Isn't this a more important spec than the quad core? We all know bb10 is a memory hungry os that could really make use of 4 gb. And it's a spec that no other phones have yet. I find that being familiar with the gestures I can swipe around faster than the os can respond and I'd really like to have more ram even if I had to pay more

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 02:54 AM
    Isn't this a more important spec than the quad core? We all know bb10 is a memory hungry os that could really make use of 4 gb. And it's a spec that no other phones have yet. I find that being familiar with the gestures I can swipe around faster than the os can respond and I'd really like to have more ram even if I had to pay more

Posted via CB10
    The A10 would do just fine with an updated dual core at a higher clock speed and an updated GPU. BB10 is exactly the opposite as you describe buddy.

I admit, I would have liked to see 3GB of RAM just to say that I have 3GB of RAM, but honestly it's not really necessary. I believe with further OS updates, the BB10 experience can be made even smoother without the hardware upgrade. It hasn't even been out for 6 months and its ONLY on 10.1 .
    07-12-13 03:12 AM
    I disagree. Bb10 needs at least 2 gb to run smoothly. I want the a10 to have 4 gb

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 03:14 AM
    they really should, it needs to be future proof!!
    07-12-13 03:19 AM
    I disagree. Bb10 needs at least 2 gb to run smoothly. I want the a10 to have 4 gb

Posted via CB10
    RAM doesn't affect speed, the processor does.
    07-12-13 03:23 AM
    I'm always using 1 to 1,3 GB RAM.. so why 4gb?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 03:32 AM
    There's no need for the RAM just yet. The reason I said a faster dual core is because I'm not sure if BB10 is set up to take advantage of the additional cores. If it is, those extra cores assist mainly with multitasking It's like having another set of hands. For daily use, a good dual core can outpace a quad core...

***At least that was the argument in 2012. I just took a peek at the Qualcomm processors a bit ago.The new Snapdragon quad cores are way better than the new dual cores they are rolling out. If the A10 is going to see a big improvement over the Z10, it has to go quad core. The A10 on a Snapdragon 800 would rock any Android counterpart.
    Last edited by LWKING; 07-12-13 at 03:51 AM.
    07-12-13 03:40 AM
    Instead you should be asking for more efficient BB10 that doesn't require more than 512MB of RAM because there is nothing that operating system does that should require more memory or CPU power.

BB10 like Android suffers from lazy software development it has nothing to do with the specs. Only reason why would you want more RAM is when you are playing a 3D game and multitasking at the same time but there is a way to deal with that too. In other words every single 3D game that runs on any mobile OS can be run with 512Mb of RAM if coded right.

Android is here to sell hardware and developers are getting extremely lazy cause they know they can rely on next quad or penta core CPU, there is absolutely no reason for BB10 to go this route.
    LWKING likes this.
    07-12-13 03:53 AM
    RAM doesn't affect speed, the processor does.
    You seem intent on defending the current "leaked specs" of the a10... do you believe or somehow know that those are for real?

You're right about memory not affecting speed, IF you have enough of it.

Every active frame uses some memory and right now we are limited to 8. Why not give the a10 more and then bump it up to 12 or 16 active frames. It may not apply to everyone but I regularly get to 8 frames and wish I could have more. Soon we will have headless apps but those will use up memory too. Try opening up 8 apps including neutron mp or the native music app and watch your music skip. This is a memory, not processor issue

The q5 has 2 gb because it needs to. The hub is a memory hog. Bb10 uses 1 gb almost when idle. Not that it needs to but I think this shows that bb10 is memory hungry and 4 gb would not be redundant at all

I agree that a slightly faster, and newer model dual core processor would be great for the a10. But, the average consumer doesn't delve into specs that much. Don't care about the gpu beyond how many cores and gigahertz it has, and they just assume more is better . You were getting what I mean in my previous post... partly it's just nice to be able to say your phone has more cores and more ram

I really want bb to succeed and I think making a flagship device with big, impressive specs is helpful. I do not see the point in making a z10 with a bigger screen and a slightly more modern processor. Give it more cores, more ram, more storage, a better camera etc

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 03:58 AM
    You seem intent on defending the current "leaked specs" of the a10... do you believe or somehow know that those are for real?

You're right about memory not affecting speed, IF you have enough of it.

Every active frame uses some memory and right now we are limited to 8. Why not give the a10 more and then bump it up to 12 or 16 active frames. It may not apply to everyone but I regularly get to 8 frames and wish I could have more. Soon we will have headless apps but those will use up memory too. Try opening up 8 apps including neutron mp or the native music app and watch your music skip. This is a memory, not processor issue

The q5 has 2 gb because it needs to. The hub is a memory hog. Bb10 uses 1 gb almost when idle. Not that it needs to but I think this shows that bb10 is memory hungry and 4 gb would not be redundant at all

I agree that a slightly faster, and newer model dual core processor would be great for the a10. But, the average consumer doesn't delve into specs that much. Don't care about the gpu beyond how many cores and gigahertz it has, and they just assume more is better . You were getting what I mean in my previous post... partly it's just nice to be able to say your phone has more cores and more ram

I really want bb to succeed and I think making a flagship device with big, impressive specs is helpful. I do not see the point in making a z10 with a bigger screen and a slightly more modern processor. Give it more cores, more ram, more storage, a better camera etc

Posted via CB10
    Bla1ze said that there would be different versions so there may be a version with 4GB of RAM liked the original leaked specs. If they prove true, 4GB of RAM would give Blackberry that edge it needs to grab attention. I definitely see your point. I think Blackberry should eventually give the user the option of setting how many frames they would like in the options instead of capping it at 8. Compared to the Z10, which should have released originally in 2012, I agree that the A10 could use a little more oomph in the specs. If I could only get one improvement, I'd go with a Snapdragon 800, personally of course. But if you pair that with 4GB of RAM and a 13MP shooter, I am sold. It would be refreshing to own a Blackberry and actually be able to gloat about it
    07-12-13 04:16 AM
    Bla1ze said that there would be different versions so there may be a version with 4GB of RAM liked the original leaked specs. If they prove true, 4GB of RAM would give Blackberry that edge it needs to grab attention.
    The 4gb of ram idea came from a single rumour, no other leak has indicated anything of the sort was planned and as far as 4gb of ram, it would be a stupid addition in any mobile device if it is not needed at any point in the forseeable future, you still have to power the unused ram, needlessly wasting battery life.

You can see now the levels of memory used and it gets nowhere near the 2gb in current devices and it would not surprise me if memory usage actually dropped when we got to 10.2 and maybe even 10.3 as existing features are optimised more than they were in 10.0 and 10.1 pushing the eventual need for an increase still further off.
    07-12-13 09:30 AM
    The 4gb of ram idea came from a single rumour, no other leak has indicated anything of the sort was planned and as far as 4gb of ram, it would be a stupid addition in any mobile device if it is not needed at any point in the forseeable future, you still have to power the unused ram, needlessly wasting battery life.

You can see now the levels of memory used and it gets nowhere near the 2gb in current devices and it would not surprise me if memory usage actually dropped when we got to 10.2 and maybe even 10.3 as existing features are optimised more than they were in 10.0 and 10.1 pushing the eventual need for an increase still further off.
    If you read my posts, you'll see that you're agreeing with me.

For the record, RAM isn't as inefficient as people on this board are making it out to be. Yes, 4 GB of RAM will use more battery at all times, but the change will be barely noticeable. The reason it wouldn't be a stupid addition is because it will give non Blackberry owners a reason to buy the A10. That right there is more important than anything.
    07-12-13 04:35 PM