While I wouldn't say I was "Glad" for the 720p screen it doesn't bother me that 1080p is missing. It is interesting to me how the current 720p screens were sometimes advertised as so hi-res you couldn't make out the pixels with the naked eye, or at least from normal viewing distance.

So its ridiculous to think that this is really necessary, or would actual be really beneficial. The resolution has reached its best, and more focus should be on quality and power efficiency. I can understand the spec wars, they will always be there, but don't get fooled by them.

Of course the ppi is a bit less on these humongous phones but only marginally.

EDIT: Its only fair to add that I have no desire for a phablet, therefore no Z30, otherwise I'd probably want 1080p just for bragging rights, and having the best.
    Excuses for BlackBerry.

That all I am seeing here.

This device is barely better than an S3 and not even competitive with S4, One, 5S, G2 and other such devices.

This should have been launched six months ago, at least. With something better a couple months off.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    09-18-13 05:43 PM
    Excuses for BlackBerry.

This device is barely better than an S3 and not even competitive with S4, One, 5S, G2 and other such devices.

This should have been launched six months ago, at least. With something better a couple months off.

Irrational hatred of a phone screen you have never seen or touched, that's all I see from you. Are you that threatened by a large screen BlackBerry that you have to trash it before even one review is out?

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and dbcmgt like this.
    09-18-13 05:48 PM
    Irrational hatred of a phone screen you have never seen or touched, that's all I see from you. Are you that threatened by a large screen BlackBerry that you have to trash it before even one review is out?

Posted via CB10
    Z10 updated old CPU and bigger screen. What do we need a review for? Everyone wants to call their sound something (Beats, SoundAlive, this stuff, whatever). The specs are pretty bad and with that resolution why would I care it's barely better than what I have and almost the same size screen...

Irrational hatred? No. More like incredibly underwhelmed.

09-18-13 05:55 PM
    Z10 updated old CPU and bigger screen. What do we need a review for? Everyone wants to call their sound something (Beats, SoundAlive, this stuff, whatever). The specs are pretty bad and with that resolution why would I care it's barely better than what I have and almost the same size screen...

I assumed you require a review because you can't think for yourself and need Samsung's marketing department to tell you what you need.

You are the exact person Kimmel makes fun of for gushing over new tech and "seeing" the difference.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:06 PM
    I assumed you require a review because you can't think for yourself and need Samsung's marketing department to tell you what you need.

You are the exact person Kimmel makes fun of for gushing over new tech and "seeing" the difference.

Posted via CB10
    My point is clear. I won't argue with you about something so simple. Personal attacks. Cute!

09-18-13 06:08 PM

if you seriouslly think its just a higher clocked CPU you're ****ed

its a krait 300 cpu, its a dual core version of the HTC Ones chip, it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Snapdragon S4 plus used in the Z10. if you're going to base your assumptions of a device on specs then i suggest you know your *** from your face and do your ******* research before you open your **** hole and look liek a fool
    09-18-13 06:12 PM
    if you seriouslly think its just a higher clocked CPU you're ****ed

its a krait 300 cpu, its a dual core version of the HTC Ones chip, it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Snapdragon S4 plus used in the Z10. if you're going to base your assumptions of a device on specs then i suggest you know your *** from your face and do your ******* research before you open your **** hole and look liek a fool
    I'm aware of what it is. I have made that clear. I'm summarizing. That SoC is old news at this point. Watch your language.

I said updated old CPU, which is accurate. Snap 4/6/800 are qualcomm's new line of cpu. S4/Plus/Pro are old hardware. Updated cause better than Z10,old cause its old hardware.

Like that 720p screen.

The updated GPU is one of the biggest reasons for using the Pro, so I'm aware of that - thank you. Not sure what will take advantage of that on this platform, though.

09-18-13 06:14 PM
    Excuses for BlackBerry.

Well, I created this thread and I argued against 1080 back when it was a rumor.

1080p on a smartphone is stupid and is only for suckers who only care about bragging rights.

Go ahead and keep tellimg me your Ford Mustang is better than my BMW because it has more horsepower.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:20 PM
    And also, you can have an higher resolution screen and a faster cpu on your gs4, but, guess what? Take a Z10 and compare the browser speed and the ui snappiness.
    Touchwiz is laggy, what does really matters is actual speed, not what is on the specs sheet

Android is inherently slow because it's programmed in an extremely inefficient programming language ran by an unoptimized virtual machine, that's why they had to make that "project butter " that partially made it faster.

Real operating systems that runs apps written in a native language like ios or BB10 are much snappier

Posted via Z10
    09-18-13 06:47 PM
    My point is clear. I won't argue with you about something so simple. Personal attacks. Cute!

Fake indignation, cute.

Your entire point in posting here is to be inflammatory, so don't act all naive.

And you didn't make a point,you stated your opinion. I said wait until someone actually touches the phone and comments on it, and you say what's the point as its a Z10 with a bigger screen...which one of those two statements is more even handed?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:51 PM
    I'm aware of what it is. I have made that clear. I'm summarizing. That SoC is old news at this point. Watch your language.

I said updated old CPU, which is accurate. Snap 4/6/800 are qualcomm's new line of cpu. S4/Plus/Pro are old hardware. Updated cause better than Z10,old cause its old hardware.

Like that 720p screen.

The updated GPU is one of the biggest reasons for using the Pro, so I'm aware of that - thank you. Not sure what will take advantage of that on this platform, though.

the MSM8960AB is a new chip its not just an update. the CPU alone is 25% faster then what is in the Z10, not to mention the GPU is miles better. my Z10 geekbenches at about 1820 consistantly lets say the Z30 is just 25% faster over all the Z30 should be geekbenching in the area of 2300, and this is only if its running on BB10.1, i've heard 10.2 jacks up the pace of the device, this will put the Z30 in competative range with the higher rated Androids if the speed rumors are true. sure the Note3 will have a Snapdragon 800 using a krait 400 cpu but this is a more power efficient CPU where the frequency has been upped to 2.2GHz .

like i said the Z30 is still a competative device the numbers may be lower but this still doesn't mean that it is based on old hardware because it is new and only been released on the Z30
    09-18-13 06:57 PM
    And also, you can have an higher resolution screen and a faster cpu on your gs4, but, guess what? Take a Z10 and compare the browser speed and the ui snappiness.
    Touchwiz is laggy, what does really matters is actual speed, not what is on the specs sheet

Android is inherently slow because it's programmed in an extremely inefficient programming language ran by an unoptimized virtual machine, that's why they had to make that "project butter " that partially made it faster.

Real operating systems that runs apps written in a native language like ios or BB10 are much snappier

Posted via Z10
    lol linux and QNX are coded in the same language both are C/C++, you used the wrong term, you mean different architecture
    09-18-13 06:59 PM
    Ok guys.
    1080p is entirely unwarranted. Almost no one can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p in a phone. First off, you'd need better than 20/20 vision and you'd need to be closer than 30cm to it. Blackberry themselves have already done these tests but have decided to make a 1080p phone anyway (AQ series) simply to compete on 'specs' (as in the display).

Secondly, when doubling the amount of pixels you need to render to screen, you are also doubling work load. The UI uses more power simply from requiring more processing. The AMOLED uses more power simply from having more dots light up. Games are slowed down significantly due to having to process twice as much.
    This is why a Z30 will outscore almost every phone in benchmarks (but get same as Moto X which also uses 720p) despite having a much older CPU/GPU.

Thirdly, Samsung phones use Pentile displays. So they only have 2 subpixels per pixel. Their effective resolution is more like 2/3rds and the display can't properly reproduce whites. They use this to pretend they have 1080p on note and galaxy.
    This is why, despite having a higher resolution, the screen doesn't even look as nice as the iPhone.

Fourth: yes, those phones with 1080p screens have much lower battery life. They tend to put gigantic batteries in there too but it doesn't help. iPhone does fine with its 640p screen, getting 10 hours browsing and videos on a battery less than half the size simply because Apple know they have a resolution which meets the human vision already and aren't threatened by spec wars.

In summary, it's quite sad we will have a generation of devices with pixels needlessly so close together that the battery life, heat and frame rate becomes much worse. For no reason other than to cheat the buyer in to thinking they are getting a better screen.
    Real things you should look for in a screen: ~260-320 dpi and no more, 500-600 nits brightness and no more, AMOLED, low reflectance, low latency, non-pentile.
    If anyone is wondering, the closest phone to this right now is: Lumia 925/1020 (but it's Pentile) and iPhone 5/5s (but it's LCD and has bad reflectance).
    Last edited by xsacha; 09-18-13 at 07:18 PM.
    09-18-13 07:01 PM
    Ok guys.
    1080p is entirely unwarranted. Almost no one can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p in a phone. First off, you'd need better than 20/20 vision and you'd need to be closer than 30cm to it. Blackberry themselves have already done these tests but have decided to make a 1080p phone anyway (AQ series) simply to compete on 'specs' (as in the display).

Secondly, when doubling the amount of pixels you need to render to screen, you are also doubling work load. The UI uses more power simply from requiring more processing. The AMOLED uses more power simply from having more dots light up. Games are slowed down significantly due to having to process twice as much.
    This is why a Z30 will outscore almost every phone in benchmarks (but get same as Moto X which also uses 720p) despite having a much older CPU/GPU.

Thirdly, Samsung phones use Pentile displays. So they only have 2 subpixels per pixel. Their effective resolution is more like 2/3rds and the display can't properly reproduce whites. They use this to pretend they have 1080p on note and galaxy.
    This is why, despite having a higher resolution, the screen doesn't even look as nice as the iPhone.

Fourth: yes, those phones with 1080p screens have much lower battery life. They tend to put gigantic batteries in there too but it doesn't help. iPhone does fine with its 640p screen, getting 10 hours browsing and videos on a battery less than half the size simply because Apple know they have a resolution which meets the human vision already and aren't threatened by spec wars.
    theres no use explaining, no one will read it and the ones that do will ignore it, you'll have somethign liek 30% actully learn something :P
    09-18-13 07:10 PM
    I love how android ported apps are equivalent or smoother running on a dual core Z10 than on the quad android machines they were made for.
    Don't care about the 1080 arguments. The quad GPU is the more important feature than the Dual cpu. Take care of bottlenecks and match components for what the OS needs.
    Just like Apple.
    It's a 5 inch screen. If 720 is a deal breaker your dopey.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 09:44 PM
    Well, I created this thread and I argued against 1080 back when it was a rumor.

1080p on a smartphone is stupid and is only for suckers who only care about bragging rights.

Go ahead and keep tellimg me your Ford Mustang is better than my BMW because it has more horsepower.

Posted via CB10
    This is the kind of utterly.clueless yet loudmouthed idiocy that makes this forum almost unbearable now...

I for one am glad for the 720p screen-1379560887775.jpg

Yeah, that's what you get in 1080p, with normal font size, on my Xperia Z Ultra.

Sent from my C6833 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-18-13 10:23 PM
    I love how android ported apps are equivalent or smoother running on a dual core Z10 than on the quad android machines they were made for.
    Don't care about the 1080 arguments. The quad GPU is the more important feature than the Dual cpu. Take care of bottlenecks and match components for what the OS needs.
    Just like Apple.
    It's a 5 inch screen. If 720 is a deal breaker your dopey.

Posted via CB10
    And again, and again... the clueless yet loudmouthed crowd is out in force tonight.

09-18-13 10:25 PM
    Ok guys.

In summary, it's quite sad we will have a generation of devices with pixels needlessly so close together that the battery life, heat and frame rate becomes much worse. For no reason other than to cheat the buyer in to thinking they are getting a better screen.
    Real things you should look for in a screen: ~260-320 dpi and no more, 500-600 nits brightness and no more, AMOLED, low reflectance, low latency, non-pentile.
    If anyone is wondering, the closest phone to this right now is: Lumia 925/1020 (but it's Pentile) and iPhone 5/5s (but it's LCD and has bad reflectance).
    Samsung isn't the only OEM using 1080p screens. Last I remember, HTC, Sony, and LG also had them and they don't use PenTile displays.

The fact that many people may be content with a lower PPI does not mean that it isn't noticeable to many. 720p on a 5" screen vs 1080p, you will notice the difference. Even if it's PenTile, the resolution on the PenTile 1080p will be greater than the 720p screen and it will be noticeable. The fact that you cannot see the pixels from 3 feet away does not mean that the screen image does not look sharper. I'm not sure how so many are (seemingly) coming to that conclusion. You cannot see the pixels on a 720p television from 10 feet away, but a 1080p panel of the same size will still look sharper. Small text on a page, for example, is going to look sharper on a 5: 1080p display than on a 5" 720p display. These things work this way.

There have been 5" 720p screens so it's not hard to look at something like a Droid DNA or GS4 screen and see the sharpness is better than an equivalently sized 720p screen.

No one said others should NOT GET THE DEVICE simply because the screen was a lower resolution, it used an older generation SoC, or anything. Some are simply voicing their disappointment that BB launched a flagship this late in the year with this spec setup. At this price, this devise should have been sporting better specs. The only reason to justify the price is to use the Apple Logic - they have no other competitors in their ecosystem, so whatever they deem high end is high end simply because nothing better is available running their software.

1080p video at native resolution looks better than 1080p downscaled to 720p, and high resolution images look better on a 1080p screen than on a 720p screen. To justify the lack of a higher resolution simply because someone perhaps cannot see the pixels on the screen, is a pretty bad way to go about it. The image on the screen is still going to be less sharp and, when mirrored, it will still almost assuredly be 720p (perhaps simply upscaled to 1080p).

Current GPUs can push 1080p displays without issues. The S4 can do it, an S4 Pro certainly can do it without issues. The frame rate should be fine, as long as graphics drivers are decently coded. Those are not anything worth considering at this point. These GPUs are pretty much overpowered for these smartphones and are less of a bottleneck than the CPUs are (as Tegra III has proven, with its great GPU but a CPU that underperformed compared to Exynos, A6, and Snapdragon 4). Aforementioned, weaker SoCs have been used to push 1080p displays, so that should not even be a consideration here...
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 09-18-13 at 10:40 PM.
    MarsupilamiX and Donvald like this.
    09-18-13 10:30 PM
    And again, and again... the clueless yet loudmouthed crowd is out in force tonight.

Try not to fall into the personal attack/name calling trap. It destroys threads.
    09-18-13 10:30 PM

Sounds like you just described yourself

Posted via CB10
    dbcmgt likes this.
    09-18-13 10:39 PM
    Try not to fall into the personal attack/name calling trap. It destroys threads.
    I know but it's just this incredible level of loudmouthed stupidity that's destroying this thread, let's admit it.
    09-18-13 10:51 PM
    Lol of course dude had to bring up android phones wouldn't expect anything else

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-18-13 10:59 PM
    I don't mind the screen resolution but please stop with the battery life excuses. Look at the LG G2. 1080p, 5.2 inch, 2.3 GHz Snapdragon 800, 3000 mAh battery and it lasts a really long time (even comparable to the Droid Maxx)

With that being said, the Z30 should be a beast in terms of battery life and performance, but quad core and 1080p DOES NOT equate to terrible battery life.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    09-18-13 11:50 PM
    lol linux and QNX are coded in the same language both are C/C++, you used the wrong term, you mean different architecture
    Android is based on Linux, but apps are NOT in c++!

On android, almost everything runs in a virtual machine that runs java code, with an huge drop in performance

Can everyone please stop comparing specs? Android is inherently slower compared to other operating systems.

For example, I bought an HTC dream (the first android). On the specs sheet it's better than the iPhone 3G, but that iphone can still be used nowadays (to some extent) , while the HTC is unusable even to text and call, extremely laggy.

That's why last year when the iphone 5 was available, its benchmark scores were better than the gs3, even if on the specs sheet Samsung is much better

Android is not popular because it's the best operating system, it's popular because it's free

Posted via Z10
    09-19-13 01:58 AM
    When you mirror 720 onto a 1080p display what is it then? Upscale 720p. There is reason why these OEMs use 1080p screens.

The i5s screen does not look more crisp than Samsung, but go ahead. Anything to explain this away.

Upscaled 720p is referred to in the industry as 1080i. And for the record, all basic television stations broadcasting in HD are actually only broadcasting in 720p. So those people, including myself, with 1080p TV's are still only getting a 720p signal.

Those are just the facts.

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    09-19-13 03:19 AM
96 1234