I'm in the UK and have walked into several carphone warehouse shops, and been told that they haven't got a Z30 to show me. They said that almost none if their shops have any on display...

...is this the deal everywhere?

Posted via CB10
    rai187 likes this.
    12-06-13 10:49 AM
    I bought my z30 sight unseen. After reading enough, I bought.

It works well. It's better than my z10 in every aspect.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 11:12 AM
    They really aren't.....

I think if the Z30 had not already been at least under contract, we would not have seen it until later.

It's not that people aren't buying BlackBerry devices..... it's that they aren't buying the BB10 Platform. BlackBerry knows this and I guess they have tried their best to build the BB10 Platform and they have realized that it isn't going to work the way they had hoped. So they have shifted gear and are going to create a hybrid BB10/Android Platform.

The question is are they going to market this new BB10/Android Platform to consumers and just to business? I think the Z30 is the last consumer phone we will see from BlackBerry. They can release business devices that don't have to be high end hardware and that they can ask a premium for and get it - if the business is planning to use BES10 also. Anyone that wants will be able to buy these phones if they so desire......
    12-06-13 11:17 AM
    Most Verizon stores in the US do have display models. Whether they are actually on display or not is another question. My local store had to bring theirs out from a back room for me to look at.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 11:23 AM
    Z30 didn't get any carrier support so it's basically a limited availability device
    12-06-13 11:28 AM
    It's not that people aren't buying BlackBerry devices..... it's that they aren't buying the BB10 Platform. BlackBerry knows this and I guess they have tried their best to build the BB10 Platform and they have realized that it isn't going to work the way they had hoped. So they have shifted gear and are going to create a hybrid BB10/Android Platform..
    The Android runtime has been in existence since the PlayBook. It's not a new strategy. What we're seeing with 10.2.X is further work to /keep/ compatibility. The runtime isn't meant for direct usage by customers either, but as a way to get Android developers to quickly port to BlackBerry World.

The question is are they going to market this new BB10/Android Platform to consumers and just to business? I think the Z30 is the last consumer phone we will see from BlackBerry. They can release business devices that don't have to be high end hardware and that they can ask a premium for and get it - if the business is planning to use BES10 also. Anyone that wants will be able to buy these phones if they so desire......
    Unless Chen says otherwise, BlackBerry is focusing its efforts on the enterprise market. If they get enterprise to adopt BES10, the devices don't need to be a premium price since they'll get revenue from the per device licensing fees.
    12-06-13 11:34 AM
    I kept checking for the z30 to try it out. I had a pretty good idea already having played with the z10 and being able to imagine it scaled up in size but i really wanted the full experience of holding it and using it. Someone at futureshop pulled one out for me to physically hold but didnt want to boot it up since it was new off the shelf. My Bell Store had one set up finally that i was able to try last weekend when i went to compare the z10 to the z30 as i wanted the z30 but the z10 was too cheap to pass up.

I have found though, that no store i have been to will recommend a blackberry to me unless they know that i'm already using a blackberry. From a consumer perspective, when a sales rep asks "what are you looking to do with your phone", what does the customer have to say that blackberry would have the competitive advantage over? (the obvious Q10 QWERTY keyboard aside) I know that blackberry is capable of most things an android or iphone can do, but what are they truly better at? Without holding and using one and seeing the UI in action, there is nothing that jumps out to me.

Don't worry, i still bought the z10 and am anxiously waiting to decide between the z30 or rumored upcoming devices.
    12-06-13 11:38 AM
    I don't agree that people haven't been impressed by BB10. The truth is that 90% of the population don't even know it exists. I used to be shocked to hear people say they didn't even know BlackBerry had put out new phones, but that's the reality.

I don't have a big problem with BlackBerry not advertising the Z10 so long as they don't go making zillions of them at the same time. Getting the phones out of the spotlight for now isn't a bad idea. With BBM going well, the last thing BlackBerry need is another three months of articles and headlines bashing the Z30. To be fair, people aren't really bashing it...

I'm hoping they continue to release phones - progressively excellent phones - and selling them in smaller numbers during 2014 while people get tired of the BlackBerry is dead thing. Once that toxic ranting subsides, people will be willing to buy BlackBerry phones again. Killing off the hardware side of things, as loads of people are suggesting, is an awful idea. That would only bring a fresh wave of BlackBerry is dead chants.

I'm really hoping BlackBerry haven't built zillions of z30s, and that they continue to improve BB10. In three months we could possibly see a world in which BBM is fully cross platform with video, audio, screen share, channels, etc., and the phones are able to get the big android apps easily. If that happens, we will be looking at a very different picture...fingers crossed...

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 11:51 AM
    Most Verizon stores in the US do have display models. Whether they are actually on display or not is another question. My local store had to bring theirs out from a back room for me to look at.
    Interesting... maybe BlackBerry can get Verizon to require that their reps bring the Z30 out with white gloves on; that way, maybe the other customers will take notice... first, you have to know to ask for it, then it's only taken out from a "safe room" because of how highly prized it is... It is a Verizon exclusive, is it not?
    12-06-13 12:05 PM
    I also buying on in the Netherland from the internet without seeing it. I allready had the Z10 and the OS is good and the phone is great. The Blackberry OS10 is flying all over the phone, much quicker then android phone's and also some apps are quicker then on HTC ONE X or S4. The multitasking on BB10 is also very quick and easy to swith very quick.
    12-06-13 06:29 PM