I originally walked into the Verizon store today to check out the iPhone 5s and saw that the Z30 was there sitting right next to the Q10. I didn't expect to see it because I could have swore that I saw that it was only available online, so it was a bit of a surprise. I went to Verizon to look at phones for my upgrade as it has been due since August.

The first thing I noticed was the screen. It wasn't the lower pixel density that I noticed first, but how dim it was. I checked to see if the brightness was all the way up and it was. The display was also quite dull. Colors simply were not vibrant. I just really can't describe how dim, dull, and uninspired everything looked and felt. The Z30 display is easily the dimmest display I have ever seen on a smartphone.

Everything was slightly pixelated. It wasn't horrible, but it was definitely noticeable. I really expected more out of the display out of BlackBerry's supposed flagship device. Compared to any high end phone in the store, the Z30's display simply cannot compete on the pixel density front (crispness, clearness/clarity) as well as the colors and brightness.

On a positive note as I have expressed before, I have always been a huge fan of the design. The hardware was what I expected and it felt very nice. The phone has great ergonomics and feels great in the hand and I personally feel that it is a perfect size.

While the Z30 is a very sharp looking device and I love BB10, I don't think I could bring myself to get it. I could live with last year's chipset, but the same poor camera as the Z10 along with the adequate-ish screen and lack of apps are all huge factors. For the $199.99 on contract price (which is the standard price for flagships), it just doesn't stack up and there aren't any real incentives to choose the Z30 over the competition. The battery life and sound quality just aren't compelling enough especially when weighing and considering the drawbacks. These are just my thoughts.
    loyalIND, milo53, howards and 2 others like this.
    11-14-13 06:20 PM
    I actually thought the brightness was (after jacking-up the brightness slider) comparable to what I run my Z10 at for comfort. I did however notice the reduced 'cripsness' that I've become accustomed to with the Z10. I guess when you stare at one device exclusively you probably stop noticing it, but man... I sure wish I didn't even have to.
    FastLane228 likes this.
    11-14-13 06:50 PM
    I actually thought the brightness was (after jacking-up the brightness slider) comparable to what I run my Z10 at for comfort. I did however notice the reduced 'cripsness' that I've become accustomed to with the Z10. I guess when you stare at one device exclusively you probably stop noticing it, but man... I sure wish I didn't even have to.

The Z10 has one of the brightest screens of any phone I have ever seen or used. Not only is is bright, but it is also very crisp like you said. Very vibrant and not dull in any way. So I think that the Z30 screen is a step down from the Z10.

While the Z30 might be fine for a lot of "normal uses" like you said, I imagine it isn't very good in the sun. Is that true? I am curious. The brightness (even at the highest level) just doesn't do it for me and I don't think it's enough.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    kelvinlin likes this.
    11-14-13 06:57 PM
    The Z10 has one of the brightest screens of any phone I have ever seen or used. Not only is is bright, but it is also very crisp like you said. Very vibrant and not dull in any way. So I think that the Z30 screen is a step down from the Z10.

While the Z30 might be fine for a lot of "normal uses" like you said, I imagine it isn't very good in the sun. Is that true? I am curious. The brightness (even at the highest level) just doesn't do it for me and I don't think it's enough.

I find that the screen is more than bright enough for outdoor use on sunny days myself, but apparently I have incredibly good eyesight.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    bb624 and FastLane228 like this.
    11-14-13 07:12 PM
    It's unfortunate that BlackBerry neglected to make a display worthy of a flagship. Even the ginger kid of nokia family, my N9 has a better display than the Z30 I tried in store.

It just goes to show once again, the soul of BlackBerry: extremely efficient and very good in almost everything it does, but just not very good in certain aspects that has nothing to do with communication.

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 likes this.
    11-14-13 07:14 PM
    My god people are spoilt and have their priorities all wrong these days, this is a phone we are talking about, not a frigging 50" TV.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.0.1791

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 07:45 PM
    My god people are spoilt and have their priorities all wrong these days, this is a phone we are talking about, not a frigging 50" TV.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.0.1791

Posted via CB10
    It's true, but it makes it a little hard to spring for the 'upgrade' from my Z10, when I feel I'm losing a bit. Other than the physical dimension considerations (and the money to be spent), there shouldn't be anything that should give a prospective upgrader any second thoughts...especially coming from a 'predecessor' of the same brand/ecosystem. It should all be greater or at least equal.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 07:52 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.2.0.1791

Posted via CB10

Let me get this straight...you're trying to tell me what my priorities should be? Also, don't bring up the stupid TV resolution argument. It's pointless and stupid on so many levels.

Also: yes, you're right. This is a phone and not a 50" TV. And since I look at my phone far more than my 50" TV, is it wrong for me to want a good display?

11-14-13 07:57 PM
    Thoughtful review. I have used my z30 for almost a month now and quite enjoy the screen. I don't notice the pixels. I think screen is something your eyes quickly get used to and then just become normal. I don't doubt your observations but I think any screen just becomes normal over time. The question is if the screen is functional. At this point I have much preferred the z30 over my iPhone 4 and find searching the net and such much nicer with the larger screen. I do agree that the camera is quite poor and lucky for me I do not use my phone as a camera often and if I do it's for business not for quality shots.

Bottom line is I think blackberries fit well for some people but not most.

Posted via my Z30
    11-14-13 07:57 PM
    Thoughtful review. I have used my z30 for almost a month now and quite enjoy the screen. I don't notice the pixels. I think screen is something your eyes quickly get used to and then just become normal. I don't doubt your observations but I think any screen just becomes normal over time. The question is if the screen is functional. At this point I have much preferred the z30 over my iPhone 4 and find searching the net and such much nicer with the larger screen. I do agree that the camera is quite poor and lucky for me I do not use my phone as a camera often and if I do it's for business not for quality shots.

Bottom line is I think blackberries fit well for some people but not most.

Posted via my Z30

Thanks for the reply! I get you when you say it becomes normal over time and how your eyes sort of "adapt" but it's just tough for a consumer to choose a Z30 over an iPhone 5s or Galaxy S IV when the latter two have blatantly better screens when comparing in store.

But my main problem with the Z30 is the price. I'm not saying it's a bad phone at all but for what it is and with BlackBerry's soiled reputation (they should know lower pricing can help win battles), I think the price is $50 too high. $150 on contract sounds good.

11-14-13 08:04 PM
    I actually have a Z30 and can't really relate to what you are describing. I am looking at it close up and I don't see any pixelation. As to colours and brightness, I keep mine at about 70%...more than enough and I think it's very crisp and bright. I've compared it to others, at least at a glance and I don't notice the deficiencies you are referring to. Was the one you looked at in demo mode? I will look again in curiosity, but does it really make sense that when they are producing these things as relatively new models that it would be as deficient as you describe? Check another one.
    webmeister, TrueKulcha and cman5 like this.
    11-14-13 08:08 PM
    I actually have a Z30 and can't really relate to what you are describing. I am looking at it close up and I don't see any pixelation. As to colours and brightness, I keep mine at about 70%...more than enough and I think it's very crisp and bright. I've compared it to others, at least at a glance and I don't notice the deficiencies you are referring to. Was the one you looked at in demo mode? I will look again in curiosity, but does it really make sense that when they are producing these things as relatively new models that it would be as deficient as you describe? Check another one.

It was in normal mode. The phones that it was compared to would be the iPhone 5s, Galaxy S IV, and even the Q10 was noticeably brighter.

Even though these are new models, BlackBerry put in last year's chipset, leftover Z10 cameras, and the minimum amount of RAM to run BB10. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised that the screen would also be overlooked along with the premium price tag.

milo53 likes this.
    11-14-13 08:14 PM
    Yeah agreed with mostly all of the OP's post. Think I'm gonna hold off on the Z30 and truck it through with my Q10
    BryantCarpio and Spencerdl like this.
    11-14-13 08:18 PM
    It was in normal mode. The phones that it was compared to would be the iPhone 5s, Galaxy S IV, and even the Q10 was noticeably brighter.

Even though these are new models, BlackBerry put in last year's chipset, leftover Z10 cameras, and the minimum amount of RAM to run BB10. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised that the screen would also be overlooked along with the premium price tag.

It is a Super AMOLED screen as described. Similar to the one used in the Galaxy SIII. I thought it had 2 MB of RAM, same as the Galaxy S4?
    11-14-13 08:19 PM
    It is a Super AMOLED screen as described. Similar to the one used in the Galaxy SIII. I thought it had 2 MB of RAM, same as the Galaxy S4?

Yes, similar to the GSIII...a phone that was released long ago. The GSIV has a much better screen. And also, the latest version of Android can run effectively run on 512MB of RAM. The same can't be said about BB10 which appears to require 2GB. BB10 is a resource hog. Both arguments are invalid.

11-14-13 08:25 PM
    Um have you ever seen an iPhone 4S? Not even a 5S or 5 but a 4S. I have put them side by side and its night and day with both at full brightness.
    11-14-13 08:25 PM
    Yeah agreed with mostly all of the OP's post. Think I'm gonna hold off on the Z30 and truck it through with my Q10

I would be interested to see a Q30 if done right.

neoberry99 likes this.
    11-14-13 08:27 PM
    I have both the z30 and the z10 and to be honest I don't really see why there is so much aggravation regarding the display on the z30.

Personally I think the display on the Z30 is great, nice crisp and clear and not an issue using it in sunlight.

It is different to the z10, the whites are not as crisp ( but you do have to look for it) and the colours in my opinion seem a bit more vivid.

Reading some of the posts you would think that it had a monochrome screen from the early 1990's.

I definitely prefer the z30 over the z10.

Mike Duncan on my Z30
    webmeister, Camelhmpz and Pdinos3 like this.
    11-14-13 08:52 PM
    Thanks for the reply! I get you when you say it becomes normal over time and how your eyes sort of "adapt" but it's just tough for a consumer to choose a Z30 over an iPhone 5s or Galaxy S IV when the latter two have blatantly better screens when comparing in store.

But my main problem with the Z30 is the price. I'm not saying it's a bad phone at all but for what it is and with BlackBerry's soiled reputation (they should know lower pricing can help win battles), I think the price is $50 too high. $150 on contract sounds good.

The carriers set the price,not blackberry. Good god,why can't people realize this?

Sent from my SM-N900P using CB Forums mobile app
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    11-14-13 08:59 PM
    The carriers set the price,not blackberry. Good god,why can't people realize this?

The manufacturers have a say in the pricing

milo53 likes this.
    11-14-13 09:00 PM
    Yes, similar to the GSIII...a phone that was released long ago. The GSIV has a much better screen. And also, the latest version of Android can run effectively run on 512MB of RAM. The same can't be said about BB10 which appears to require 2GB. BB10 is a resource hog. Both arguments are invalid.

My note 3 has 3 gigabytes of ram.I do miss my Q10.

11-14-13 09:01 PM
    A factor you may want to consider that in a leaked software version, there is a white balance adjustment feature. Not saying that it is going to be a godsend by any means, but I am sure it is going to help compensate considerably.
    extisis likes this.
    11-14-13 09:03 PM
    [QUOTE=ajst222;9544305]Yes, similar to the GSIII...a phone that was released long ago. The GSIV has a much better screen. And also, the latest version of Android can run effectively run on 512MB of RAM. The same can't be said about BB10 which appears to require 2GB. BB10 is a resource hog. Both arguments are invalid.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Well you may characterize it as a resource hog, but after using a Z10 for months now, and switching to a Z30, processing speed, at least for me, is very fast with good document readability and improved reliability. I will compare it to a Galaxy S4 tomorrow and see out of interest, but in the work environment the S4 is not available to me for now. The bigger screen of Z30 is so much easier to use.
    11-14-13 09:14 PM

I don't agree. Android can run on 512MB of RAM, but not effectively. It is really really slowww and so laggy. At this moment, I'm using an android device with that amount of ram, because my z10 was stolen recently, and I can assure you that it is a disaster. It's even really hard to answer the phone and use any app on it. So, I think BB10 "needs" 2GB of ram just to guarantee that you have a nice experience with your device. That's why I think your arguments are not valid. Even the S4 is slow when you have used it a long time.
    FastLane228 and LWKING like this.
    11-14-13 09:40 PM
    It is $150 after you use the coupon for upgrading or adding a new line of service. I posted it last night when I bought the phone.
    11-14-13 09:55 PM
149 123 ...