OK, so I've had my z30 for about a month now. Really enjoying it, but just ran into something I wasn't expecting. 15 days into my month long billing, I just went over my data cap.

I'm with Telus, and have 2gb of data right now. I'm sharing data with my wife, who I just moved her over to Telus on my old 9900. When I had the 9900, I typically used about 300mb a month. So when I upgraded to the 2gb, I figured we'd definitely be safe. Not so. Just received a text saying we hit our cap, and now enjoy $0.05/mb charges. Reality is that it doesn't bother me really, I'm just surprised. This thing eats up data. I quickly checked my wife's data, and she's averaging 5mb a day right now, where I'm doing about 150mb. We?re definitely different kinds of users, but that's a big discrepancy.

Live and learn. I'm debating about whether to just get the bigger data plan right now, or ride out this month (testing how much data I use when being careful) , and make sure I keep my wifi on at home and at the office.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    11-28-13 09:12 PM
    Yeah the thing is there's no BIS on bb10 phones, so that means no compressing of data. I would suggest getting a bigger data plan to avoid paying all those "overage" fees, especially since you're sharing with your wife.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    11-28-13 09:18 PM
    The media consumption is so much better on a bigger screen with a faster data connection that you use your phone more. BIS didn't really compress most things that much anyway since video, images music are already in a compressed format to begin with.
    11-28-13 09:35 PM
    Data compression with BIS averages 6:1 and as high as 10:1 with some data formats. Telus has a compression calculator for those moving from BIS so you can estimate your data consumption on another platform or moving to BIS. I estimate that when I switch to BB10 I'll be going from 1Gb to 6 or 7Gb of data use. And as mentioned above, a faster device and 4G equate to increased data use as well.
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    11-28-13 09:50 PM
    The media consumption is so much better on a bigger screen with a faster data connection that you use your phone more. BIS didn't really compress most things that much anyway since video, images music are already in a compressed format to begin with.
    It actually compresses quite a bit, depending on your use. That's why many OS7 users switching are getting data shock, as the OP described, hitting his cap way early with the same use.
    11-28-13 09:54 PM
    It actually compresses quite a bit, depending on your use. That's why many OS7 users switching are getting data shock, as the OP described, hitting his cap way early with the same use.
    This is actually very good to know... my 9900 is dying a slow and painful death while I await my provider finally releasing the Z30... I average about 180Mb per month now... and I really push it, but I also have wifi coverage most of my day. But this is definitely something I'll be midnful of.
    11-28-13 10:16 PM
    I was a 300MB user on the 9900 and on the 8900 before that. These days? I am easily a 3GB user on the Q10 and a 5GB user on the Z30 (12GB Share Everything).

SQN100-1 + 10.2.1.1055 | STA100-3 + 10.2.1.1055
    11-28-13 10:29 PM
    This is actually very good to know... my 9900 is dying a slow and painful death while I await my provider finally releasing the Z30... I average about 180Mb per month now... and I really push it, but I also have wifi coverage most of my day. But this is definitely something I'll be midnful of.
    Try this calculator to get an idea of your use changes.

TELUS data calculator
    11-28-13 10:59 PM
    Yeah it can also depend on what you are downloading and where. I downloaded a game when I first got the phone and didn't realise it was a 1.07 GB game. That ate into my 2GB of data pretty quickly. I find I actually manage alright, and most friends and family who have BB10 phones all have been pretty close to 1 GB of usage per month when taking advantage of things like Wi-Fi. Only time one friend tends to go over her usage plan is when she forgets to turn back on her Wifi when she gets home or streams a lot of music while travelling.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    12-01-13 04:08 PM
    Pls. also remember, that many websites still does not recognize BB10 as a mobile browser and serves the full desktop version with more content and larger pictures.
    12-01-13 05:31 PM
    Yeah it can also depend on what you are downloading and where. I downloaded a game when I first got the phone and didn't realise it was a 1.07 GB game. That ate into my 2GB of data pretty quickly. I find I actually manage alright, and most friends and family who have BB10 phones all have been pretty close to 1 GB of usage per month when taking advantage of things like Wi-Fi. Only time one friend tends to go over her usage plan is when she forgets to turn back on her Wifi when she gets home or streams a lot of music while travelling.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    I don't doubt that's true for some, but as mentioned by a poster above going from 300mb on BIS to 3 to 5gb on BB10 is not uncommon, depending on use. The Telus calculator is a good estimator of what to expect. We have some in our company with personal BB10 phones that have gone from 600mb averages on BIS to 3 or 4gb averages on their BB10 phones. Our company phones really aren't affected much as BES compresses business data on BB10 phones, just not personal data when using Balance.
    12-01-13 10:34 PM
    Upgrading I knew my data would go up. Just not as much as it did.

I just upgraded to the 6gb plan.

3 weeks into my billing, I am about 2.75gb, and my wife in my 9900 is 60mb.

I now keep my wifi on at home and at work, and AVG about about 60mb a day.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-03-13 12:56 PM
    I switched from 9900 as well. I averaged 500MB/mo. Got z30 2 weeks ago and I'm average 15MB per day which works out about the same, but I'm being cautious right now. For starters, I use wifi religiously at home.

Secondly, I got Evolution browser which has an ad blocker.

Third, and I highly recommend you do this: get a data monitor app like MaxNetworkStat (shows data and wifi usage separately). You might discover something chewing data unecessarily. For example, Facebook refreshing itself in the background because you forgot to close it meanwhile your Dad just uploaded 67 pictures of his cat. Maybe not technically accurate but you get the idea.

Best approach in using a data monitor is close everything and run one app along with your data monitor. Play with it and see what functions if any are using data and note how much it uses. Do this for all your apps separately and see if the app in question has some setting to chill on the usage like turning down the refresh frequency on cb10 for example (thanks btw CB ). Knowing IS the battle. Otherwise your provider is gonna milk you and win all your ****.

Z30 FTW - Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 07:21 PM
    I dont find it that bad at all. I average around 25 to 30 MB a day on cell data during the day and at home I use wifi. Sure my 9900 was less but the speed and screen size is night and day. We share a 2GB monthly plan with Iphone and z30 and so far not even close to the limit. Also a good data counter app is used on both phones beside the rogers "my account" app.
    12-03-13 07:30 PM
    I am almost always connected to wi-fi, other then driving to and from work, lunch, travel every other weekend. Even my favorite pub has wi-fi, the downtown has free wi-fi , hotels etc...
    I wasn't terribly surprised my data would go up, with my Z30, but it basically quadrupled. My normal data on my curve was around 80 to 100 megs per month. This phone chewed through 490 megs my first month. I wasn't surprised but I started looking for the things that might be chewing data. It's too early to say if I found anything, I did shut down BlackBerry reporting services.
    I would think that this type of reporting would only be done when connected to wi-fi.
    Can one say if this is true?

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 08:45 PM