I am intrigued by Mobile Hotspot on the Z30. How well is it working in your experience. Is it fast enough to connect my laptop at home or at a place with no Wi-Fi and do some extensive browsing?

I currently use Verizon Wireless, still have my unlimited data.

TIA
    Last edited by LonelyTylenoL; 03-11-14 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Add last sentence.
    03-11-14 02:08 PM
    I am intrigued by Mobile Hotspot on the Z30. How well is it working in your experience. Is it fast enough to connect my laptop at home or at a place with no Wi-Fi and do some extensive browsing?

TIA

I don't know about the Z30 specifically because I don't own one yet but the hotspot feature on my Z10s works quite well and has very good performance. This is from someone in the networking business, so I am fairly picky about such things.

I've used mine with laptops and tablets and other mobile devices.

The Z30 should be at least as good.

Of course your carrier's internet service needs to be good if you want devices using the hotspot to get good performance. I use Verizon LTE.
    03-11-14 02:13 PM
    Mine works great. It runs 2 PC's at home along with a couple ipod touch's. My Q works just as good. I no longer have wifi, I just use my hot spot.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 02:30 PM
    No problems whatsoever. My Z30 works as a hotspot as expected.

Sent from my PlayBook using Tapatalk2
    03-11-14 02:35 PM
    Hot spot works flawless, fast and easy setup and will very nearly cover my entire house

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 02:42 PM
    It rocks...

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 06:06 PM
    I ran the Z10 Hotspot with 1-2Bars of VZW 4G LTE and it was pretty damn fast and consistent. I was connected to work through VPN and, despite a little lag, most systems worked well.

This was during a 4-day power outage after an ice storm (I have a stand by generator, but cable and Internet were down).

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 06:20 PM

I currently use Verizon Wireless, still have my unlimited data.

TIA
    Just a FYI, if you do activate the Hotspot feature through Verizon, you will loose the Unlimited Data plan.
    03-11-14 06:41 PM
    I've been using also since I don't have a wifi at home. It's pretty consistent if you have the signal strength. It's pretty rock solid. I five it two thumbs up.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 07:29 PM
    Just a FYI, if you do activate the Hotspot feature through Verizon, you will loose the Unlimited Data plan.
    Not true at all... I activated and deactivated it through the My Verizon app and nothing else changed. They just charge you the pro rated $30/month feature charge or whatever it is.

It's structured as a "feature" which customers are allowed to modify without affecting their service contract.

Posted via CB10
    LonelyTylenoL and DaFoxGrey like this.
    03-11-14 08:39 PM
    as long as you are within the mobile network area with good signal strength then you should be able to get connected. in terms of speed, well, the wifi speed of the mobile hotspot is capped at 65Mbps under the wifi b/g but the true throughput speed is solely dependent on the network though, can't tell too much.

but i've ever had a funny one here. one day i had to send an email outside hence i needed a mobile hotspot. i went to use my Lumia to be the hotspot and for some reason even though it was connected but i couldn't actually get to the net. sick of trying, i fired up my Z30's mobile hotspot and in under a minute, all my emails were sent through and my job was all done! very funny ha, 2 phones, running the same Telstra network on H+. and after like 10 minutes suddenly the Lumia's hotspot went back to live.. migosh..
    03-11-14 11:58 PM
    Not true at all... I activated and deactivated it through the My Verizon app and nothing else changed. They just charge you the pro rated $30/month feature charge or whatever it is.

It's structured as a "feature" which customers are allowed to modify without affecting their service contract.

Posted via CB10
    Ah, I see that now.... looks like they changed the terms from what they had before; Add hotspot/loose unlimited.
    03-12-14 05:00 AM
    I also have unlimited data with Verizon and unlimited MHS.

It works FLAWLESSLY on the Z30. Fastest speeds I've gotten on any hotspot (including dedicated models).

It's also RELIABLE. Connections don't drop, you don't have weird issues with data just stops working like with lots of Android phones.

I think part of this is when using MHS BlackBerry 10 doesn't allow radio sleep. It's a setting in escreen that I noticed.

You can connect 8 devices and also choose to allow the connected devices to see each other on the network or not (client isolation).

Let me know if you have additional questions. I highly recommend it!

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-12-14 07:32 AM