BlackBerry released it with a year old chipset and a very dim 720p screen on a 5" device at a premium price. Those right there that will really jump out at the consumer. I'm a tech enthusiast but a simple man could figure out that those all don't mix. The Z30 could make a good mid tier device but it wasn't priced accordingly.

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    Back on topic please.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 12:15 PM
    Maybe it just takes longer to fill in all those extra pixels

Let's take a look:

BlackBerry Z30: 295 pixels per inch
    HTC One: 468 PPI
    Nexus 5: 445 PPI
    Samsung Galaxy S4: 441PPI

Man, that is a hug difference. Maybe the so called "slower" phones would be faster at loading instagram pictures if they used a gameboy advance screen. Makes me wonder.
    With today's ADD society speed wins in everything.
    There's been plenty of studies online about the difference in ppi in phones. What sets the Z30 apart from the other phone screens is that it's a bit dim which is annoying, yes. I do agree that it should have been 300/350ppi like my Q10 since no one can tell the difference between my Q10 and S4 screen and for tech nerds to stop making up geek assumptions.

Geek assumptions on tech forums = bro science on bodybuilding.com...

The ppi 300-400/1080p vs 720p really makes no difference unless you are a couple of inches away from your screen. Normal people text/ look at stuff feet away from their face.

What your telling me is the last generation of ipad mini with 168ppi has an unreadable screen between that it was 7.9" but it actually looks better then most smartphone screens with 350+ppi today. = geek assumption

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 01-18-14 at 01:28 PM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-18-14 01:16 PM
    No way I'd do that. The z30 I'd already pretty outdated. 3 years it'll be ancient

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 likes this.
    01-18-14 01:21 PM
    No way I'd do that. The z30 I'd already pretty outdated. 3 years it'll be ancient

Posted via CB10
    Sure, because people who sign contracts get stuck with same phone for 3 years..... *rolleyes*
    Like we asked, it all depends on ETF.
    There is no way to get Z30 for cheaper ANYWHERE. So $0 is an amazing deal. You can easily sell it for $400. If the ETF is $250 you still make money. I would jump on a Z30 for $400. Would you jump on a LG G2 or Galaxy S4 for $400? No.. Because you can easily get it for cheaper with enough research or use carrier subsidy. Even with subsidy Z30 is $200 in USA now. If VZ offered it for $0 I would jump on it as well.
    CDM76 and CerveloJohn like this.
    01-18-14 01:39 PM
    With today's ADD society speed wins in everything.
    There's been plenty of studies online about the difference in ppi in phones. What sets the Z30 apart from the other phone screens is that it's a bit dim which is annoying, yes. I do agree that it should have been 300/350ppi like my Q10 since no one can tell the difference between my Q10 and S4 screen and for tech nerds to stop making up geek assumptions.

Geek assumptions on tech forums = bro science on bodybuilding.com...

The ppi 300-400/1080p vs 720p really makes no difference unless you are a couple of inches away from your screen. Normal people text/ look at stuff feet away from their face.

What your telling me is the last generation of ipad mini with 168ppi has an unreadable screen between that it was 7.9" but it actually looks better then most smartphone screens with 350+ppi today. = geek assumption

Posted via CB10
    Where I did I say anything about higher PPI did or didn't make a noticeable difference?

I just wondered if a Gameboy advance screen would increase loading speed of instagram pictures. That's all.
    01-18-14 02:42 PM
    Where I did I say anything about higher PPI did or didn't make a noticeable difference?

I just wondered if a Gameboy advance screen would increase loading speed of instagram pictures. That's all.

Let's take a look:

Man, that is a hug difference. Maybe the so called "slower" phones would be faster at loading instagram pictures if they used a gameboy advance screen. Makes me wonder.

You mentioned 295ppi vs the 400+ppi of androids, so yes you did mention it. You also got proved wrong once again..

You are always the troll on every thread talking about ppi's but in reality you have no idea what you are talking about and just get proved wrong every time..

Little fact: instagram loads faster in every way on my Q10then my buddies S4 with custom ROM and HTC One. While having lower "specs"
    The video camera on the other hand is a bit more glitchy on the Q10.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by khehl; 01-18-14 at 03:05 PM.
    01-18-14 02:54 PM
    You mentioned 295ppi vs the 400+ppi of androids, so yes you did mention it. You also got proved wrong once again..

You are always the troll on every thread talking (aj person too) about ppi's but in reality you have no idea what you are talking about and just get proved wrong every time..
    Posted via CB10
    For the record, he said it is a "huge difference" (which it is) but never said in would make a "noticeable difference". But IMO it is a noticeable difference. Compare the Z30 to an HTC One or even a GSIV and the difference is noticeable. It's not absolutely terrible but it's also definitely not what you would expect from a flagship-priced phone.

Saiga likes this.
    01-18-14 03:01 PM
    For the record, he said it is a "huge difference" (which it is) but never said in would make a "noticeable difference". But IMO it is a noticeable difference. Compare the Z30 to an HTC One or even a GSIV and the difference is noticeable. It's not absolutely terrible but it's also definitely not what you would expect from a flagship-priced phone.

That was a better answer I was looking for not someone just bashing Blackberry every chance they get. Which that is all I see that Saiga dude do in every forum but I usually keep my mouth shut.
    The price will drop a lot incoming months to mid-tier price probably anyways.

Other then I'm done :P carry on with the original conversation.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 03:05 PM
    Did anyone asked the OP how he uses a smartphone or what features are preferable?

Without that knowledge all these posts resemble a shop assistant at a carrier store trying to explain why his phone is the best.

Posted via CB10
    HaberNik and CDM76 like this.
    01-18-14 03:10 PM

You are always the troll on every thread talking about ppi's but in reality you have no idea what you are talking about and just get proved wrong every time..

Little fact: instagram loads faster in every way on my Q10then my buddies S4 with custom ROM and HTC One. While having lower "specs"
    The video camera on the other hand is a bit more glitchy on the Q10.
    Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry if what I said made you upset or annoyed, but I didn't say anything about higher or lower PPI making a difference as far as image quality goes. I only listed the pixel density of the screens. You can see for yourself in the original post which you quoted from me and hasn't been edited in anyway.

In case you weren't aware, this website does have an ignore feature. You can place users on ignore by clicking on their display picture, and then clicking on "Forum Profile" from the pop up window that is displayed. Once the user's profile has loaded, you'll see an option labeled as "Add to Ignore List" under their display pic. This feature is handy for when you'd rather not see forum posts from certain users and can make the forums more enjoyable to use.
    01-18-14 03:49 PM

Let's take a look:

It been well documented that once you exceed the maximum visual acuity of the human eye (I think around 300+ PPI at normal viewing distance) the extra pixels don't improve the perceived quality of the image anymore. So the higher PPI just cost you more with no real benefit.

However maybe it future-proofs the phone for when we all get bionic eye implants.... :-)

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    01-18-14 03:54 PM
    3 years is a long time... But considering I might have my Q10 for that long or maybe even longer, I'd get it.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    01-18-14 04:20 PM
    It been well documented that once you exceed the maximum visual acuity of the human eye (I think around 300+ PPI at normal viewing distance) the extra pixels don't improve the perceived quality of the image anymore. So the higher PPI just cost you more with no real benefit.

However maybe it future-proofs the phone for when we all get bionic eye implants.... :-)

Posted via CB10
    The number is highly disputed

01-18-14 04:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Simply not true and oft-debated. There is a reason why photo printers often print at a higher DPI than 300 (which is a print standard).

I immediately noticed the difference between the Z30 and my Q10. Pixelated icons were apparent in the Z30's icons. Even at a natural distance, I could see a difference.

People say the same thing about 1080p. Well just you wait for 8K television (makes 4K look like crap).
    01-19-14 09:49 AM
    I think it is odd that I can simply list the PPI of 4 smartphone screens, and that alone is enough to make someone claim that the higher PPI doesn't make a difference. You don't even have to claim that it does make a difference to be told otherwise.

If it really doesn't make a difference, then why do some people feel the need to jump immediately to defending the Z30's 295 PPI screen? If the Z30 had a 450+ PPI screen and the Nexus 5, HTC One and Galaxy S4 all had less than 300 PPI, would we see people jumping to prove other posters wrong for simply listing the PPI of the screens?

Who knows. Just an observation.
    ajst222 likes this.
    01-19-14 10:10 AM
    I'd rather pay full than be stuck for 3 whole years, unless you don't think you'll want the upcoming BlackBerry.
    01-19-14 10:19 AM
    I think it is odd that I can simply list the PPI of 4 smartphone screens, and that alone is enough to make someone claim that the higher PPI doesn't make a difference. You don't even have to claim that it does make a difference to be told otherwise.

If it really doesn't make a difference, then why do some people feel the need to jump immediately to defending the Z30's 295 PPI screen? If the Z30 had a 450+ PPI screen and the Nexus 5, HTC One and Galaxy S4 all had less than 300 PPI, would we see people jumping to prove other posters wrong for simply listing the PPI of the screens?

Who knows. Just an observation.
    Read this article about the PPI debate... the title says it all -"Tech's new most meaningless spec -ppi".

http://gizmodo.com/5960191/techs-new...gless-spec-ppi

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 11:12 AM
    Read this article about the PPI debate... the title says it all -"Tech's new most meaningless spec -ppi".

Tech's New Most Meaningless Spec: PPI

Posted via CB10
    I don't need that link, I'm still not claiming it does or doesen't make a difference. I'm only pointing out my observations and the oddness about the topic here.

For example, would you be posting that link right now if the Z30 had a 450+ PPI screen and the other smartphones had screens with less than 300? Honestly, would you be calling a high PPI meaningless if the BlackBerry Z30 had the highest PPI of any current flagship device instead of the lowest?

I remember before the Z10 launched and it held bragging rights when it came to PPI, the spec didn't seem meaningless around here then. I can clearly remember tons of people pointing out the fact that the Z10 had a higher pixel density than the retina display. It was mentioned constantly back then.

I personally do not care if is meaningless or not, I just think it is odd that so many people feel they need to call the spec meaningless now. That's all.
    ajst222 likes this.
    01-19-14 11:24 AM
    I also have about 2 years left on my Telus contract. I would not pay $600 early termination fee just to upgrade to a Z30. The features the Z30 brings over the Z10 is not worth that much money in my opinion. Rogers termination may be different.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 11:38 AM
    I would buy it in a heartbeat in fact I did, I had a Q on a 3 year, paid the device out and went with the Z30 on a 2 year. I'm baffled by the logic here that once your under a contract it's cheaper to buy another outright. With Telus, if you own your device outright your bill doesn't go down, you may as well take advantage of the fact your paying anyway. Paying the Q off ($400) helped me shorten my contract and get a better per month credit towards the device. As far as ppi, I've had all 3 of the first bb10 devices and the Z30's screen is on par regardless of spec released. I would still rank the Z10 as the best, Z30 second and the dimmest if them all, the Q last but they are all great. I have 20/20 vision and have yet to notice pixilated icons. Strange anyone else sees that! In the end I love BB10 and the new/freshness compared to others, and if you want the best BlackBerry device on the market (all touch) there isn't any question, the 30 is it. Just the battery alone is enough to ditch the 10. Loved my 10, absolutely hated the poor battery on it but everyone is aware of that issue!

Posted via CB10 on my sweet Z30!
    01-19-14 11:43 AM
    Of course I'm keeping the Q too, as it's the best BlackBerry qwerty out there! Just a quick observation, but isn't it just a device buyout and not an early termination fee? I'm sure if your renewing with Telus then it's simply a device buyout?

Posted via CB10 on my sweet Z30!
    01-19-14 11:47 AM
    Getting back to the original question of whether the three year term is a worthy trade off, from my Corp contract with Bell, I can upgrade at no cost after 18 months. Also, my Z30 was free on the three year contract, but it would have been only $49.00 for the two year contract. I would have paid that, but I then would have lost my existing unlimited data plan, and I really like being able to stream BBC 6 all day without worrying

Tapped and flicked from my BlackBerry Z30!
    01-19-14 11:35 PM
    Just paid 49.95 on a price match through Rogers, Telus dropped their price today....two year contract...whatever....Ill be looking for a new device in a year. three years is too long

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 08:03 PM
    Canada abolished 3 year contract in June of 2013. Where are you getting this illegal 3 year offering?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 08:46 PM
    Canada abolished 3 year contract in June of 2013. Where are you getting this illegal 3 year offering?

Posted via CB10

It is not illegal but they have no recourse after two years. So they could offer three years but after two can't charge you to leave your contact.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    01-24-14 09:58 PM
100 ... 234