I got in on the $225 deal for a BlackBerry Z30. When the device arrived it looked new, but the box had clearly been opened and retaped. I wasn't sure what to make of that.

The physical condition of the device appears new to me, although maybe not "BRAND NEW" like I might've expected. Something just seemed a little bit off. No new phone smell. The mini-USB port also feels a little looser than I'd expect with a new phone.

So I installed Power Tools and it looks like my brand new Z30 is on its 276th battery cycle.
    BlackberryAtQuadra likes this.
    12-11-14 04:18 PM
    Get them to send you a new one. You paid for a new device and they sold it as new. Make them replace it.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 04:21 PM
    Has anyone tried 2 different battery cycle programs to see if they confirm each other? How accurate are those programs?
    12-11-14 04:36 PM
    Just did what I should have done in first place - research the battery cycle efficacy.

Apparently this does not work in BB10. The issue was reported as early as OS10.0. Check every few hours without plugging in, and you will see the cycle number continue to grow.
    12-11-14 04:55 PM
    Interesting. My count still shows 276 cycles, has been that way since I last charged it earlier today. More than a few hours ago.

I'm hopeful that the cycle count is inaccurate, but I still have a sneaking suspicion this is a refurbished phone. Will report back in a day or so.
    12-11-14 05:06 PM
    I got my new Z30 on December 1 from Digital River; just checked thru Battery Guru the number of Cycles the battery has been thru...
    906 cycles?

According to Battery Guru, under the ? (helpful info) it states this number can be inaccurate.
    This number is approximate, and counts up far more than it should...

I think Digital River sold me a refurbished phone...-img_20141211_160358.png

Post via my BlackBerry Z30!
    12-11-14 06:04 PM
    I don't think it's refurbished. Here is my Opinion. I just bought a White Passport right as they were released and my box was retaped as well. I was mad at first but the phone was still in plastic as my Black Passport came so who knows maybe a software update or something.?.?.?. But my point is there was no time to referb the device as it just was a day before I received it.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 06:40 PM
    I agree. But does it say the condition of the phones on the website or do we just assume new
    12-11-14 06:50 PM
    I bought mine from shop BlackBerry I assume it's new

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 07:11 PM
    I don't think it's refurbished. Another member mentioned that the tape is broken because they update the os. I received my z30 last week, seals were perfect, only one and not broken. I understand that you may be concerned but I doubt they would sell refurbished phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 07:30 PM
    That doesn't make sense that they will update the OS. Don't the phone checks for the latest updates when you first start it?

Oh... unless they weren't supported by American carriers?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 07:36 PM
    That doesn't make sense that they will update the OS. Don't the phone checks for the latest updates when you first start it?

Oh... unless they weren't supported by American carriers?

Posted via CB10
    I don't believe it fully, just stating what another poster said. Could be a possibility though, Z30 is one year old.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 07:40 PM
    Received my new Z30 on Monday this week and original seals were in tacked. And my usb port is quite loose. The HDMI port also has a loose fit.
    12-11-14 09:27 PM
    Come on guys....shop BlackBerry has always repacked and sold openbox returns as new....why are we trying to pretend like they are updating the os? The os version is printed on the box, find me one where the os version on the side of the box doesn't match the version a brand new phone is actually running. I have gotten accessories like this from shop BlackBerry in the past (holster, pocket pouch, etc). If you have ordered more than a few times from shop BlackBerry it is pretty likely you have experienced this at least once and it does suck

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 10:12 PM
    Dude mine came just like that too!! I love it too much to complain though!!

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 12:13 AM
    I got in on the $225 deal for a BlackBerry Z30. When the device arrived it looked new, but the box had clearly been opened and retaped. I wasn't sure what to make of that.

The physical condition of the device appears new to me, although maybe not "BRAND NEW" like I might've expected. Something just seemed a little bit off. No new phone smell. The mini-USB port also feels a little looser than I'd expect with a new phone.

So I installed Power Tools and it looks like my brand new Z30 is on its 276th battery cycle.
    Same here buddy....you are not alone. It is really easy to tell with the white phones versus the black ones. Mine was never that crisp, pure white as described....more like an off white. The back cover was new though. If my phone is not a refurb then it is definitely a factory second that someone returned. The silver chin has some sharp rough edges to it where my black one was nice and smooth. Plus there was tape or clear plastic paper coming out from under the screen. How else could they sell them for $225 then all of a sudden go back to $499? Sounds to me like they were getting rid of some old inventory.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 07:46 AM
    Just connect to sachesi and see how many times it's been refurbished

Posted via CB10
    peeknflow likes this.
    12-12-14 07:51 AM
    I also bought a $225 z30 and just tried Sirjes' suggestion by connecting to sachesi and next to "refurbished date" on the device information screen it said "never".

edit: mine also had the two pieces of tape on the box. I wonder, is there any way to figure out when the device was actually built?
    BionicKris likes this.
    12-12-14 09:57 AM
    I have no idea where Austin is from, however, if in Canada, for example, and it was shipped from USA (etc.) customs will very often open the box, have a peek, then tape it back up.
    12-12-14 10:33 AM
    I too received a white z30 with retaped box, one week ago today. Battery cycle on power tools says 788 and the manufacture date on the box is 220814. August 22/14. No way it could be charged that many times in less than 4 mos., but does make me wonder.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 03:36 PM
    I too received a white z30 with retaped box, one week ago today. Battery cycle on power tools says 788 and the manufacture date on the box is 220814. August 22/14. No way it could be charged that many times in less than 4 mos., but does make me wonder.

Posted via CB10
    Where does it show the date on the box?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 04:43 PM
    It could be a returned phone, I would have it changed just to be safe. I would never take a phone that seal is broken unless I purposely buy it second hand

Send from the amazing powers of the ? Z30
    12-12-14 04:59 PM
    Again, they don't have refurbished dates because they aren't refurbished. Just open box returns. Nothing is wrong with this except BlackBerry selling them like they are new

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 05:29 PM
    Here's the date of manufacture.
    I think Digital River sold me a refurbished phone...-img_20141213_140621.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 01:10 PM
    Here's the date of manufacture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141213_140621.jpg 
Views:	754 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	320532

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Mine says the same thing.

Are you sure that's the manufacturing date and not just some other random device number?

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 01:28 PM
34 12