Most factory unlocked phones are unbranded.
    My Z10 from Bell has no repeat no branding on it other than the BlackBerry logo itself. We also have a Z30 in the family - it is from Telus and has no branding either.

Unbranded is a sure fire indication that its indeed unlocked from my experiences most of the time.
    A sure fire indication that the phone is indeed unlocked is to check Settings/Security/Simcard/Network. If it says the network is unlocked, then it's unlocked. My Bell phone (unbranded) is indeed unlocked cuz I paid CrackBerry for the unlock code.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 03:01 AM
    I bought my unlocked z30 from a Canadian seller, I installed the leak when I got the device last Saturday and I received the official update on the 28th.

I also noticed it downloaded a Telus app for customer account info, so I am figuring the update can also be received by unlocked Canadian models. I have a z30 100-5 on T Mobile USA.

Sent from my z30 on T Mobile USA
    01-31-14 03:40 AM
    My Z10 from Bell has no repeat no branding on it other than the BlackBerry logo itself. We also have a Z30 in the family - it is from Telus and has no branding either.

A sure fire indication that the phone is indeed unlocked is to check Settings/Security/Simcard/Network. If it says the network is unlocked, then it's unlocked. My Bell phone (unbranded) is indeed unlocked cuz I paid CrackBerry for the unlock code.

Posted via CB10
    That is true also with the settings. I should have mentioned most but not all are fully unbranded with the exception of few. Didn't know about bell.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 04:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    And I was saying for factory unlocked phones that aren't unlocked from crackberry. I can see where that can be a problem though if someone is looking to buy a factory unlocked z30 and the seller is actually selling you an unlocked coded/unbranded z30 from Telus / bell and not one directly from blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 04:14 AM
    I want to buy a AT&T compatible Z30 and would prefer to purchase one from BlackBerry if they ever decide to but it on their website SMH

Posted Via AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    01-31-14 07:17 AM
    And I was saying for factory unlocked phones that aren't unlocked from crackberry. I can see where that can be a problem though if someone is looking to buy a factory unlocked z30 and the seller is actually selling you an unlocked coded/unbranded z30 from Telus / bell and not one directly from blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 08:52 AM
    I want to buy a AT&T compatible Z30 and would prefer to purchase one from BlackBerry if they ever decide to but it on their website SMH

That is what I was talking about. I checked out Amazon and eBay and often there is no telling what model you actually get.
    Fact is that there is none yet that is 100% compatible with AT&T, and that's what I am waiting for. The Z10 from BlackBerry direct states which one to order.
    I want them to sell the Z30 the same way. It's not like they couldn't use the additional sales. Problem seems that there is no Z30 in existence that works on AT&T like the Z10 they sell.
    If I only knew what frequency AT&T uses in my area for LTE, then I would know which one to get.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 08:56 AM
    That is what I was talking about. I checked out Amazon and eBay and often there is no telling what model you actually get.
    Fact is that there is none yet that is 100% compatible with AT&T, and that's what I am waiting for. The Z10 from BlackBerry direct states which one to order.
    I want them to sell the Z30 the same way. It's not like they couldn't use the additional sales. Problem seems that there is no Z30 in existence that works on AT&T like the Z10 they sell.
    If I only knew what frequency AT&T uses in my area for LTE, then I would know which one to get.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I don't want to play the guessing game if the LTE bands are the same in my area as the models they sell on the internet. The STA100-1 model that just passed thru the FCC about a month ago and is fully compatible with AT&T's network, that's the one I'm waiting on. If I'm going to pay full price for a phone I want it to be fully compatible with AT&T'S LTE network

01-31-14 11:03 AM
    Yeah I don't want to play the guessing game if the LTE bands are the same in my area as the models they sell on the internet. The STA100-1 model that just passed thru the FCC about a month ago and is fully compatible with AT&T's network, that's the one I'm waiting on. If I'm going to pay full price for a phone I want it to be fully compatible with AT&T'S LTE network

I will do the same. Question is if it will ever be released.
    Actually I don't really care which one I need, as long as it supports LTE in my town.
    Is there no map anywhere that shows what carriers use which frequency where?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 11:29 AM
    I will do the same. Question is if it will ever be released.
    Actually I don't really care which one I need, as long as it supports LTE in my town.
    Is there no map anywhere that shows what carriers use which frequency where?

Posted via CB10
    I think there may be but if I travel out of area I want it to have LTE everywhere. I'm sure it will be released at some point. I don't know why it would be put through the FCC if they never had intentions of releasing it.

01-31-14 12:21 PM
    Folks, as far as I know the z30 100-5 model will work just fine on the AT&T LTE network. I bought mine from Canada and I found that the Canadian models have the band's that support the LTE network for AT&T and T Mobile USA.

When the z10 came out I did the same thing and bought a unlocked Canadian model 100-3 and it worked on both the T Mobile and AT&T LTE networks perfectly. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my z30 on T Mobile USA
    02-01-14 03:23 AM
    Folks, as far as I know the z30 100-5 model will work just fine on the AT&T LTE network. I bought mine from Canada and I found that the Canadian models have the band's that support the LTE network for AT&T and T Mobile USA.
    The Z30 100-5 is 100% compatible with the TMO networks, yes, but not with all of AT&T's. If you're getting LTE on AT&T with the -5, it's because you're in a LTE 1700 or LTE 850 market. These are both secondary LTE frequencies that AT&T uses. The primary, nationwide frequency--700 MHz (band 17) is not supported by the -5.

When the z10 came out I did the same thing and bought a unlocked Canadian model 100-3 and it worked on both the T Mobile and AT&T LTE networks perfectly.
    The Z10 -3 had all of AT&T and TMO's bands, which is why it will work on all AT&T networks. For North America, it is the equivalent of the STA100-1 Z30 that went through the FCC last month.
    02-01-14 02:01 PM
    The Z30 100-5 is 100% compatible with the TMO networks, yes, but not with all of AT&T's. If you're getting LTE on AT&T with the -5, it's because you're in a LTE 1700 or LTE 850 market. These are both secondary LTE frequencies that AT&T uses. The primary, nationwide frequency--700 MHz (band 17) is not supported by the -5.

The Z10 -3 had all of AT&T and TMO's bands, which is why it will work on all AT&T networks. For North America, it is the equivalent of the STA100-1 Z30 that went through the FCC last month.
    I hope it will see the light of day.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:04 PM

Raino where is our STA100-1 already? The anticipation of whether it's going to be released is killing me LMAO

raino likes this.
    02-01-14 02:07 PM
    If you're getting LTE on AT&T with the -5, it's because you're in a LTE 1700 or LTE 850 market. These are both secondary LTE frequencies that AT&T uses. The primary, nationwide frequency--700 MHz (band 17) is not supported by the -5.
    Most likely 1700 is what gets them LTE like we discussed unless there is some monkey business done by VZW on their version.

When the z10 came out I did the same thing and bought a unlocked Canadian model 100-3 and it worked on both the T Mobile and AT&T LTE networks perfectly. Just a suggestion.
    You might want to check http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=850736

Also Z10's 3 is not same as Z30's so there is some incompatibility.

There are reports of Z30 model 3 getting LTE in some places but model 5 getting more. In this case either VZ blocked something on their model to limit compatibility or strictly 1700 Is what's getting LTE to those people with 5.

Sent from my LG-D800
    02-01-14 02:46 PM
    I hope it will see the light of day.
    Don't we all lol. Dominick079 brought up a good point that I wholeheartedly agree with: if they had no intentions of releasing this model, why go through the extra effort/cost of sending this through the FCC? This may not mean it's going to come to AT&T though, just that we think BB's going to be selling this to US customers somehow.
    02-01-14 03:46 PM
    Don't we all lol. Dominick079 brought up a good point that I wholeheartedly agree with: if they had no intentions of releasing this model, why go through the extra effort/cost of sending this through the FCC? This may not mean it's going to come to AT&T though, just that we think BB's going to be selling this to US customers somehow.
    Maybe unlocked, directly by BB. Perhaps...

Sent from my LG-D800
    02-01-14 03:47 PM
    Maybe unlocked, directly by BB. Perhaps...
    Or though T-Mobile, on a sweet EIP (I can dream, can't I?)
    02-01-14 03:48 PM
    I actually don't care if it comes to AT&T as long as I am able to buy the STA100-1 from somewhere. I prefer to buy it directly from BlackBerry. It will come unlocked and I prefer them get my money then AT&T or another carrier that shows no support for BlackBerry.

emkay47 likes this.
    02-01-14 05:32 PM
    Yeah as it seems a factory unlocked from BlackBerry direct is not the same as unlocked from AT&T.
    The AT&T one will still act as an AT&T phone concerning updates and not get them without tricking it out.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:54 PM
    Yeah as it seems a factory unlocked from BlackBerry direct is not the same as unlocked from AT&T.
    The AT&T one will still act as an AT&T phone concerning updates and not get them without tricking it out.

Posted via CB10
    Bingo

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 04:00 AM
    Bingo

Posted via CB10
    Now I have a a question how do you trick it out for those that are not that tech savy. Does he mean sideloads?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 08:47 AM
    Now I have a a question how do you trick it out for those that are not that tech savy. Does he mean sideloads?
    The easiest way of "tricking" would be to put a foreign carrier's SIM (one that has released 10.2.1, like Rogers) into an unlocked phone. This makes your phone think it's tied to that foreign carrier, so it will notify you of an available OTA update. Then, when the update is done, you put your actual SIM back in and go on your merry way. Of course this only easy if you have a foreign SIM for such purposes
    02-03-14 12:23 PM
    The easiest way of "tricking" would be to put a foreign carrier's SIM (one that has released 10.2.1, like Rogers) into an unlocked phone. This makes your phone think it's tied to that foreign carrier, so it will notify you of an available OTA update. Then, when the update is done, you put your actual SIM back in and go on your merry way. Of course this only easy if you have a foreign SIM for such purposes
    Thanks Raino. Rogers here I come. Lol!

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 12:55 PM
    Thanks Raino. Rogers here I come. Lol!

Posted via CB10
    Just do Sachesi, it works well. I regret waiting this long for the damn "official" release. I updated and update went through fine and all my apps, settings, emails are still there.
    Sometimes OTA is even riskier than USB update, so if you want to try, at least try through Link instead of OTA.
    02-12-14 01:27 PM
55 123