The leaked spec sheet for the bb10 "aristo" model is all over the Internet. This phone is a beast. All rumors so far point to it NOT being available alongside the launch devices, but around mid-2013. If that's the case, every single one of us who buy a bb10 London phone will be witness to another phone that dwarfs it in comparison just a mere few months of already committing to a purchase. That will make me freaking angry as he11 to say the least. Shenanigans like that make a $350 nexus 4 awful tempting.
    Just assumptions at this stage. I think you need to make a decision on launch or shortly there after, as I suspect more information will come forth. This is the crux of technology. Its the case with TV's phones, stereos ....etc, something new is always around the corner. If the L-series is on par or better then anything at launch, you will have the latest and greatest anyway. You could always, trade up when/if Aristo comes....although I suspect it will be closer to 9-12 months after the first phones.
    12-09-12 10:19 AM
    The Aristo is likely going to be RIM's first device in their "Use your phone as your desktop" proposition for business. The chip in the leak is low availability right now which means higher costs to phone makers who use it. At $599 for the DROID DNA, HTC isn't probably making very much per unit, but HTC is also in desperate times with the phone business at the moment. Their is no guarantees that this device will reach market ever, much less in September. If the L has strong US sales then they may hold off on the A till closer to the holidays, or 2014. RIM will want to wait until they can sell the device while making enough per unit profit too before releasing it.
    12-09-12 10:39 AM
    So now it's a disguised troll thread right? Or better yet I'm a paid shill! Tin foil hats for everyone, let's have a party! Someone invite Jesse Ventura!
    Oh give it a rest with your martyr complex, you dredge up some leaked specs from months ago that were never confirmed as being an actual device and you invent some conspiracy from Rim to rip people off by holding back this device to help sales of their actual devices and then wonder why people doubt the intentions behind this thread.
    grover5, raysai, Rello and 7 others like this.
    12-09-12 11:03 AM
    I'm sorry to call people names on the forum, but the OP is acting like a child. You can buy the Nexus 4, but you will simply go on android central with the same complaints. "Google is trying to rip me off! How could they sell me a phone without LTE or expandable memory! GRRRR!!!"

RIM is in a tough position where they really need to come out with a device that they deem will bring the company back. Most of us on here are on the same boat as you are, so just relax. Although I REALLYYYY want the Aristo, I really would rather upgrade my 9930 for now, and then a year and half or 2 years from now when I'm up for another upgrade I can simply get the Aristo 2 as that should be out by then.

Someone posted earlier that the Aristo was supposed to come out in June with the original L coming out in Oct. I would agree with that and think that there is no way RIM has enough time to get this device out by June. It will most likely come out in time to rival the iPhone 6, which I think is a brilliant strategy.

In Thor I Trust.
    bluetroll, DJM626 and 00stryder like this.
    12-09-12 11:27 AM
    The release date for the device formerly leaked as Aristo is clearly going to be no earlier than next holiday season and conceivably if they do well enough with the bb10 launch they might keep it at a year after L-series and do some kind of special offer or more present-friendly model to drive sales during the holiday period.

I will bet any money that if we do see any new device in the mid summer to back to school kind of timeframe it will be a cheaper model than either of the launch devices not a high-end premium model.
    12-09-12 11:33 AM
    The odds are that we will never see a device with exactly those specs and definitely won't see one in mid 2013 for the simple reason that it would harm sales of the existing models and annoy people that already bought those models by that point, neither of which are things that Rim would do at this time since they aren't in a strong position to risk pissing off their customers like Apple did with the two ipads this year.

If you actually stop and look at those specs again, they don't really work now for their original purpose and were probably done based on bb10 having been meant to be out by now and an update in 9 or so months being fine. In that larger display end of the market the expectation is now for a 5" 1080p display and indeed you would need to move up to that level before you reached the point where a quad-core was actually required over the dualcore that is already happily powering a 720p display in the l-series.

Out of the other specs, most of that will actually be in the l-series other than the battery size which is obviously a trade-off with the lack of it being removable along with the memory which we are assuming is going to be 1gig like the dev devices, but who knows with those being less focused on multitasking than a real device maybe we will get 2gig in the l-series as well.

It's funny how the best post on this thread goes ignored. The OP is right, by the way. For those of us who don't want to go through the process of buying two phones in 5 months (and we're the majority), this kinda sucks. And one year (iPhone 4 to 5) is way different than 4 months - especially factoring in the fact that Apple can do whatever it wants and still be successful for probably the next 10 years.. and that anything Blackberry does that can be perceived as annoying WILL be perceived as annoying by the media, consumers, etc.
    12-09-12 11:52 AM
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_2011.svg.png

couple decades ago, my grandfather was going to buy a computer, but held off because he heard intel was going go double the speed of its processor in 18months... and he's still waiting. those bastards at intel just wont let up!

oh man! and they even have a roadmap showing their processors doubling ever 18 months all the way through 2017! 2018! that's the year!
    12-09-12 04:18 PM
    It's funny how the best post on this thread goes ignored. The OP is right, by the way. For those of us who don't want to go through the process of buying two phones in 5 months (and we're the majority), this kinda sucks. And one year (iPhone 4 to 5) is way different than 4 months - especially factoring in the fact that Apple can do whatever it wants and still be successful for probably the next 10 years.. and that anything Blackberry does that can be perceived as annoying WILL be perceived as annoying by the media, consumers, etc.
    They need to put out a phone with BB10 sorry it cant be the Aristo, im guessing the l series will work fine so i will stick with that until next upgrade comes. The others switching from another platform or getting their first smartphone can get that in the later months when they see BB10 has been proven to be a great OS, instead of picking up an android device or the next iphone.
    12-09-12 04:29 PM
    The release date for the device formerly leaked as Aristo is clearly going to be no earlier than next holiday season and conceivably if they do well enough with the bb10 launch they might keep it at a year after L-series and do some kind of special offer or more present-friendly model to drive sales during the holiday period.

I will bet any money that if we do see any new device in the mid summer to back to school kind of timeframe it will be a cheaper model than either of the launch devices not a high-end premium model.
    A timetable like that wouldn't be a bad idea, and wouldn't bother me like releasing a super high end bb10 just 4 months after London would. I hope your prediction is the way it pans out
    12-09-12 05:32 PM
    ok yes, I possibly might make enough selling the London to pay back the early hardware upgrade penalty or close to it. More likely take a loss though, because I doubt the resale value on BB's is going to be high like they are on iPhones. But you're wrong about it running better. The newest version of Android runs fast, and I mean really fast, on dual core phones, let alone quad. So that old mantra that gets tossed around on crackberry about Android lag etc is no longer an effective argument against Jelly Bean android phones. I've owned android for 2 years, and I also own a PB so I'm well aware of the difference and know that OS efficiency > specs, so your guess at what I'm assuming is wrong. It's not JUST about specs though. If Aristo is going to be a higher end phone than London you can be assured it will also have other features the London won't besides just CPU and RAM.

Just remember this while you're being so forgiving of RIM - Android with v4.2 can now run as fast as BB10 can on equal CPU's and RAM, but they have a quad core with 2GB RAM available right now anyway, not end of 2013, and it's only $350. But I'm the bad guy for questioning a delay on Aristo, do I have that right? Uh huh.

Please.
    I will be terribly upset if bb10 is comparative to android 4.2. You are absolutely wrong in saying it runs fast as every time I use a galaxy s3 I hate the phone within a week because it is too slow. I've had 3 different ones yet I keep going back to my os7 bold. Android is still a resource hog and does not run like it should with the specs it has. I am not an android fan because of that. Bb10 seems to already be smoother on beta software than android 4.2 with less specs than the top android phones.
    12-09-12 07:14 PM
    How many upper shelf Android devices does Samsung make in a given year? 3, 5?

That works for them, making 1 works for Apple. Not to bash on BB too hard but...If they have a sufficient device out in Feb, I wouldn't wait for "the next best thing". It might be a while.
    As far as how many "upper shelf" Android devices put out by Samsung in a year, that's actually only 2 - The Galaxy S and Note (not counting the 2 Nexus devices made by Samsung just because it seems like Google draws a manufacturer out of a hat for those). Mid and lower range Sammy Android phones, however, are plentiful. In the past it might've seemed like Samsung was putting out a lot of high end Android phones because up until the 3, the Galaxy S phones all had different names on the different carriers (Hercules, Skyrocket, and Epic 4G Touch for the SGS2, and Vibrant, Fascinate, Captivate, and Epic for the original Galaxy S).

And I completely agree about it taking awhile for the "next best thing" from RIM. For the past few devices we've heard the leaks at least a year before the devices were actually released. It was nearly two years for the 99xx for crying out loud. Right now RIM is busy perfecting the L and N series devices. They know these will need to be flawless. Once they get these out to the masses with no problems, THEN they can start working on the Aristo.
    bluetroll, howarmat and Cesare21 like this.
    12-09-12 07:51 PM
    I will be terribly upset if bb10 is comparative to android 4.2. You are absolutely wrong in saying it runs fast as every time I use a galaxy s3 I hate the phone within a week because it is too slow. I've had 3 different ones yet I keep going back to my os7 bold. Android is still a resource hog and does not run like it should with the specs it has. I am not an android fan because of that. Bb10 seems to already be smoother on beta software than android 4.2 with less specs than the top android phones.
    You are one lucky dude to be the only one to have the official 4.2 update for the gs3!
    http://www.autoomobile.com/news/sams...-bean/1009432/
    Or are you running cm10? The CyanogenMod 10.1 custom ROM is still an experimental build and may harbour a few untested bugs and broken features. I've seen many reports that it's pretty quirky
    12-09-12 08:04 PM
    Just remember this while you're being so forgiving of RIM - Android with v4.2 can now run as fast as BB10 can on equal CPU's and RAM, but they have a quad core with 2GB RAM available right now anyway, not end of 2013, and it's only $350. But I'm the bad guy for questioning a delay on Aristo, do I have that right? Uh huh.

Please.
    For me to get that phone, i'd have to order it from the company and have it shipped to me. i've never even seen the phone, and it would cost much more from my carrier either way, as they sell the 9900 for $680.
    12-09-12 09:41 PM
    If you wait for the Aristo, then by the time it's ready to launch, there will already be the next thing. It's a perpetual cycle in the tech world that can't be helped. The next best things is always around the corner.

For the regular masses, they only know BlackBerry 10 is coming out and don't even know the names of the devices. Those that want will buy it when it releases and focus on using that phone. They won't get caught up into the next thing because they already have what they need.
    12-09-12 09:59 PM
    You are one lucky dude to be the only one to have the official 4.2 update for the gs3!
    Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.2 Update Is A Shoe-In | Autoomobile
    Or are you running cm10? The CyanogenMod 10.1 custom ROM is still an experimental build and may harbour a few untested bugs and broken features. I've seen many reports that it's pretty quirky
    I had it on my one of my gs3's and then I unrooted it and used it stock. Both are just slow. Android in general is slow and lags under my usage (nothing crazy) and they have the best specs. On top of that, android always takes so many steps to get little things done its just frustrating. That's what I'm hoping bb10 fixes. Specs are less important if the software runs smooth and fast. If they can do that I'm not too worried about what comes next
    grover5 and anon(4018671) like this.
    12-09-12 10:11 PM
    I had it on my one of my gs3's and then I unrooted it and used it stock. Both are just slow. Android in general is slow and lags under my usage (nothing crazy) and they have the best specs. On top of that, android always takes so many steps to get little things done its just frustrating. That's what I'm hoping bb10 fixes. Specs are less important if the software runs smooth and fast. If they can do that I'm not too worried about what comes next
    Right, this is quite credible.
    12-09-12 10:31 PM
    Right, this is quite credible.
    It is his experience. He has been posting here for years and I have never seen him to be a liar. Have you?
    12-09-12 10:43 PM
    I Cannot understand this craze for the BB Aristo based on the leaked specs. Phones running this same Quad Core Krait SoC have been available for ages. Even the $299 nexus 4 has it!
    12-09-12 10:51 PM

Please.
    In your own words, BB10 seems to superior to Android 4.2 - you are comparing an OS already available to an OS not yet released. And what delay are we talking about on the A series phone? It's release has not been announced yet.
    12-09-12 11:59 PM
    i have the 9900, excellent but sh!t camera without auto focus - anything with auto focus will be better
    12-10-12 12:37 AM
    i have the 9900, excellent but sh!t camera without auto focus - anything with auto focus will be better
    You have NFC, my 9810 doesn't have NFC but an autofocus camera.
    12-10-12 12:47 AM
    Shenanigans? No, I think you mean, "a business model like Apple."
    12-10-12 12:49 AM
    It is his experience. He has been posting here for years and I have never seen him to be a liar. Have you?
    CM10.1 isn't stable and official stock 4.2 is fast. Fast as in: If everyone says BB10 is fast, you guys would be the first in line with torches and pitchforks if someone told you they found it slow. Well guess what? Everyone says 4.2 is fast. But the same doesnt apply now right? Ah. I see.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    12-10-12 01:13 AM
    Its simple. Buy an L series.. sell it on craigslist when the Aristo comes out.
    12-10-12 01:36 AM
    If you actually stop and look at those specs again, they don't really work now for their original purpose and were probably done based on bb10 having been meant to be out by now and an update in 9 or so months being fine. In that larger display end of the market the expectation is now for a 5" 1080p display and indeed you would need to move up to that level before you reached the point where a quad-core was actually required over the dualcore that is already happily powering a 720p display in the l-series.
    You're confusing CPU with GPU. There are already multiple phones out in the market that are already capable of displaying 1080p through external screens. The US Samsung S3 can display 1080p through HDMI, and the US S3 is dual core. iPhone 4S is capable of outputting 1080p. There are 2 generations of iPads with dual core CPU's that are capable of much higher resolution than 1080p. The limiting factor is the screen, not the CPU, or even the GPU in some cases.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 12-10-12 at 04:16 AM.
    12-10-12 03:59 AM
91 1234