I don't swap in new batteries in the middle of the day, so I don't care about that. However, I do like to upgrade a battery once the capacity starts failing.

I have changed batteries on older iPods with out too much problem. It takes a few minutes, but not a big deal. Not something you can do everyday, but easy enough for an upgrade.

And iPod touch I tried was soldered and I ended up ruining the device.

So, the question is, does anyone know if a user that is comfortable with a screwdriver can replace the battery in 20 minutes or less?

With 25 hours of battery life, that is all thay should matter to most people.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 08:37 AM
    Good question that I think is on the minds of many CBers! Lets see if anyone knows
    09-24-13 08:43 AM
    I believe it is soldered to the board. If that isn't intimidating to you then it's probably possible to replace. If that's not intimidating to you then I am also very impressed

Posted via CB10
    sayf777 likes this.
    09-24-13 12:07 PM
    I believe it is soldered to the board. If that isn't intimidating to you then it's probably possible to replace. If that's not intimidating to you then I am also very impressed

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 12:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Like I said, I tried to replace a soldered battery on an iPod, didn't go very well. I can solder, but not well for such small contacts.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 03:13 PM
    Sorry for the bump, but has anyone tried removing the back (9 screws) to see if the battery is soldered on or not with regards to the production model?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 05:37 PM
    Perhaps Z30 do as what they advertising now hehe

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 07:00 PM
    Perhaps it's something like the Q5 battery fitment ... here's a link to a Vietnamese teardown of a Q5... I'm sure there'll be a Z30 teardown before too long.

http://bbvietnam.com/threads/mo-may-...iet-nam.15146/

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 07:46 PM
    The iPhone is a plug type and you can damage it easily. I don't recommend it at all if it to be used to switch batteries on the fly.
    10-03-13 08:23 PM
    The iPhone is a plug type and you can damage it easily. I don't recommend it at all if it to be used to switch batteries on the fly.
    True, but maybe after a year (or longer) as the battery degrades as the OP mentioned , instead of having to send the phone in, if it's not soldered on and can be pulled out (like the X00 preproduction model) it'll be better.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 10:43 PM
    Reality will tell us that before your battery's memory start losing its capacitance, you are probably looking for another new model...

These phones' manufacturers wouldn't rest...

Posted via Z10
    10-04-13 01:30 AM
    I guess you'll replace your phone before the battery starts failing. So nothing to worry about.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 05:50 AM
    True, but maybe after a year (or longer) as the battery degrades as the OP mentioned , instead of having to send the phone in, if it's not soldered on and can be pulled out (like the X00 preproduction model) it'll be better.

Posted via CB10
    But the way these new batteries are lasting, plus the size of the Z30 battery, plus the way we're replacing phones like it's a pair of pants. I don't think it will be an issue. I wonder where to even buy the battery. I'm sure Blackberry won't offer it over the counter like all the others. And buying aftermarket is useless. Might as well leave the old one in there since it might give longer battery life.
    10-04-13 06:49 AM
    But the way these new batteries are lasting, plus the size of the Z30 battery, plus the way we're replacing phones like it's a pair of pants. I don't think it will be an issue. I wonder where to even buy the battery. I'm sure Blackberry won't offer it over the counter like all the others. And buying aftermarket is useless. Might as well leave the old one in there since it might give longer battery life.
    Parts store will sell it I suspect
    10-04-13 12:36 PM
    Some of us upgrade often, but then some are still using old 9700s etc. Also, people like me rely on selling an old phone to help buy a new one. That is aided when you can put in a new battery.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 05:56 PM
    I don't swap in new batteries in the middle of the day, so I don't care about that. However, I do like to upgrade a battery once the capacity starts failing.

I have changed batteries on older iPods with out too much problem. It takes a few minutes, but not a big deal. Not something you can do everyday, but easy enough for an upgrade.

And iPod touch I tried was soldered and I ended up ruining the device.
    So, the question is, does anyone know if a user that is comfortable with a screwdriver can replace the battery in 20 minutes or less?

With 25 hours of battery life, that is all thay should matter to most people.

Posted via CB10
    The PlayBook was considered to have a "non-removable" battery as well and I've replaced two so far averaging about 10min. Before my daughter got a "quality" DAP I had to replace her iPod Touch battery, and with a good solder wand it went well, easily under your time requirement. Just be patient and have steady hands. I doubt the Z30 will be much different, but we'll see.
    10-09-13 10:16 AM
    Old thread but I thought I'd chime in since I found this extremely helpful picture set:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...photos-885271/
    rayzian and ezapper2 like this.
    02-07-14 06:32 PM