I just opened the same youtube video on both Z10 and Z30 and Z30 has a very noticeable hissing noise. It's like static interference noise, slightly different on each speaker, more static-like on top and lower crackle on bottom speaker.

Same thing happens with any kind of media playback. When I pause the media or even stop it completely, the noise is still there until it eventually shuts something off internally and cuts off the hiss. Is this due to higher powered speakers on Z30? I noticed Z10 does the same thing but it is nearly impossible to hear the hiss on Z10 unless you are in a very quiet room.
    Last edited by heading4tomorrow; 02-07-14 at 12:56 AM.
    02-05-14 10:45 PM
    i know what you mean when you set the volume at 2 stripes you hear a little noise but louder you don't hear it. It the same static if your box are verly low in sound you can hear them to in a silent room. It also means you have good ears just like me
    02-06-14 12:35 PM
    i know what you mean when you set the volume at 2 stripes you hear a little noise but louder you don't hear it. It the same static if your box are verly low in sound you can hear them to in a silent room. It also means you have good ears just like me
    Also, hissing is there when you pause the video/music. I turn it up high, start playing a video, hissing starts, I hit pause, it continues to hiss as if I am on a call with less than stellar connection, it doesn't disappear until Z30 cuts power to the speaker (s).
    02-06-14 12:43 PM
    OK, I did a few tests, the hissing level is actually very high, it is clearly audible. I realize the hissing is common with every phone (Z10 does it, my other android device does it, an older one though) but you cannot hear them under normal conditions, you would need to push them against your ear, but with Z30 it is right there, turn up the volume high all the way and then just browse the internet, no need to play video or music, simply hit a link and hear that little click sound and then bring the phone closer to your ear, HISSSSSSSSS on top speaker and crackle crackle crackle on bottom speaker..
    02-06-14 11:20 PM
    Yeah I hear it too. It stays on just in case you keep typing or clicking another link. If you don't like 5 seconds later it shuts off. When I have it on vibrate or silent it doesn't do it.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 11:30 PM
    Happens on mine too. A lot of my BlackBerry phones have done this at various noise and clarity levels.

Z30 is most noticeable because it has the best speakers.

It's nothing to be worried about. It's just because there is power being driven to the speaker drivers in case they need to playback a tone. After a timeout period (for notifications or keypresses) or media playback ending the noise will stop (since power is cut).

The BlackBerry audio "stack" or drivers have always worked this way. It's just usually hard to hear because of ambient noise, the volume level of the speakers (higher volume = more power running to them for the hiss), and speaker quality.

Hope this helps!

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 11:56 PM
    Happens on mine too. A lot of my BlackBerry phones have done this at various noise and clarity levels.

Z30 is most noticeable because it has the best speakers.

It's nothing to be worried about. It's just because there is power being driven to the speaker drivers in case they need to playback a tone. After a timeout period (for notifications or keypresses) or media playback ending the noise will stop (since power is cut).

The BlackBerry audio "stack" or drivers have always worked this way. It's just usually hard to hear because of ambient noise, the volume level of the speakers (higher volume = more power running to them for the hiss), and speaker quality.

Hope this helps!

Posted via CB10
    Do you hear the hiss in earphones? Sorry I only have Sony extra bass XB set, which blocks all noise and highs. I need to try this tomorrow on the office with BB premium earphones.

Sent from my LG-D800
    02-07-14 12:00 AM
    I have the same issue, there's no way this is standard on every Z30. An audible hiss is one thing, surely if you put your ear up to any speaker you'll hear it. But this is an outrageous static, exactly how the OP described it. Headphones are fine, it's just the speaker outputs that will drive you crazy if you pay too much attention to it.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 12:41 AM
    The hissing is normal on the Z30. I personally cannot hear it depending on the volume of my music playback unless I put it up to my ear
    02-07-14 02:08 AM
    I don't use headphones so can't comment on that.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 09:20 AM
    I get it on mine when the volume is super low (super low that you can't hear any sound without holding the speaker to your ear). Nothing to really worry about, if you want sound without going through the main speaker (as in listening to something personally without headphones, or in a noisy environment) you can route sound to the headset :

Hissing Z30 speaker-img_20140207_180849.png

Hissing Z30 speaker-img_20140207_180853.png

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 12:09 PM
    Exact same issue. I just posted over at supportforums blackberry so I won't rehash what has already been said there but yes.. there is definitely static, crackling, hissing noise from the loudspeakers on these phones. Other than that it seems like a great phone so far (have had it 3 days) but part of my acceptance factor for the larger format over the z10 (yes there are others as well but..) was this phone's hyped sound quality. However... this is not quality sound and feeling let down on the hype. Loud sound? Yeah OK give it that. Decent representation of the audio? sure.. but man that static/hissing for us who listen to quiet music in quiet environments it's terrible (or for those that have acute higher frequency range).

So just to close out, I don't think the worry is that there is an issue with the phone dying or suddenly stops working but yes there is concern and a valid one that the phones are poor sounding, at least at the moment (you know what it reminds me of? old cassette tapes! lol)

Anyone with the technical/development side visiting here know if this can be remedied in software? I sure hope so....
    03-08-14 01:19 PM
    Exact same issue. I just posted over at supportforums blackberry so I won't rehash what has already been said there but yes.. there is definitely static, crackling, hissing noise from the loudspeakers on these phones. Other than that it seems like a great phone so far (have had it 3 days) but part of my acceptance factor for the larger format over the z10 (yes there are others as well but..) was this phone's hyped sound quality. However... this is not quality sound and feeling let down on the hype. Loud sound? Yeah OK give it that. Decent representation of the audio? sure.. but man that static/hissing for us who listen to quiet music in quiet environments it's terrible (or for those that have acute higher frequency range).

So just to close out, I don't think the worry is that there is an issue with the phone dying or suddenly stops working but yes there is concern and a valid one that the phones are poor sounding, at least at the moment (you know what it reminds me of? old cassette tapes! lol)

Anyone with the technical/development side visiting here know if this can be remedied in software? I sure hope so....
    The quality difference between STA models is noticeable. I have both -5 and -3 and hissing is much less on the -3 but the brightness is somewhat lower on -5, the buttons are stiff on -3 but looser easier to press on -5. Anyway, I also think it can be due to software and application versions as well, overall -3 sounded a tiny bit louder but that resulted in the hissing be more apparent, especially when you are playing a game and want to keep the volume low, at a point you actually hear the crackling/hissing overpower the lowest volume.
    I put my Z10 and Q10 up to my ear, and they also have the hissing, so does my LG G2 and wife's LG Escape but their hiss is at such a low level, it is nearly impossible to hear it, it's more like listening to cassette tape without the Dolby. STA-3 is like a super dusty record on a player compared to those.
    03-08-14 02:18 PM
    How about the earpeice, Mine sounds all crackly when turned up beyond medium volume. Does that mean its blown?? The phones not that old. Blackberry needs a better speaker system, 3 Z10's I had blew the speakers and none were ever damaged. My Z30 might need replaced. Any suggestions??
    03-09-14 09:32 AM
    The hissing should not happen. I noticed it on my Q10 and was hoping that in would be gone in 10.2.1. But I guess not. It happens when you swipe up to unlock for some reason also. What a waste of battery. If you listen, it happens a lot for no apparent reason. Speakers turn on and hiss when not using any media!! It has to waste a lot of battery just hissing a lot.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 10:14 AM
    The hissing should not happen. I noticed it on my Q10 and was hoping that in would be gone in 10.2.1. But I guess not. It happens when you swipe up to unlock for some reason also. What a waste of battery. If you listen, it happens a lot for no apparent reason. Speakers turn on and hiss when not using any media!! It has to waste a lot of battery just hissing a lot.
    Posted via CB10
    Yes, it turns on the speakers, but I think it is just static of some sort. It happens when the speakers get some power, and usually it cuts off the power in about 5 seconds.
    When you unlock, etc I think there is a sound. Same when you turn volume up/down. It beeps, hissing continues for few seconds, then turns off.
    03-09-14 12:16 PM
    Yes, it turns on the speakers, but I think it is just static of some sort. It happens when the speakers get some power, and usually it cuts off the power in about 5 seconds.
    When you unlock, etc I think there is a sound. Same when you turn volume up/down. It beeps, hissing continues for few seconds, then turns off.
    No sounds, it just hisses. There is no need for the speakers to get power for no reasons, unless I am missing something. Never the less is wastes battery and it would help a lot if just fixed.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 01:15 PM
    If you pay attention, you will hear it when the speakers shouldn't even be used. I think it should definitely be looked into. Not ignored. Some apps invoke the hiss for longer than 10 seconds while in active frame. (Gadget Box) and also change the volume rockers to adjust media volume when set to adjust notifications. Basically something happens that makes the phone think it's playing audio, but it is just hissing.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 01:20 PM
    Even when put to sleep, it hisses for a period of time! Longer when certain apps are in frame mode. (they are apps that don't use media). It is definitely BlackBerry software that needs to be tweaked in my opinion. I still love my Q10 tho.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 01:22 PM
    Another opinion, if you can't hear it, then get rid of it! Why do it in the first place!? Why would I want my speaker to hiss for no reason? Fix the code that causes it!! Thank me later when your battery lasts that much longer for not playing useless static.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 01:33 PM
    I would imagine that it should be top priority, but if no one can hear it, I think they are hoping it will fly past everyone.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 01:35 PM
    I would imagine that it should be top priority, but if no one can hear it, I think they are hoping it will fly past everyone.

Posted via CB10
    No they are waiting for people at customer service not in BlackBerry forums...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-09-14 01:38 PM
    Even when put to sleep, it hisses for a period of time! Longer when certain apps are in frame mode. (they are apps that don't use media). It is definitely BlackBerry software that needs to be tweaked in my opinion. I still love my Q10 tho.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, not when put to sleep but every time it wakes up, it does it.
    Although I doubt this is using much more battery, if there is a way to test this it can confirm. However like I said, it is present in other platforms/devices as well. Sadly BB does not have a public relations or a portal for us to report bugs, it's absurd but that's the case.
    03-09-14 03:12 PM
    I agree, not when put to sleep but every time it wakes up, it does it.
    Although I doubt this is using much more battery, if there is a way to test this it can confirm. However like I said, it is present in other platforms/devices as well. Sadly BB does not have a public relations or a portal for us to report bugs, it's absurd but that's the case.
    Huh... they do have a place to report bugs... it's the beta zone app.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-09-14 03:17 PM
    I noticed this sound as well. It's by no means overpowering, but it is there to be heard in a quiet setting. I haven't noticed it since I set the keyboard to silent, but I may have just gotten used to it....

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 04:25 PM
29 12