My brother who uses a Samsung Galaxy S5 sent me a video earlier through Whatsapp. The video was 1:42 long and was only 14mb and still looked pretty clear...I know when i shoot video on my Z30, anything over 17 seconds is already around 16mb which doesn't allow to be sent via Whatsapp...I guess my question is, how can i take longer video on my Z30 while still keeping a low mb file to be able to send???
    02-08-15 03:47 PM
    I don't know if you can just from the phone. I think if you shoot a vid and then save it off to your PC and compress it you might be able to change the size. It's a great question. I hope someone has an answer.
    02-08-15 04:02 PM
    Unfortunately, BB10 doesn't offer a way to adjust the recording resolution of the video camera, like you could in the legacy devices.
    • Your only option is to take the video, load it on to a computer, and then re-encode the video in a lower rez, higher compression, or lower bit-rate to create a smaller file sized video.
    • Then transfer the video back to your device to send.

There are a few freeware programs to do that for Windows PC's.

Trying to archive-compress the video, like with Zip or RAR, wont really help much in file size reduction, as the compression formats of the archive programs can't further compress the video file's compression it already was encoded in. Basically, as the video is created by the device, it is encoded with a fairly tight compression ratio already by the hardware. Sometimes a zipped video is a little bit larger in file size than when it is unzipped.
    02-08-15 04:30 PM
    For a FOSS app, try the android app "open camera"

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2243
    thebum23 likes this.
    02-08-15 04:54 PM
    There an app - Video Shrinker in BBWorld.

Someone else mentioned Video Compressor - an android app.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-08-15 05:32 PM
    For a FOSS app, try the android app "open camera"

While it hurts that there is no built in setting for this option on the phone, this app with the right video resolution seems to work well...Thanks for the tip!
    02-09-15 10:50 AM
    Are you using 1080 or 720 to record?

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    02-09-15 11:23 AM
    While it hurts that there is no built in setting for this option on the phone, this app with the right video resolution seems to work well...Thanks for the tip!
    Glad to help
    One more tip with open camera, which is actually the reason I was looking for the app to begin with

Bb10 camera can't record video if media is playing etc. Open camera can

02-09-15 11:33 AM
    I had the same problem on my Q5, so I developed an app called Longviz that allows you to record longer videos but with a quality less than 720p. So there is no compression since the video is recorded with a quality like 480p. You can find that on the BB App World.

Regards

marco
    ajakubin likes this.
    08-25-15 10:40 AM
    Like someone else mentioned, I just use "Video Shrinker" in BlackBerry World. This way I can have a hi-rez original for saving, and a reduced/compressed one for sending. You can see the estimated resulting file size as you select the output quality.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 10:51 AM
    So actually I've been using this free app from Snap called "OPEN CAMERA" which works pretty well. I will however check out your app, Marco and see how it compares...Thanks.
    08-25-15 10:59 AM
    I had the same problem on my Q5, so I developed an app called Longviz that allows you to record longer videos but with a quality less than 720p. So there is no compression since the video is recorded with a quality like 480p. You can find that on the BB App World.

Regards

marco
    Just installed your app on my Z30 and feel like i wasted my money First of all, if you switch to the front camera, it's upside down that's my first issue. The 2nd is, pretty much anytime i try opening the app, it goes into idle mode or whatever and i cannot really get it to work. How can i get a refund on this?
    08-25-15 11:21 AM
    Guys, "Video Shrinker" is a "Built for BlackBerry" native app that works well. I have no affiliation to the app, but have been using it to send videos through all kinds of messaging types.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 11:32 AM
    Just installed your app on my Z30 and feel like i wasted my money First of all, if you switch to the front camera, it's upside down that's my first issue. The 2nd is, pretty much anytime i try opening the app, it goes into idle mode or whatever and i cannot really get it to work. How can i get a refund on this?
    I'm a little surprised because that app has 21 reviews and 5 stars. Maybe the dev can solve your issues.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 11:44 AM
    Record from within whatsapp itself. When you select send a video and get the file selection menu, choose camera. Pretty sure this does the trick.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 11:55 AM

Regards

marco
    For those interested

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=US

refund

https://consumersupport.webapps.blac...rce/main?ln=en
    08-25-15 12:26 PM