IPhone does not have mega specs and it sells well too.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, because

- it has 200 million loyal and satisfied users from times where the iPhone actually did have mega specs (BB10 not)
    - it always runs buttery smooth (BB10 not)
    - it's built and designed like jewelry (the Z10 and likely the A10 not)
    - it has the biggest number of apps (BB10 not)
    - it has the best quality apps (BB10 not)
    - every new must-have-app launches on iOS first (not on BB10)
    - it has loads and loads and loads of other content, too (BB10 not)
    - it has a boatload of available accessoires (BB10 not)
    - it has a seamless integration to many other hardware devices (hardware ecosystem) (BB10 not).
    - it still punishes Android flagships in some GPU benchmarks (BB10 not)

Heins: "We're not in the specs race"
    Cook: "Well, we aren't for sure, but you definitely, Sir."
    szlevi, notfanboy, aha and 2 others like this.
    07-12-13 08:33 AM
    why is BGR showing something they hate so much.
    Because they want to show how awful these specs are.

I love my Z10, but there is no way I would buy a bigger version of it at the end of 2013. 1080p, quadcore and 3GB RAM is a must IMO to remain relevant and competitive.
    07-12-13 08:34 AM
    - it has 200 million loyal and satisfied users from times where the iPhone actually did have mega specs (BB10 not)
    Actually, I don't think anyone knows how many active users there are. They know how many iOS devices have ever been shipped, but obviously, not all are in use. It's huge and the point remains that you made. Just always wondered this. When Tim Cook crows, "We've sold 400 million iOS devices" to brag to app developers about the size of the market, I always want to ask, "how much of that is addressable right now (meaning, how many distinct users are there of those devices?)"

It does not always run buttery smooth. Why do people keep spouting this nonsense?! My iPod touch is the laggiest fracken device in my house. My iPhone 4S doesn't always respond to button or link presses without a delay. It sometimes jerks going between the search screen and the home screen. And it certainly isn't "buttery smooth" compared to my Z10. The iPhone 5 might be a different story, but the three iOS devices I have are most definitely not always. And definitely not where I see them being smoother than my Z10.

I agree fully with your other points, but I call BS on this. I am an iOS owner too and I get tired of seeing it. Do a search for "iPhone 5 lag" on google and you'll see that other people too can experience this.
    07-12-13 08:40 AM
    It does not always run buttery smooth...
    Granted, iPhones get a bit slower with each update. But the point is that an iPhone is buttery smooth and runs flawless the day you purchase it. It will just get a bit laggy after a year or two when it's quite some time in use and updated to one or two iOS versions higher. People are okay with this, because it was a great product out of the box and for a long period of time. If a great product people love gets worse or less good over the course of one or two years or big software updates, people are fine with it and forgive their device, just considering to purchase the successor ("yeah, this one's gotten old, time for a new one"). The bottom line is that they will very likely remember a great product.

The Z10 instead lags out of the box in some occassions. Peeking, minimizing for multitasking and scrolling over the homescreens stutter sometimes, especially when the browser is opened, sometimes even when nothing's open at all. Peek or swipes within the HUB stutter quite often. The settings screen needs to load for 5 seconds sometimes I open it. Pulling up and down the keyboard seems to run with 4 fps, especially in the browser and when entering a chat within the HUB.
    07-12-13 08:58 AM
    Its just a leak. False leak.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 09:01 AM
    Because they want to show how awful these specs are.

I love my Z10, but there is no way I would buy a bigger version of it at the end of 2013. 1080p, quadcore and 3GB RAM built-in FULLY FUNCTIONAL, BUTTER-SMOOTH Android 4.2+ performance is a must IMO to remain relevant and competitive.
    T,FIFY
    07-12-13 09:14 AM
    Its just a leak. False leak.

Posted via CB10
    I hope so, I really-really hope so or they lost people like me - hardcore Android productivity users very frustrated with the lack of unified communication and the overall lack of app performance control - for a long time, possibly forever (as they would run out of money faster.)
    07-12-13 09:18 AM
    Granted, iPhones get a bit slower with each update. But the point is that an iPhone is buttery smooth and runs flawless the day you purchase it.
    Sorry, but that's not been my experience. And again, do a search for 'iPhone 5 lag' and you'll see I'm not alone. I agree it's generally pretty good, but I don't find it this awesome, flawless, orgasmic experience that Apple fanboys claim either. (And I'm an Apple user going on 14 years now ... long before they were 'hip'). And I've seen more issues pop up since Cook took control.

You find more issues with your Z10 than I do. Mine can certainly lag as well, but I don't really find it any different than my 4S.
    Jaguarandine likes this.
    07-12-13 10:20 AM
    Sorry, but that's not been my experience. And again, do a search for 'iPhone 5 lag' and you'll see I'm not alone. I agree it's generally pretty good, but I don't find it this awesome, flawless, orgasmic experience that Apple fanboys claim either. (And I'm an Apple user going on 14 years now ... long before they were 'hip'). And I've seen more issues pop up since Cook took control.

You find more issues with your Z10 than I do. Mine can certainly lag as well, but I don't really find it any different than my 4S.

Good, keep it going, I just want my faith in BBRY and my Z10 back. The last couple days since the quarterly results and the AGM (and now with this rumored crappy A10) beside the 'great' news coming out of the Windows Phone corner really fed me up.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    07-12-13 10:26 AM
    Yeah. S Stripe OLED. That should make for a sharp image. Much better image than pentile.
    Have no idea what you are talking about!
    07-12-13 10:43 AM
    Actually, I don't think anyone knows how many active users there are. They know how many iOS devices have ever been shipped, but obviously, not all are in use. It's huge and the point remains that you made. Just always wondered this. When Tim Cook crows, "We've sold 400 million iOS devices" to brag to app developers about the size of the market, I always want to ask, "how much of that is addressable right now (meaning, how many distinct users are there of those devices?)"
    It's increased to 600 million iOS devices sold (93% are running iOS 6).
    500 million iTunes accounts (with credit cards)
    Extrapolate what you will.

It does not always run buttery smooth. Why do people keep spouting this nonsense?! My iPod touch is the laggiest fracken device in my house. My iPhone 4S doesn't always respond to button or link presses without a delay. It sometimes jerks going between the search screen and the home screen. And it certainly isn't "buttery smooth" compared to my Z10. The iPhone 5 might be a different story, but the three iOS devices I have are most definitely not always. And definitely not where I see them being smoother than my Z10.
    The majority disagree with you.

600 million iOS vs 3.7 million bb10

Apple will release thier quarterly results next week :

Q1 13
    37.4 million iPhone vs 660,000 bb10 & 5 mill
    19.5 million iPads Vs 370,000

Q2 13
    July 23 Vs. 2.75 bb10 & 4.1 mill legacy
    Vs 100,000 playbooks

To the populace apple's iPhone is "buttery smooth".
    The iPhone 5 is smoother than the bb z10.

What kind of iPod touch do you have?
    07-12-13 11:41 AM
    Have no idea what you are talking about!
    It's the arrangement of the OLEDs.

I'm Disappointed ( BGR reveals specs for the Z30)-130318_amoled1.jpg

The S-Stripe is formed with the same size of three organic colors-Red, Green and Blue- in order to realize one pixel where the conventional stripe and the pentile patterns are formed with two pixels-RGB &RGB or with the different sizes of subpixels-RGBG. In case of S-Stripe, each Red, Green and Blue subpixel represent same size in order to form a pixel. The industry thinks that the S-Stripe could reach high resolution for AMOLED.
    07-12-13 12:00 PM
    I extrapolate that Apple has a huge user base, but that Tim Cook's stats are thrown out to the audience and misinterpreted. :-)

Apple selling 600 million iOS devices to date does not mean 600 million of them are in use. My buddy's wife has owned several iPhones, iPods and iPads (some of which met their accidental end due to accident or her kids, some were chucked in a drawer).

Nor does this mean 93% of 600 million people in the world are running iOS 6. It means Apple has a wicked upgrade rate on active devices still in use that support iOS 6.

And while they may very well have 500 million iTunes accounts ever made by way of anyone who has ever owned an iPod, iPhone, iPad, how many are actively in use? My GF hates giving her card online anywhere but thought she had to in order to set up her phone. Later she learned you could do the trick with an iTunes card, but it wasn't inherently obvious. Never in her life has she bought an app, a book or music. I suspect she never will either.

The point is not to debate that Apple is humungous, loved and has CRM and loyalty and an upgrade rate anyone would die for. Only that people take Tim Cook's stats out of context and interpret them in ways that aren't true.

As for the other stuff about people disagreeing with me, that's not really my point. I highly doubt people are picking up devices and getting all hot and bothered about the speed of the iPhone and grimacing about the allegedly arthritic turtle performance of the Z10. ;-) . BlackBerry 10 is pretty quick. I would imagine the concern is more around the apps that the orgasmically smooth iPhone experience ... that I have not consistently scene the way fanboys tell me will rock my world and never lag. It generally works well but is not foolproof. I'm not some BlackBerry fanboy here ... I have likely more Apple devices in my house (two MacBooks, two Apple TVs, iPad, Ipod, iPhone) than many)
    07-12-13 12:18 PM
    I thought they had said the Z10 would be good for the next 10 years.............I guess the platform
    No - BlackBerry 10, not the Z10. That will be gone in 18 months with something else in its place.
    07-12-13 12:24 PM
    It's the arrangement of the OLEDs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130318_AMOLED1.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	181898
    Does not really matter, all OLED screen colors are horrible. They are ALWAYS oversaturated and ALWAYS incorrect eg Samsung phones usually having some heavy yellow-ish overcast on everything.

On a phone I MUCH-MUCH prefer the latest-gen LCD tech eg Sony's latest iteration of their LCD panel-tech called Triluminos (successor of their older SuperLCD) over any OLED I've seen so far: it's a combination of quantum dots film and blue LED backlight, resulting in ~50% wider gamut, more precise colors and excellent brightness.
    07-12-13 01:07 PM
    Does not really matter, all OLED screen colors are horrible. They are ALWAYS oversaturated and ALWAYS incorrect eg Samsung phones usually having some heavy yellow-ish overcast on everything.

On a phone I MUCH-MUCH prefer the latest-gen LCD tech eg Sony's latest iteration of their LCD panel-tech called Triluminos (successor of their older SuperLCD) over any OLED I've seen so far: it's a combination of quantum dots film and blue LED backlight, resulting in ~50% wider gamut, more precise colors and excellent brightness.
    This is meaningless. How can color be both accurate and have a 50% wider color gamut?

There are standards for color accuracy on diaplays but no one takes the time to measure them to determine how the display conforms to the standards. Any display can be calibrated at the factory to have color that measures accurately. Sometimes there are other considerations at work. You can't eyeball a display and determine how accurate it is. You have to measure it.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 01:15 PM

The majority disagree with you.

600 million iOS vs 3.7 million bb10

Apple will release thier quarterly results next week :

Q1 13
    37.4 million iPhone vs 660,000 bb10 & 5 mill
    19.5 million iPads Vs 370,000

Q2 13
    July 23 Vs. 2.75 bb10 & 4.1 mill legacy
    Vs 100,000 playbooks

To the populace apple's iPhone is "buttery smooth".
    The iPhone 5 is smoother than the bb z10.

What kind of iPod touch do you have?
    What do sales results have to do with which device is "smoother"? All that shows is popularity. The iPhone is hugely popular and has had 5 years to get to where it is now. BB10 is a new platform that is still growing and has the disadvantage of having heavy negative perception from the previous platform and all their blunders.

The Z10 is very smooth. Much more consistently smooth than my PlayBook. My wife's iPhone 4 (now a hand-me-down for my son) is usually smooth, but not always. Honestly, I think both are sufficiently smooth. It isn't a lack of smoothness that is negatively impacting BB10's sales - it is a new platform that will take time to grow and develop. I love my Z10 and the interface in my opinion is far superior to iOS (at least iOS 6 and lower, haven't played with iOS 7).
    07-12-13 01:30 PM
    This is meaningless. How can color be both accurate and have a 50% wider color gamut?
    Mmm... come again? Do you understand what color gamut means?
    FYI 50% wider is compared to its previous iteration, keep in mind. Nevertheless wider gamut only tells you about the range of colors it supposed to be able to show, it will tell you nothing about the color reproduction quality of the screen eg whether the maximum red is maximum red or it has a measurable yellow overcast...

There are standards for color accuracy on diaplays but no one takes the time to measure them to determine how the display conforms to the standards. Any display can be calibrated at the factory to have color that measures accurately. Sometimes there are other considerations at work. You can't eyeball a display and determine how accurate it is. You have to measure it.

Posted via CB10
    I work for a visualization firm, we do calibrate our displays regularly, I can easyli eyeball when one is off but that's off topic.

Look at any OLED Samsung phone and put it next to a calibrated device, load the same test picture on both and you will cry.
    Now take an LCD-based high-end phone and put it next to the same calibrated display, load the same test picture on both and you will see a lot less deviation (still not perfect but MUCH closer.).
    Last edited by szlevi; 07-12-13 at 03:43 PM.
    07-12-13 02:34 PM

Check out the in-depth analysis of the S4's screen. It's getting better every year. There is a mode in which colours are quite accurate and you can still keep the deep blacks and battery savings opportunities.

Galaxy S4 Display Technology Shoot-Out
    07-12-13 02:39 PM
    Yeah, because

- it's built and designed like jewelry (the Z10 and likely the A10 not)
    - it has the biggest number of apps (BB10 not)
    - it has the best quality apps (BB10 not)
    - every new must-have-app launches on iOS first (not on BB10)
    - it has loads and loads and loads of other content, too (BB10 not)
    - it has a boatload of available accessoires (BB10 not)
    - it has a seamless integration to many other hardware devices (hardware ecosystem) (BB10 not).
    - it still punishes Android flagships in some GPU benchmarks (BB10 not)

Heins: "We're not in the specs race"
    Cook: "Well, we aren't for sure, but you definitely, Sir."
    Very convincing. Someone please twit this to BBRY.
    07-12-13 03:12 PM
    What do sales results have to do with which device is "smoother"? All that shows is popularity. The iPhone is hugely popular and has had 5 years to get to where it is now. BB10 is a new platform that is still growing and has the disadvantage of having heavy negative perception from the previous platform and all their blunders.

The Z10 is very smooth. Much more consistently smooth than my PlayBook. My wife's iPhone 4 (now a hand-me-down for my son) is usually smooth, but not always. Honestly, I think both are sufficiently smooth. It isn't a lack of smoothness that is negatively impacting BB10's sales - it is a new platform that will take time to grow and develop. I love my Z10 and the interface in my opinion is far superior to iOS (at least iOS 6 and lower, haven't played with iOS 7).
    Agree, it's the ecosystem.

To achieve the goal to have a much larger ecosystem, you need partners. To get partners is like to get dates. You need to somehow continuously impress other people. BB10 is impressive but now you need something new to continuously impress everyone... maybe HW specs?

HTC, Samsung and even Huawei have been doing that for years, consistently! It works!
    07-12-13 03:21 PM
    Check out the in-depth analysis of the S4's screen. It's getting better every year. There is a mode in which colours are quite accurate and you can still keep the deep blacks and battery savings opportunities.

Galaxy S4 Display Technology Shoot-Out
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are advancing too but today I would take the best LCD screen over the best OLED screen any day.
    07-12-13 03:42 PM
    Sorry I won't be buying another device that only has a.8 inch larger screen but the same CPU, memory, etc. unless BBRY plans to sell them for half the price of a the Z10,
    07-12-13 03:46 PM
    <Opens eyes wide open>Uhhh... come again?
    Do you even understand what color gamut means for a screen?
    FYI 50% wider is compared to its previous iteration, keep in mind. Nevertheless wider gamut only tells you about the range of colors it supposed to be able to show, it will tell you nothing about the color reproduction quality of the screen eg whether the maximum red is maximum red or it has a measurable yellow overcast...

I work for a visualization firm, we do calibrate our displays regularly, I can easyli eyeball when one is off but that's off topic.

Look at any OLED Samsung phone and put it next to a calibrated device, load the same test picture on both and you will cry.
    Now take an LCD-based high-end phone and put it next to the same calibrated display, load the same test picture on both and you will see a lot less deviation (still not perfect but MUCH closer.).
    You, and the people who intimately care about such things, constitute perhaps 0.0001% of the smartphone market.

Most people who see a Samsung Super AMOLED screen think that, instead of being oversaturated, the colors "pop" and are "vibrant."

Those who know what oversaturation is (and even those who don't) and don't like it have an easy recourse on their Galaxy: change the stock "Dynamic" in the Display settings to either "Natural" or "Movie." Those who were crying will be more than happy. Some -- say, 0.0001% -- will never be happy.
    07-12-13 03:49 PM
    You're not getting a 1080p screen.

• 5" OLED/HD/WXVGA, 1280X720, 24 bit color, S Stripe Pixel Arrangement, 295PPI
    • BlackBerry OS 10.2
    • 8MP Rear Camera with Flash, 5X 2MP Front Camera
    • MicoUSB, HDMI
    • 2800mAh Battery
    • 802.1b/g/n - HotSpot
    • NFC/DLNA/MicroSIM

And that's all I'm willing to give up... right now... cause there's different versions.
    Sooo. have u personally met this phone? If soo..... can u confirm, at least, that the image that leaked is ACTUALLY what the A10 looks like?
    07-12-13 04:30 PM
372 ... 89101112 ...