The manufacturers have a say in the pricing

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

IF.. and that is a big IF manufactures have a say in the subsidized price that carriers charge for a device, how do you explain Tmobile (it may have been Sprint too) charging $249 or $299 for the 9900 when it was released? Especially when AT&T released a few weeks to a month later for $199 and then Tmobile (sprint) dropped their price to $199....
    11-14-13 10:12 PM
    The carriers set the price,not blackberry. Good god,why can't people realize this?

Sent from my SM-N900P using CB Forums mobile app
    I agree.. It is frustrating to read comments both here and on other sites *cough* BGR *cough* that bash BBRY for not having a clue about pricing. Granted, I think that BBRY devices should be a little cheaper than Samsung and Apple devices to help drive adoption in those price conscious buyers...but it isn't BBRY's dealing when it comes to setting a subsidized price.
    howards likes this.
    11-14-13 10:16 PM
    I've had my Z30 for a little more than a week, I use brightness at 50% and I can see fine outdoors with a very strong sun, haven't seen pixelation neither in pictures nor in text, have compared with a galaxy s4 side to side with the same picture and it's almost imperceptible the difference, the s4 is a little more vivid with the colors but not to much of a difference.
    11-14-13 10:24 PM
    The Z10 has one of the brightest screens of any phone I have ever seen or used. Not only is is bright, but it is also very crisp like you said. Very vibrant and not dull in any way. So I think that the Z30 screen is a step down from the Z10.

While the Z30 might be fine for a lot of "normal uses" like you said, I imagine it isn't very good in the sun. Is that true? I am curious. The brightness (even at the highest level) just doesn't do it for me and I don't think it's enough.

i guess you must have special edition z10 because i do not feel the same about my z10. when i played with z30 i thought that the screen is way better than on z10.
    11-14-13 11:01 PM
    I will know more after Saturday when the Z30 arrives but under normal use, and by this I mean browsing, texting and even photo viewing, I couldn?t see the pixilating at all. But I could definitely see the larger screen real estate and keyboard. And it seemed quicker. The Z30 could handle larger fonts better than the Z10 in the way the text fit the larger screen.

I don't intend to use the z30 much to make exacting comparisons to other phone displays. I won't much max-zoom out and hold the screen a half inch from my eyes.

Some have the eyes for ultra-sharp and tiny and maybe the Z30 isn't for them. But for me, the display was bright and sharp enough. If it is comparatively a softer pallete than over-pixeled rivals or alternatives, the Z30 sure was easy on my eyes, no small thing. And I was very disappointed with the spec set for the Z30, before I got to see it for myself. Come on ATT!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 11:21 PM
    This thread seems more like a 'suddle' bash on the Z30 from the OP than anything else. After all, he was going in to get an iPhone, not to see if there was a Z30 in store.

There's been lots of reviews and people that have had a few moments with a Z30 and have stated the screen is dull and pixelates, last year's specks, no 1080p screen, etc, etc. But then all these people that actually HAVE a Z30 have stated the opposite. That the screen is awesome, everything is comparable to other similar devices.

So far now, I'm gonna lean to the side of actual Z30 owners. But I will still wait and see for myself.

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    8lackberry8 likes this.
    11-14-13 11:22 PM
    I have both the z30 and the z10 and to be honest I don't really see why there is so much aggravation regarding the display on the z30.

Personally I think the display on the Z30 is great, nice crisp and clear and not an issue using it in sunlight.

It is different to the z10, the whites are not as crisp ( but you do have to look for it) and the colours in my opinion seem a bit more vivid.

Reading some of the posts you would think that it had a monochrome screen from the early 1990's.

I definitely prefer the z30 over the z10.

Mike Duncan on my Z30
    Can you or someone else who has both the Z10 and Z30, take a pic of them together in full brightness with some text and colourful photo? The pic should be clear

Posted via My Black BlackBerry Zed-10
    11-15-13 12:20 AM
    I agree.. It is frustrating to read comments both here and on other sites *cough* BGR *cough* that bash BBRY for not having a clue about pricing. Granted, I think that BBRY devices should be a little cheaper than Samsung and Apple devices to help drive adoption in those price conscious buyers...but it isn't BBRY's dealing when it comes to setting a subsidized price.
    The subsidized price is based on the unlocked price so yes the manufacturer has a saying
    11-15-13 12:42 AM
    This thread seems more like a 'suddle' bash on the Z30 from the OP than anything else. After all, he was going in to get an iPhone, not to see if there was a Z30 in store.

There's been lots of reviews and people that have had a few moments with a Z30 and have stated the screen is dull and pixelates, last year's specks, no 1080p screen, etc, etc. But then all these people that actually HAVE a Z30 have stated the opposite. That the screen is awesome, everything is comparable to other similar devices.

So far now, I'm gonna lean to the side of actual Z30 owners. But I will still wait and see for myself.

but the Z30 owners are only people on this board who are biased..no one else has bought it and honestly no one will
    11-15-13 12:43 AM
    I just want to add that I had the same complaints going from a z10 to a q10 for about a month and a half but I now think the q10 screen looks better than the z10 in almost every way. I have heard that OLED screens have to get "warmed up" for a while before they can reach full maximum brightness and crispness and that was my experience with the Q10 so it may be the same with the z30

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 12:46 AM
    The subsidized price is based on the unlocked price so yes the manufacturer has a saying
    I'm not following your logic on that statement. Both subsidized price and unlocked price are based on carrier. Perhaps you meant the price the carrier pays? BlackBerry can put MSRP but it isn't necessarily going to be followed. But carriers are going to price competitively though so there is not much deviation from MSRP anyway.
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    11-15-13 12:59 AM
    but the Z30 owners are only people on this board who are biased..no one else has bought it and honestly no one will
    Ok. Another one. So everyone on this board who owns the phone and likes it is biased? And nobody else has bought the phone so there is no unbiased opinion of the Z30 and never will be?

I'm with the last guy. People said all kinds of stuff about how the Q10 screen sucked and was dim. Where's all that gone? This screen is great. Oh wait right disregard that I'm biased. I own a Q10. Don't listen to me.
    11-15-13 01:04 AM
    Here are my Z30 First Impressions-img_0749.jpg
    This is a pic I got from the net, in this the Z30 has the dimmer and the least crispier display. But I wanna see how it compares with a Z10, so anyone with pics of a Z10 and Z30 together?

11-15-13 01:09 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	220941
    This is a pic I got from the net, in this the Z30 has the dimmer and the least crispier display. But I wanna see how it compares with a Z10, so anyone with pics of a Z10 and Z30 together?

Yes quite a bit dimmer. It would be better to know the settings of each phone. In reality all displays should be of the same type and all should be burned in for the same amount of time. Software wise I believe setting it to the very middle is fair but I guess all full bright is fine. But if thats's the case the Z30 will be dimmer anyway depending on how much ambient light it's sensor is picking up. For example take a small flashlight and stand in a dark room. With the flashlight off turn the display to its max brightness. Put the flashlight over the sensor and turn it on. Immediately you will notice the screen get even brighter than that. In the case of this comparison some people may like the brighter screen in this low lighting condition. Personally it would probably hurt my eyes. Most people will get eye fatigue staring at the brighter screens. As for crispness that literally is in the eye of the beholder.
    11-15-13 01:20 AM
    Let me get this straight...you're trying to tell me what my priorities should be? Also, don't bring up the stupid TV resolution argument. It's pointless and stupid on so many levels.

Also: yes, you're right. This is a phone and not a 50" TV. And since I look at my phone far more than my 50" TV, is it wrong for me to want a good display?

I second that.Just saw a youtube video done by Lucas n4bb on comparison of z30 and note 3.Guys let me tell you when both phones were not turned on side by side z30 looked much premium and miles ahead of design language.And when the he turned on both the phone screens.Thats it i didnt continued watching.Both of them are super amoled,but note 3 was brighter by nautical miles than z30.
    I wish BB release another flagship phone with everything on par atleast with the competition.I strongly feel the next bb10 device they will get everything right.

11-15-13 01:26 AM

While the Z30 is a very sharp looking device and I love BB10, I don't think I could bring myself to get it. I could live with last year's chipset, ...
    Except it isn't last year's chipset... It uses the same krait 300 cores as an HTC one (ie. Snapdragon 600) only in a dual-core configuration, and has slightly slower (500mhz vs 533mhz) memory.

Nothing last year about it.
    11-15-13 01:53 AM
    While the PPI of Z30 is less than other leading brands, your eyes will adjust to the lower pixels after a while. I had same beef with PPI of Surface Pro 2 (208 PPI) compared to 435 of my phone but after 2 weeks of heavy use the screen of SP2 is quite sharp. My eyes definitely adjusted.
    11-15-13 03:21 AM
    I just don't understand posts like these.

I have seen many phones in stores that I don't like for one reason or another, but have never and I mean NEVER sought out any online forum dedicated to that certain brand of phone just to create a post complaining about the screen, chipset and price and proclaim that I wouldn't buy that phone.

I have, on the other hand, come to forums to post questions and expect to find answers from people that have actually purchased these devices.

I just don't understand the purpose of posts like these.
    11-15-13 03:27 AM
    By any chance, was the security tag covering the ambient light sensor?

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 03:38 AM
    Except it isn't last year's chipset... It uses the same krait 300 cores as an HTC one (ie. Snapdragon 600) only in a dual-core configuration, and has slightly slower (500mhz vs 533mhz) memory.

Nothing last year about it.

Except it is last year's chipset. The S4 was replaced by the 800 and the HTC One uses a 600 which is a step down from the high end 800.

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-15-13 05:53 AM
    By any chance, was the security tag covering the ambient light sensor?

Posted via CB10

There was no security tag on the front of the phone.

11-15-13 05:56 AM

I never said I was getting an iPhone 5s, I said I was looking at one. There's a difference. And you're right, almost every reviewer brings up the list of shortcomings (which are reasonable) while the owners say the opposite. I think that's because the only people who have he device are CrackBerry fanatics who are blindly defending a phone just because it's BlackBerry and calling anyone a troll who says otherwise.

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-15-13 06:00 AM
    Message to the OP and his/her loyal sheep
    *It is better to conceal one's knowledge than to reveal one's ignorance. - Spanish Proverb
    I woke up this morning hoping that this post will go as one that's just ignored by the more educated readers but apparently it wasn't. This OP is clearly anti- BlackBerry and is trying to sway people from one of the best devices on the market today. I'm one who used a Z10 for months and switched to Z30 and there's no comparison in the overall user experience.

Posted via CB10
    Doolittle2 likes this.
    11-15-13 06:02 AM
    I never said I was getting an iPhone 5s, I said I was looking at one. There's a difference. And you're right, almost every reviewer brings up the list of shortcomings (which are reasonable) while the owners say the opposite. I think that's because the only people who have he device are CrackBerry fanatics who are blindly defending a phone just because it's BlackBerry and calling anyone a troll who says otherwise.

Yes that may be true in your opinion but check crackberry in your browser and see what definition comes up. Please go and offer a positive opinion somewhere else where it will be welcomed and come off the negativity train. Users are the ones who can offer the best opinions because we are the ones who use the phones on a daily basis. You can't just look at a device with a warped approach and expect your views to be a true representation of what the actual user experience would be. Seriously though, it is quite clear to all what you are trying to do here and my advice to you is to take your opinions, add a positive twist to is and write on another forum where readers will be happy to share your views. Add something positive to life!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:10 AM
    Message to the OP and his/her loyal sheep
    *It is better to conceal one's knowledge than to reveal one's ignorance. - Spanish Proverb
    I woke up this morning hoping that this post will go as one that's just ignored by the more educated readers but apparently it wasn't. This OP is clearly anti- BlackBerry and is trying to sway people from one of the best devices on the market today. I'm one who used a Z10 for months and switched to Z30 and there's no comparison in the overall user experience.

Posted via CB10

Not at all. I am just giving my opinion on the device. And I am not "anti BlackBerry". I love BB10. But here's the problem: any time anyone respectfully and rightfully points out and flaws, they are deemed as anti BlackBerry. And often those users are more of a sheep than those they call a sheep.

11-15-13 06:10 AM
149 1234 ...