So it was Saturday night and I went out with friends for a few drinks and then headed to a nightclub...was checking my messages while talking to a friend and his hand brushed my phone and the phone fell face down on concrete....

As you can see the end result is not pretty and i'm so mad at myself for not using the case I bought. Surprisingly the phone is still fully functional.

I do have a Z10 as a backup if this stops working.. hopefully Z30 lasts me until the Passport comes out.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 08-03-14 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Pic deleted at OP's request.
    08-03-14 02:27 PM
    Oh god that was the wrong picture...if the mods can delete that one...

Dropped my Z30...-img_20140803_131950.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 02:28 PM
    Lol I was gonna say...
    bambinoitaliano and GodGibson like this.
    08-03-14 02:28 PM
    At least it's Z30 not your child.
    GodGibson likes this.
    08-03-14 02:30 PM
    I think moderator should keep both pictures. It will add to some fun remarks.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 02:35 PM
    I was like "went to the bar, dropped the phone, end result wasn't pretty......WHY IS IT A PICTURE OF A BABY?!?!" I admit I lol'd.
    08-03-14 02:39 PM
    This is what happened to my phone when it fell on a carpeted floor.... Dropped my Z30...-dsc_0123.jpg
    I was comparing both the breakages. Even though your Z30 fell on the concrete floor, the damage to the screen is lesser than mine which cracked almost 100%. This only proves the fact that BlackBerry devices that are being sold in India have poor quality raw materials. No wonder they can afford such huge price cuts.
    joeragan likes this.
    08-03-14 02:41 PM
    I was like "went to the bar, dropped the phone, end result wasn't pretty......WHY IS IT A PICTURE OF A BABY?!?!" I admit I lol'd.
    He was so wasted he thought the baby was the z30, lol. I wonder if he was trying to do a swipe on the baby. Lol , or trying to make a call

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 02:42 PM
    This is what happened to my phone when it fell on a carpeted floor.... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0123.jpg 
Views:	5310 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	288764
    I was comparing both the breakages. Even though your Z30 fell on the concrete floor, the damage to the screen is lesser than mine which cracked almost 100%. This only proves the fact that BlackBerry devices that are being sold in India have poor quality raw materials. No wonder they can afford such huge price cuts.
    Thank god it was carpet. Lol, hate to see it if it fell on tile floor!!

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 02:43 PM
    This is what happened to my phone when it fell on a carpeted floor.... Click image for larger version. 

See that doesn't make sense to me, my z10 has fallen on basically everything. Tiled floors, carpet floors, wood, roads, etc. It has fallen on some of the worst grounds imaginable and I do have a few dents, but never a cracked screen. Maybe I was lucky, but I've read other people posting on the forums about how their devices did crazy falls too without it breaking too much. Which is why I'm a little confused, generally BlackBerry phones have good build quality, how did the z30 get damaged like that? Does anyone know if z30's were produced differently than z10's?

Posted with the beautiful white Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247
    08-03-14 02:54 PM
    I have unfortunately dropped my phone numerous times but it never broke. This time though it fell really hard.

I have owned Samsung and iPhone and BlackBerry definitely has better build quality than both in my experience.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-03-14 03:18 PM
    There is a lot to consider when a phone drops. Just dropping on the screen doesn't mean it will shatter.

If the initial impact was on a corner where the stress points are higher then more chances the glass will give way and break.

If it was as simple as just dropping a phone and seeing if it breaks manufacturers wouldn't spend all this time doing extra tests.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 03:37 PM
    These are the types of posts and pictures that keep my Z30 in its Otter Box Commuter.

Posted via CB10
    astrodan13 likes this.
    08-03-14 04:10 PM
    Thank god it was carpet. Lol, hate to see it if it fell on tile floor!!

Posted via CB10
    If this is true, this tell us one thing, the rounded coners doesn't help, therefore the passport with sq corners is just fine. Since if it drop on the corners, rounded still would not help, anyone would agree on this??
    08-03-14 04:45 PM
    What happened to the original picture?? No longer a fun thread!!!...lol

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 05:24 PM
    If this is true, this tell us one thing, the rounded coners doesn't help, therefore the passport with sq corners is just fine. Since if it drop on the corners, rounded still would not help, anyone would agree on this??
    To my knowledge, not that it applies in this case, sharp corners have high stress concentrations. Rounding said corners reduces the stress concentration.

As for the glass, my guess is the high quality construction of the device doesn't do much in the way of absorbing shock. The frame might hold up just fine, but the screen will not. A cheap plastic frame might have spared the glass screen; though it would probably break the frame.

On a related note, I dropped my Z10 from a height of about 4' onto concrete, and it only has a barely noticeable nick in the battery door. Albeit, I had it in a leather swivel holster with the door facing outward.
    range_rover likes this.
    08-03-14 05:48 PM
    Ok, so I just gotta ask: your name isn't really Attaturk (or Ataturk) is it?
    08-03-14 05:49 PM
    Very easy to fix, harder to find the part in the UK tho.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy white Z30 rocking10.2.1.3175
    08-03-14 06:47 PM
    My kids have both broken their Z30's glass, it is definitely weaker than all other Berrys. I suspect it is because it is literally a slab of glass on plastic with zero protection around it. Fear not though, to replace the glass is crazy easy, takes less than 10 min. Suffice to say, I have now mandated an Otterbox Defender case and they are not allowed to remove it. Oh, and just for giggles, I took a key to the unbroken bits to see how tough it was, and not a single scratch no matter how hard I pushed.

Here is a cheap OEM screen on Ebay: New Blackberry Phone Z30 LCD Screen Digitizer Part Black | eBay

Here is the video showing you how:

Its very very easy dude.
    08-03-14 06:52 PM
    I have to disagree with Anand Joshi1 about lesser quality parts being used for phones in certain markets. I'm curious as to where your Z30 was built and where the OP's Z30 was built. I have dropped my Z10 quite a few times though I do have in in a poetic bumper case & it's still rocking just fine. All it takes is dropping something on a sweet spot and you'll have maximum damage no matter where it is built. Rocking 24-7 with my Z10 & 16gb PlayBook.
    08-03-14 10:38 PM
    My phones go into the Otterbox case within MINUTES of being first opened from the packaging. They stay in the case forever, or get transferred to another Otterbox case.

Never had a broken screen, never had to use warranty for phones.

I suggest people to do the same, but apparently some people put form over function (even though I personally prefer the look of full black rugged cases over naked phones myself).

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    08-04-14 01:05 AM

I have dropped my phone on concrete and my phone Is still intact actually. Also I purchased it from India. Also my Z10 and my Q10 are purchased from India and I used a Q10 verizon too and I did not notice any quality change. Please stop talking irrationally. They use the same material everywhere and the quality in India of the phone is just as good as it is in Canada. Just because your phone took a fall in a awkward angle and your luck was bad to break it doesn't mean you blame the whole Indian device market for it.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 likes this.
    08-04-14 02:34 AM
    Oh god that was the wrong picture...if the mods can delete that one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140803_131950.jpg 
Views:	2142 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	288762

Posted via CB10
    At least it wasn't a **** pic.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-04-14 03:14 AM
    My kids have both broken their Z30's glass, it is definitely weaker than all other Berrys. I suspect it is because it is literally a slab of glass on plastic with zero protection around it. Fear not though, to replace the glass is crazy easy, takes less than 10 min. Suffice to say, I have now mandated an Otterbox Defender case and they are not allowed to remove it. Oh, and just for giggles, I took a key to the unbroken bits to see how tough it was, and not a single scratch no matter how hard I pushed.

Here is a cheap OEM screen on Ebay: New Blackberry Phone Z30 LCD Screen Digitizer Part Black | eBay

Here is the video showing you how:

Its very very easy dude.
    He is right, 5 minute job

Posted via CB10 for my beloved Z30 running 10.2.1.3247
    08-04-14 03:52 AM
    If you drop a phone and hits just right even the mighty rotten fruit phone will break. I guess people think only BB phones break and all the others are indestructable! Everything can break and every OS has its flaws, and if you complainers think you can write a OS better and make a better phone then step up and make the damn phone and bring it to market! Amazing
    08-04-14 07:05 AM
38 12