07-28-13 01:10 PM
210 12345 ...
tools
    I was so wrong about the A10. I remember telling a few people here that they may want to wait for the A10 and not buy a Z10. My reasoning was the Z10's hardware was less than top of the line and the A10 was still being called the high-end BlackBerry 10 phone. Back in those days, everyone was talking quad-core cpu and increased ram, 1080p and more internal storage. All the talk was pointing at the A10 being the BlackBerry 10 device to own. I foolishly thought Z10 owners would have buyer's remorse shortly after their purchase.

Boy was I ever wrong. I honestly thought BlackBerry was going to create a flagship device with current hardware. Something they could really be proud of, but nope, that ain't happening. Instead, they are releasing the spirtual successor to the Storm line. A dud that simply won't be competitive in its target market.

BlackBerry fooled me and a lot of others into believing the A10 was going to be something special. It's almost like they have blinders on and can't see what the competition has been doing for the last few years.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    My Z10 works great with BB10. Smooth, fluid and fast. Please tell me how much faster it would work on a quad core CPU and 3GB RAM. Or do you feel inadequate with only 2 cores. I am not into pissing contest with other phone owners. If it works great, it works great. My Z10 does.
    07-18-13 06:23 AM
    All the hatred towards the A10 is so similar to when the 5 inch Galaxy Note first came out. Stop living in the past you BlackBerry people, lol. It turns out pretty well when you embrace the larger device, especially battery life.
    I don't think it's similar at all. The hate for the first note was because people thought it was too large. The hate for the A10 is because it doesn't offer competitive hardware.

Imagine, if the Note had launched with hardware from 2009, people would have had more reasons to complain about it. But it didn't, it launched in 2011 with current hardware and a big screen people thought they'd hate. The Note went on to become a hit though. The A10 won't.

07-18-13 06:23 AM
    This is false. I buy a new computer or upgrade when I need better specs yes, but unlike computers, phones have not reached functions that require monster specs. My iPhone 3GS still runs applications quite smoothly. Why is there a need for the 5? Not for better specs but for a better experience i.e bigger screen. Android phones have created an inane misconception that modern phones NEED these specs to run at smooth or even functional levels. There's much more than meets the eye than specs when it comes to technology. For example the wildly popular game "Arma 2" runs on a poorly written engine and as a result what would be considered a fairly good PC, struggles to get even 30 fps. Much like Arma, Android requires higher end specs because it is a more poorly written OS. BlackBerry does NOT need these specs. Phones are purely experience driven. iPhones continue to vastly outsell their "superior" android counterparts; and yet iphones continues to dominate with inferior specs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CB Forums mobile app
    You forget that consumers' experiences won't be enhanced if hardware specs aren't improved. Let's look at a few examples.

1- Black & White TVs vs HD TVs.
    2-VHS vs DVDs

You can't tell me that you still want to watch a black and white TV after using a HD Tv for a few hours. Furthermore, your experiences won't be the same when you watch a movie in both TVs.

When we pay top dollars for a device, not only we do it for better experiences and conveniences but we also do it for future development.
    07-18-13 06:38 AM
    My Z10 works great with BB10. Smooth, fluid and fast. Please tell me how much faster it would work on a quad core CPU and 3GB RAM. Or do you feel inadequate with only 2 cores. I am not into pissing contest with other phone owners. If it works great, it works great. My Z10 does.
    That isn't the point! You will never understand the point. So many people have tried to reason with you and explain it for you, yet you don't grasp it.

The point is, the A10 is a flagship device launching at the end of 2013, that will end up coming with a flagship price tag, and hardware from 2011. Reviewers will tear the A10 apart. Carrier associates won't push it and ultimately, consumers won't buy it. The A10 simply isn't competitive.

We get it man, you love the idea of overpaying for old technology. You want to spend top dollar for dusty, bargin bin parts that no other phone manufacture wants to use anymore. The idea seems fun for you. After all, you are the same person that loves how BlackBerry 10 runs on 1GB of ram.

The Z10 works great for you, that's good. But it doesn't mean they should have basically re-released the same phone with a larger screen and called it a day. Look around you, do you not notice all of the disappointed BlackBerry fans here? If BlackBerry's biggest fans aren't happy with the A10, how will everyday consumers feel about it?

But hey, at least you'll be happy I guess, too bad they didn't give you that downgrade to 1gb of ram you had hoped for, maybe next time.

MasterOfBinary likes this.
    07-18-13 06:45 AM
    You forget that consumers' experiences won't be enhanced if hardware specs aren't improved. Let's look at a few examples.

2-VHS vs DVDs

You can't tell me that you still want to watch a black and white TV after using a HD Tv for a few hours. Furthermore, your experiences won't be the same when you watch a movie in both TVs.

When we pay top dollars for a device, not only we do it for better experiences and conveniences but we also do it for future development.
    There is a point where specs reach a maximum limit of functionality. A perfect example is 32 bit graphics. There is no use of 64 bit video cards as a 32 bit video card already displays more colours than the human eye can see. ppi limits of the human eye are another example. Exceeding limits just for the sake of excess sometimes has a drawback. A good example are HFR movies. If 24 frames per second is good, then 48 frames per second should be twice as good. A lot of people who saw the Hobbit in HFR didn't like it.

RAM, cpu, gpu and other specs should make the experience seemless and smooth. Whatever the OS needs should be provided as exceeding what is needed has drawbacks just like HFR movies. In the case of mobile devices, you will end up with worse battery life, unless the new hardware has better technology which will allow you to increase specs, but not degrade performance. And to me, battery life is a performance function.
    nquyen and soulenigma like this.
    07-18-13 06:55 AM
    ..... Much like Arma, Android requires higher end specs because it is a more poorly written OS. BlackBerry does NOT need these specs.
    This is just utterly false. You have it reversed man. BlackBerry 10 is the OS that is so poorly written that it requires high end specs. Want proof? I challenge you to name a single version of the Android OS that won't run on the PlayBook's hardware. There isn't one. Every single version of Android can run on the PlayBook's CPU and amount of ram.

So why is it that the PlayBook isn't powerful enough to run BlackBerry 10?

07-18-13 06:57 AM
    RAM, cpu, gpu and other specs should make the experience seemless and smooth. Whatever the OS needs should be provided as exceeding what is needed has drawbacks just like HFR movies. In the case of mobile devices, you will end up with worse battery life, unless the new hardware has better technology which will allow you to increase specs, but not degrade performance. And to me, battery life is a performance function.
    I agree about battery life, and don't care about the resolution for me personally. I am ok with 720p if I get a 50% increase in battery life. However, it needs at least 32 gig of internal storage. I would also like more ram, at least one gig more. BB10 seems to be ram hungry.
    07-18-13 07:00 AM
    But hey, at least you'll be happy I guess, too bad they didn't give you that downgrade to 1gb of ram you had hoped for, maybe next time.
    Now you are just being a mule's behind. Please show me where I hope for a downgrade of anything, including RAM. I was just point out that you were wrong to say that BB10 couldn't run with less than 2GB of RAM. I just proved you wrong.

I care more about the performance of my phone vs the specs. The same with my cars. If you had a car with 300 hp but it weighed 6000 lbs (Android), I would be able to run circles around you with a car with 250 hp, but weighted 2000 lbs. (BB10). But in your world, you have better specs. Good for you. I will be waiting at the finish line for you.
    07-18-13 07:01 AM
    I agree about battery life, and don't care about the resolution for me personally. I am ok with 720p if I get a 50% increase in battery life. However, it needs at least 32 gig of internal storage. I would also like more ram, at least one gig more. BB10 seems to be ram hungry.
    I understand why just the 16GB of RAM with the ability to add. It limits the product to just one SKU and makes stocking easier. And developers should be designing for SD cards. I know the app that I am writing will give the user the option of storing all app data on the memory cards. I see that one of the map software companies are doing the same. Game developers need to do this also.

BB10 isn't as RAM hungry as people make it out to be. It just sees what RAM is available and uses it.
    07-18-13 07:06 AM
    There is a point where specs reach a maximum limit of functionality. A perfect example is 32 bit graphics. There is no use of 64 bit video cards as a 32 bit video card already displays more colours than the human eye can see. ppi limits of the human eye are another example. Exceeding limits just for the sake of excess sometimes has a drawback. A good example are HFR movies. If 24 frames per second is good, then 48 frames per second should be twice as good. A lot of people who saw the Hobbit in HFR didn't like it.

You say battery life is an issue?

BB use a 2800 MHz battery for their A10 while their competitors use a 3000 MHz battery for their new phones. What's up with that?

While BB competitors always enhance their phone users' experiences with the biggest battery in the market, what do BB do? They can offer half-hearted 2800MHz battery solution.

I'm not here to question BB's abilities because they can use the best hardware for their phones if they want. In this case, why can they only offer a 2800 Mhz battery for their phones while their competitors offer 3000 Mhz?

BB can't offer a half-hearted solution for a battery life issue and use it as a lame excuse for not putting the best hardware in their phone while asking us to pay top dollars for their phones. BB efforts really bother me.
    07-18-13 07:15 AM
    Now you are just being a mule's behind. Please show me where I hope for a downgrade of anything, including RAM. I was just point out that you were wrong to say that BB10 couldn't run with less than 2GB of RAM. I just proved you wrong.

I care more about the performance of my phone vs the specs. The same with my cars. If you had a car with 300 hp but it weighed 6000 lbs (Android), I would be able to run circles around you with a car with 250 hp, but weighted 2000 lbs. (BB10). But in your world, you have better specs. Good for you. I will be waiting at the finish line for you.
    You proved me wrong how? Your reading comprehnison still hasn't improved any man.

I repeatedly said "BlackBerry 10 requires more than 1gb of ram to function properly". And it does. It really really does. BlackBerry's President and CEO seems to agree. I never said it wouldn't work at all, in fact I've tried it and have always said it somewhat works, but not as intended. But of course you know what I said. You just act like you can't read when it is convienent.

Your spec vs car weight makes no sense either. Android isn't a slouch any more. Jelly Bean is awesome. I have ran Jelly Bean on devices with dual core cpus and 1gb of ram and it still runs buttery smooth. It isn't like Android is still on Donut afterall. In my opinion, I have better specs and a better OS on my Nexus 4. If you're a BlackBerry fanboy, you'll probably disagree, but erm I'm not a fanboy of any platform. I can honestly say that I try a lot of different devices instead of just blindly supporting one company no matter what. My opinions are based on my experiences with multiple platforms. Not just one

Last edited by Saiga; 07-18-13 at 07:32 AM.
    07-18-13 07:16 AM
    You proved me wrong how? Your reading comprehnison still hasn't improved any man.

I repeatedly said "BlackBerry 10 requires more than 1gb of ram to function properly". And it does. It really really does. BlackBerry's President and CEO seems to agree. I never said it wouldn't work at all, in fact I've tried it and have always said it somewhat works, but not as intended. But of course you know what I said. You just act like you can't read when it is convienent.

Your spec vs car weight makes no sense either. Android isn't a slouch any more. Jelly Bean is awesome. I have ran Jelly Bean on devices with dual core cpus and 1gb of ram and it still runs buttery smooth. It isn't like Android is still on Donut afterall. In my opinion, I have better specs and a better OS on my Nexus 4. If you're a BlackBerry fanboy, you'll probably disagree, but erm I'm not a fanboy of any platform. I can honestly say that I try a lot of different devices instead of just blindly supporting one company no matter what. My opinions are based on my experiences with multiple platforms. Not just one

We have multiple platforms in our company so you are wrong again!
    07-18-13 07:43 AM
    You say battery life is an issue?

BB use a 2800 MHz battery for their A10 while their competitors use a 3000 MHz battery for their new phones. What's up with that?

While BB competitors always enhance their phone users' experiences with the biggest battery in the market, what do BB do? They can offer half-hearted 2800MHz battery solution.

I'm not here to question BB's abilities because they can use the best hardware for their phones if they want. In this case, why can they only offer a 2800 Mhz battery for their phones while their competitors offer 3000 Mhz?

BB can't offer a half-hearted solution for a battery life issue and use it as a lame excuse for not putting the best hardware in their phone while asking us to pay top dollars for their phones. BB efforts really bother me.
    So please tell us what the battery life in the A10 is vs the 3000 Mhz one? You like to quote specs, but you don't have any real world comparison to know which is actually the best for the platform.

Why don't you look at a real world example. The iPad 2 vs the iPad 3. The iPad 3 had a 70% bigger battery, but the same battery life. So putting in a bigger battery doesn't mean more battery life. But who cares about real world performance as long as the numbers are bigger. Number are all that matter, not usage. NOT
    07-18-13 07:50 AM

2-VHS vs DVDs

Stating that Letmein has forgotten that, "consumers' experiences won't be enhanced if hardware specs aren't improved" doesn't negate his/her original point that ios is feature rich and delivers a fluid experience.....all with supposedly subpar specs (relative to android in particular).
    I believe that bb10 doesn't need the same horse power as android does to deliver a similar (or better experience) just as ios doesn't. Yes, as the needs of the os dictates, "more power" will need to come to handle and enhance future features and the experience of of those features. That is the natural progression of technology. But let's see what type of feature set and "experience" can be had with the current iteration of bb10 first before we insist on a pissing contest with Android.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 07:55 AM
    We have multiple platforms in our company so you are wrong again!
    When did I say you don't use multiple platforms in your company?

When did I say you personally don't use more than one platform?

I never said either of those things so how am I wrong? See, talking to you is like talking to a wall. Your reading comprehension is just so horrible. I'm not the only one here that has noticed it either. I'm thinking you must do it on purpose. Hopefully any way.

For the record, me talking about my personal experiences doesn't mean I'm saying anything about your's. You would understand that if you worked on your reading comprehension skills.

You are wrong!!!! -

07-18-13 07:58 AM
    When did I say you don't use multiple platforms in your company?

When did I say you personally don't use more than one platform?

I never said either of those things so how am I wrong? See, talking to you is like talking to a wall. Your reading comprehension is just so horrible. I'm not the only one here that has noticed it either. I'm thinking you must do it on purpose. Hopefully any way.

For the record, me talking about my personal experiences doesn't mean I'm saying anything about your's. You would understand that if you worked on your reading comprehension skills.

You are wrong!!!! -
    Pot meet kettle.
    07-18-13 08:03 AM
    That isn't the point! You will never understand the point. So many people have tried to reason with you and explain it for you, yet you don't grasp it.

The point is, the A10 is a flagship device launching at the end of 2013, that will end up coming with a flagship price tag, and hardware from 2011.

Completely honest question here. Has anyone at blackberry ever suggested that the a10 is a "flagship" device? I don't think anyone has.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 08:11 AM
    So please tell us what the battery life in the A10 is vs the 3000 Mhz one? You like to quote specs, but you don't have any real world comparison to know which is actually the best for the platform.

Why don't you look at a real world example. The iPad 2 vs the iPad 3. The iPad 3 had a 70% bigger battery, but the same battery life. So putting in a bigger battery doesn't mean more battery life. But who cares about real world performance as long as the numbers are bigger. Number are all that matter, not usage. NOT
    Ipad 3 has a 70% bigger battery than ipad 2? Where did you get this source?

Ipad 3 has 11560 mAh while ipad2 has 6944 mAh . Apples use a big ipad 3's battery to accommodate its hardware configuration.

Apple iPad 3 vs Apple iPad 2 - Phone specs comparison
    07-18-13 08:12 AM
    Ipad 3 has a 70% bigger battery than ipad 2? Where did you get this source?

Ipad 3 has 11560 mAh while ipad2 has 6944 mAh . Apples use a big ipad 3's battery to accommodate its hardware configuration.

Apple iPad 3 vs Apple iPad 2 - Phone specs comparison
    iPad 3 teardown: my god, it’s full of lithium ions | Ars Technica

But you never did comment that even with your battery specs, that the real world performance of the device in battery life is the same. So numbers don't tell the real story.
    07-18-13 08:21 AM
    I was so wrong about the A10. I remember telling a few people here that they may want to wait for the A10 and not buy a Z10. My reasoning was the Z10's hardware was less than top of the line and the A10 was still being called the high-end BlackBerry 10 phone. Back in those days, everyone was talking quad-core cpu and increased ram, 1080p and more internal storage. All the talk was pointing at the A10 being the BlackBerry 10 device to own. I foolishly thought Z10 owners would have buyer's remorse shortly after their purchase.

Boy was I ever wrong. I honestly thought BlackBerry was going to create a flagship device with current hardware. Something they could really be proud of, but nope, that ain't happening. Instead, they are releasing the spirtual successor to the Storm line. A dud that simply won't be competitive in its target market.

BlackBerry fooled me and a lot of others into believing the A10 was going to be something special. It's almost like they have blinders on and can't see what the competition has been doing for the last few years.

Lol yeah. QNX doesn't need better specs but even so I was still under the impression that the A10 would have them. It was supposed to be the new flagship and wow everyone.

I'm now very glad I didn't wait and went for the Z10, and honestly, out of the two I'd still prefer the Z10. I think I'll be sticking with the Z series because of the size and removable battery.

Can't wait to see a Z20

Cannon to the right of them,
    Cannon to the left of them,
    Cannon in front of them
    Volley'd and thunder'd;
    "STORM"'d at by shorts from hell,
    "BOLD"ly they typed and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    To teach them the meaning of
    SELL LIKE HELL!
    07-18-13 08:34 AM
    Man you guys are so shortsighted.

The A10 needs better specs, end of story. If your smart you won't buy it. Its almost obsolete when it's released!

Why choose A10 over the competition then if the OS is not as stable, the battery not as good, the hardware not as future proof?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 09:20 AM
    Completely honest question here. Has anyone at blackberry ever suggested that the a10 is a "flagship" device? I don't think anyone has.

Posted via CB10
    More than once.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 09:35 AM
    Man you guys are so shortsighted.

The A10 needs better specs, end of story. If your smart you won't buy it. Its almost obsolete when it's released!

Why choose A10 over the competition then if the OS is not as stable, the battery not as good, the hardware not as future proof?

Posted via CB10
    How long do you keep your phones? Do you have a Z10? How poor is the performance of your Z10 if you own one? If the performance is great, how would new hardware make it better?
    07-18-13 09:41 AM
    I partially agree with you, but you are exaggerating. Based on the rumored specs, the CPUs on the A10 are equivalent to a dual core Snapdragon 600. The CPU should be about 20-30% faster than the Z10's processor according to:
    AnandTech | Qualcomm's Next-Gen Krait 400 & Krait 300 Announced in Snapdragon 800 & 600 SoCs

The GPU has been improved more significantly. Anandtech says it's about twice as fast

There is also a guy in the forums (who started the chipset thread) who found evidence that the low-light performance of the camera will be improved.

So the A10 will be a more powerful phone than the Z10. If you look at Moore's law, which says performance doubles every 2 years, that's equivalent to about 40% per year, and A10 is launching (it seems) 7 or 8 months after Z10 with 20%-100% improvement in key performance figures

But as many have argued, Blackberry started behind the competition and it seems they aren't closing the gap. Lots of arguments about 720p vs 1080p. In my oppinion it will be difficult to impossible to see a difference, but nevertheless A10 will be widely criticized for lacking 1080p. A10 will probably run very nicely on the new hardware, but unfortunately Blackberry will face a chorus of 'why isn't it a quad-core Snapdragon 800 ???'

The Z10 works great for you, that's good. But it doesn't mean they should have basically re-released the same phone with a larger screen and called it a day. Look around you, do you not notice all of the disappointed BlackBerry fans here? If BlackBerry's biggest fans aren't happy with the A10, how will everyday consumers feel about it?
    hf199 likes this.
    07-18-13 10:41 AM
    But as many have argued, Blackberry started behind the competition and it seems they aren't closing the gap. Lots of arguments about 720p vs 1080p. In my oppinion it will be difficult to impossible to see a difference, but nevertheless A10 will be widely criticized for lacking 1080p. A10 will probably run very nicely on the new hardware, but unfortunately Blackberry will face a chorus of 'why isn't it a quad-core Snapdragon 800 ???'
    Yes. A lot of people make fun of Apple fans as iSheep. I think there is a new sheep species. SpecSheep. These are people who want better specs even when it makes no performance gains. They just get herded around by large numbers. BB should make an addon chip and call it a coremultiplexer and put it in the A10. The coremultiplexer has a system setting that ask you how many cores your friends phone has. It them multiplies that by a factor of 2 and tells you that your phone has twice as many cores. That will make the specSheep happy.
    07-18-13 10:52 AM
210 12345 ...