SCREEN RESOLUTION:
    To everybody saying that the BB devices are optimized for 720p, and that 1080p makes no difference so who cares... how do you think that plays into public perception? Public perception is the KEY driving force for a turnaround. People want the best specs available these days when it comes to their phones. They want their devices to be future proofed (at least for the short term). I'm pretty sure everybody who says "720p is just fine" has a spot deep down where they KNOW 1080p is what BB needs. At the end of the day, not many people are going to want a phone with 2012/2013 specs.
    It's not just that some loudmouthed idiots declare stupid things eg you cannot tell teh difference tc - but it's actually about real estate for productivity eg logging into a machine remotely in 1080p vs 720p makes a huge difference when you try to juggle multiple desktop apps in RDP.
    07-15-13 11:42 AM
    Someone should create an A10-related poll. Question number 1 should read:

"Do you think the BlackBerry A10, with its reputed specs and leaked build photos, will win back BlackBerry's lost market share and reverse the company's floundering BB10 sales?"

Fairly certain the vast majority, even on this BlackBerry enthusiast site, will answer 'no'.

This will put the argument to bed once and for all.

Posted via CB10
    I'm Disappointed ( BGR reveals specs for the Z30)-3v6r69.jpg
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-15-13 11:44 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3v6r69.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	182863
    :-D

Brilliant!

Posted via CB10
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    07-15-13 11:54 AM
    Disappointed? Don't buy it.
    07-15-13 11:59 AM
    Your mistaken.
    Watch for yourself and see exactly what he exactly says:

at 8:14:
    He talks about the number of iTunes accounts (but doesn't say how many get used on a regular basis vs. have never been used or not used in a long time). Again, as an example, my GF and her best friend have an iTunes account (needed to set up their iPhones). Neither has ever bought an app, a song or a book from Apple. The number of people using iTunes on a regular basis to make purchases is likely enormous, but also likely less than the number Tim threw out there.

at 1 hour, 9 min:
    He talks about the number of devices they've ever shipped (iPhone 1, iPhone 3G to present day), but does not say what percentage are still in use. As I said above, if my friend's wife has purchased multiple iOS devices, but a few have been destroyed/replaced and one is thrown in the drawer, they aren't all "being used". My GF's best friend has an iPhone 3GS, and it sits in a drawer because she's now on a Galaxy.

At 1 hour, 12 min:
    Then here, he talks about the upgrade rate. He says, "over 90% of iOS users are using the latest version of iOS". Notice he does not say, "over 90% of our 600 million iOS users is on iOS 6". This is because the number of devices actively in use is lower than this. Several of my Mac fanatic buddies have every iPhone ever made. They only actually use the current one and don't necessarily (or can't) have iOS 6 on the older, unused devices.

Tim Cook is doing exactly what CEOs everywhere (BlackBerry too) do ... he's using stats to market, but if you ever were to get into them in more detail with him, they'd become less impressive. That's why someone wrote the old book "Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics".

The debate is not whether Apple has a massive base, a massive store or massively satisfied users. The just do not have 600 million distinct iOS users as is interpreted.

"Combined with the Apple's recent revelation that it has 575 million active iTunes accounts now, "
    See the clip. Nowhere does he say they are actively being used, how often or how many have never been used. Just that they exist.

To use this in a BlackBerry context, it's like saying RIM has 150 million active users (not 72 million) because they announced a few years ago that they had shipped their 150 millionth device.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/03/bla...-last-quarter/
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 07-15-13 at 01:10 PM.
    07-15-13 12:58 PM
    These could be the initial specs of the device when it was in planning, but the final production of the device may include up to date specs. Otherwise, it will be a bad move on BB's part, even though the specs are adequate for the needs of BB10 software and devices. Releasing these specs on a new device will be inviting criticism from the press and industry that Blackberry is still playing catch up and are behind the times.

Most consumers when buying a high-end phone consider the relevance of the specs both now and it's potential to stay relevant throughout at least a two year contract or upgrade.

So, I'm hoping BB has sobered up and will do the right thing and release more competitive and relevant specs.
    I think you are really only looking at Android, and its need to play the specs game.

Is the iPhone 5 running a quad core? Will the next iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 02:46 PM
    To paraphrase someone funny "you really understood color science" you would know this makes exactly zero sense.

Another preciously hilarious comment - since when any calibration on a phone is not by preference, for God's sake?
    A desktop display is in a more or less steady light conditions - a phone is NEVER like that, if "you really understood" color calibration you would know very well that it only makes sense in terms of the surroundings.
    Um. . . No.

Colors can change depending on ambient light conditions but that does not mean that they should not be calibrated to a standard for use under common ambient light conditions and color temperatures.

I color calibrate my TVs even though there may be more light in the room in the afternoon or morning.

Unless you work in a windowless office your desktop display is not under steady light conditions either.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 03:10 PM
    T,FIFY
    Android is buttery smooth on my dual core Galaxy Nexus. Stock Android makes a difference.

Still doesn't change the fact that hardware is relevant no matter how great it runs on less cores.
    07-15-13 05:00 PM
    So, effectively is this a larger Z10? If not, what's the other differences? If so, it's DOA.
    07-16-13 03:22 AM
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before but with these "lower end specs" (not really) the input costs are lower so they can afford to POSSIBLY undercut the competition. There's many different ways to beat the competition, economics is one of them.
    07-16-13 03:33 AM
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before but with these "lower end specs" (not really) the input costs are lower so they can afford to POSSIBLY undercut the competition. There's many different ways to beat the competition, economics is one of them.
    They are selling the Q5 at around $400 overseas. The Q10 and Z10 are sold at a premium still. The A10 is supposed to be the flagship. I can't see them selling this at a discount. It's not in their DNA.
    07-16-13 03:45 AM
    They are selling the Q5 at around $400 overseas. The Q10 and Z10 are sold at a premium still. The A10 is supposed to be the flagship. I can't see them selling this at a discount. It's not in their DNA.
    Valid point, but they may very well surprise us. It's a shame really.
    07-16-13 03:53 AM
    Only 295 ppi?

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 04:23 AM
    It's not just that some loudmouthed idiots declare stupid things eg you cannot tell teh difference tc - but it's actually about real estate for productivity eg logging into a machine remotely in 1080p vs 720p makes a huge difference when you try to juggle multiple desktop apps in RDP.
    That's laughable. You are actually working on multiple desktop apps at the same time with a 5" screen? Even with the Playbook, it was difficult to use one app via RDP.
    07-16-13 05:21 AM
    Only 295 ppi?

Posted via CB10
    Still higher than a person with 20/20 vision needs.
    07-16-13 05:24 AM
    That's laughable. You are actually working on multiple desktop apps at the same time with a 5" screen? Even with the Playbook, it was difficult to use one app via RDP.
    So now you're dictating what people can do with their phones and not just what phones they need?
    07-16-13 10:07 AM
    So now you're dictating what people can do with their phones and not just what phones they need?

The sad thing is, that BlackBerry doesn't even pay him for all of the defending and apologising and copy-pasting.

If he would at least have an official paid corporate shill position from BlackBerry's marketing team...

But no, this guy is so sad that he is doing it for free...

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-16-13 10:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe he isn't though. Maybe it's Frank Boulben in disguise, especially since he's so obsessed with marketing.
    07-16-13 11:06 AM
    I too raised my eyebrows when I read the so-called specs of the A10. My initial thinking was if the Z10 is a flop, then why build a larger version? To see the effects of what a bigger flop will do for you? Yikes!

I like the size. If the camera is not the best 8mp camera on earth, that would be the first step in committing suicide. If you are really going to give the S4 a run for its money, then do exactly that. Put the same camera (at a MINIMUM) in the A10 as the S4 and be sure it has no issues whatsoever.
    Build and release the exact spec phone size etc. with a keypad and release it on the exact same day so users have a choice and do not have to wait a single minute for the the version they want. Same phone, only adjust the screen size to facilitate the keyboard!
    Be sure it supports runs all android apps that matter with ease & precision. Be sure it is the absolute best quality build possible and price it in a way that will have them rushing to the door to get it while they can and before the price goes up because of demand.
    Now you can sleep because you have in fact done everything to insure the success of your new flagship A10!
    Cheers,
    07-16-13 11:12 AM
    My initial thinking was if the Z10 is a flop,
    What constitutes "flop" or "not flop"? :-)

Has it sold as well as BlackBerry expected? Don't know .... haven't seen the forecasts.

Did they want it to sell better or worse than the iPhone and Galaxy and does not doing so make it a "flop?"

Does it need to sell a million, two million, five million, ten million or one hundred million to be considered a "success"?

There are phones that have sold better than the Z10, and phones that have sold worse. Where's the cutoff?
    07-16-13 12:50 PM
    Have you tried to do what he said?
    07-16-13 01:37 PM
    The sad thing is, that BlackBerry doesn't even pay him for all of the defending and apologising and copy-pasting.

If he would at least have an official paid corporate shill position from BlackBerry's marketing team...

Posted via CB10
    What is so sad is you think you can effectively RDP with multiple apps open with a 5 inch phone. Have you actually tried it? Probably not. That is the sad part. You will accept anything as long as it gets your 1080 screen.
    07-16-13 01:39 PM
    Have you tried to do what he said?
    Is every comment you make a strawman?

See what I did there
    07-16-13 02:24 PM
    Is every comment you make a strawman?

See what I did there
    Do you ever answer questions?
    07-16-13 03:09 PM
    Underwhelmed as well. If it was going to look a lot better (higher quality body / screen) and have higher performance hardware (processor / ram) I would have seriously considered buying it. Now, I will stick with my Z10 for the time being.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 11:07 PM
372 ... 1011121314 ...