07-28-13 01:10 PM
210 ... 789
tools
    ---------------
    07-22-13 11:46 PM
    I played around with two of my friends S4's yesterday at the same time. Nice phone for sure, but this is what struck me as strange. Both phones at times lagged considerably. I asked them if this is usual? One said yes and the other got offended and said don't all phones lag a bit at times? I said that I had my Z10 for months and never once had this problem. Of course they didn't believe me. So, I decided to open 8 apps. (four of them games) After 10 minutes of me demonstrating how I could switch back and forth between every app at lightening speed with not one hiccup, they were convinced and amazed. I guess my point of this post is to say specs are overrated. It may look good on paper, but may not in actual reality. Also, if the Z10 performs this well with its on board specs, emagine how the bb10 operating system will perform on the A10. We may just have a power house on on our hands! Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    I've never seen a Samsung S4 in the wild.

On the other hand, I have seen 2 BlackBerry 10 devices. I also have seen 8-10 HTC One devices in the past 2 weeks.

To be honest, HTC One is obliterating Samsung Galaxy S4 in Australia.

BlackBerry & Nintendo Alliance. Bring Pokmon to BlackBerry 10.
    07-23-13 12:23 AM
    I originally had doubts whether a 5" screen would fit comfortably in one hand. That's why I thought there would be no reason for me to replace my Z10, as I have been considering it to be the perfect size! But I just saw a couple of videos out on A10 and it doesn't seem too bad. I am now getting excited about it and will definitely consider buying one!

Posted via Z10
    07-24-13 12:30 PM
    Me personally I just want better specs since this is going to be announced several months after the z and the q were. Also better specs would hopefully convert more people to blackberry. This is just my opinion though, I'm just ready to get rid of my i5 and get the q or maybe the a if it is truly coming to sprint and soon
    07-24-13 07:00 PM
    It's stuff like this that keeps dragging me back to Blackberry... I know how great BB10 is, but I really need a new phone. I had my eyes on a white Z10 since the beginning. Then I found out it wasn't coming to Sprint. That was a huge blow. I didn't want the Q10, which doesn't really matter since Sprint hasn't and probably won't ever release it. The A10 is way too big for me. If I wait for next Z series phone, it'll have been 4 years since I've had an upgrade...

To hell with it all, I'm getting an HTC One in two weeks. We'll see how Blackberry is fairing in the US by then.
    I'm kind of in the same boat, I wanted the z but sprint said no. You should try the a first cause I thought the note 2 would be too big but it was actually pretty nice. I'm hearing nothing but good things about the htc one also so that wouldn't be a bad choice
    07-24-13 07:04 PM
    There is a point where specs reach a maximum limit of functionality. A perfect example is 32 bit graphics. There is no use of 64 bit video cards as a 32 bit video card already displays more colours than the human eye can see. ppi limits of the human eye are another example. Exceeding limits just for the sake of excess sometimes has a drawback. A good example are HFR movies. If 24 frames per second is good, then 48 frames per second should be twice as good. A lot of people who saw the Hobbit in HFR didn't like it.

RAM, cpu, gpu and other specs should make the experience seemless and smooth. Whatever the OS needs should be provided as exceeding what is needed has drawbacks just like HFR movies. In the case of mobile devices, you will end up with worse battery life, unless the new hardware has better technology which will allow you to increase specs, but not degrade performance. And to me, battery life is a performance function.
    I definitely agree with you on the specs vs os need. I think people get caught up in wanting the best specs even though there os doesn't really need it or utilize it. What blackberry needs to do is make sure os remains smooth and increase battery life.

Rocking z10 10.1.0.4651
    07-28-13 05:28 AM
    I definitely agree with you on the specs vs os need. I think people get caught up in wanting the best specs even though there os doesn't really need it or utilize it. What blackberry needs to do is make sure os remains smooth and increase battery life.

Rocking z10 10.1.0.4651
    I think people want what they pay for. If you pay top of the line prices for a smartphone, it should be a top of the line device.

Why pay $200 on contract for a 5", 720p, dual-core phone, with a horrible selection of apps, when a 5", 1080p, quad-core phone will be availbe for free on contract right next to it? And the free phone has any app a person could ever want or need.

It is what it is, consumers aren't that stupid, and salespeople at carrier stores certainly aren't either. If BlackBerry gives the A10 a top of the line price, and the rumored specs hold true, the A10 will be a failure on the same scale of the PlayBook. I just hope BlackBerry is smart enough to only make a very small quantity of them at first.

Ideally, they will put the A10 out as a free on contract device and give it a off contract price of around $300. BUT they won't. This is BlackBerry we are talking about. They still think their products can demand huge margins for some strange reason.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    07-28-13 11:23 AM
    I think people want what they pay for. If you pay top of the line prices for a smartphone, it should be a top of the line device.

Why pay $200 on contract for a 5", 720p, dual-core phone, with a horrible selection of apps, when a 5", 1080p, quad-core phone will be availbe for free on contract right next to it? And the free phone has any app a person could ever want or need.

It is what it is, consumers aren't that stupid, and salespeople at carrier stores certainly aren't either. If BlackBerry gives the A10 a top of the line price, and the rumored specs hold true, the A10 will be a failure on the same scale of the PlayBook. I just hope BlackBerry is smart enough to only make a very small quantity of them at first.

Ideally, they will put the A10 out as a free on contract device and give it a off contract price of around $300. BUT they won't. This is BlackBerry we are talking about. They still think their products can demand huge margins for some strange reason.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    I agree with you to a certain extent.
    That the price will make or break the device, until the Apps and more USPs have seen the light on a BlackBerry is definitely right.

Where I disagree completely, is the price tag of 300$.
    This is a dimension of pricing that BlackBerry just cannot achieve.
    The Q5 sells for more.

A more logical target for the price, would be around the 420-460$ mark.
    That's still 100$ more than what the Galaxy S3 sells for, but we have to take scale and costs into account.
    You could argue with me, that it is still too expensive, but a HTC One Google Play edition has a price tag of 600$.

Undercutting this by about 150$ is not that bad, for an off contract price, and the phone could be sold cheaply on contract.

We all know that even this won't happen, but a price of 300$ off contract is just delusional and not possible for BlackBerry. I am not sure, if such a low price would even be something worth achieving as customers will expect phones for that price in the future when they come from BlackBerry.
    It's what happened with a lot of small tablets after the PlayBook fire sale and introduction of the Amazon Kindle.

If BlackBerry ever makes the Comeback story true, then it will be even harder for them to raise the prices again and they also haven't got the means that Google has, to cross-subsidise their products, so that selling a phone with very good specs for 300$ becomes possible.

A price of 600$ for the A10 should be out of question though...
    Knowing BlackBerry they haven't understood it by now.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 11:43 AM
    I've already accepted that the A10 will be the same as the Z10 launch price. Looking to buy a new device before christmas, going to be a very interesting fall
    07-28-13 12:52 PM
    As far as how long people keep their phones, If tmo's JUMP and att's NEXT programs are any indication I'd say they're keeping them a shorter amount of time. On average though, I think people keep their phones for two years on contract, but that might slowly be shifting.

I might be biased though. For the past few years I've bought my phones for full retail, babied them, then sold them about 8 months later to fund a new device purchase. I haven't been on contract for ages, not counting my brief stint on vzw last year.
    07-28-13 01:10 PM
210 ... 789