Decided to clean my Z30 this evening. With all the germs, oils and god knows what else touching my phone over the holidays. A disinfectant cleaning was in order.

Here are my weapons of choice:
    NOTE: always power of your device when cleaning and handle with extreme care!

- Car detailing Finishing brush. This helps clean out dust and dirt in any of the fine places.

- 99% isopropanol Alcohol

- Cotton Rounds. My wife uses these to remove her makeup. They're great for damping with the isopropanol.

- BlackBerry PlayBook micro-fiber cloth. Great for getting all the streaking cleared for that glass finish.

How do you clean your BlackBerry?

How clean is your Z30?-img_20141228_194804.jpg

Disclaimer: this is how I clean my devices. I'm not in anyway suggesting you use the products or methods I use on my personal devices. Any damage incurred by using the cleaning products as explained above is on you!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    12-28-14 06:48 PM
    George Carlin would love this. Remember how he would tell us on stage that he would accidentally drop food on the floor and then eat it. He would brag about having an immune system and not getting sick because he would subject himself to germs! Very funny stuff.

Mine is clean but not that clean. If you really want an awesome feel and look to ANY glass use this on it. Brilliantize Cleaner for Your Piano Brilliantize is not really a cleaner. Its more like glass polish and it really makes a diff. Disclaimer : I have not tried it on the Z30 yet.
    Last edited by Zeratul57; 12-29-14 at 08:42 AM.
    12-28-14 07:03 PM
    I use this bad boy.

How clean is your Z30?-img_20141228_195018.jpg

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    12-28-14 07:52 PM
    I use this bad boy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141228_195018.jpg 
Views:	2881 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	323879

Come on, seriously?! : |

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    12-28-14 08:24 PM
    Personally, I just rub the screen on the sleeve of my shirt. Works fine for me
    12-28-14 08:26 PM
    It is not advisable to use any alcoholic solution directly on screen or polished material. I first clean with water and then with "All clear" thru wet cloth. Once a week, i use wood/leather polish thru wet cloth (very small quantity) and rub with fibre cloth . this polish make my device shining for the week.
    12-28-14 08:34 PM
    Maybe you should wear latex gloves when you use the phone. You can get a gross of them on CrackBerry now on a holiday special.

Posted via CB10
    IggieX likes this.
    12-28-14 09:58 PM
    It is not advisable to use any alcoholic solution directly on screen or polished material. I first clean with water and then with "All clear" thru wet cloth. Once a week, i use wood/leather polish thru wet cloth (very small quantity) and rub with fibre cloth . this polish make my device shining for the week.
    I've yet to have an issue with using Isopropanol Alcohol to clean my devices. I obviously don't directly place the liquid onto the phone but rather let the cotton absorb it and then gently wipe down the device. I also have screen protectors on all my devices, so I'm technically not rubbing anything directly onto the screen. I find Isopropanol Alcohol evaporates extremely fast unlike water which can take time for moisture to dry, even if you think you've wiped down the phone.

Also, there is no real disinfectant properties in using water which is one of my main reasons I thoroughly clean my devices in the first place.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    12-28-14 11:12 PM
    Maybe you should wear latex gloves when you use the phone. You can get a gross of them on CrackBerry now on a holiday special.

Posted via CB10
    Do they come with surgical masks? If they don't come in a combo pack I'm not buyin!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    IggieX likes this.
    12-28-14 11:15 PM
    Come on, seriously?! : |

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Lol

If you ain't cleaning all your electronics with that. You are doing it wrong.
    Grab a tiny piece of cloth get some of that and kill 99% of viruses plus make it all smell fresh.
    Can't get any better than that.

12-29-14 12:58 AM
    I rub it on my jeans mostly, it gets the job done but also left some tiny scratches that are only visible in very strong sunlight. Fine with me

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 03:19 AM
    I've yet to have an issue with using Isopropanol Alcohol to clean my devices. I obviously don't directly place the liquid onto the phone but rather let the cotton absorb it and then gently wipe down the device. I also have screen protectors on all my devices, so I'm technically not rubbing anything directly onto the screen. I find Isopropanol Alcohol evaporates extremely fast unlike water which can take time for moisture to dry, even if you think you've wiped down the phone.

Also, there is no real disinfectant properties in using water which is one of my main reasons I thoroughly clean my devices in the first place.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Those aggressive alcohols can destroy the screen's coatings over time and it might look washed out when you look closely. I have seen this on some Nokia and HTC devices, I am not sure whether BlackBerry also uses oleophobic coatings or not, but I can at least imagine it.
    However since you are using a screen protector anyways, you'll only damage the protector's coatings (at least the better ones are coated!) and those can be easily replaced at any given time. One of the reasons why I actually always keep using screen protectors.

For example back on my Q10, I used to clean the screen (or rather it's protector) with those one-time use wet alcoholic cleaning cloths you use for glasses. After a few months I could really see the areas were the coating has come off, highly visible when the screen was off.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 03:33 AM
    Nice information..
    12-29-14 06:29 AM
    For electronics we use Denatured alcohol to clean things. Manufacture approved for most things. Isopropol or denatured mixed with water is what is used for lcd tv screens and a microfiber clothe. 50/50 but thats been a huge debate for the tvs
    12-29-14 08:07 AM
    For electronics we use Denatured alcohol to clean things. Manufacture approved for most things. Isopropol or denatured mixed with water is what is used for lcd tv screens and a microfiber clothe. 50/50 but thats been a huge debate for the tvs
    Yes that or white vinegar and water 50/50 mix for LCD TV's. Oh natural might be better.

So far I've had success with the isopropanol and cotton pad combo and I've yet to see any discoloration or damage to my screens or screen protectors.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    12-29-14 09:21 AM
    My Z30 is still new so hasn't got dirty yet it's only 15 months old but has traveled all over Alberta, Northern BC, the Yukon and NWT and used daily. Look after your stuff and it won't get dirty, wipe with a kleenex and is like new again.

Rick Pringle, Z30 on CB.10
    12-29-14 09:31 AM
    Seriously? I occasionally wipe the screen and battery cover with a slightly damp towel - like my shower towel after it's been hanging on the rack drying a while.

Just how dirty does your phone get? You eating chicken wings while taking calls?!

Richard
    chad1276 likes this.
    12-29-14 12:08 PM
    I use a cleaner that comes with my phone and its spotless!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 02:55 AM
    Just throw it in the dishwasher... the top rack, cause the bottom could melt the plastics. =)

Actually I have disinfectant wipes for the back and sides of the phone. Then an alcoholic spray on a good cloth to get the screen all shiny and clean.

Post via my BlackBerry Z10!
    12-30-14 03:12 AM
    Condensation from my breath and microfibre cloth. Job done. An exercise in futility since after 5 minutes of use/swiping the screen is grease scuffed and imperfect again anyway!

I find my Z30 doesn't get dirty easy anyways because there are barely any holes and crevices for dirt to get in. The device is a fairly impenetrable slate in all fairness! Definitely well designed in terms of cleanliness!

10.3.1.1154 / STA100-2
    12-31-14 11:08 AM
    All you need for electronic devices (tv's, laptops, phones) is a microfiber cloth, and a mixture of alcohol and distilled water!
    12-31-14 11:11 AM
    Seriously? I occasionally wipe the screen and battery cover with a slightly damp towel - like my shower towel after it's been hanging on the rack drying a while.

Just how dirty does your phone get? You eating chicken wings while taking calls?!

Richard
    It's not really about how dirty the phone is as my phone isn't really ever dirty. But I do like to make sure every now and then, I'm disinfecting my devices so that they're sanitary and clean.

Don't kid yourself, wiping your phone down with a damp cloth isn't doing much in way of removing everyday bacteria or god knows what else has ended up on your phone from the day. My methods might seem excessive, but it takes like 5 mins to do and your phone is Uber clean.......and best of all disinfected.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    RLTurn77 and ronfc like this.
    12-31-14 12:37 PM
    I'm not worried about my own cooties, and I don't let others use my phone. I'm fairly careful not to frequently touch surfaces that many others have, and washing my hands afterwards if I have (store door handles, gas pumps, etc.). Not going to a Howard Hughes-level about the subject, thank you! A few bugs fighting here and there keep your immune system on its toes...

Richard
    12-31-14 12:49 PM
    Once a month I take her to the Spa and pamper her!!

Z30 on 10.3 and loving it!
    Carmels likes this.
    01-01-15 05:13 AM
    Once a month I take her to the Spa and pamper her!!

Z30 on 10.3 and loving it!
    Exactly, this is what I'm talking about.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Shandar Junaid likes this.
    01-01-15 09:06 AM
38 12