12-02-13 05:49 AM
37 12
tools
    Guys! Sorry, if it's been discussed before. Also, I realize this topic is kinda childish and immature, but still - we are all children when it comes to new gadgets, aren't we? So, I hope you'll forgive me for this...

The question is - How do you deal with the scratches on your new device, that you just bought and fell in love with?

I got a minor scratch on the silver band downside of my brand new Z30. It's a hairline thick. I can only see it if I look at some particular angle very carefully. Frankly, it's almost invisible, but the fact that it's there drives me nuts. Well, not so much after a couple of days, but still. I have no idea how it got there, but what bothers me is that it's there to stay.

I admit, I'm kinda taking it too close to my heart. It's just a freaking phone afterall. And probably in a year I will buy a new BlackBerry Z50 (or whaterver it will be). Perhaps, in a couple of days more I will forget about it at all. And will even ditch my leather pouch which is protecting Z30 right now. But until then, it'd be nice to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Feel free to laugh at me. I deserve it.
    Last edited by antikorr; 10-28-13 at 03:25 AM.
    howards likes this.
    10-28-13 03:06 AM
    Oh I can relate!!!! I got a scratch on the screen of my brand new Z10 one month after I got it. Fairly large and easily visible. I've learned to just live with it, but I wasn't happy.
    rolandseh and antikorr like this.
    10-28-13 03:11 AM
    Will edit thanks, and I have a chip on top corner of my z10! Have to get a z30 now
    antikorr likes this.
    10-28-13 03:13 AM
    Be happy. The inevitable has occurred so now you can relax and treat it like a tool instead of a child.
    antikorr likes this.
    10-28-13 03:17 AM
    Be happy. The inevitable has occurred so now you can relax and treat it like a tool instead of a child.
    Yep, that's what I hope will happen soon. Usually it's the most painful period - when you carry your brand new device and cherish it like something very precious, but once it's been dropped and scratched you start using it like a tool. So, at first it's the most fragile thing on Earth but after a while you're ready to hammer nails with it. People (me included) are weird. )))
    acecard and zocster like this.
    10-28-13 03:21 AM
    My child got stung by a bee yesterday, so I put a screen protector on him.
    10-28-13 04:13 AM
    I get mad and sell it
    Buy me a new one.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 04:15 AM
    My Z10 looks like it was used at a Taliban training camp. Only good thing about it is that the phone is tougher than I expected.

Posted via CB10
    Gatmyer likes this.
    10-28-13 09:16 AM
    I had my Z10 for about two days before I dropped it beside my bed and it hit frame and dented the bottom right corner. It hurt my heart. Lol
    R7abb, howards and jevinzac like this.
    10-28-13 09:22 AM
    Z10 got a little scratch on the screen, learned to live with it now :P

I'd say get another one, so it doesn't feel lonely

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 09:25 AM
    OCD too.. I have the slightest dimple mark on the bottom of my new Z30. Don't know how it got there but it's nudging me every now and then. Then I thought, "Hey, let it be my Z30's unique identifier". Still.... learning to accept it...

Posted via my Z30! Awesome power!
    10-28-13 02:03 PM
    My z10 took a fall a few weeks ago and skidded across the pavement, luckily for me it was in the microfiber pouch. Ended up with a big chunk on the top left corner and a small chunk from the right side.

Pretty upset but the phone works. First time I've ever dropped a phone and looking at some of the comments, the screen seems to scratch pretty easy so not sure if I'll get a z30 yet until better cases come out.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 02:56 PM
    Guys! Sorry, if it's been discussed before. Also, I realize this topic is kinda childish and immature, but still - we are all children when it comes to new gadgets, aren't we? So, I hope you'll forgive me for this...

The question is - How do you deal with the scratches on your new device, that you just bought and fell in love with?

I got a minor scratch on the silver band downside of my brand new Z30. It's a hairline thick. I can only see it if I look at some particular angle very carefully. Frankly, it's almost invisible, but the fact that it's there drives me nuts. Well, not so much after a couple of days, but still. I have no idea how it got there, but what bothers me is that it's there to stay.

I admit, I'm kinda taking it too close to my heart. It's just a freaking phone afterall. And probably in a year I will buy a new BlackBerry Z50 (or whaterver it will be). Perhaps, in a couple of days more I will forget about it at all. And will even ditch my leather pouch which is protecting Z30 right now. But until then, it'd be nice to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Feel free to laugh at me. I deserve it.
    You could sell it to me and buy a brand spanking new one, scratch free

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 11:15 PM
    Zagg protects all my phones and Playbooks...after 5 years they all look like they just came out of the box...when you peel off the skins...

Trusted Member Genius
    10-29-13 09:42 AM
    Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance in rapid succession.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry, eldricho and antikorr like this.
    10-29-13 10:20 AM
    I usually get extremely angry, pick it up, and get more angry.

I then head home afterwards, and start searching for "OEM" housing replacements and video tutorials on how to disassemble the device in question.

Then, I never end up ordering any housing and I just deal with it as the "drop" floodgates open up.

Posted via CB10
    eldricho and antikorr like this.
    10-29-13 10:28 AM
    I've had my Z10 since February, no screen protector, just the BlackBerry Transform Shell. Not a single scratch or defect on the screen or elseshere.

I guess I do baby it, but not overly so. Usually I'll carry it in my trouser back pocket or my jacket pocket if it's not in my hand.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 12:27 PM
    Knowing myself, and being similarly picky about scratches, I have learned over time to (A) immediately install a screen protector and (B) immediately buy a protective case.

I'm OCD (no really, I actually am), so I know how nuts a scratch can drive a person. I have trained myself over time on how to only concern myself with the variables I can immediately control. One such variable is to - ALWAYS PROTECT THE SCREEN, first and foremost. Then I learned how that is pretty much the only part of the phone I can completely protect from scratches, making it easier to deal with scratches that may occur elsewhere on the device; so long as the screen is perfect - I'm mostly okay with that.

Took a long time for me to teach myself this, but it works to relieve the stress I used to experience associated with damage to my favorite toys, BlackBerry's.

Peace

Posted via CB10
    howards likes this.
    10-29-13 03:36 PM
    Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance in rapid succession.

Posted via CB10
    I have had the Kubler/Ross scenario myself . . . But I had run my Z10 over with the mower!!! Sold it for a mint used one on Ebay.

SQN 100-4 v10.2.0.1761
    10-29-13 06:10 PM
    Finally it happened. I dropped my Z30 on a concrete floor. Got two pretty severe nicks. So, now I'm using it bare. No more case needed. Freedom at last. )))))))

But still my Z30 looks so god damn sexy!

Can't wait for Z50 though.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 04:11 AM
    Finally it happened. I dropped my Z30 on a concrete floor. Got two pretty severe nicks. So, now I'm using it bare. No more case needed. Freedom at last. )))))))

But still my Z30 looks so god damn sexy!

Can't wait for Z50 though.

Posted via CB10

Everyone secretly hopes for the moment where their new device becomes "un new". At first, they're p!ssed but then they realize they no longer need to baby it.
    Just Me and antikorr like this.
    12-01-13 07:28 AM
    I would first cry then buy another one!

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 08:13 AM
    I say scratch it right away and get over it. Its a tool and it should look used. It is inevitable that it will be dropped at some point, be happy you choose a robust phone that can handle a little wear and tear.

What I want to know is when are we going to get a water resistant phone? It is the first drop of water that upsets me. That is the beginning of the end.

Need some pow.
    Last edited by Just Me; 12-02-13 at 12:04 PM.
    12-01-13 08:48 AM
    I say scratch it right away and get over it. Its a tool and it should look used. It is inevitable that it will be dropped at some point, be happy you choose a robust phone that can handle a little wear and tear.

What I want to know is when are we going to get a water resistant phone? It the first drop of water that upsets me. That is the beginning of the end.

Need some pow.

I wish I could get used to scuffing and scratching the phone right away. But once it happens, then that virtual seal is broken and the device becomes more of a tool as you said instead of a baby.

BTW, there is a water resistant phone. Granted, it's a crappy Casio Android phone only on Verizon (I believe), but water resistant nevertheless.
    12-01-13 09:34 AM
    I just have a couple spares, so if one gets scratched, I switch my sim to a different one...

It's a BlackBerry...enough said! Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.xxxx
    12-01-13 09:36 AM
37 12