Except it is last year's chipset. The S4 was replaced by the 800 and the HTC One uses a 600 which is a step down from the high end 800.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    Its branded an S4. Its not in truth. The z10 also uses an S4. However it's completely different, and is actually "last year's". The z30 chip is a variation on the Snapdragon 600 (ie. 2 less cores).

S4 is a name. Has nothing to do with the technology inside. Its similar to Intels jump from clover trail to bay trail. They're both core-i series, but they're different under the hood. The z30 chip has the S4 name, under the hood, it's a baby 600.
    11-15-13 12:23 PM
    That's exactly why I picked them as an example. They did the opposite when they were perceived as struggling.
    They redesigned the model and maintained the pricing. Sound familiar? The one thing they did that BlackBerry has yet to do is marketing.

Posted via CB10
    In your previous post, you seem to compare BBRY with Audi, and implied that BBRY keeps its prices high because it can. I also seem to perceive the belief that folks who don't but it because of price don't because they can't.

You think that it is marketing that keeps Audi going?

There are some major fallacies there, but the good news is that at least one forumite agrees with you.

We'll see if the buying public will also believe that the Z30 is "affordable luxury."
    ajst222 and Beyond Fire like this.
    11-15-13 12:24 PM
    Thanks for the post ajst. The screen concerns me too since I love the clarity and brightness of my Z10. I'd really like to play with a Z30 though...I just haven't seen one yet.
    ajst222 likes this.
    11-15-13 12:28 PM
    I bought a Z30 last night online from Verizon. My contract wasn't over yet so I paid for it in full. I didn't want to do it at first, but I looked at it from a long term perspective. I'll update(if I remember) you guys on comparisons when my unit comes in Monday.

The screen looked dim to me(went to Verizon and checked it out), but I run my Z10 at 30 percent brightness so the battery can get me through a work day. I also saw the jagged edges, but you have to look so dang close just to see it. You have to actually be looking for the flaws to notice them. I didn't look at the camera, but the speakers on it are impressive.

On a side note: I took my Z10 off the charger at 7 this morning, topped off my battery from my car charger on the way to work at 8. Now, my battery is less than 50%, lol.
    Here are my Z30 First Impressions-img_00001418.png

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 12:37 PM
    Except Audi has a spot in the marketplace and is selling cars. Audi also has a great consumer perception of making high end products. BlackBerry has none of that. And it's not that I can't afford it, it's that compared to the competition, the Z30 isn't worth it at the same price.

Seriously how many cares to know your financial standing. You don't like it please just move on. Spend more time on a site where you can sing the praises or your device of choice or whatever you have going for you but I'm asking you again if you and all the naysayers can just take your negative crap elsewhere because it's not gonna work here.

Posted via CB10
    missing_K-W likes this.
    11-15-13 12:40 PM
    LOL... in a normal world where smartphone choice is not a determination of the quality of life?

Funnily enough, the person who posed the rhetorical question seems to disagree with you.

But, for kicks, in your world of economics, what would a struggling manufacturer do? Keep prices high even though they ain't moving backlogged inventory?

You keep prices within a certain range to maintain brand respectability. Do you think all cars manufactured are sold? Or anything for that matter unless it's on a per order basis. I can remember one example years ago where I was responsible for crushing unsold baby strollers and car seats because they weren't selling as expected. At that time I thought if it wasn't better just to sell for very cheap or give to the poor but unfortunately that's not how the real world operates.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 12:47 PM
    Seriously how many cares to know your financial standing. You don't like it please just move on. Spend more time on a site where you can sing the praises or your device of choice or whatever you have going for you but I'm asking you again if you and all the naysayers can just take your negative crap elsewhere because it's not gonna work here.

Posted via CB10
    LOL.

Not that I expect this to calm you down in any way, but if your sidestepped your platform allegiance for a hot second, you'd see that he only replied to the comment about people not being able to afford it.

I don't think he was sharing anything about his finances with YOU.

The internet is a BIG place. It's not mandatory to be in any one corner of it. Even cooler? There are these features called "ignore" and "report" that can make time spent on CB more enjoyable. Use them. They generally eliminate the need for rants.

Smartphones discussion should not raise blood pressure. I've been wrong before though.
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    11-15-13 12:48 PM
    You keep prices within a certain range to maintain brand respectability. Do you think all cars manufactured are sold? Or anything for that matter unless it's on a per order basis. I can remember one example years ago where I was responsible for crushing unsold baby strollers and car seats because they weren't selling as expected. At that time I thought if it wasn't better just to sell for very cheap or give to the poor but unfortunately that's not how the real world operates.

Posted via CB10
    Regardless of the manufacturing process, the bottom line boils down to sustainable profitability. When you look at BBRY's current state, I cannot fathom how it is being compared to a car company that is doing well.

BBRY needs to move devices. It seems that it cannot. Selling less in this market won't help the corporation.
    TrueKulcha and milo53 like this.
    11-15-13 12:53 PM
    Regardless of the manufacturing process, the bottom line boils down to sustainable profitability. When you look at BBRY's current state, I cannot fathom how it is being compared to a car company that is doing well.

BBRY needs to move devices. It seems that it cannot. Selling less in this market won't help the corporation.
    I don't know what they have planned but hopefully they know better than us lol. I hate to mention this but I'm thinking that the ethnic background of the new guy in charge may help in some areas. I mentioned this somewhere on crackberry before but if you look at the make up of BlackBerry and IOS users in large metropolitan cities, as compared to Samsung users specifically you would know what I'm talking about. Some facts are harder to face than others but this is life.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 12:59 PM
    In your previous post, you seem to compare BBRY with Audi, and implied that BBRY keeps its prices high because it can. I also seem to perceive the belief that folks who don't but it because of price don't because they can't.

You think that it is marketing that keeps Audi going?

There are some major fallacies there, but the good news is that at least one forumite agrees with you.
    We'll see if the buying public will also believe that the Z30 is "affordable luxury."
    Strategy is the comparison.
    I cited redesign AND marketing.
    #hetriedit

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 01:16 PM

Posted via CB10

I wasn't the one who said that if $50 was a real issue (as if it was nothing) I just shouldn't upgrade or wait for something really cheap. And you don't seem to understand that it's a two way street. It's not only about the positive and not everyone can live in a BlackBerry fantasy land. There definitely are positives to BB10 and their devices but that doesn't mean you can ignore the negatives.

11-15-13 01:17 PM

The comparison is valid because they were perceived as failing due to faulty manufacturing claims back in 1986. The claims were unsubstantiated but the damage had been done.

If your logic holds, there should be a clearance sale on Ferrari.
    Nothing is done at the expense of the brand.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Kimberella; 11-15-13 at 03:31 PM.
    11-15-13 01:31 PM

Posted via CB10

Only works if you have a great product and a "brand" that is recognized as being great to begin with!

BlackBerry's image and it's products are... not seen as being premium. So they either drop their prices and try to compte or they change their products so that they are premium. To do that and still be able to compete they need something that others don't have.... like when they were the only ones with push email (or when push mattered).

Let's face it when people hear the world BlackBerry they don't think of "cutting edge technology" or "premium device".
    MarsupilamiX and ajst222 like this.
    11-15-13 01:32 PM
    Went into 2 Verizon stores in NYC yesterday and found the Z30 in both. (I was buying my father in law a basic "dumb" phone and one store didn't have the one I wanted in stock.) Overall, I liked the Z30. I compared Youtube videos on the display Z30 to my personal Z10 and thought the picture actually looked as good if not slightly better on the Z30. The one thing I was a little surprised about was that I was hoping with the larger screen, the base font would be slightly larger on the Z30 to make it easier to read your emails, etc. but it was not. In fact, I thought that emails were actually slightly easier to read on my Z10.
    11-15-13 01:47 PM
    Like you said, you went to shop for an iPhone 5S, so I honestly don't believe you were being very objective in your analysis of the Z30. You had your mind made up for iPhone 5S.

To each their own; I am happy to tell you IMHO that the Z30 display is very good and the phone is a thing of beauty. The Z30 is simply a joy to use and it has tremendously enhanced my work productivity; I don't even use my iPad that much any more.

Guess what OP, I don't find the iPhone 5S very appealing either but I keep my opinion to myself.
    11-15-13 02:46 PM
    Like you said, you went to shop for an iPhone 5S, so I honestly don't believe you were being very objective in your analysis of the Z30. You had your mind made up for iPhone 5S.

To each their own; I am happy to tell you IMHO that the Z30 display is very good and the phone is a thing of beauty. The Z30 is simply a joy to use and it has tremendously enhanced my work productivity; I don't even use my iPad that much any more.

As I stated before I NEVER WENT IN TO BUY A 5S!!!!!! I went in to take a look as I have never used one. I was keeping my opinions open for my next upgrade. It was between the 5s, the Z30, and the upcoming Lumia 929. I don't have any mentality to buy a Z30 just based on BlackBerry. Each time I buy a phone, a company has to win over my business with their phone. It just so happened that the Z30 was there. I didn't expect it to be since I read that it was online only so it was a pleasant surprise to get to check it out. I've explained this once before.

11-15-13 02:57 PM
    You are really talking gibberish. Please name one perfect phone? Is there any phone out there that has no flaws? What makes the iPhone 5S better than the Z30? And please spare me about the apps ecosystem.

I am a true "Multi-Platformer" and I don't go around thrashing other phones. There is a phone for everyone. People's tastes and preferences are different.

I wasn't the one who said that if $50 was a real issue (as if it was nothing) I just shouldn't upgrade or wait for something really cheap. And you don't seem to understand that it's a two way street. It's not only about the positive and not everyone can live in a BlackBerry fantasy land. There definitely are positives to BB10 and their devices but that doesn't mean you can ignore the negatives.

11-15-13 03:08 PM
    You are really talking gibberish. Please name one perfect phone? Is there any phone out there that has no flaws? What makes the iPhone 5S better than the Z30? And please spare me about the apps ecosystem.

I am a true "Multi-Platformer" and I don't go around thrashing other phones. There is a phone for everyone. People's tastes and preferences are different.
    How is that gibberish? The person who I quoted and the person who mentioned the $50 was talking gibberish. I am not trashing the Z30 I am GIVING MY OPINON in the form of constructive criticism. The Z30 is not to my taste and I respectfully gave my reasons why. Can't you accept that? Also, I don't see how you can say "spare me about the apps ecosystem" as that is a huge con to BB10.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-15-13 03:15 PM
    So tell me, since you never anticipated to see the Z30 at the store, how did you plan to do a fair and comparative analysis of the 3 phones you mentioned. My take is that subconsciously you were leaning towards the iPhone and Lumia, and frankly there is nothing wrong with that. It just your preference. But don't let your bias cloud your judgement.

I honestly hope you enjoy and love whichever phone you choose, but leave others alone to enjoy their awesome Z30 too. LIVE AND LETS LIVE.

As I stated before I NEVER WENT IN TO BUY A 5S!!!!!! I went in to take a look as I have never used one. I was keeping my opinions open for my next upgrade. It was between the 5s, the Z30, and the upcoming Lumia 929. I don't have any mentality to buy a Z30 just based on BlackBerry. Each time I buy a phone, a company has to win over my business with their phone. It just so happened that the Z30 was there. I didn't expect it to be since I read that it was online only so it was a pleasant surprise to get to check it out. I've explained this once before.

TrueKulcha likes this.
    11-15-13 03:21 PM
    So tell me, since you never anticipated to see the Z30 at the store, how did you plan to do a fair and comparative analysis of the 3 phones you mentioned. My take is that subconsciously you were leaning towards the iPhone and Lumia, and frankly there is nothing wrong with that. It just your preference. But don't let your bias cloud your judgement.

I honestly hope you enjoy and love whichever phone you choose, but leave others alone to enjoy their awesome Z30 too. LIVE AND LETS LIVE.
    What do you mean? I am familiar with BB10 so it's not like I needed to fiddle around with it to get a feel for it. I spent a good while checking out the hardware and the screen in particular since I have read a lot of negative about it to see if it was true. I was anticipating the Z30, just not that day so I already knew in my mind what there was to check out.

I wasn't leaning towards the 5s or the Lumia 929 (which isn't even out yet) until I saw the Z30. I am not bothering anyone who owns a Z30 but I am letting those who are interested in one what to look out for to make sure that they are ok with what they are going to invest a lot of money into.
    11-15-13 03:29 PM
    I never said I was getting an iPhone 5s, I said I was looking at one. There's a difference. And you're right, almost every reviewer brings up the list of shortcomings (which are reasonable) while the owners say the opposite. I think that's because the only people who have he device are CrackBerry fanatics who are blindly defending a phone just because it's BlackBerry and calling anyone a troll who says otherwise.

Personally I found the review quite helpful. I want to hear people's impression of this phone who haven't purchased it yet. They would more likely not be biased by ownership.

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 likes this.
    11-15-13 03:38 PM
    If the screen was different people would just complain about something different.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    11-15-13 03:42 PM
    I think you're noticing reduced brightness and quality and not the pixel density. It wouldn't be all that easy to notice the pixels unless you were inspecting it. I am still disappointed in the huge step down they took from the PlayBook in terms of hardware. Worse speakers, worse screen, better back for a phone though at least on the Z10. Could also use a better camera in low light. On bright days it works quite well.
    11-15-13 03:42 PM
    Personally I found the review quite helpful. I want to hear people's impression of this phone who haven't purchased it yet. They would more likely not be biased by ownership.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! I'm glad you saw it for what it actually is. I was just giving my first impressions for whose who haven't seen the device yet or for those who are interested in checking it out to get a first hand TRUE UNBIASED look. I am not partial to any smartphone maker and I just saw it for what it was and told it like it was. I don't see any point in candy coating anything because then some people feel lied to and realize what they just bought wasn't what they expected.
    milo53 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    11-15-13 03:44 PM
    I think you're noticing reduced brightness and quality and not the pixel density. It wouldn't be all that easy to notice the pixels unless you were inspecting it. I am still disappointed in the huge step down they took from the PlayBook in terms of hardware. Worse speakers, worse screen, better back for a phone though at least on the Z10. Could also use a better camera in low light. On bright days it works quite well.
    I noticed the pixel density as well. Everything did look a bit jagged but that wasn't what stuck out to me the most. The lack of brightness and the dullness of the display and colors were the most noticeable.
    11-15-13 03:45 PM
149 ... 23456