How Can the Z30 Sell When BlackBerry Are Stuck On Unrealistic Pricing?-img_00001667.jpg

How can BlackBerry expect to sell the Z30 if it's 500 pounds?! That's absurd. I know Chen isn't going to expose the company to that type of inventory risk again, but at this point, the most important thing seems to me to be selling phones and getting the OS some exposure. With the Galaxy S4 selling at over 100 less than the Z30, it's really all a big bad joke.

Just cut the price to 350 pounds - or even sell the thing at cost and get it out there. Waiting for a miracle is just not going to pay off. BlackBerry should just dump the Z10 and Z30 on the market as cheaply as possible and let the OS and phones speak for themselves. I just do not understand how such intelligent people can make the same mistake over and over again.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 07:26 AM
    Samsung has the ability to make their phones much more cheaply than BlackBerry so it's not really as simple as you make it seem in regards to pricing. BlackBerry isn't going to sell something at a loss and the S4 had been out for 9 months vs 3 for the z30 so they are at different stages in their life cycle.
    bungaboy, Anilu7, nt300 and 3 others like this.
    01-17-14 07:35 AM
    Its available for $0 on contract where I am here in Toronto.
    Paisley Pirate and nt300 like this.
    01-17-14 07:35 AM
    Honestly pricing has always been one of BlackBerry's weaknesses...

Posted using the LG G2 / BlackBerry Z30
    01-17-14 07:37 AM
    This is true, screw the bottom line in the short run to push volume then recoop it later when your brand gains traction. Unfortunately that's hard to swallow especially if a company is in a tough spot financially

Pounded out on the last great qwerty to rule them all.. Q10
    Kamika007z likes this.
    01-17-14 07:41 AM
    Dude Sammy s4 has been out for almost a year and there are newer android device out there. Therefore this reflects the price.

BlackBerry z 30 just been out for a few months.

Also don't know where u seen it for 500.00 as u can get it off amazon sim free for

Blackberry Z30 Sim Free Smartphone - Black
    BlackBerry (17)

Price:371.68

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 07:43 AM
    Z30 is not built with plastic only.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 07:43 AM
    Samsung has the ability to make their phones much more cheaply than BlackBerry so it's not really as simple as you make it seem in regards to pricing. BlackBerry isn't going to sell something at a loss and the S4 had been out for 9 months vs 3 for the z30 so they are at different stages in their life cycle.
    Unfortunately, that just doesn't matter very much. BlackBerry won't sell them at all; that's the point. It's much better to sell the Z30 at a loss than not sell them, and have them sitting around in a warehouse until you write them and then sell them at a 'loss' later (think Z10).

That's just the magical thinking I was talking about. The fact that Samsung can sell devices more cheaply doesn't mean BlackBerry should stay a pointless and harmful course. The fact is that no one is going to show up and buy all those Z30s they made. They need to cut their losses, and at least gain the benefit of getting the devices out. They are just NOT going to sell. That needs to be accepted.

It's over for the Z30 launch. It's a good phone, but it's over. Really, it never started. Get ahead, dump the inventory on the market for a cheap as possible, or give it to BES10 signups, but there is just no point selling the Z30 for 500 pounds.

BlackBerry need to accept that it is better to offer nothing sell nothing or offer something at a loss and sell it, than offer something and not sell it. It's continuing to kill public perception. People don't want a phone that isn't selling. Get the damn phones sold no matter what, BlackBerry. Use your brains.

Posted via CB10
    LuisCast, 1magine, yessuz and 4 others like this.
    01-17-14 07:46 AM
    Get your fact right dude z30 is not selling at500.

It's actually really cheap at 371 sim free

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 07:49 AM
    Regarding the price, I just went into the shop here in London and asked the price before posting. Maybe it can be found cheaper somewhere, but I'm talking about in shops.

I really do think that the next generation of phones will be priced better and sell better. It will be harder to claim BlackBerry is dead when there are two generations of BlackBerry 10 phones out, and no more BlackBerry 7 phones to be seen.

Sales is EVERYTHING. SELL THE PHONES. Stop waiting for silly idiots to come along and pay too much for them. If the Samsung Galaxy is on sale for 390 pounds, then BlackBerry HAS TO give the Z30 for 325 or it will not sell. Wake up folks. This strategy is NOT WORKING.

Sorry for the caps. Watching BlackBerry market their phones is like watching England play football. It's painful.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 07:55 AM
    Yes, I'm impressed as well on how a smartphone built in a much shorter timeframe, with less apps support and higher pricing can sell.

3rd party app devs found that 8% of BB10 platform is Z30 which is quite a number based on the fact on how many haters here screamed that 720p screen, poor camera, weak CPU, twice more expensive and other factors. I for one, found this info surprising and expected Q5 to be the winner.

I guess BB has some leverage on prosumer markets and either sell it through different channels or Z30 really has those killer features like battery, antenna and keyboard that people value over the price difference.
    01-17-14 07:59 AM

Sorry for the caps. Watching BlackBerry market their phones is like watching England play football. It's painful.

Posted via CB10
    That's BRILLIANT. Great analogy.

Pounded out on the last great qwerty to rule them all.. Q10
    Arun Nambiar likes this.
    01-17-14 08:04 AM
    Get your fact right dude z30 is not selling at500.

It's actually really cheap at 371 sim free

Posted via CB10
    I was just in Selfridges here in London mate. It's on for 499.95. Perhaps it's cheaper elsewhere, but that's what customers are seeing in actual shops.

Most people are not going to throw hundreds of pounds at Amazon to get a phone. They want the assurance of picking it up from a real shop and carrying it with them.

That's just reality, as inconvenient as it is.

Posted via CB10
    chris8189 and Tom689 like this.
    01-17-14 08:07 AM
    Yes, I'm impressed as well on how a smartphone built in a much shorter timeframe, with less apps support and higher pricing can sell.

3rd party app devs found that 8% of BB10 platform is Z30 which is quite a number based on the fact on how many haters here screamed that 720p screen, poor camera, weak CPU, twice more expensive and other factors. I for one, found this info surprising and expected Q5 to be the winner.

I guess BB has some leverage on prosumer markets and either sell it through different channels or Z30 really has those killer features like battery, antenna and keyboard that people value over the price difference.
    But they AREN'T selling it! It's not selling, mate! Honestly, people in here sometimes remind me of Soviet-era communists lol. There are no record crops being harvested, no record numbers of manufactured goods to shame the West... and there are no sales happening for BlackBerry at these crazy prices!

Look, I love BlackBerry to the point that my friends joke about it, but I refuse to be delusional.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BBUK14; 01-17-14 at 08:23 AM.
    01-17-14 08:11 AM
    But they AREN'T selling it! It's not selling, mate!
    Are you implying your personal experience (you didn't buy the phone) or you have some stats?
    I linked an article where they found that Z30 sells significantly more than Q5 meaning that people are not running after pricing but likely bigger screen and/or better antenna reception.
    01-17-14 08:19 AM
    OP needs to shop around

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 08:20 AM

So it's impressive to you that the Z30 could only muster up much less than half a million units in sales in 2 months?

That 8% is probably even skewed towards the Z30 and biased against the Q10 (not sure how many corporate users of the Q10 would be downloading that free app the sample used)
    The fact that the Q5 has a smaller share than the Z30 based on that sample should tell you how imprecise that sample is. No way in hell has the Z30 outsold the Q5.
    21stNow likes this.
    01-17-14 08:22 AM
    My Z30 was $200 on contract, the same as a 16GB iPhone 5S, and it was worth every penny, IMO.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    shadur likes this.
    01-17-14 08:22 AM
    OP needs to shop around

Posted via CB10
    Well, perhaps it's not just BlackBerry. I mean, really. What sort of comment is that? Should that be BlackBerry's new slogan? 'If you think 499.95 in the shop is too much, go and shop around'.

People are just going to say, 'No, I don't bloody well want to shop around! I'll just take this nice Galaxy and be on my way...'

Really, why are so many BlackBerry people allergic to marketing or sales sense? It's like expecting people to switch from Coke to Pepsi, but then telling them that they've got to enjoy their Pepsi whilst standing on their head. People are just not interested in doing favours for companies.

Wake up folks. If you were right about all of this, BlackBerry would be selling phones. Let's accept the real world as the best place in which to live, please.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 08:28 AM

let see...BB only have 4 different models BB Z10, Q10, Q5, and Z30. some apps not available for Q10 and Q5. 8% for the newest flagship phone that already availabe 3-4 months quite low
    01-17-14 08:29 AM
    Vodafone have been selling the z30 consistently and not had no returns.

I myself choose voda 4g 12 months tariff which I think is good value.

The phone has a premium feel and works perfectly.( best smartphone with longest battery life I've had) I am more than happy to pay for quality product

I'm a first time BlackBerry user would not go back to android( full of blotware ie sammy) or iPhone

Posted via CB10
    DawnMills likes this.
    01-17-14 08:30 AM
    I think BBUK14 makes a valid point. Here we are, on CB, knowing what is what. Average person walks in to a store to look around, sees Z30 for more than the current Android flagship. Thinks, "I wonder what this does better"? If they ask the sales rep we all know what happens next, so when does the potential buyer consider shopping around. We can all argue the nice bits of BB10 but it isn't going to change anything fast. Consumers need the phones in their hands, they need to then push the developers by showing strength in numbers.

I have a Z10 which I bought when it launched in the UK SIM free. I want the Z30 - but I am a fanboy like most of us here!
    anon8091350 and chris8189 like this.
    01-17-14 08:31 AM
    let see...BB only have 4 different models BB Z10, Q10, Q5, and Z30. some apps not available for Q10 and Q5. 8% for the newest flagship phone that already availabe 3-4 months quite low
    That was measured by a single app that is available for all the BB10 devices that it provided stats for.
    The article mentions December, so I guess that's the number of sales in that specific month.
    Q5 was released before Z30 and as the stats prove, the pricing is not what BB10 users seek in a smartphone (contrary to my and the OP expectations).
    01-17-14 08:33 AM
    Compare with Samsung Galaxy S4 original price...

Samsung announces soon Galaxy S5! So that's why they want to get rid of their S4... to whom do not know it! (known in Germany just 3 days ago!!!! Coming soon... so when is soon??? Price 800!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Z30 is still available for less money sim free and already for 0 units on contract!

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    01-17-14 08:36 AM
    In my area BlackBerrys and iPhones have been known to hold value for much longer periods than dime a dozen android devices. I thought once a month or thereabouts an android device is released so that's also understandable. Personally if I want an expensive phone which they all are nowadays, a $100 won't make a difference.

Posted via CB10
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    01-17-14 08:37 AM
264 123 ...