Quad core isn't a developers delight. Takes effort to use more cores. Faster CPU with less cores is better.

Posted via CB10
    Yep...goes with what I've been saying about how there are many applications on desktop computers that don't even utilize quad cores...and now we're expecting it as a common practice on smartphones, lol...

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-16-13 02:48 PM
    Quad core is no go. There is no os or app using quadcore

Posted via CB10
    Future proofing devices, not?
    07-16-13 03:43 PM
    I don't consider the a10 a replacement for the z10.

It's too big at 5in. I like the size of the z10. Doesn't offer more spec wise and I prefer the back of the z10 to the material the q10 and a10 uses. I also prefer the sd card and microsim under the back casing rather than removable from the side. I have taken either card out once. And the resolution is the same! I'll take the z10's higher ppi over a bigger screen.

I think not giving it more internal memory was a mistake. The must know that is a big complaint with many users over app storage.

And does it seriously not have a removable battery?!.

I'm going to go ahead and say the z10 is a better phone overall for me.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 03:57 PM
    All blackberry needs is native app support from the top developers. THATS IT!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 04:22 PM
    The gpu will dramatically improve its response speed. I would be willing to bet that the a10 is much snappier with the included gpu than it would be with a quad core cpu. The only thing I wish was spec'd higher is the RAM. 3 gigs of RAM and I would be very excited for the device.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-16-13 04:24 PM
    ^^^^

Me too

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 05:00 PM
    Thanks! Didn't know that. I hope it runs as smoothly as it would on device memory

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 05:02 PM
    Two more cores would drive up battery drain materially -- power budget is EVERYTHING on a mobile device folks. This is the 900lb Gorilla in the room.

More flash memory is expensive. Going from 16-32GB adds a material amount of cost at the manufacturing level. With the SD slot you have the ability to "roll your own" for data purposes -- the question is what is the risk of being memory-constrained?

As for RAM, that might have made a difference in performance (going from 2-3Gb) but without profiling the OS in heavy use there's no way to know. BlackBerry knows though. And RAM is not particularly expensive -- if they believed it would matter I suspect they would have included it.
    STV0726 likes this.
    07-16-13 05:12 PM
    ^^^^

What about the camera? It looks like they are speccing it with the same camera as the z10 and q10.

I don't need a huge upgrade but a bump up would be nice. Another great idea would be to put in a high res front facing camera. With a 5 inch phone there's room to play with and they could stagger the two cameras. Put a 5+ mp camera on the front to appeal to the young ladies who want to easily take self pics for Facebook. That would be a real differentiating feature

And will the a10 really lack a removable battery? That's pretty disappointing

I hope blackberry does bump up the specs a bit compared to the leak because it's clear a lot of people are kind of disappointed, although I have no doubt the os will be super snappy with an upgraded cpu and gpu

Wish list , in order of preference
    1. Better rear camera
    2. 32 gb storage, or the option to upgrade storage like the iPhone has (charge an extra $100 for the storage option - I'd buy)
    3. 3 or 4 gb memory
    4. Hi res Better front camera (add an option to downgrade the res for video chats)
    5. A higher clocked or faster cpu
    6. Quad core cpu
    7. Removable battery - it's a security issue too... which I always thought BlackBerry knew and that's why they're big on removable batteries. if you turn off the phone and remove the battery it ensures absolute privacy

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 05:31 PM
    Quad core is no go. There is no os or app using quadcore

Posted via CB10
    There isn't now.. but why not build a phone that will last more then two years on the shelf before it goes playbook on our @ss

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 05:35 PM
    [thread moved]
    07-16-13 06:29 PM
    To the people saying "it is too big, my z10 is the perfect size, not enough to make me ditch my z10, etc" that's fine, it is not for you. People are looking at this all wrong, it is not meant to be a replacement for z10 users, it is simply another form factor to the mix. Just like the q10 is bb10 in a keyboard phone, the A10 (or whatever it will be called) is bb10 in a phablet form.

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 likes this.
    07-17-13 12:11 AM
    To the people saying "it is too big, my z10 is the perfect size, not enough to make me ditch my z10, etc" that's fine, it is not for you. People are looking at this all wrong, it is not meant to be a replacement for z10 users, it is simply another form factor to the mix. Just like the q10 is bb10 in a keyboard phone, the A10 (or whatever it will be called) is bb10 in a phablet form.

Posted via CB10
    see your point, but i think they mean that they would prefer the Z10 over the A10 because of the screensizes. it's their opinion. it's like saying "i don't like durian, but i love pineapples".
    although i actually can't see a that big difference between 4'2" and 5" (i've got a lenovo which has a 5" display). i can't feel much difference...

Follow me on Twitter @yibeilein
    07-17-13 03:11 AM
    BlackBerry don't need quadcore.

Android need quadcore because the Os need 3 cores to run kinda normal and 1 core for apps

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    07-17-13 03:21 AM
    BlackBerry don't need quadcore.

Android need quadcore because the Os need 3 cores to run kinda normal and 1 core for apps

Posted via CB10

The Galaxy S3, DROID Razrs, and HTC One X would like to have a word with you

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    07-17-13 07:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    I see your point, but one reason for the comments (at least mine) is the way people have been talking about A10 up to now. Many have been expecting A10 to be the upcoming FLAGSHIP device, not just another BB10 device variation that you have mentioned. In that context, it would be natural for the owners of the current touch-screen Z10 device having the desire to upgrade to the newer model. However, as you can see from the posts, many don't see a good reason to upgrade based on A10's current specs! And, to me that's a disappointment!

Posted via Z10
    07-17-13 07:16 AM
    8 meg camera?
    No stereo speakers?
    Lower res display them z1O?
    Looks like a fat z10?

Big pass. Not going to bring anyone new to BlackBerry and sales will be lackluster.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    I believe it does have Stereo Speakers.

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    07-17-13 07:46 AM
    I believe it does have Stereo Speakers.

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    That would be cool

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 07:11 PM
    All the hatred towards the A10 is so similar to when the 5 inch Galaxy Note first came out. Stop living in the past you BlackBerry people, lol. It turns out pretty well when you embrace the larger device, especially battery life.
    hf199 likes this.
    07-17-13 07:42 PM
    I like A10 so much
    07-17-13 09:17 PM
    All the hatred towards the A10 is so similar to when the 5 inch Galaxy Note first came out. Stop living in the past you BlackBerry people, lol. It turns out pretty well when you embrace the larger device, especially battery life.
    I'm fine with BBRY making a phablet. I just want more ram and especially more storage.
    07-17-13 10:40 PM
    Really needs a quad core with a faster cpu speed, a better camera and more internal storage... I mean would it REALLY be that hard to give it 32 gb of storage, if nothing else?

Posted via CB10
    Personally, the on device storage is only for apps. Everything else goes on a MicroSD card. So 16GB for me is actually pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 10:45 PM
    If specs don't sell phones, please answer my questions

Have you seen a phone company release 2 new phones with identical hardware configuration?
    Would you pay 600 dollars to replace an old phone with a new one when both of them have the same phone hardware configuration while one has OS 6.1 and another has OS 6.1.2 or 6.2 or 7.0?

Buying a phone is like buying a computer. When you spend 2000 dollars to buy a Dell computer, you don't spend this amount for MS windows 8 pro. Windows 8 pro OEM only costs 130 dollars. The more money you spend for a computer or a phone, the better your phone or computer is.
    07-17-13 11:30 PM
    If specs don't sell phones, please answer my questions

Have you seen a phone company release 2 new phones with identical hardware configuration?
    Would you pay 600 dollars to replace an old phone with a new one when both of them have the same phone hardware configuration while one has OS 6.1 and another has OS 6.1.2 or 6.2 or 7.0?

Buying a phone is like buying a computer. When you spend 2000 dollars to buy a Dell computer, you don't spend this amount for MS windows 8 pro. Windows 8 pro OEM only costs 130 dollars. The more money you spend for a computer or a phone, the better your phone or computer is.
    This is false. I buy a new computer or upgrade when I need better specs yes, but unlike computers, phones have not reached functions that require monster specs. My iPhone 3GS still runs applications quite smoothly. Why is there a need for the 5? Not for better specs but for a better experience i.e bigger screen. Android phones have created an inane misconception that modern phones NEED these specs to run at smooth or even functional levels. There's much more than meets the eye than specs when it comes to technology. For example the wildly popular game "Arma 2" runs on a poorly written engine and as a result what would be considered a fairly good PC, struggles to get even 30 fps. Much like Arma, Android requires higher end specs because it is a more poorly written OS. BlackBerry does NOT need these specs. Phones are purely experience driven. iPhones continue to vastly outsell their "superior" android counterparts; and yet iphones continues to dominate with inferior specs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-18-13 05:16 AM
    The specs are rather disappointing, especially the integrated battery.

And yet I find myself strangely relieved...it validates my Z10 purchase lol. I was thinking that the A10 would make the Z10 look obsolete. But that doesn't appear to be the case at all.

I was so wrong about the A10. I remember telling a few people here that they may want to wait for the A10 and not buy a Z10. My reasoning was the Z10's hardware was less than top of the line and the A10 was still being called the high-end BlackBerry 10 phone. Back in those days, everyone was talking quad-core cpu and increased ram, 1080p and more internal storage. All the talk was pointing at the A10 being the BlackBerry 10 device to own. I foolishly thought Z10 owners would have buyer's remorse shortly after their purchase.

Boy was I ever wrong. I honestly thought BlackBerry was going to create a flagship device with current hardware. Something they could really be proud of, but nope, that ain't happening. Instead, they are releasing the spirtual successor to the Storm line. A dud that simply won't be competitive in its target market.

BlackBerry fooled me and a lot of others into believing the A10 was going to be something special. It's almost like they have blinders on and can't see what the competition has been doing for the last few years.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    07-18-13 05:18 AM
210 1234 ...