My battery started getting bad once I started using headless apps. As soon as I deleted the two apps (Flip Shush and Blaq), my battery went back to "normal". My normal is this: 6AM to 10PM with about 20% to spare. I consider my usage average, no games, some music, lots of Twitter, BBM, browsing and email.

FYI I'm using a Z10... just realized this was in the Z30 forum. The battery times may not be applicable, but maybe the advice on the headless apps could be. Wish I had a Z30 to test it! Haha

Posted via CB10
    I had bad battery life with Blaq but the dev has made some changes and it has been better.
    02-20-14 12:11 AM
    After some more testing, closing Whatsapp seems to decrease my system CPU use by about 1-2% idle, which is quite a lot.
    Whatsapp also seems to trigger PIM services a lot when opening/closing. I am not sure why or how. Do not think it actually sync's anything.

I guess that I will just manually check for messages once or twice a day from now on. Maybe that will convince some of my friends to switch to BBM.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    02-20-14 06:28 AM
    My Z10 has really horrible battery life. Consider yourself lucky on a Z30.
    Attachment 248467

Attachment 248468
    My display is now 103%....
    02-20-14 06:35 AM
    (in response to German whatsapp user above)They're not reading the news then. Whatsapp servers are in California, so they are an open door for the NSA and likes...Merkel sure learnt her lesson now

Posted via CB10
    TrueKulcha and Q10Bold like this.
    02-20-14 06:50 AM
    Whatsapp also seems to trigger PIM services a lot when opening/closing. I am not sure why or how. Do not think it actually sync's anything.

My guess: scanning your contacts for changes.
    02-20-14 08:15 PM
    I still can't get it. Why do grown educated people choose to use WhatsApp?? I'm not taking a poke at anyone but I am really missing something here. If anyone consider communicating with me to be of any importance they HAVE to reach me through BBM and no exceptions will be made.

Posted via CB10
    I can totally relate. Only one technology company has made the protection of users' privacy a key part of its business plan. That company is definitely not Facebook/WhatsApp.
    02-20-14 09:51 PM
    On my z10 I found that it's the pim services that is draining my battery, I've deleted my mail on the account, and just open it in an android yahoo mail app, and guess what, my battery life doubled. Well, that's for me.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 10:03 PM
    Attachment 248501
    This is after 5 hours of heavy usage since im already at home..

Posted via CB10
    Do you have whatsapp installed or other im?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 12:50 AM
    I can totally relate. Only one technology company has made the protection of users' privacy a key part of its business plan. That company is definitely not Facebook/WhatsApp.

You know what's funny? All the financial and Wall Street articles fawning on the new WhatsApp billionaires are pushing the story that they grew up in a totalitarian society and thus have this longstanding bulletproof commitment to user privacy.

Heh. Pity they use people's telephone number as an ID and all those security bugs over the past few years from sloppy coding...
    02-21-14 01:41 AM
    You do realize bbm is cross platform now, don't you?

Via CB Rockin Rogers Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141 /2142 Radio
    That may be - doesn't change the fact that nobody uses it and that I still need to rely on Google talk / hangouts because of that

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 02:15 AM
    That may be - doesn't change the fact that nobody uses it and that I still need to rely on Google talk / hangouts because of that

Posted via CB10
    I'm always appalled at the over usage of terms like "everybody" and "nobody". Since when do we go around and poll everyone. Seems rather childish to make such wide statements without factual basis.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech and Q10Bold like this.
    02-21-14 06:58 AM
    I'm always appalled at the over usage of terms like "everybody" and "nobody". Since when do we go around and poll everyone. Seems rather childish to make such wide statements without factual basis.

Bears repeating 1000 times.

The absurdly hyperbolic and ultra-simplistic characterizations of complex matters have become epidemic on web forums.

Worse, when those who do have actual knowledge of these things weigh-in, they are typically ridiculed for being "condescending" or "uppity" because so many people on the Internet seem to think they are an expert on all matters.
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    02-21-14 09:51 PM
    You know what's funny? All the financial and Wall Street articles fawning on the new WhatsApp billionaires are pushing the story that they grew up in a totalitarian society and thus have this longstanding bulletproof commitment to user privacy.

Heh. Pity they use people's telephone number as an ID and all those security bugs over the past few years from sloppy coding...
    Funny you mention security flaws in WhatsApp, I posted about the recent once on my channel. C00122408 is the pin you need
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    02-22-14 10:06 AM
    I am wrong.. it seems that the issue is when i add emails on my phone. I am on a blackberry social, and can only access emails thru wifi. If there is no wifi, my battery is draining since i have emails installed. Here is my consumption with whatsapp, honestly i dont mind whatsapp being there, competition is always good for us consumers. They bring out the best out of each other and it can only be an advantage to us.
    Found the battery culprit!-img_20140223_171453.png

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 12:47 PM
64 123