As expected, Link doesn't want to do it due to differing OS versions. My Z10 is on AT&T's freshly-released 10.2.1.3014; Z30 is on 10.2.1.2977 that it updated to over wifi without the SIM installed. (and doesn't see any available updates beyond .2977)

I've searched and read a number of threads and there just doesn't seem to be an easy answer for getting my local contacts, settings, application data, etc. moved over. Help?

Richard
    08-29-14 01:40 PM
    Use darcy tools and make the back up file the same os number , it will load then.
    08-29-14 04:11 PM
    Or, install a leak on the Z30 that is equivalent or higher than what is on the Z10...
    08-29-14 05:42 PM
    I plugged both to the computer via USB and link asked if I wanted to put my Z10 stuff on my Z30.
    Was very simple.
    Make sure you back up your Z10 first, just in case....

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 05:57 PM
    Use darcy tools and make the back up file the same os number , it will load then.
    I did read up on Darcy tools and saw where some had issues using it, also that it's no longer supported.

Or, install a leak on the Z30 that is equivalent or higher than what is on the Z10...
    Not interested in messing with leaks just yet. Not a bad suggestion, just saying I don't think it's for me...yet.

I plugged both to the computer via USB and link asked if I wanted to put my Z10 stuff on my Z30.
    Was very simple.
    Make sure you back up your Z10 first, just in case....
    The "Switch Device" function in Link will not work if the OS version on the target phone is older than the source. Same problem you run into with backup/restore on devices with differing versions.

The solution that worked for me has been discussed a lot here on the forums but I had to read, re-read, be sure I understood what was being suggested and then try it for myself:

Used Link to back up all the phones old and new, then in Windows I made extra copies of the Z10 backups. Renamed the .bbb extension to .zip, opened the zip with Winrar, extracted Manifest.xml and edited it with Notepad. Changed the QNX version in the file to match that of the Z30, saved the file, used Winrar to add the file back to the archive, then renamed it in Windows back to .bbb and added "modified" to the filename to help me recognize it. Used Link to restore it to the Z30 with no errors.

Mind you I think what trips some people up is they think this should be the software version. What you need is the OS version shown in Settings->About->OS->OS Version; -not- the software release which is the number we are usually concerned with when discussing carrier updates and leaks.

Once restored, rebooted the Z30 and the only things I've noticed so far is I had to set my wallpaper again as it was still on the phone default, and one of my three speed dials had been incorrectly swapped for a different contact. Oh, and of course my icon layout is spread out like on the Z10; there's a blank row at the bottom since the Z30 screen is larger, so I just need to do a little rearranging to maximize use of the larger screen.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions; I'm sure some will go for installing a leak to solve this - I preferred to keep the current "official" OS for now and use this little backup edit workaround.

Richard

* edited to clarify and correct the info; I thought if it differed at all it wouldn't work, but if target phone has newer OS than the source, it seems to go right over with no problem. G/f's Z10 hadn't been updated yet so the Z30 was newer OS; her Z10 backup loaded without need for modification.
    Last edited by RichardHBB; 08-30-14 at 02:37 PM.
    08-30-14 11:28 AM