I'm planning on purchasing a DIY alarm system. Conveniently all these companies don't build any apps for the BlackBerry platform.

Is there a way I can side load an app made for android directly from my phone opposed to downloading an entire bunch of files on a desktop and then transferring over?

If so, can anyone direct me on how to do it?

Thanks a million!!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 06:24 PM
    You don't need to sideload android apps on bb10. Just click on the android app and it will install directly.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-03-15 06:28 PM
    I'm planning on purchasing a DIY alarm system. Conveniently all these companies don't build any apps for the BlackBerry platform.

Is there a way I can side load an app made for android directly from my phone opposed to downloading an entire bunch of files on a desktop and then transferring over?

Thanks a million!!

Posted via CB10
    If the app for your system is found in the Amazon app store or Snap, you can search for it just like you would in BBW. CLick and it installs.

If it's not in the stores and you need an apk, you need to find the apk and copy it to your phone. Then you can click the apk and install it directly to your phone.
    01-03-15 06:32 PM

Thanks a million!!

Posted via CB10
    Built my own alarm but use envialink to send details to my phone and I use the Web page to turn my alarm on and off.

What app are you looking to use?

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 06:36 PM
    There's 2 options. The "Piper" and the "iSmartAlarm".

Both of these wireless hone alarm cameras work with the app to provide smart home alarm monitoring.

So by the responses I received, I just visit the Google Android store off my browser and Jusy download?

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 06:49 PM
    When I try to download this is the message I get...see pic

Easiest way to side load an Android app for Home alarm monitoring-img_20150103_195209.png

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 06:53 PM
    OK, you didn't say you had to obtain the apps from Google Play.

If this is the case, you need to sideload an app called Snap. This allows access to the Google Play Store from a BB10 device. You can then install any android app directly going forward.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=874153

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-03-15 07:27 PM
    Hi Conite,

Thanks for the link. So basically I will need a computer to assist in side loading SNAP?

I only ask as I can't open the file from my phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 07:43 PM
    The home security store has DIY systems like from visonic with a gsm sim card. You will get text alerts on intrusions. For video you can setup Lorex cameras but I can't get the ping app to work. I can still get emails of activity and may still be able to sign into it from the Web. Just getting started on the Lorex cameras.

Posted from a Z30. Get one!
    01-03-15 07:50 PM
    The snap access to Lorex didn't get me a working app so you would need verification still.

Posted from a Z30. Get one!
    01-03-15 07:52 PM
    Hi Conite,

Thanks for the link. So basically I will need a computer to assist in side loading SNAP?

I only ask as I can't open the file from my phone.

Posted via CB10
    That is correct. Instructions are in the link I gave you.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-03-15 08:25 PM
    Cobs00, I downloaded it and can send it to you via email or BBM if you like - just send me a personal message with your BlackBerry PIN or email address. Once you receive the APK, just open it directly on your phone and choose install. No side-loading of anything necessary. For what it is worth, I installed and started it on my Z30, and it launched fine and requested login to my account. I did not test further.
    I am on 10.3.1.1949.

In the end, though, you might consider going through the effort to get Snap side-loaded. It will open up a wealth of possibilities to you - including updates to your iSmartAlarm app as they become available.
    raino and southlander like this.
    01-03-15 08:38 PM
    What alarm system are you planning or have you purchases?

I just picked up a Honeywell Lynx Touch 5200 wireless home alarm. But I need to purchase the app from the Google Play Store.

Easiest way to side load an Android app for Home alarm monitoring-img_20150103_213911.png

Lucky for me there is a way to get the paid app from Google Play onto my Z30 and here's how.

http://blackberryempire.com/get-andr...blackberry-10/

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    01-03-15 08:48 PM
    Hey jhimmel, my BBM

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by cobs00; 01-04-15 at 02:08 AM.
    01-03-15 08:54 PM
    What alarm system are you planning or have you purchases?

I just picked up a Honeywell Lynx Touch 5200 wireless home alarm. But I need to purchase the app from the Google Play Store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150103_213911.png 
Views:	563 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	325173

Lucky for me there is a way to get the paid app from Google Play onto my Z30 and here's how.

http://blackberryempire.com/get-andr...blackberry-10/

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    I'm looking at getting any one of the wireless alarms mentioned above. One that also gets amazing reviews is " Smartthings.com".

All the ones I mentioned come with high ratings.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 08:57 PM
    Hey jhimmel, my BBM pin is ...

Posted via CB10
    BBM request already sent if you want to edit your post and remove your PIN from public view.
    raino likes this.
    01-03-15 09:25 PM
    I'm looking at getting any one of the wireless alarms mentioned above. One that also gets amazing reviews is " Smartthings.com".

All the ones I mentioned come with high ratings.

Posted via CB10
    OMG thanks for showing me this! I might do sell my Honeywell system and go with this Smartthings setup.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    01-03-15 09:31 PM
    Just loaded the Smartthings android app on my Z30 and it runs smooth as butter!

I'm going to do a little more research on whether or not it makes sense to use this as a home security solutions but it's definitely peaking my interest. Thanks OP for sharing, wish I had seen this month's ago. Now I might have to sell of the Honeywell System I just bought.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    01-03-15 10:06 PM
    Just loaded the Smartthings android app on my Z30 and it runs smooth as butter!

I'm going to do a little more research on whether or not it makes sense to use this as a home security solutions but it's definitely peaking my interest. Thanks OP for sharing, wish I had seen this month's ago. Now I might have to sell of the Honeywell System I just bought.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Ya man, it's actually pretty amazing. One of the users here wee kind enough to send me the SmartThings App. It's truly amazing. I ordered a kit to match my needs with a dropcam pro

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 02:12 AM
    Ya man, it's actually pretty amazing. One of the users here wee kind enough to send me the SmartThings App. It's truly amazing. I ordered a kit to match my needs with a dropcam pro

Posted via CB10
    And the app and all your components are working well? You're getting notifications? Do you have to have the app open at all times or can it run in the background?

I installed the Smartthings app from Google Play using SNAP last night and it seems to be running smoothly. If you validate some of the questions above, then I can determine if this is the right system for my family.

Then I'll need to sell my Honeywell Lynx Touch System . The Lynx system is good as it has both wifi control and Z-wave capabilities. However, it's remote notification and controls are limited through a monthly monitoring subscription function that's were they get you. I mean it's not bad @ $10 a month for the accessibility but why pay if Systems like Smartthings are available.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    01-04-15 07:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    I re-read this post, so you've ordered the kit ok. Let me know how it all goes, PM me if you'd like but I'm subscribing to the thread anyway. Have to sell the Honeywell before I invest.
    01-04-15 11:30 AM
    And the app and all your components are working well? You're getting notifications? Do you have to have the app open at all times or can it run in the background?

I installed the Smartthings app from Google Play using SNAP last night and it seems to be running smoothly. If you validate some of the questions above, then I can determine if this is the right system for my family.

Then I'll need to sell my Honeywell Lynx Touch System . The Lynx system is good as it has both wifi control and Z-wave capabilities. However, it's remote notification and controls are limited through a monthly monitoring subscription function that's were they get you. I mean it's not bad @ $10 a month for the accessibility but why pay if Systems like Smartthings are available.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    I actually just put an order for the system. I dont have it as of yet. But if you look at reviews, you will see it does all its supposed to do and more.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 10:11 PM
    I actually just put an order for the system. I dont have it as of yet. But if you look at reviews, you will see it does all its supposed to do and more.

Posted via CB10
    Ya, since you've brought this to my attention. I've been doing a ton of research, even put my Honeywell system that I just got in the mail up for sale lol!

Let's keep in touch, you'll obviously get your system in and up and running way before I will. I'd like hear what your first impressions are about it.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    01-05-15 07:10 AM
    For sure sounds good.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 12:12 PM
    Resurrecting this thread. I got my Honeywell System returned and I'm getting serious about the Smartthings system. Anyone else using it and having success with Blackberry10?
    01-14-15 08:08 PM
34 12