This is not a pre-released device we are talking about here. This phone has been out for almost two months in some areas and I guarantee if you poll user opinions you will get a minimum of 80% satisfaction rate. That's what should matter most here so what exactly you're trying to do is up in the air really. The pros far outweigh the cons here and trust me.. no phone is perfect.. but the BlackBerry Z30 takes a good stab at it. There will always be the few who wants more in a certain area. If you want a 13 mega pixel camera then go get an android device with all the known security flaws...but at least you have the camera you wanted, right. I'm a BlackBerry fan and wouldn't take the time of day to go on one of the competitors site to voice a negative opinion. Seriously man,what's the point in that. Let everyone make their own choices by what they see in front of them and not be swayed by negativity.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:24 AM
    This is not a pre-released device we are talking about here. This phone has been out for almost two months in some areas and I guarantee if you poll user opinions you will get a minimum of 80% satisfaction rate. That's what should matter most here so what exactly you're trying to do is up in the air really. The pros far outweigh the cons here and trust me.. no phone is perfect.. but the BlackBerry Z30 takes a good stab at it. There will always be the few who wants more in a certain area. If you want a 13 mega pixel camera then go get an android device with all the known security flaws...but at least you have the camera you wanted, right. I'm a BlackBerry fan and wouldn't take the time of day to go on one of the competitors site to voice a negative opinion. Seriously man,what's the point in that. Let everyone make their own choices by what they see in front of them and not be swayed by negativity.

Posted via CB10

But you would have been perfectly OK with someone voicing a positive opinion right? I love how you refer this to a competitor's site for me I have been a member here for 2 years, all while owning a BlackBerry.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-15-13 06:32 AM
    Yes that may be true in your opinion but check crackberry in your browser and see what definition comes up. Please go and offer a positive opinion somewhere else where it will be welcomed and come off the negativity train. Users are the ones who can offer the best opinions because we are the ones who use the phones on a daily basis. You can't just look at a device with a warped approach and expect your views to be a true representation of what the actual user experience would be. Seriously though, it is quite clear to all what you are trying to do here and my advice to you is to take your opinions, add a positive twist to is and write on another forum where readers will be happy to share your views. Add something positive to life!!!!!

Posted via CB10

Not everything is positive. You need to view it from a complete spectrum from all sides. I see it and tell it like it is.

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-15-13 06:40 AM
    Aaron

It was a good and honest review, I am going to Verizon this morning to look at the z30 myself even though I am on T-Mobile USA. I seen a used unlocked z30 pop up on Craigslist here and want to experience the device first hand before shelling out any cash. As you know I have a z10 and a iPhone 5 with BBM which I am using as my primary device at the moment because of the issues I having with the leak I have installed on my z10, but I find myself missing the Hub for my messaging and the larger screen is a plus for me being I wear glasses already. I will let everyone know my observations after I have played with the z30 myself.

I wonder if folks who read these forums realize that this is the only place you can go and get biased reviews, unbiased reviews and opinions of Blackberry products and I do respect every users opinion out there, I really do. Thats what makes this site better then any other one I have participated in.
    pantlesspenguin and redantz like this.
    11-15-13 06:43 AM
    I know the camera was not the focus of the post. But having the same camera from the z10 would not be an issue for me. Would I have preferred an upgrade.....yes. but I have to say I love the z10 camera. People comment all the time on my photos how vivid the colors are and speed of the camera. Including those with s4.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:44 AM
    Ajst is perfectly entitled to his opinion. But it's just that, an opinion. Take it as it is. He isn't a Z30 user and he isn't some tech blogger not giving the device a good old try and then voicing his opinion. This is purely his "first impressions". Unfortunately trying out for a minute in a store doesn't give you the full picture about this device (battery life, speakers etc). Although I disagree with a lot of his points, it doesn't really matter. Smart people wouldn't take this opinion as final and I'd like to think they'd go try the device for themselves, and make up their own opinion.

Posted via CB10
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    11-15-13 06:46 AM
    Not everything is positive. You need to view it from a complete spectrum from all sides. I see it and tell it like it is.

I said users experience would be upwards of 80% positive and that far outweighs any single opinion from a non user any day. This is a democracy we have here. You are obviously campaigning for the other side too. It matters not how long you've been a member or how how long you've been using BlackBerry devices anyway. What matters is now. Are you presently using a BlackBerry Z30 or do you own one? Well I do and I'm very happy with it just as most others that own same.. my point was also that your opinions would have been better received on a competitor's site where you can go and point out some positive features of the iPhone 5S over the BlackBerry Z30 for example rather than coming here and voicing negativity. I know the Z30 is not for everyone but why not look and move on. Why take the time to try and sway others. That's what I have issues with. If I were to make the time to go on a competitors site and read negative things about BlackBerry when compared to the phone of their choice I won't have a problem with that because that's where it ought to be.

Posted via CB10
    zed_10 likes this.
    11-15-13 06:51 AM
    People want the brightest 5" screens, 1080p resolution, speakers worthy of your home surround sound system, a battery that lasts a week, quad-core 64-bit processor, super thin, super light, and want it to cost $99! LOL!

Some things counteract the others. You want super-bright 1080p screen, super fast processors; battery life with suffer. Manufacturers have to consider all of the above; keeping end-user price-point in mind (as well as their margins).

Come on people. Be realistic. I think the Z30 is awesome! Can't wait until the Fedex truck pulls up today with mine!
    TrueKulcha, DJM626 and zyad like this.
    11-15-13 08:47 AM
    People want the brightest 5" screens, 1080p resolution, speakers worthy of your home surround sound system, a battery that lasts a week, quad-core 64-bit processor, super thin, super light, and want it to cost $99! LOL!

Some things counteract the others. You want super-bright 1080p screen, super fast processors; battery life with suffer. Manufacturers have to consider all of the above; keeping end-user price-point in mind (as well as their margins).

Come on people. Be realistic. I think the Z30 is awesome! Can't wait until the Fedex truck pulls up today with mine!
    I think the party has started hahaha. One person is already posting pics of theirs and I'm feeling the excitement too lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 09:08 AM
    It's a fair criticism if other phones are providing better quality displays for the same or lower prices. It's sad to read this evaluation, because this really
    is the phone that TH bragged about, that's supposed to be help BlackBerry stop the bleeding.

My god people are spoilt and have their priorities all wrong these days, this is a phone we are talking about, not a frigging 50" TV.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.0.1791

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 likes this.
    11-15-13 09:09 AM
    Yes, similar to the GSIII...a phone that was released long ago. The GSIV has a much better screen. And also, the latest version of Android can run effectively run on 512MB of RAM. The same can't be said about BB10 which appears to require 2GB. BB10 is a resource hog. Both arguments are invalid.

BB10 can run on 1GB of RAM. The whole RAM issue after the situation with the Playbook was blasted way out of proportion and the forum took it and ran. Also, nobody is buying Android phones with 512 MB of RAM these days because they DO NOT function well under regular use so don't allude to it. Kitkat is supposed to improve on that even more though. I'm not disagreeing with you. I get your point, but I think you're putting too much emphasis on factors that don't hold as much "actual use" values as you suggest.

I've got a new Nexus 7 with 2GB of RAM and my Q10 runs circles around it with its minimum RAM. That's "actual use." Your issues with the display are all valid, but lay off the RAM "requirement"

Posted with my Q10!
    clickitykeys and zyad like this.
    11-15-13 09:24 AM
    I still can't wait to check one out myself in a store.

11-15-13 09:27 AM
    Except it is last year's chipset. The S4 was replaced by the 800 and the HTC One uses a 600 which is a step down from the high end 800.

It isn't. Qualcomm updated their S4 Pro processor. That's what makes the Moto X different from the Nexus 4. You make fair arguments though. Why pay the same price for a device with inferior hardware? By that logic, the Z30 should be priced at $150. I sincerely believed that, that should be the pricing, but the Z30 has additional, less talked about improvements that I believe warrant the pricing at $200.

I'd love to see a Z30 with a Snapdragon 800. Perhaps we'll see BlackBerry devices like that early next year. I wouldn't for a second think that just because the Z30 has the S4 Pro, that the galaxy S4 can run circles around it. You shouldn't either because all Android devices will slow down at some point.

Here's the difference in my thinking though. I want high end quad core processors so my BlackBerry phone can REALLY do some mobile computing.

Posted with my Q10!
    11-15-13 09:38 AM
    but the Z30 owners are only people on this board who are biased..no one else has bought it and honestly no one will
    Unfortunately, that your assumption is very much wrong. It is what is referred to as "being guilty of hasty generalization"! I walked into a friend of mine, who by teh way always teased me about being a BlackBerry fan and he was upgrading his phones (his +wifey) and had decided to buy a Z30 and a S4.

I explained to him that he would have a much better experience with Wifey is they are both on the same platform and thus could take advantage of platform specific integrations, apps etc. When I saw him next day, he had bought 2 Z30s. When I asked why, he said he just loved the feel of the Z30 and is willing to find out what have been crazy about.

So my dear, many that are not CrackBerry members are buying the phones.
    11-15-13 10:09 AM
    Visited the Verizon store on Water and Wall street in New York City before heading into the office. The Q10 (white) and Black Z30 was in plain sight as soon as you walk in.

The OS was 10.2.0.(something) and it was not in Demo Mode. It is a sleek looking handset with its rounded edges, It fits and feels nicely in my average hands. I use a Otterbox for my Z10 and loved the feeling of this Naked Z30.

No pixilations were apparent on the display -- NONE! The brightness was set to medium. I adjusted it to maximum and it was just as good as my Z10.

With the latest OS loaded Im sure I will be satisfied. Will place my order today for a Monday delivery.

While in the store..
    Overheard an older lady complaining about her "new" Blackberry. She had an older (damaged) Bold in her hand and a new inactivated Z10 in an open box. She was raising hell because she wanted a Black Querty phone (Q10) and they shipped a Black Z10. Unfortunately, they only had a White Q10 in Stock!

Gotta love those keyboard hold outs!!
    11-15-13 10:55 AM
    But my main problem with the Z30 is the price. I'm not saying it's a bad phone at all but for what it is and with BlackBerry's soiled reputation (they should know lower pricing can help win battles), I think the price is $50 too high. $150 on contract sounds good.
    Should Audi lower the price of the A4 because Toyota sells more Corollas?
    Of course not.
    If $50 puts that much of a dent in your finances, you/they should wait for a less expensive model or purchase some other device.

Posted via CB10
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    11-15-13 11:56 AM
    Of course not.
    If Audi were struggling and can't move enough inventory to sustain itself, ABSOLUTELY.
    ajst222 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    11-15-13 12:01 PM
    It's true, but it makes it a little hard to spring for the 'upgrade' from my Z10, when I feel I'm losing a bit. Other than the physical dimension considerations (and the money to be spent), there shouldn't be anything that should give a prospective upgrader any second thoughts...especially coming from a 'predecessor' of the same brand/ecosystem. It should all be greater or at least equal.

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 is not for me. I feel like the camera and screen should be a bump up from the Z10. I never want to feel like I am going backwards when I upgrade a device. However, that being said, if the Z30 comes out in white, and for a competitive price on AT&T, I will probably buy one. Just for kicks.
    11-15-13 12:05 PM
    Could the brightness be in the auto dimmer or whatever they call it? Is that in bb10?

I know it never works right on any bb I've owned. I can shut it off and friggen will still dim the screen or make it brighter in different lighting.
    11-15-13 12:11 PM
    Of course not.
    If $50 puts that much of a dent in your finances, you/they should wait for a less expensive model or purchase some other device.

Posted via CB10

Except Audi has a spot in the marketplace and is selling cars. Audi also has a great consumer perception of making high end products. BlackBerry has none of that. And it's not that I can't afford it, it's that compared to the competition, the Z30 isn't worth it at the same price.

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-15-13 12:13 PM
    If Audi were struggling and can't move enough inventory to sustain itself, ABSOLUTELY.
    That's exactly why I picked them as an example. They did the opposite when they were perceived as struggling.
    They redesigned the model and maintained the pricing. Sound familiar? The one thing they did that BlackBerry has yet to do is marketing.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 12:13 PM
    Yes, in your world of economics.

Posted via CB10
    Kimberella and Tre Lawrence like this.
    11-15-13 12:14 PM
    It's unfortunate that BlackBerry neglected to make a display worthy of a flagship. Even the ginger kid of nokia family, my N9 has a better display than the Z30 I tried in store.
    I have been using a Nokia N9 for the last 2 years. I briefly had a Z30 (dead pixel in the middle of screen so went back). Despite the dead pixel the Z30 screen was far better--higher resolution, better white balance, very rich looking. I think you could argue that the Z30 was dimmer, but it would be a VERY close call IMHO. So close to not matter.
    I think this obsession with brightness is odd. But some people do seem to need it. Maybe it's an ophthalmological problem. Most people I know have iPhones, and whenever they try to show me something on their screens the brightness is all the way up. And there have been times I simply could not look at what they were trying to show me because it was so bright it was uncomfortable. In a dark room with the brightness all the way up, it's like shining a flashlight in my eyes.
    OLEDs are great in sunlight without needing to be cranked up so much. My N9 is easier to see in daylight than all the iPhones I see. I'll bet the Z30 is the same.
    To me it's like the sales tactics for TVs in the stores; they really crank up the brightness and saturation in the store for the wow factor. But if you leave those setting that way for watching in your living room, then you're not gonna have a good time. I see no need to have my phone brighter than the Z30 goes.
    My 2 cents.
    DJM626 likes this.
    11-15-13 12:16 PM
    Yes, in your world of economics.

Posted via CB10
    LOL... in a normal world where smartphone choice is not a determination of the quality of life?

Funnily enough, the person who posed the rhetorical question seems to disagree with you.

But, for kicks, in your world of economics, what would a struggling manufacturer do? Keep prices high even though they ain't moving backlogged inventory?

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-15-13 12:18 PM
    Yes, similar to the GSIII...a phone that was released long ago. The GSIV has a much better screen. And also, the latest version of Android can run effectively run on 512MB of RAM. The same can't be said about BB10 which appears to require 2GB. BB10 is a resource hog. Both arguments are invalid.
    The PlayBook runs an older version of BB10 (PlayBook OS) on just 1 GB of RAM. So your theory of "needing" 2 GB of RAM doesn't hold water. The reason for the 2 GB is for all the added features in BlackBerry 10 such as the Hub, BBM, remote file sharing, etc. that do not exist as core elements on other platforms. Plus, we all know that BB10 is also running the Android runtime as well, which also needs RAM. So if you ask me, it' does one heck of a job doing all that on 2 GB or RAM. Also, RAM is not just for the OS so when you say Android can run on 512 MB of RAM, how many apps can you also run and how much RAM is leftover for these apps after the OS uses up part of the 512 MB? Note that when I don't have any apps running on my Q10, I still have 1.2 GB of free RAM.

One last thing I want to add is that people should not just be comparing specs. If display mattered that much, then the original iPad Mini would not have sold. Instead, Apple sold millions even though the iPad with Retina was on display right next to it. Also, whenever I look at other people's phones, I notice the display brightness is also down to save battery. So while you might say the display on the Z30 isn't as good as other devices, the Z30 has things that are better than other devices. The speakers. HDMI output. Battery life. USB OTG. And I can go on and on. Maybe for *you*, the display is your top priority but for others, it may not be and is worth the price tag, especially now with the APK support in 10.2.1.
    11-15-13 12:21 PM
149 12345 ...