I tried to start a thread listing the steps I have used to bring this z30 back to life, the mods closed it and told me to post in the 10.3 issues thread. Since then there has been many more threads listing this as an issue and more people having it. So, below is a link to my long post with the steps I used. This has worked and I now have a fully functioning z30 with the carrier ota update of 10.3 installed. I'll monitor this thread for any questions. I would have re posted my steps in full here but I can only assume the same mod will shut it down, maybe this will die too. Good luck everyone.

This fix only helps if your screen is black but the phone is turning on and giving notifications. Won't help with failed I stall. For that search forums, there is a fix to try.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...97/index3.html Post #70
    Last edited by ExplicitPromo; 03-06-15 at 12:58 PM.
    03-06-15 11:51 AM
    I would have re posted my steps in full here but I can only assume the same mod will shut it down, maybe this will die too.
    The safe thing to do would be to ask the same mod if they would be so kind to keep this thread open until BlackBerry comes up with a resolution to the problem.

Personally I think because of the severity of the issue, I would hope it's allowed to stand on it own rather than getting buried in the finding and fixes postings.
    diesel0110 likes this.
    03-06-15 12:28 PM
    Tried your method - didn't work. I would not assume that this will fix every since there are many variables.
    For example, model number, software update history, actual reported issue (some report totally black screen, others
    report some activity...)
    I'm happy for you that it worked on your phone but I am waiting for the official patch.
    Thanks anyway
    03-06-15 12:28 PM
    Tried your method - didn't work. I would not assume that this will fix every since there are many variables.
    For example, model number, software update history, actual reported issue (some report totally black screen, others
    report some activity...)
    I'm happy for you that it worked on your phone but I am waiting for the official patch.
    Thanks anyway
    What didn't work for you, where does it fail? Don't assume it doesn't work right away. This took me three days to do. It's not a 10 min fix.

Posted on my z30, updated to 10.3 suffering the black screen/phone on bug that I have fixed!
    03-06-15 12:30 PM
    No assumptions here - been trying for several days.. Whereas for you screen stays blank but notifications come in, on mine the OS was not set up. That is had not gotten through setup before the dreaded bug hit. Others too have reported messages to the effect of "phone is not setup - unplug and complete setup.....So you should no assume that everyone has the identical issue that you have nor that the same fix will work for all cases.
    03-06-15 12:47 PM
    No assumptions here - been trying for several days.. Whereas for you screen stays blank but notifications come in, on mine the OS was not set up. That is had not gotten through setup before the dreaded bug hit. Others too have reported messages to the effect of "phone is not setup - unplug and complete setup.....So you should no assume that everyone has the identical issue that you have nor that the same fix will work for all cases.
    I didn't assume anything. If you read my long post. It clearly states this is for z30 with black screen where the phone is working in background. I never claimed it would help with anything else. What's with the attitude? Got something against trying to help others? Sorry but I not really getting you maybe?

I'll edit top post and clarify this. To be sure

Posted on my z30, updated to 10.3 suffering the black screen/phone on bug that I have fixed!
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    03-06-15 12:55 PM
    I believe this can only address the issue of the blackscreen if the screen is the only issue. If the actual phone won't boot up or doesn't function, ie you have no image on HDMI out then this isn't for you. The former was the case for me and so over the course of watching a NBA game I put it thru 15 hard-resets with power cable attached and voila it came back. YMMV.
    ExplicitPromo likes this.
    03-06-15 01:01 PM
    I believe this can only address the issue of the blackscreen if the screen is the only issue. If the actual phone won't boot up or doesn't function, ie you have no image on HDMI out then this isn't for you. The former was the case for me and so over the course of watching a NBA game I put it thru 15 hard-resets with power cable attached and voila it came back. YMMV.
    You are 100 percent correct.

03-06-15 01:06 PM
    This is the link directly to Message 70 in that thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11433613
    ExplicitPromo likes this.
    03-06-15 03:51 PM
    I tried to start a thread listing the steps I have used to bring this z30 back to life, the mods closed it and told me to post in the 10.3 issues thread. Since then there has been many more threads listing this as an issue and more people having it. So, below is a link to my long post with the steps I used. This has worked and I now have a fully functioning z30 with the carrier ota update of 10.3 installed. I'll monitor this thread for any questions. I would have re posted my steps in full here but I can only assume the same mod will shut it down, maybe this will die too. Good luck everyone.

This fix only helps if your screen is black but the phone is turning on and giving notifications. Won't help with failed I stall. For that search forums, there is a fix to try.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...97/index3.html Post #70
    So you ended up doing what we told you since the very beginning. Glad to hear it worked out.

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    03-07-15 12:30 AM
    So you ended up doing what we told you since the very beginning. Glad to hear it worked out.

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    You must be joking. Please post where u or anyone else told me to do this? Please

03-07-15 09:13 AM
    From support forums at BB dot com.

supportforums.blackberryDOT com/t5/BlackBerry-Z30/Black-Screen/td-p/2626279/page/56
    I was on the phone with BB tech support this morning.

They claimed that a software fix is expected before the end of this week (I am very skeptical) and that if the screen reader mode can be turned on (by pressing the power button three times), most likely the SW fix will correct the issue.
    03-09-15 03:22 PM
    I fixed my Z30 today turned power off and charged until green LED came on left it plugged in for several more hours with out touching the phone than I removed the power cord from phone and then plugged it back in within a few seconds a lightning bold showed on the screen and then it was up and running..seems fine so far
    FF22 likes this.
    03-15-15 07:55 PM
    I fixed my Z30 today turned power off and charged until green LED came on left it plugged in for several more hours with out touching the phone than I removed the power cord from phone and then plugged it back in within a few seconds a lightning bold showed on the screen and then it was up and running..seems fine so far
    Is that all you did - charge it for a long while and leave it? Or did you update the OS with the newest and improvedest!
    03-15-15 09:41 PM
    I did not do the newest update until the phone was working again. I had hooked it up to power many times. But have never unplugged and plugged back in right away..maybe it was just luck but it's still working
    Last edited by hypersport; 03-16-15 at 12:27 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-15-15 10:39 PM
    I have the Z30 black screen issue and blackberry has offered to fix it. They have asked me for my PIN along with other information. I don't know my PIN and can't look it up on my Z30 because the screen doesn't work. Is there any other way to find my PIN?

Thanks, for any help.

Mark
    03-31-15 03:09 PM
    I have the Z30 black screen issue and blackberry has offered to fix it. They have asked me for my PIN along with other information. I don't know my PIN and can't look it up on my Z30 because the screen doesn't work. Is there any other way to find my PIN?

Thanks, for any help.

Mark
    If you still have the retail box it will contain the pin and imei.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 04:02 PM

Thanks, for any help.

Mark
    Remove the back cover of your Z30. The PIN is on the sticker label. I think you can also see it by logging into BlackBerry Protect or to AppWorld.
    03-31-15 04:06 PM
    Thanks, truekulcha and underway99

Mark

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 07:11 PM
    You are 100 percent correct.

I tried hard resetting more than 100 times now I guess, but no luck. Been more than 2 weeks since no display. Put on HDMI and everything works fine on TV screen. Do you think changing the screen would help in getting the display back on or not?
    Last edited by medarkid; 04-04-15 at 01:00 PM.
    04-04-15 12:22 PM
    Phone BlackBerry and get them to fix it if it's still under warranty

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 12:35 PM
    They've extended the warranty I think until April 15. There was an article on the front page of cb

Via CB10 Rockin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281
    04-04-15 12:39 PM
    Phone BlackBerry and get them to fix it if it's still under warranty

Posted via CB10
    Too bad the warranty is long gone. The phone has been working great since 2013.

So anybody knows if there's a slight chance replacing the screen would help resolve this problem? Because I get noti and all. Just no display.
    04-04-15 12:59 PM
    I tried hard resetting more than 100 times now I guess, but no luck. Been more than 2 weeks since no display. Put on HDMI and everything works fine on TV screen. Do you think changing the screen would help in getting the display back on or not?
    There is an extended warranty offered by BB. It was on the Main Page here at Crackberry. BB will repair/replace phones that suffered this problem. No COST.
    04-04-15 01:02 PM
    There is an extended warranty offered by BB. It was on the Main Page here at Crackberry. BB will repair/replace phones that suffered this problem. No COST.

BlackBerry offering extended limited warranty to some Z30 owners | CrackBerry.com
    04-04-15 01:04 PM
30 12