Thought I would share this

I was in Best Buy in Whitby Ontario today.and asked a male employee in the cell phone dept if he had any
    Z30's in stock.

Male Employee: Looking around and then asked me Z30?
    Me: Yes it just came out and its made by Blackberry.
    Male Employee: One sec while I ask someone. So he asked a female employee if they have any Q30's so I
    quickly corrected him.
    Female Empoyee: Yes there is a demo in the middle cabinet!
    Male Employee looks and deesnt see it so he asked the female employee where it is
    Female Employee: Its the box there that says Z30 on it
    she pulls it off the shelf that was in plain site and hands it too him. He takes it out of the box and so I asked
    if he could turn it on. He fumbled for a while and asked the female employee how to turn it on.
    She shows him and then I held out my hand. I was actually very impressed with it as I have never tried a Z10
    and I own a Q10. I then asked him if I could buy it outright and he said I could only buy it on contract or as an
    upgrade. So I asked him how much could I get for a trade in on my Q10. He said $50. So I asked him if
    he could double check on that as I said it didnt sound right. Of course he asked his female counterpart again
    and she said $200. So I played with the Z30 for a while and thanked them both. I think I am going to Telus to by
    one. Oh forgot to mention when I asked the female employee what was the difference between the Z10 and
    Z30 (just for fun) and she said there is no difference at all except the model number so I had to hold it
    side by side to the Z10 and asked her if she saw a difference. I also told her to compare the specs since she
    might be selling a few in te next little while. I really dont understand why the Z30 is available at Best Buy
    and the sales staff are not even aware of it, let alone know how to use it. There is something seriously wrong
    with what I experienced today! As I was leaving, I noticed them playing with it.
    10-18-13 06:57 PM
    They have Best Buy in Canada now?
    moody likes this.
    10-18-13 07:00 PM
    Actually, BestBuy's been in Canada for many years now. They bought Future Shop long, long ago and started opening their own stores soon afterwards.
    FRG_RC and deezy87 like this.
    10-18-13 07:02 PM
    Actually, BestBuy's been in Canada for many years now. They bought Future Shop long, long ago and started opening their own stores soon afterwards.
    Oooh. I remember when Radio Shack turned into the Source but I never saw Best Buy while in Canada. Just Staples, Walmart and Future Shop!
    10-18-13 07:04 PM
    And I much prefer future shop.

Posted from my Z10

I was too slow, I was just about to put a link to their website.
    They have for a while. Best Buy now owns Future Shop, which has been around forever. The funny thing is, they'll still plunk down a Best Buy right beside a Future Shop, or vice-versa, even though they're owned by the same company. Seems silly.

America corporations are coming into Canada like a flood. Target bought out most of Zellers, then there's Walmart, and countless others.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 07:05 PM
    Wow, how did my story get overlooked! Okay, Target is here as well

I guess BlackBerry staff awareness is the accepted norm now.

Q10 running10.2.1.641 leak and loving it!
    Fr3lncr and EauRouge like this.
    10-18-13 07:16 PM
    I had a similar experience in a Bell store. The guy tried to tell me there was no difference between a Z30 and a z10. I corrected him. Then he tried to tell me BlackBerry was dead. I corrected him and explained about security issues for companies like mine. He tried to say the competition was as good. I corrected him again.

Very aggressive guy, and one can only imagine the impact of this sort of thing going on across the country, combined with no marketing from BlackBerry to speak of.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 07:17 PM
    They also started closing a bunch, nationwide, not long after they opened.
    The sales experience in this OP is what likely contributed to the lack of success in some Canadian markets.
    It's odd that I consider Future Shop better. They're not very good either. I know they are the same owner but the business model is not exactly the same from an in-store consumer perspective.

Part of the problem for sales staff is too many products and too many new products to keep up with. They become jack of all trades and master of none.
    We can hope they know what they're talking about but don't expect them too.
    That said, when your job is strictly selling mobile phones, you should know where the product box is. Maybe it was his first day on the job. It seems that way.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-18-13 07:18 PM
    As you can see by this thread how easily we are distracted, you went through the trouble of posting this thread on how the staff at a cell phone store are poorly versed on products and it turns into a thread on the retail industry

And you ask why the staff don't know anything about the products they sell....

Hmmmmm...

I wonder how that happened....

Oh look shiny red things ooooooo....

....we are an easily distractable society it would seem....

Posted by the Zed 30 of rockivy
    10-18-13 07:22 PM
    As you can see by this thread how easily we are distracted, you went through the trouble of posting this thread on how the staff at a cell phone store are poorly versed on products and it turns into a thread on the retail industry

And you ask why the staff don't know anything about the products they sell....

Hmmmmm...

I wonder how that happened....

Oh look shiny red things ooooooo....

....we are an easily distractable society it would seem....

No, it's because four people commented on the Best Buy thing all at the same time. That's why the topic flipped so fast.

Back on topic.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 07:26 PM
    I had a similar experience in a Bell store. The guy tried to tell me there was no difference between a Z30 and a z10. I corrected him. Then he tried to tell me BlackBerry was dead. I corrected him and explained about security issues for companies like mine. He tried to say the competition was as good. I corrected him again.

Very aggressive guy, and one can only imagine the impact of this sort of thing going on across the country, combined with no marketing from BlackBerry to speak of.

Posted via CB10
    Was the store located in Owen Sound btw? I bought my Z10 there and the sales guy was acting as if he couldn't find a polite way to directly tell me not to get a BB. He said something like "so you're a blackberry guy, huh?" - yeah dude, I came to the store looking for a specific phone, not your recommendation. Some of these people need to get a life one way or the other.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-18-13 07:34 PM
    True, and yes the staff in these retail locations can be hit an miss, I went into a Bell store to get a charger for my phone and the rep there was excellent he was really interested in the Z10 I had at the time even though he was a big android user, we talked for about half an hour I showed Jim the crackberry Web site and he loaded it into his browser on his S4, said it was a good resource for BlackBerry customers and thanked me, on the other hand he is the exception to the rule.

The thing is a majority of people don't either care or have the time to research this stuff like us phone geeks do. So they go to the best buys and Future shops of the world and look to the staff to provide them with the best products for their needs and what they get is a kid who can barely sell them AA batteries without asking someone what they are, it's a shame really that these businesses run this way.

gfondeur likes this.
    10-18-13 07:35 PM

I was in Best Buy in Whitby Ontario today.and asked a male employee in the cell phone dept if he had any
    Z30's in stock.

Male Employee: One sec while I ask someone. So he asked a female employee if they have any Q30's so I
    quickly corrected him.
    Male Employee looks and deesnt see it so he asked the female employee where it is
    she pulls it off the shelf that was in plain site and hands it too him. He takes it out of the box and so I asked
    if he could turn it on. He fumbled for a while and asked the female employee how to turn it on.
    She shows him and then I held out my hand. I was actually very impressed with it as I have never tried a Z10
    and I own a Q10. I then asked him if I could buy it outright and he said I could only buy it on contract or as an
    upgrade. So I asked him how much could I get for a trade in on my Q10. He said $50. So I asked him if
    he could double check on that as I said it didnt sound right. Of course he asked his female counterpart again
    and she said $200. So I played with the Z30 for a while and thanked them both. I think I am going to Telus to by
    one. Oh forgot to mention when I asked the female employee what was the difference between the Z10 and
    Z30 (just for fun) and she said there is no difference at all except the model number so I had to hold it
    side by side to the Z10 and asked her if she saw a difference. I also told her to compare the specs since she
    might be selling a few in te next little while. I really dont understand why the Z30 is available at Best Buy
    and the sales staff are not even aware of it, let alone know how to use it. There is something seriously wrong
    with what I experienced today! As I was leaving, I noticed them playing with it.
    Am I correct to guess this Z30 was the Telus model 100-5? Or was it Unbranded?

I may have to check a US Best Buy tomorrow and see if they have any hidden gems like you were able to find! I know for sure Best Buy I am near is torrible (terrible AND horrible) with BlackBerry support.
    It will be a Saturday scavenger hunt [=
    10-18-13 07:39 PM
    I work with many different manufactures distributors most of these have incentive programs that go directly to the front line counter person selling the product.
    These are outside the control of the individual company , and most employes seem to enjoy the competition, plus they get some thing extra for doing their job.
    Really at the end of the day they have to sell something why not sell something that benefits them.
    10-18-13 07:54 PM
    I was at a bestbuy in Richmond hill and the guy had a Z30 dummy unit in hand and was holding it he let me hold it and he loved it being an android guy he was really excited for someone to buy one so he can open it and see how it is when it's up and running he said people were excited for it but most people are with Rogers they had a few bell and telus ones
    10-18-13 07:56 PM

Z30's in stock.

quickly corrected him.
    Bad marketing!
    10-18-13 08:06 PM
    It's nice to see that only the guy was clueless. He was probably new.
    10-18-13 08:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    I had much better experience at Bell store, "sorry we don't have it yet but hopefully by the end of the week... looks like a great phone".

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 08:07 PM
    I was at a bestbuy in Richmond hill and the guy had a Z30 dummy unit in hand and was holding it he let me hold it and he loved it being an android guy he was really excited for someone to buy one so he can open it and see how it is when it's up and running he said people were excited for it but most people are with Rogers they had a few bell and telus ones
    I get that a lot too - reps will ask me if they can play with the phone I just bought as they haven't had a chance to play with one yet. Fun times.
    10-18-13 08:38 PM
    Best buy sucks

Posted via SEGA master system
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-18-13 08:47 PM
    It's nice to see that only the guy was clueless. He was probably new.
    They were both pretty much clueless, she said identical to the Z10 only different name on the box! I immediately showed her the visual difference side by side. I forgot to mention the fact that he said he had to ask his manager and that turned out to be curly (female with curly hair) nope moe wasn't around I guess
    So I gather the guy that called the Z30 the Q30 was Larry. Sorry just had too lol

Q10 running10.2.1.641 leak and loving it!
    gfondeur and eddy_berry like this.
    10-18-13 08:48 PM
    I have had similar experiences when trying to buy things in Best Buy--e.g., printer cartridges, car stereo equipment, video game console accessories, phone accessories, attempts to up sell me on something unrelated to what I purchased, etc.--this seems just how the stores I've gone to (in California and Colorado) operate unfortunately.

One time a while back I went in for a printer cartridge, asked an employee for the correct one, and he attempte to sell me Verizon FiOS television service instead...for the next 5-10 minutes...and it took repeated interjections on my part to finally get that printer cartridge I was after. lol (I understand, the sales staff is probably told to try and sell certain products/services, but this kind of thing can become a bit tedious.) At least in my own experience, shopping there is an exercise in frustration...and I pretty much stopped going there.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-18-13 08:50 PM
    Best buy and future shop both suck equally. I only shop there as a last resort there are far better deals elsewhere. Can't stand brain dead staff trying to push sales. Can't expect much when some kid still in school is trying to school an older fart like me.

I keep up to date on all the tech stuff, and spot their bs a mile away. Their computer department is the worst followed by the cell department and audio video. Install shops they both suck.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-18-13 09:49 PM
64 123