leak if everyone had the same level of information? Wouldn't even be funny
    - Actually he had both the Q10 and Z10 well before they were launched .... the screen won't be a 1080p that was my mistake, but it known that Blackberry is holding out for a quad-core processor with which they can manage better battery life, or they may push a higher clocked dual-core (as being currently tested).

I am dissapointed about the blackberry 7 phone though ...
    07-12-13 01:27 AM
    The first thing most blogs are gonna do is compare it with the Note 3....and that will not be good with these specs. Say what you want about BGR, his Blackberry leaks are pretty reliable.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-12-13 01:50 AM
    I didn't own a smart phone . Z10 is my first smart phone. If A10 had this specs, i'd go with iphone 5s or HTC one in a heart beat because I don't want to get stuck in a BB land where everything is slow and outdated.
    So your Z10 is slow?
    07-12-13 02:57 AM
    hmm guess i was wrong. Still strange that bgr has BB devices pics bbefore community and is following BB this close .Closet fan much??
    They quite often out exclusive stuff, and a lot of the time well before sites like this. But we'll never know, cause no one here reads BGR.
    07-12-13 03:57 AM
    Not full 1080HD?

Yeah, that says it.
    07-12-13 04:31 AM
    Not full 1080HD?

Yeah, that says it.
    You want a 1080p A10 with no apps? Because there won't be many as developers would have to rewrite their apps to support that resolution.
    07-12-13 05:56 AM
    The fact that it is a HD 720p screen means that it will consume less battery than one with 1080p.
    This statement doesn't mean much. The A10 has an OLED screen. This means that only pixels that are lit consume appreciable amounts of power. With a 1080 p screen, you will have smaller pixels than with a 720p screen. Smaller pixels will consume less power than bigger pixels. But, comparable amounts of screen real estate will be illuminated on both screens. That means that it is essentially a wash.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 06:22 AM
    - Notice Nexus devices dont play the specs games. Because they are built for the OS. No need to push the power.
    Don't think I would agree with that point, at least with regards to the Nexus phones. With the N4, it was quad core and 2GB of RAM and when it came out in November, I think there was only one other quad core Android phone out there (S3??). More Android phones are quad core now but at least when the N4 came out, they were playing the specs game. And with the two previous Nexus phones being built by Samsung, they too had stuff that was at the top for the time (I guess more screen size than anything else). Nexus phones are built, in theory, to push new features/functionality of the OS so they'll focus on things like screen size, processors, RAM... Samsung and HTC push things in terms of specs more so for what they are adding to core Android experience.

Funny that Nexus tablets don't push the envelope much. Was really disappointed with the experience of the N7, partly due to hardware as their isn't enough RAM, and partly due to Android still not being optimized enough for tablets yet.
    07-12-13 07:14 AM
    The leaked spec sheet that was on crackberry a while back regarding the A10 was actually accurate if you take into account what Bla1ze said, the diff versions are probably just the radios and thus potentially the processor

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 08:01 AM
    The Galaxy S4 is a quarter-inch taller and an eighth-inch wider than the Z10.
    Cool story.

Firstly a quarter-inch sounds little, but added to a physical device it's MUCH.
    Secondly an eigth-inch sounds little, but added to a physical device it's MUCH.
    Thirdly the ratio of the front that is filled up with screen plays a very important role for one handed use. If you switch the GS4s 5" screen to a 4.2" one while leaving the rest of the case as it is, the phone will be a lot easier to handle, although its dimensions beside the screen kept the same. The reason is that you can't reach every corner of the screen with one thumb if the bezels are too small.
    07-12-13 08:14 AM
372 ... 7891011 ...