My Z10 is giving me some problems and I want to let my contract expire in July, so I want to get an unlocked phone. I was just going to get another Z10, bur I've located a Z30 that's locked to Telus (I'm with Bell).

What's the going price to unlock a Z30?

What's a good price for a new Z30 but not unlocked?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-25-14 05:48 PM
    Depends on where you get the code from, I'd say something between 20-30$.

And a new z30 locked I'd say around 325-350?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 05:52 PM
    If the person selling you the phone is the original owner they can unlock it with their carrier for approx $40. They need to call customer service with the IMEI number and answer some basic questions.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 06:19 PM
    Depends on where you get the code from, I'd say something between 20-30$.

And a new z30 locked I'd say around 325-350?

Posted via CB10
    Thanks dna47.

So with the phone being locked when I buy it is there anyway to know for sure whether it is working and not blocked in anyway? If the phone was unlocked I could just slip my current sim in a check, but because it's locked to Telus o can't do that.

10-25-14 06:56 PM
    Thanks dna47.

So with the phone being locked when I buy it is there anyway to know for sure whether it is working and not blocked in anyway?
    You could try this, if you have the phone's IMEI: Check the Status of Your Device in Canada | Protect Your Data. Protect Yourself.

But there's always a down stream risk with used devices. I've seen people sell phones, then report them stolen; end result: buyer ends up with a brick. Also, if a phone is being paid of monthly and the original owner stops making payments, the carriers blacklist phones for that reason as well (this may not be a common scenario in Canada.)
    10-25-14 07:10 PM
    You could try this, if you have the phone's IMEI: Check the Status of Your Device in Canada | Protect Your Data. Protect Yourself.

But there's always a down stream risk with used devices. I've seen people sell phones, then report them stolen; end result: buyer ends up with a brick. Also, if a phone is being paid of monthly and the original owner stops making payments, the carriers blacklist phones for that reason as well (this may not be a common scenario in Canada.)
    Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware that service existed.

The Z30 that I'm looking at is supposedly new and never used. The whole Kijiji thing worries me a bit though. Just because something hasn't been reported stolen yet or isn't on that list yet doesn't stop anyone from adding it later.

10-25-14 07:36 PM
    Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware that service existed.

The Z30 that I'm looking at is supposedly new and never used. The whole Kijiji thing worries me a bit though. Just because something hasn't been reported stolen yet or isn't on that list yet doesn't stop anyone from adding it later.

You never know on kijiji, got a Z10 last year the guy made some calls in front of me everything was fine the phone was supposed to be new, got it unlocked to find out that the phone was blacklisted, 235 bucks for a paper weight!

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 08:37 PM
    You never know on kijiji, got a Z10 last year the guy made some calls in front of me everything was fine the phone was supposed to be new, got it unlocked to find out that the phone was blacklisted, 235 bucks for a paper weight!

Posted via CB10
    The same thing happened to me but with Ebay. I almost lost $280.00 bit thank god the my bank refunded me the money. I would not recommend anybody to buy a phone on ebay or kijjii.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 09:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    And basically there's no way to stop that since the phone can be added to the blacklist after you buy it.

10-25-14 11:02 PM
    The same thing happened to me but with Ebay. I almost lost $280.00 bit thank god the my bank refunded me the money. I would not recommend anybody to buy a phone on ebay or kijjii.

Posted via CB10
    EBay buyer protection wouldn't help you under those circumstances?

10-25-14 11:03 PM
    16.00 taxes in at unlockmenow.ca

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    crazigee likes this.
    10-25-14 11:12 PM
    EBay buyer protection wouldn't help you under those circumstances?

EBay can help but within the 45 days established by by PayPal. The phone was blacklisted after the 45 days period so PayPal could not do anything. Thank God to my bank, I was able to get the money back.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 11:29 PM
    EBay can help but within the 45 days established by by PayPal. The phone was blacklisted after the 45 days period so PayPal could not do anything. Thank God to my bank, I was able to get the money back.
    I'm glad your bank stepped up and took care of it.

When it's blacklisted it just stops working and there's nothing you can do?
    10-26-14 12:08 AM
    16.00 taxes in at unlockmenow.ca
    Thanks for the link.
    Carjackd likes this.
    10-26-14 12:10 AM
    It stops working on the carrier it's branded to, and if there's blacklist sharing between carriers (which I'm sure there is,) then the phone won't work on other carriers either.
    10-26-14 12:46 AM
    It stops working on the carrier it's branded to, and if there's blacklist sharing between carriers (which I'm sure there is,) then the phone won't work on other carriers either.
    Wow. I guess that's good if the phone is really stolen. Sucks if the person just adds it out of spite after selling it.

10-26-14 10:39 AM
    I'm glad your bank stepped up and took care of it.

Yes nothing can be done if blacklisted. The only option is to send it to a different country.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 12:21 PM
    Wow. I guess that's good if the phone is really stolen. Sucks if the person just adds it out of spite after selling it.
    Oh, it's rarely out of spite. Insurance fraud is more often the reason.
    crazigee likes this.
    10-26-14 01:19 PM
    Oh, it's rarely out of spite. Insurance fraud is more often the reason.
    Yeah basically any illegitimate reason.

10-26-14 08:24 PM
    Is there a mater timer on BB10? Like there was on BBOS, where the user couldn't reset it. If I do go through with the purchase I basically want to know if there is a way to be sure this person hasn't used the phone for a few months and it really is brand new as claimed.
    10-27-14 12:07 AM
    Go on ebay. Cheapest way
    10-27-14 12:13 AM
    By the way, why would someone blacklist it after they sold it?

Posted via CB1.8.2.0
    10-27-14 03:54 AM

Posted via CB1.8.2.0
    They report it stolen and the insurance on their credit card pays for a new one.
    10-27-14 09:05 AM
    So is there a Master Timer on the Z30? Like the BUYR on a BBOS phone?
    10-27-14 09:06 AM
    There can be many reasons:

1. Insurance fraud: seller reports the phone as lost/stolen, gets more money for the phone
    2. Seller bought phone on a payment plan, stops making payments on the phone (not very often because it can potentially ruin the seller's credit--but it happens.)
    3. Seller gets seller's remorse (thinks he sold the phone for less than he should have,) tries to extort buyer, then finally reports phone as stolen out of spite. A variation of #1, but there may or may not be an insurance payout involved.
    4. Phone was already stolen, but not yet blocked when sold. Seller/thief sold it within the time it was not blacklisted.
    10-27-14 09:17 AM