A week ago I saw a paid commercial on cbc newsworld.

I agree with today's posts that there's something fishy happening in the marketing department when there's no promotion and no in-store spiff payback money to make the staff hustle the one specific product that needs to make its numbers now or else go down in history as the easiest bump up that didn't happen. Juicing new sales as well as tradeins seems so obvious and yet nobody has any evidence of it actually happening.

Here's some good news.

On two-year contracts in the carrier retail outlets I've seen the SGNOTE 3 at $299 and the z30 at $129. This is in Montreal now.
    manicstreet likes this.
    11-23-13 05:41 PM
    I made the exact same argument 9 months ago when the Z10 launched.
    That we can't say if the phone is worth its price, because it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

This was in february though, and thanks to the time span in between, we now know with the help of aggregated market data, that a vast majority of consumers aren't willing to pay the price BlackBerry demands for its phones.
    This is not subjective anymore, when BlackBerry has a marketshare of 1.5% with BB10 phones only being a part of these 1.5%

Posted via CB10
    Don't carriers set the prices?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-23-13 05:44 PM
    Carriers may set price, if BlackBerry lets them do that. This is the normal situation.

BlackBerry can intervene. BlackBerry can step-in and offer specific rebates or specials. BlackBerry can also negotiate something permanent and lower price (it'll cost BlackBerry to do so). And so on.

Hope this helps.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-23-13 09:15 PM
    Don't carriers set the prices?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using CB Forums mobile app
    Nice way to change the subject.
    See the response above this one.

If BlackBerry wants to sell more phones, this works through a lower price.
    This is the case because the demand is the thing that limits BlackBerry's ability to sell more phones, not its supply.

They have 1 billion dollars worth of unsold inventory with the Z10. So clearly the supply of BlackBerry's products isn't the problem.
    This means that BlackBerry has to find a new price of equilibrium, where the supply matches the demand.
    This happens through an adjustment of price, because the demand is price elastic.
    ^
    This is the reason for BlackBerry's firesale of the PlayBook and the Z10.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_equilibrium

Carphone Warehouse, a UK retailer, sells the Z10 for as low as 179 pounds without a contract.
    If that doesn't help to move the devices, pretty much nothing can.
    And this is also the reason why I really have to wonder how BlackBerry can even try to sell the Z30 for its current price.
    After the PlayBook and the Z10 (even though I think nothing tops the Q5 in terms of being overpriced) BlackBerry should have learned something from their past experiences...

We now add the concept of the cross-price elasticity (of demand).
    It can measure how a price cut or increase of price from one product, influences the numbers sold of another product.
    Since a Samsung Galaxy S4 and a BlackBerry Z30 are so called substitutes, the price of both products will influence the demand for the other one.

To say it more simply:
    A higher price of the Z30 will help Samsung to sell more S4's.
    This is the case because the Z30 is perceived as an inferior product compared to the S4 or generally speaking, that every high-end Android is perceived as being superior.
    ^
    We saw that already with the Z10, which got introduced for the same price as a Samsung S3 or a HTC One.
    IT DIDN'T WORK!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_p...city_of_demand

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 11-23-13 at 09:43 PM.
    xxh, Davidro1 and anon6040766 like this.
    11-23-13 09:31 PM
    I was in a Verizon store in Chicago today and was pleasantly surprised. They had working models of the z30, q10, and z10, all nicely displayed toward the front of the store. Based on all the stories, I was expecting not to see any BlackBerry phones, or maybe one buried in the back.

While I was looking at the z30, the clerk offered some generic information and told me how good the battery life was. It wasn't a resounding sales pitch, but at least she wasn't pointing me toward the iPhone.

I asked her how they were selling and she just said they had sold a few.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 09:54 PM
    Because after seeing by how damn much they overestimated the demand for the Z10, they surely did limit the supply by a far margin, compared to their other phone.

I mean seriously, BlackBerry didn't even launch the Z30 correctly and if I would have to say anything about their advertisement strategy, it won't be friendly.
    Heck, these donks at BlackBerry even decided that they can launch the Z30 for higher prices than what the whole competition demands for smartphones with more or less 5 inches, even though the hardware clearly is inferior.
    If I include the ecosystem and app catalogue, it just gets even more embarrassing...

The whole strategical approach towards this phone, has yet again been abysmal...

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 was probably in write off mode on launch day, no need to waste money on advertising for a DOA product and when the company was for sale. Consider the much lower number of units that would have been produced compared to the Z10, there probably isn't enough product to even support a big advertising campaign. The primary consumers who will be buying them are the already long standing diehard BB users, advertising isn't required to sell to us.
    Compare with the launches of the newest gaming consoles, PlayStation last week and Xbox this weekend, each of those will likely have sold more units over the first 3 days, than the BB will sell of Z30's ... in forever.

The new BlackBerry team is in a pretty tough spot to maintain the brand. It seems like they are going to be relying heavily on BB10 OS updates to get the existing BB10 phones seamlessly compatible with Android apps. Then hope that will lead to selling off the remaining inventory of phones, using that as a base to keep the brand alive and keep building the OS awareness and capability within the Android user ranks, before possibly launching a new BB10 phone sometime later in 2014.
    andy957 likes this.
    11-24-13 02:43 AM
    It's very sad that they have that many unsold Z10's because it's such a great device. One of the main reasons is because many people didn't even know it existed. Still today many people say to me I didn't even know BlackBerry made all new devices and it's going on a year after the launch SMH

Posted Via CB10 From My AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-24-13 10:37 AM
    I'm also wondering why the US carriers still haven't brought down the price of the Q10? I still see it for $199 with a contract . It should be more like $99 at this point. Z10's are free now thru many carriers. I personally think the Z10 has much more upside then the Q10 does. I don't see me ever going back to a physical keyboard especially because the Z10 's keyboard is so great.

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-24-13 10:42 AM
    I'm also wondering why the US carriers still haven't brought down the price of the Q10? I still see it for $199 with a contract . It should be more like $99 at this point. Z10's are free now thru many carriers. I personally think the Z10 has much more upside then the Q10 does. I don't see me ever going back to a physical keyboard especially because the Z10 's keyboard is so great.

I'm thinking it's because the Q10 might actually be selling compared to the Z10??

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 11:55 AM
    I would like to see some solid numbers on the z30 sell through.

The lack of marketing is utterly disgusting

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque and andy957 like this.
    11-24-13 12:12 PM
    I'm thinking it's because the Q10 might actually be selling compared to the Z10??
    Ummm, no. You might be thinking that but it wouldn't be why. Unfortunately, saying the Q10 is selling compared to the Z10 is like saying the Lusitania is in better shape than the Titanic because it's in shallower water.

In the world that BBRY tried to operate in, neither phone sold at all, basically. I'm sorry to say it because I think it's likely a decent phone but Z30 sales numbers next month are going to send a shock wave through BBRY fan central.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    11-24-13 07:42 PM
    Im a BB field market rep.
    In my area, one of the local dealers told all their employees they would give them ANY PHONE they chose, if they sold THREE Z10 in a months time.
    No one got their free phone.
    I sold three... on my own, while in their stores. I... I just... I dont even... what?!

I could sell three old CURVES to people if youre giving me free phones to do it!
    andy957 and Loc22 like this.
    11-24-13 09:51 PM
    We never even got them at my store (a verizon retailer) we did really good with the Z10 as a store, but apparently nationwide the sales were pretty bad. I don't think we will be getting it which is a shame, but if the amounts of them out there are true maybe they just can't get enough to push out to their stores.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 01:09 AM
    This device needs some marketing asap

Posted via CB10
    Loc22 and CDM76 like this.
    11-25-13 03:09 PM
    I was hoping that we'd see some marketing after the changes that took place earlier this month but it hasn't happened yet.

In India BB's market share is now under 1%. Marketing won't increase it significantly overnight but at least it will get people asking for the device and gradually build up demand.
    11-25-13 09:22 PM
    I was hoping that we'd see some marketing after the changes that took place earlier this month but it hasn't happened yet.

In India BB's market share is now under 1%. Marketing won't increase it significantly overnight but at least it will get people asking for the device and gradually build up demand.
    Can't expect anything so soon from Chen.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 10:52 PM
    Im a BB field market rep.
    If Verizon had stock, they would sell these units. I'm stuck with a BB on life support, desperately needing to replace, and expecting it will be a Z30, but the fact that no local stores stock it, and they won't even order it in the store ("go online and order") just sucks. ***-backwards from any income-generating marketing plan for any company, regardless of the manufacturer's woes.

Reach out to me if you have some solutions that might help a guy in a bind.

Thanks.
    11-26-13 02:03 PM
    I was at my local Verizon store today getting my number switched over to my new Z30. He said he thought it was a nice phone and was considering getting one to use for work. He knew about being able to install Android APKs in the next OS release and thought that was great.

It's nice to see at least a couple of my local VZW reps actually know about the Z30 and think well of it.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    mrfreeze likes this.
    11-26-13 02:13 PM
    My friends 2 year old daughter was on YouTube yesterday and I overheard the audio of what she was watching. It was a video ad for BES 10.1. I checked what she had searched and it was playing before a video about play doh. Poorly targeted? Or trying to reach possible IT managers through their kids?

Posted via CB10 on my Z30 (STA100-5 / 10.2.1.1055)
    Loc22 likes this.
    11-29-13 03:05 AM
    Can't expect anything so soon from Chen.

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough. Hopefully we'll see something in a month or two.
    11-29-13 04:20 AM
    I would like to see some solid numbers on the z30 sell through.

The lack of marketing is utterly disgusting

Posted via CB10
    If the number is one device or five million, how does this effect your experience or opinion in BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 05:22 AM
    If the number is one device or five million, how does this effect your experience or opinion in BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    For me, it doesn't affect it in the least. I did my research, had experience with the other 3 major platforms, and knew the Z30 was what I wanted.

I have not been disappointed. Actually, it has exceeded my expectations.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    11-29-13 08:12 AM
    I got my Z30 at the Rogers store on Queen Street in downtown Toronto two days ago.
    I had pre-ordered it two weeks before. Of course, Rogers has none in their stores.
    The rep knew what Z30 was but he said that they did not have any in the store. I told him that I had received a phone call to pick it up there.
    Then he took it out of the drawer and gave it to me.
    I took it, paid and walked out.
    So, how does one expect that any will be sold, except to those who know about it?
    Yesterday I looked for phone protection at Rogers and the Source. None of them have any accessory for Z30.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 10:10 AM
    Telus stores have many cases. Some of the Telus stores.
    Also, look what I found on Bell.ca:
    http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Products...ccessories.tab
    tons of accessories.
    But, I think it's unrealistic to expect that stores shall have all these.
    You have to buy on line or go to the store that has them.

I got my Z30 at ...
    .... expect that any will be sold, except to those who know about it?
    Yesterday I looked for phone protection at Rogers and the Source. None of them have any accessory for Z30.
    Yes, I agree that most newbies won't find out about it. The z30 is a well-kept secret.
    Last edited by Davidro1; 11-29-13 at 02:41 PM.
    11-29-13 01:17 PM
    Price just dropped $0 dollars at Bell Canada on the two plan !!! the phone is AWSOME !!! I've had it for a month now and can't put it down !!! Go get if your on the fence in Canda/Toronto
    11-29-13 01:33 PM
182 ... 45678