We should all boycott carriers that do not push Blackberry!

Blackberry is the finest OS ever! I have all the apps I need. Blackberry is for the prosumers. These sales reps who are not actively selling blackberry have a secret agenda that is being funded by the US gov.
    Please tell me your joking... Is the US government also funding the rest of the world in not selling blackberry? Maybe they are paying blackberry not to sell blackberry? Jeez...
    04-07-14 04:24 PM
    BBRY should focus in other markets, US market is gone, they won't sale more phones through carriers, for what I see there is no carrier willing to invest in a BB campaign to help them push device sales, BBRY must stick to sale as cheap as they can in shopblackberry.com direct in the US... now put all the efforts with the Z3 in developing markets, get the numbers up, US market is mature most of the people already have a smartphone and the most probable thing they will stick with it (iphone, android), but in developing countries there are thousands of people every day getting their first smartphone now and in this battle cheap Nokia Lumias are coming very hard with sub US$ 200 phones, the Z3 must get there now and fast.
    04-07-14 04:54 PM
    Please tell me your joking... Is the US government also funding the rest of the world in not selling blackberry? Maybe they are paying blackberry not to sell blackberry? Jeez...
    Sadly, no. He and so many others are not kidding with this madness.
    04-07-14 04:58 PM
    People in the USA can't think for themselves.

Posted via CB10
    I wonder, did you feel the same way about "the people in the USA" when they were responsible for making BlackBerry the king of the smartphone market for many years?

Nah, they were thinking for themselves back then. Am I right?
    techvisor likes this.
    04-07-14 05:00 PM
    I would like to thank everyone for their comments, and also respond to certain entries.

First, the video was made at a Verizion Store owned by Cellular Sales, 6513 Kingston Pike, Suite 106, Knoxville, TN 37919. "VERIZION" is emblazoned across the front of the building.

Florida is a "two party state" in regard to recording of communications when there is a reasonable expectation of privacy by the parties. One would not expect to have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the open public area of a retail store. If the sales associate had taken me to a back office and closed the door, it would have been illegal for me to record her communication without her knowledge.

I do "have a life" and don't have "a lot of time on my hands". I own a busy restaurant and a real estate investment company. To my chagrin, I also own stock in BBRY that I paid $75K for, and is now worth less than $40K. A significant portion of my life concerns BBRY going to hell, and my investigation was justified.

I had read that BB was not being actively offered in cellular phone retail stores, and wanted to check it out for myself. What a horror I found!

I have contacted BB investor relations and furnished them with a link to the video.

Would I have bought a Z30 that day? No, I detest touch screens of any kind, and track pads on laptops. The primary reason I use Thinkpad laptops is for its inclusion of a Trackpoint nub embedded in the keyboard. I am anxiously awaiting the Q20. In the meantime, my BoostMobile Curve 9310 serves me well. If the curve had a larger screen, and front facing camera, I would not feel a need to upgrade at all.

One more thing: Don't be so quick to kill the messenger.
    Omnitech likes this.
    04-07-14 05:53 PM
    I went to Verizon yesterday to upgrade to the z30. Of course they didn't have any in stock. They tried to talk me out of it bit it didn't work. I had them order one and I will be getting it Tuesday.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    So stupid. I had all types of phones. By far BlackBerry wins in my book. One catch everyone is all about apps not business devices. So apple and Google will always win however companies win who have nitches. BlackBerry has a nitch and will always win people over. Quick eg. I had my friend download bbm and he has a iphone. Liked the interface better then imessage.

Guess my device. "It has keys"
    04-07-14 06:36 PM
    As far as the Op goes, it might not be illegal in FL but it is downright creepy. It's like the guy who shot upskirt videos in MA and got away with it because the law technically did not ban it.
    The store has surveillance cameras. There is nothing wrong with the customer recording instead.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 07:59 PM
    A female (and males who wear skirts) have a reasonable expectation of privacy under their attire. In Florida, the ancient wire tap statutes have been extended to private conversations between two or more individuals. Recently, recording of images has been addressed for areas where there is an expectation of privacy, like a dressing room; the so called "video voyeur laws". Again, it is perfectly legal to record audio and video in public places where there is no expectation of privacy. I apologize for going off topic. Free speech and BB possibly going out of business are two pet concerns of mine.
    androidphanatic likes this.
    04-07-14 08:12 PM
    First, great video.
    Second, I really don't understand why there are some bashing this guy for making a video of what is a "common complaint " around here. It is great that he made his complaint visual.
    Third, I am frustrated as well. Yes, we all know that bb10 phones are the bestest out there. I like how we all can call out the faults and then defend the faults.
    Blackberry is making changes to stay alive. The Foxconn deal, a lower costing z3 on its way, the 10.2.1. All for what? People don't even know they exist.
    Maybe I am wrong, but most people like to have things right now. It's the way society is. So when they go buy a phone and its not there what does that do? A loyal customer would wait but what about someone on an impulse?
    I don't know if any of you have done sales. But when you get that person hyped up you want to capitalize on their EMOTIONS! But if you give them time to cool down then go talk or listen to influencers (youtube, tech blogs, and most importantly FRIENDS) they will not want a blackberry and get what is there for them.
    Now they don't have them at the store, heck even shop BlackBerry is on back order. Does blackberry only make what they can sell in order not to make to many and not sell ( just like independent phone stores)?
    I'm kind of done blaming the carriers for lack of sales. I've seen one commercial for this phone One ******* commercial.
    I need a smoke break.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 10:02 PM
    Honestly, I'm guessing most of us who have gone to a retail store looking for BlackBerry lately have experienced something like this, or worse.

The Verizon people in this video were fine. Can't blame them for not carrying a phone that doesn't sell well. They offered to order it and didn't actively dissuade you from buying it.

I've been to Bell stores in Canada where they have told me BlackBerry 10 is awful, where they tried to convince me to get something else.

BlackBerry is a niche player right now and hopefully with a good showing from the Z3 and discounting on the Z10, people are introduced to BlackBerry 10 and like it.

Big box retailers have Z10's going for $199 here ($180ish US) and they have been selling quickly. Get some into people's hands and that's all BlackBerry can do at this point.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    04-07-14 10:24 PM
    Does blackberry only make what they can sell in order not to make to many and not sell ( just like independent phone stores)?
    Ding, ding, ding, ding . . .
    04-07-14 10:47 PM
    It's the same almost everywhere. I'm always asking for BlackBerry phones, the z30 is almost never in stock, the z10 and q10 are available, but not the 30. Odd.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 11:07 PM
    It's the same almost everywhere. I'm always asking for BlackBerry phones, the z30 is almost never in stock, the z10 and q10 are available, but not the 30. Odd.

Posted via CB10
    That is because BlackBerry produced way too many of the Z10 and Q10 and the carriers ordered way too many of those same phones. Back then, BB10 was expected to sell much better than it actually did, by the time the Z30 rolled around, everyone had figured out that it wasn't going to fly off of shelves. So BlackBerry and Verizon both made wise decisions and made/ordered far fewer units.

What is the point of stock a device that they know won't sell very well? People here should be thankful Verizon is even allowing people to order the Z30, because at this point it is obvious that Verizon would do just fine not offering the phone at all. Also, Verizon could have been like all of the other US carriers and not have wasted their time with the device at all. There is a reason why it is exclusive to Verizon, and that is because no other carrier wanted to stock a phone that they knew wouldn't sell well.
    04-07-14 11:38 PM
    A female (and males who wear skirts) have a reasonable expectation of privacy under their attire. In Florida, the ancient wire tap statutes have been extended to private conversations between two or more individuals. Recently, recording of images has been addressed for areas where there is an expectation of privacy, like a dressing room; the so called "video voyeur laws". Again, it is perfectly legal to record audio and video in public places where there is no expectation of privacy. I apologize for going off topic. Free speech and BB possibly going out of business are two pet concerns of mine.
    but you also published your video (here) and she was the subject of the video and was speaking. I'm away from home right now and don't have my photographers legal handbook handy but usually if you are going to publish something you get a signed model release or something equivalent. Why else do shows like COPS blur out some faces? because they could be heard speaking on the broadcast video and didn't sign a release.

I'm not really clear on the law, frankly, but something seems a bit off about what you did.

also it does seem (as you say) that the store you chose was not a company store but was instead an authorized retailer. they could stock nothing but sky blue iPhones and they would be fine.
    randall2580 likes this.
    04-08-14 12:45 AM
    It's bad enough to record it but to post it in the net is just wrong imo. To the guy above justifying it because the store has surveillance well I doubt it has audio, I doubt it zooms in on people talking and I doubt any of the video gets uploaded to the net. I would expect security footage to be used for just that.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 07:40 AM
    It's bad enough to record it but to post it in the net is just wrong imo. To the guy above justifying it because the store has surveillance well I doubt it has audio, I doubt it zooms in on people talking and I doubt any of the video gets uploaded to the net. I would expect security footage to be used for just that.

Posted via CB10
    Lots of security has audio now, and the cameras can be placed anywhere (and include pan/tilt/zoom).

And TONS of security footage is uploaded to the Internet and shown on TV. There are entire shows dedicated to it!

Like I've said there is no reasonable expectation of privacy when you know you are being recorded. You can record right back.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 07:56 AM
    Wow, not only did the OP film those people at work without their knowledge and upload it to the internet, he even went ahead and gave everyone the address of where they work. So maybe if some creep likes what he sees, he can head on down to that Verizon store and harass her at work.

No offense, but you're a creep OP and you should be ashamed of yourself. I'm glad it wasn't any of my daughters that you done this to.
    04-08-14 08:17 AM
    Lots of security has audio now, and the cameras can be placed anywhere (and include pan/tilt/zoom).

And TONS of security footage is uploaded to the Internet and shown on TV. There are entire shows dedicated to it!

Like I've said there is no reasonable expectation of privacy when you know you are being recorded. You can record right back.

Posted via CB10
    So you are saying it's ok to pinpoint employees and "secretly" record right back up close and with audio then post it on the net? Would it annoy you if somebody did that to you or a family member then also added where you/ they work?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 08:41 AM
    The phone is not selling because they don't wanna sell it. It's not because people don't want it.

Posted via my Zee Zed 10
    BlueRaven25 likes this.
    04-08-14 08:53 AM
    As far as the Op goes, it might not be illegal in FL but it is downright creepy. It's like the guy who shot upskirt videos in MA and got away with it because the law technically did not ban it.

It's a person in a public place discussing smartphones, not a surreptitious picture of someone's genitalia.

Talk about hyperbole.

I Tried to buy a Z30 at Verizon Yesterday-triple_facepalm.png
    04-08-14 02:55 PM
    The phone is not selling because they don't wanna sell it. It's not because people don't want it.

Posted via my Zee Zed 10
    It's a chicken and egg problem.

If people wanted it, they would sell it. If they had it in store, people might want it. Right now they don't have it in store because it is not in demand. With stores having to manage inventory carefully, you're not going to carry hundreds of dollars of extra stock because someone may wander in once a week or less asking for it. If someone does come in, and a chunk of those just take something else you have in stock, what have you really lost?

Thinking anything else is being blind to reality.

Anyone who wants a Z30 can get one if they can afford the price. Even that Verizon store offered to order one online for the OP.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 03:55 PM
    So you are saying it's ok to pinpoint employees and "secretly" record right back up close and with audio then post it on the net? Would it annoy you if somebody did that to you or a family member then also added where you/ they work?

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is not being done without knowledge. Those employees know they are being recorded at all times.

It wouldn't annoy me. If I'm working in PUBLIC retail then I have no problem with any customer or person coming in, recording their encounter (just like our cameras record anyway), and posting the recording online (we have the right to post our recordings).

I don't have an issue with anyone posting my work address either. If I work in a place accessible to the public and I am serving the public then it is public knowledge (and good for me, more customers in the door).

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 04:03 PM
    So your cameras record up close with audio? I doubt it.... In my experience any store that has "security" cameras set up there is a sign right on the front door stating this. You my friend are taking it to a new level. Why didn't you hold up the phone in their faces instead of hide it? What was the reason for hiding the camera?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 05:24 PM
    So your cameras record up close with audio? I doubt it.... In my experience any store that has "security" cameras set up there is a sign right on the front door stating this.

Haha, you must live a sheltered life, or live in a place with far more restrictions on surveillance than here in California, which is one of the most privacy-conscious states in the USA.

Because surveillance cameras are all over, and most of the time, there is NO sign warning of this, certainly not in a place that everyone would inevitably see.

I'm not a fan of it - in fact I'm a big opponent of it - but your claim that there are always signs advising of this - at least in the USA - is utterly false.

You should go visit the UK sometime - surveillance cameras everywhere. Reminds me of "The Prisoner" cult TV show from the 1960s.
    techvisor likes this.
    04-08-14 05:40 PM
    The people at the store seemed courteous

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 08:38 PM
97 1234