Upscaled 720p is referred to in the industry as 1080i. And for the record, all basic television stations broadcasting in HD are actually only broadcasting in 720p. So those people, including myself, with 1080p TV's are still only getting a 720p signal.

Those are just the facts.

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    Interesting. The BBC which is 'basic TV channel' in the sense of no set top box etc has actually been broadcasting it's HD channels in the UK in 1080p since 2011.

Maybe you wanna check what you throw around as facts.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 03:23 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-telus-850952/

CPU is Qualcomm MSM8960T Pro 1.7 GHz Dual Core : Performance Review of Qualcomm MSM8960T - News - AnTuTu Benchmark -- Know Your Android Better
    8960 and 8960T are dual-core CPUs, however, the CPU Google Nexus 4 adopts, Qualcomm 8064, is a quad-core CPU. It seems this comparison is unfair. Though 8960T is a dual-core CPU, its benchmark is much higher than 8960, even equal with quad-core CPU 8064
    Now, enough with this "pissing the furthest" contest !
    09-19-13 03:28 AM
    Interesting. The BBC which is 'basic TV channel' in the sense of no set top box etc has actually been broadcasting it's HD channels in the UK in 1080p since 2011.

Maybe you wanna check what you throw around as facts.

Posted via CB10
    1920x1080i 50
    09-19-13 03:32 AM
    1920x1080i 50
    Thank you!!

09-19-13 03:50 AM
    Well, I created this thread and I argued against 1080 back when it was a rumor.

1080p on a smartphone is stupid and is only for suckers who only care about bragging rights.

Go ahead and keep tellimg me your Ford Mustang is better than my BMW because it has more horsepower.

Posted via CB10
    That's ok. This guys thinks that overkill is a spec. I bet he is wishing for eight wheels on his car or the Mustang should have a V16.

If there is no lag and the OS is fluid and the experience is better, then why waste resources and battery life when it isn't needed. Sounds like small ****** syndrome.
    09-19-13 06:37 AM
    That's ok. This guys thinks that overkill is a spec. I bet he is wishing for eight wheels on his car or the Mustang should have a V16.

If there is no lag and the OS is fluid and the experience is better, then why waste resources and battery life when it isn't needed. Sounds like small ****** syndrome.
    Exactly. I was so happy when I got my z10 because with every email I got, I was sorelieved that I had the highest res screen on the market. Then the S4 came out and now I cringe everytime I reply to a text knowing that someone else has more pixels that they can't see than I have.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 08:11 AM
    Exactly. I was so happy when I got my z10 because with every email I got, I was sorelieved that I had the highest res screen on the market. Then the S4 came out and now I cringe everytime I reply to a text knowing that someone else has more pixels that they can't see than I have.

Posted via CB10
    No you didn't. The DROID DNA had a 5" 1080p screen before the GS4 launched. It was an HTC One X variant, launched November 2012. The Z10 has never - ever had the highest PPI screen.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    09-19-13 09:03 AM
    Upscaled 720p is referred to in the industry as 1080i. And for the record, all basic television stations broadcasting in HD are actually only broadcasting in 720p. So those people, including myself, with 1080p TV's are still only getting a 720p signal.
    Where did you get all this completely wrong information, seriously?
    Amazingly, almost EVERYTHING is wrong in your post.

Those are just the facts.

In your imaginary world, perhaps. Which planet are you from?
    Us, people living on Earth, actually know the difference between scaling and interlacing, nobody refers to 'upscaled 720p as 1080i' unless the person is absolutely clueless about the broadcast industry, not to mention the rest of the crazy talk like 'everybody is airing in 720p' when, in fact in the US, with the exception of specialty channels (like sports where, due to its nature, progressive format suits the content much better, see ESPN, FOX-channels, Disney) almost everybody airs in 1080i60 format. Please, refrain from spreading ignorant crap like this, try at least googling the basics before attacking your keyboard - thank you.
    09-19-13 09:55 AM
    I don't mind the screen resolution but please stop with the battery life excuses. Look at the LG G2. 1080p, 5.2 inch, 2.3 GHz Snapdragon 800, 3000 mAh battery and it lasts a really long time (even comparable to the Droid Maxx)

With that being said, the Z30 should be a beast in terms of battery life and performance, but quad core and 1080p DOES NOT equate to terrible battery life.

Posted via CB10
    Very true. My new 1080p Xperia Z Ultra is 6.4", runs on Snapdragon 800 yet easily gets up to 1.5-2 days on average daily use, according to my past few days of use.
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    09-19-13 09:58 AM
    No you didn't. The DROID DNA had a 5" 1080p screen before the GS4 launched. It was an HTC One X variant, launched November 2012. The Z10 has never - ever had the highest PPI screen.

Dude, I am being sarcastic. Besides, I don't keep up with every Andriod device. The s4 was the first I knew about. My z10 is as sharp as I can see. It is also plenty big for me. I don't need anything more.
    It is also plenty fast.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 10:00 AM
    Dude, I am being sarcastic. Besides, I don't keep up with every Andriod device. The s4 was the first I knew about. My z10 is as sharp as I can see. It is also plenty big for me. I don't need anything more.
    It is also plenty fast.

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 has no PPI issues. This thread is not about the Z10 screen. Let's not derail. I'm simply stating a fact. Perhaps you should stay up to date on these things a bit more.

09-19-13 10:03 AM

I don't think you could do a better job of misunderstanding this post.

You continually state that everyone can see the difference from 720p to 1080p on a 5" screen as If this is a simple fact, and suggest we are dumb for not understanding. In truth there appears to be significant debate about the benefits of higher resolution on such a small screen, and whether resolution is even the most important factor beyond a certain point....say beyond 720p.

Apple, BlackBerry and Motorola clearly disagree with your assertion. In fact, the only companies that seem to agree with you are the ones that differentiate themselves from their competitors solely based upon increased specs.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 10:03 AM
    The Z10 has no PPI issues. This thread is not about the Z10 screen. Let's not derail. I'm simply stating a fact. Perhaps you should stay up to date on these things a bit more.

A fact is that the z30 screen is not 1080p, which nobody is arguing. You OPINION is that everybody will think that 1080p looks way better than 720p on a 5" screen, which is at best a dubious statement. Stop stating your opinion and calling it fact.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 10:09 AM
    I don't think you could do a better job of misunderstanding this post.

You continually state that everyone can see the difference from 720p to 1080p on a 5" screen as If this is a simple fact, and suggest we are dumb for not understanding. In truth there appears to be significant debate about the benefits of higher resolution on such a small screen, and whether resolution is even the most important factor beyond a certain point....say beyond 720p.

Apple, BlackBerry and Motorola clearly disagree with your assertion. In fact, the only companies that seem to agree with you are the ones that differentiate themselves from their competitors solely based upon increased specs.

Posted via CB10
    Apple maintains their PPI and tends to not like changing their aspect ratio a lot due to the work that places on developers.

Motorola is not much different than blackberry these days. I mean, they basically failed in the market and had to sell themselves to Google.

Every profitable major OEMs except Apple, which has their own reasons for keeping their odd screen resolutions has moved to 1080p.

MarsupilamiX and Donvald like this.
    09-19-13 10:09 AM
    A fact is that the z30 screen is not 1080p, which nobody is arguing. You OPINION is that everybody will think that 1080p looks way better than 720p on a 5" screen, which is at best a dubious statement. Stop stating your opinion and calling it fact.

Posted via CB10
    I said anyone should, unless they have blinders on. Do I care. No. I will not buy it, and the screen is a major reason why. That is not my loss. That is blackberry's loss.

I think you need to calm down just a little :-)

Donvald and szlevi like this.
    09-19-13 10:11 AM
    I said anyone should, unless they have blinders on. Do I care. No. I will not buy it, and the screen is a major reason why. That is not my loss. That is blackberry's loss.

I think you need to calm down just a little :-)

And by saying "anyone should" you are making a sweeping generalization using your own belief as fact.

Regarding all oem's going to 1080p, is Nokia not a major OEM? also, which company pushing 1080p, other than Samsung, is making money HTC - nope, LG - nope., Sony- nope.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 10:16 AM
    And by saying "anyone should" you are making a sweeping generalization using your own belief as fact.

Regarding all oem's going to 1080p, is Nokia not a major OEM? also, which company pushing 1080p, other than Samsung, is making money HTC - nope, LG - nope., Sony- nope.

Posted via CB10
    LG, Sony both make money from their phones. HTC is not losing money, yet. Even Chinese manufacturers have moved to 1080p screens. This is all fact. They make money on their hardware, too. Not as much, but they are profitable. What are you talking about? LOL

Samsung was LATE getting a 720p AND 1080p screen to market. They also were behind on resolution with the GS2. They have never pushed screen resolution in their devices - ever. They were producing panels as big as 4.5+ with WVGA resolution on flagship devices, and they weren't shy about it. They completely skipped qHD when manufacturers like Motorola and HTC moved to that higher resolution.

Where have you been since 2010?

Nokia could not do 1080p because WP8 did not support that display resolution, so mentioning them is intellectually dishonest at best. Windows Phone didn't even support 720p resolution screens until WP8. WP7/7.5 only supported WVGA screen resolutions.

In any case, that's not what we were talking about. That's not what we were talking about.

1. We are not talking about discerning the pixels on the screen. That is a completely different matter.

2. The difference between a 1080p and 720p screen at 5" is pretty obvious.

I don't care whether you want to agree with it or not in your quest to defend BB and this device (who's really attacking them, we're just pointing out issues with the specs given the price and the market in which it's expected to compete). That's the simple low down.

Don't expect many more replies, as you've gotten enough already and I'd like my phone to stop beeping so much now...

Last edited by n8ter#AC; 09-19-13 at 10:37 AM.
    MarsupilamiX and Donvald like this.
    09-19-13 10:19 AM
    LG and Sony make almost no return on their smartphones. While the net profits are in the millions, it's a horrible number compared to the investment they made for that return.

Samsung is a major driver of all specs, and saying they weren't the driver of any one spec over a small time frame doesn't prove anything.

It's also interesting that you say BlackBerry is doomed since it's Z30 resolution is low, but you then name two amazingly successful Samsung phones that "trailed" in resolution specs.

We get that you have amazing vision, and are obsessed with Android phones and specs.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 10:36 AM
    I assumed you require a review because you can't think for yourself and need Samsung's marketing department to tell you what you need.

You are the exact person Kimmel makes fun of for gushing over new tech and "seeing" the difference.

Posted via CB10
    lol, cant win with fact, so got to go to the default defense of basically calling ppl sheep.
    iN8ter likes this.
    09-19-13 10:39 AM
    Wowsa how many times are you going to ninja edit that post?

You really like to state your opinion as fact.

At first it was annoying but now I'm kind of impressed by your stubbornness.

I assume your phone is beeping because the battery is dying...thank goodness for all that processing power, how else would you be able to run tapatalk4.

I guess we can call it a day.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 10:42 AM
    Wowsa how many times are you going to ninja edit that post?

You really like to state your opinion as fact.

At first it was annoying but now I'm kind of impressed by your stubbornness.

I assume your phone is beeping because the battery is dying...thank goodness for all that processing power, how else would you be able to run tapatalk4.

I guess we can call it a day.

Posted via CB10
    I moved from Phone to PC.

Tapatalk 4 has Push Notifications for when people Quote my posts, send me a message, mention me on some forums, post in subscribed threads, etc.

And as for Samsung Trailing in Screen Resolution. That was an easy remedy. DON'T buy a Samsung and instead buy an HTC, Sony, Motorola, LG, etc. device with a better screen resolution.

There is no such choice in the BB or iOS ecosystem. If BB doesn't make a 1080p screen, or Apple doesn't make a bigger screen you either deal with it or don't buy it.

The device is doomed for way more reasons than the screen resolution (shoddy services and media ecosystem, poor app ecosystem, etc.). That is just one thing that is blaringly obvious about it, from a hardware point of view. The other issues are with the software or services, which isn't an issue with this device specifically. Don't worry about my battery life. It's practically flawless.

Obsessed with Android. I mean, I do understand that you're very mad, but I think you should try a different tactic. I've been here way longer than you have, so I don't fall into that trap anymore these days. Nice try though. Trolling is bad, though. Try not to get reported, k?

You do realize the GS3 has an SoC on par with the Z10, right? Other components may be better, but as far as running apps the processing power is fairly on par with the Z10. Not sure what you are trying to do there, other than to bait me into a hostile argument, which you seem desperate for given your posts thus far :-) Not gonna get that here, buddy.
    09-19-13 11:05 AM
    lol, cant win with fact, so got to go to the default defense of basically calling ppl sheep.
    That is the way it's been here since at least 2010 when BB really started to hit their rough patch - well before this guy showed up on this forum. I'm used to it. It validates more than it bothers :-)
    09-19-13 11:14 AM

Tapatalk has Push Notifications for when people Quote my posts.

And as for Samsung Trailing in Screen Resolution. That was an easy remedy. DON'T buy a Samsung and instead buy an HTC, Sony, Motorola, LG, etc. device with a better screen resolution.

There is no such choice in the BB ecosystem.

The device is doomed for way more reasons than the screen resolution. That is just one thing that is blaringly obvious about it. Don't worry about my battery life. It's practically flawless.

Obsessed with Android. I mean, I do understand that you're very mad, but I think you should try a different tactic. I've been here way longer than you have, so I don't fall into that trap anymore these days. Nice try though. Trolling is bad, though. Try not to get reported, k?
    I guess we have different definitions for what is considered trolling.

This thread was about how the OP was just fine with 720p resolution. You are the one who came here to tell them they were wrong.

Either way the point of this thread was lost long ago, so we might as well leave it there.

Feel free to report my posts if you like. K?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 11:14 AM

Tapatalk 4 has Push Notifications for when people Quote my posts, send me a message, mention me on some forums, post in subscribed threads, etc.

There is no such choice in the BB or iOS ecosystem. If BB doesn't make a 1080p screen, or Apple doesn't make a bigger screen you either deal with it or don't buy it.

The device is doomed for way more reasons than the screen resolution (shoddy services and media ecosystem, poor app ecosystem, etc.). That is just one thing that is blaringly obvious about it, from a hardware point of view. The other issues are with the software or services, which isn't an issue with this device specifically. Don't worry about my battery life. It's practically flawless.

You do realize the GS3 has an SoC on par with the Z10, right? Other components may be better, but as far as running apps the processing power is fairly on par with the Z10. Not sure what you are trying to do there, other than to bait me into a hostile argument, which you seem desperate for given your posts thus far :-) Not gonna get that here, buddy.
    Dude, you gotta stop with the ninja edits, it's too confusing.

I think the baiting goes both ways. I wasn't comparing the gs3 to the Z10, I was trying to point out that for the vast majority of what we use phones for they are way over spec'd.

I can't be any more reasonable than I have been when I said let's wait to see what people have to say when they actually see the device. I am sure we will get a side by side screen comparison with the GS4.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 11:20 AM
    LG, Sony both make money from their phones. HTC is not losing money, yet. Even Chinese manufacturers have moved to 1080p screens. This is all fact. They make money on their hardware, too. Not as much, but they are profitable. What are you talking about? LOL

Samsung was LATE getting a 720p AND 1080p screen to market. They also were behind on resolution with the GS2. They have never pushed screen resolution in their devices - ever. They were producing panels as big as 4.5+ with WVGA resolution on flagship devices, and they weren't shy about it. They completely skipped qHD when manufacturers like Motorola and HTC moved to that higher resolution.

Where have you been since 2010?

Nokia could not do 1080p because WP8 did not support that display resolution, so mentioning them is intellectually dishonest at best. Windows Phone didn't even support 720p resolution screens until WP8. WP7/7.5 only supported WVGA screen resolutions.

In any case, that's not what we were talking about. That's not what we were talking about.

1. We are not talking about discerning the pixels on the screen. That is a completely different matter.

2. The difference between a 1080p and 720p screen at 5" is pretty obvious.

I don't care whether you want to agree with it or not in your quest to defend BB and this device (who's really attacking them, we're just pointing out issues with the specs given the price and the market in which it's expected to compete). That's the simple low down.

Don't expect many more replies, as you've gotten enough already and I'd like my phone to stop beeping so much now...

Sent from an S3? I.e. a ~5in screen with 720p resolution? Gross, it must be horrible using that pixelated pos

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    09-19-13 11:21 AM
96 1234