Hi all,

I've posted a few times complaining about the dust in my Z30 rear camera lens. I've been hesitant to fix it, being too worried I would break something. But I made it to the end of my two year contract, and figured if I break something now, I would just get another phone. So I found a youtube guide and it worked well (except noting the wrong size of screwdriver than mine took). I only broke one small piece, which I believe was a plastic guide for the flash LED on the rear. Everything still works though. So my comments for others are: take the time to do things right, but make sure you do eventually do it. Don't just "put up" with things your entire life. The thing that pushed me was that my wife and I recently had a kid, and I was frustrated that every baby photo taken on my Z30 looked blurry.

Before:
    I successfully cleaned my Z30 camera lens, photos for comparison-fatffpwl.jpg

After:
    I successfully cleaned my Z30 camera lens, photos for comparison-ketxathl.jpg

Before:
    I successfully cleaned my Z30 camera lens, photos for comparison-yvwhw7wl.jpg

After:
    I successfully cleaned my Z30 camera lens, photos for comparison-vodpy14l.jpg

Shots During:
    I successfully cleaned my Z30 camera lens, photos for comparison-oc9ridnl.jpg

I successfully cleaned my Z30 camera lens, photos for comparison-of7hl4ll.jpg

I successfully cleaned my Z30 camera lens, photos for comparison-ahaeijxl.jpg

I successfully cleaned my Z30 camera lens, photos for comparison-m9m6umvl.jpg
    11-08-15 01:41 PM
    Congrats on the clean lens.

CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby.
    LoneStarRed, Xaiux and skilas like this.
    11-08-15 01:57 PM
    New babies.....lots of work....totally worth it!

Congratulations!

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."
    skilas likes this.
    11-08-15 02:00 PM
    Didn't even know that dust could make its way there lol

Please also share the cleaning method? Dry cotton fabric for example or could use a special chemical?

Posted via CB10
    skilas likes this.
    11-08-15 02:24 PM
    Or brush, compressed air?

Posted via CB10
    skilas likes this.
    11-08-15 05:37 PM
    Thanks for the best wishes. Very happy with the kiddo.

I just used compressed air to blow out the dust. I was too scared to actually wipe anything. Especially the lens. I did it all with my fingers (which was likely stupid, but I didn't have tweezers handy). So I made sure not to touch anything that resembled glass.

I used the compressed air on both the actual camera piece (which came out very easily) on my 7th photo, and the inside of the protective glass (photo 6). I thought about using something to wipe it, but knew it was a risk, and decided to stop where already successful.

It's amazing how much dust gets in the body of the phone, but just look at photos 5 and 6. This is the first time I ever opened the body (not included the back case). So much dirt and dust everywhere. Mostly I blame the speaker holes, the volume buttons, and charging/hdmi ports. Plus I had used compressed air to get dirt/dust out of all these spots previously, and also likely pushed the contaminants in further at the same time.

If the compressed air did not work, I'm not sure what my next step would have been. I hadn't thought that far ahead yet...
    FF22 and menshawy like this.
    11-08-15 10:19 PM
    Congratulations with the new arrival.

I would suggest that by using the compressed air on previous occasions, this could well have contributed to the dust getting under the lens glass.

Anyway, we'll done. Good fix.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2474 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    skilas likes this.
    11-09-15 01:58 AM
    If it was the same YouTube video I often reference, yeah they caption the screw driver type incorrectly.
    Not a "T-4 Philips" but a "T-4 Torx"
    11-09-15 07:33 AM
    If it was the same YouTube video I often reference, yeah they caption the screw driver type incorrectly.
    Not a "T-4 Philips" but a "T-4 Torx"
    I'll post the link later. But the issue wasn't actually the Phillips part. I found T4 too small. Couldn't turn the screw. T5 Torx fit perfectly. Juts a shame because I had found screwdriver sets with T5 throughout the day, but never as small as T4. Eventually had to go to Source and get a set that came with T4, and yet I didnít actually use T4...

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    11-09-15 08:28 AM
    I'll post the link later. But the issue wasn't actually the Phillips part. I found T4 too small. Couldn't turn the screw. T5 Torx fit perfectly. Juts a shame because I had found screwdriver sets with T5 throughout the day, but never as small as T4. Eventually had to go to Source and get a set that came with T4, and yet I didnít actually use T4...

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    I have a few T4s and the sizes are different

CB10ēQ10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2639
    11-09-15 08:42 AM
    When you get that small on a Torx, the quality of the manufacturer of the driver/bit comes into play.
    I have several and yeah, they are slightly different in "size".
    The $$$ SnapOn set I have fits perfectly, while the China drivers that come with battery/screen kits "may" fit and of those some work better than others.
    Also, plating on the driver effects its fit as during the plating process, the thickness of the material can be too much or too little which in turn effects it's true "size".
    11-09-15 09:08 AM
    From the pics your phone didn't look clean at all, there's dust particles in other areas. Poor QA on the assembly line if it wasn't somehow introduced by the yourself.
    11-11-15 12:18 AM
    From the pics your phone didn't look clean at all, there's dust particles in other areas. Poor QA on the assembly line if it wasn't somehow introduced by the yourself.
    I'm sure all the dust and dirt was introduced from myself. This is a two year old phone, with no case, that was always carried in my pocket. I'm sure pocket lint alone would have wreaked havoc on the system. But that's what maintenance is for.

As for the video I used:
    DaFoxGrey and diesel0110 like this.
    11-11-15 09:53 PM
    Like Dafoe Grey said, Snapon kit works perfectly. It's fear of breaking something but you get a real feel of achievement when you take it apart, and reassemble. You couldn't do that with an iPhone
    11-13-15 03:16 AM